monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 03:48 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Fox is a propaganda organ of the GOP and for Trump (and for Murdoch himself). This move is predictable.
blatham

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 03:53 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
I think the misrepresentations were rather trivial. If the president didn't regularly mangle the English language, tell lies repeatedly, and demonstrate such a loose grasp of facts, reporters might not jump so quickly to these mistaken conclusions.
They were trivial. And as you suggest, far far less egregious than what Trump does pretty much every day.

Still, the two incidents noted, if as described, piss me off not merely for carelessness but for giving fodder to the morons who've bought into Trump's fake news con.
roger

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 03:56 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

And as you suggest, far far less egregious than what Trump does pretty much every day.

There you go, again. Soon, everybody on a2k is going to try to fit 'egregious' into a sentence - again.
blatham

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 03:57 pm
Quote:
"The big one is the Papadopoulos thing,” former CIA and National Security Agency Director Michael Hayden told me hours after the Manafort-Gates arraignments, following a Washington, D.C., panel he led on “Truth Tellers in the Bunker,” a reference to both the media and intelligence agencies that have reported on Russian interference in the 2016 election.

For Hayden, the Papadopoulos indictment underscored yet again how eager Team Trump was to collude with the Kremlin when its emissaries came bearing gifts of Clinton “dirt.”
Newsweek
0 Replies

snood

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 04:28 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

blatham wrote:

And as you suggest, far far less egregious than what Trump does pretty much every day.

There you go, again. Soon, everybody on a2k is going to try to fit 'egregious' into a sentence - again.

I find your intimation that we are all shallow mimics just... egregious.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
hightor

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 04:40 pm
I like this one —
Quote:
We have a lot of mental health problems as do other countries.

And when he mentioned a “mental health problem at the highest level” I immediately thought about the current occupant of the White House.
hightor

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 04:42 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
One part of the SHARE Act would prevent wolves from being returned to endangered status, ensuring that they can continue to be hunted.

What's your take on this?
ehBeth

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 05:02 pm
I wonder how many of the people who were killed yesterday were gun owners.

Likely not the 17 mo old.
0 Replies

roger

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 05:08 pm
@oralloy,
We used AP ammunition in basic with the old M-1 Garand. The reason given was that it was safer because it was less likely to ricochet.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 05:38 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Well, you can fit it into speech as well. However in that case, you'll want to be sure you pronounce it correctly.

"e" as in "eek"
"greg" as in "dredge"
"ious" as in "juice"
0 Replies

snood

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 06:11 pm
I'm a little stuck about this whole idea about the "citizen hero" in this case. So, let me get this straight... If I see someone running away after shooting some people and I have my rifle handy, I can just take off after him and try to kill him? The cops would be okay with it, and I get hailed as a citizen hero if I do that? Yeah? I just can't envision it. Why am I stuck on this?
farmerman

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 06:15 pm
ORAL SEZ:
Quote:
It's pretty good at protecting the people who carry guns when they go about in public
, I see your head is comfortably up yer ass once again. We cant even protect a president with an army of armed guards.
Gun Crimes = {f} number of guns in circulation
blatham

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 06:21 pm
@snood,
An understandable dilemma. Neither option is without serious negatives. I would shoot the fellow because he might do it again elsewhere that day or later on. That, for me, makes the decision easy. How can I, morally, not try to stop him?

But all of that is assuming I'd have it together emotionally and I am not certain I would.
snood

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 06:34 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

An understandable dilemma. Neither option is without serious negatives. I would shoot the fellow because he might do it again elsewhere that day or later on. That, for me, makes the decision easy. How can I, morally, not try to stop him?

But all of that is assuming I'd have it together emotionally and I am not certain I would.

(Besides the obvious discrepancies in how police might respond to a large black man firing a rifle)
Isn't that vigilanteeism? (not sure of the spelling). Doesn't the law frown on laymen taking the law into their own hands?
blatham

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 06:46 pm
@snood,
Quote:
(Besides the obvious discrepancies in how police might respond to a large black man firing a rifle)
Yeah. I admit I hadn't considered that very real aspect. If you have a girlfriend who is good with makeup, perhaps you could have her give you some freckles. That's pretty certain to confuse a racist cop and maybe give you an extra 2 or 3 seconds to explain.
Quote:
Isn't that vigilanteeism? (not sure of the spelling). Doesn't the law frown on laymen taking the law into their own hands?
Normally, yes (although in some states, they'd erect a statue in your honor even if it had Charles Bronson's face). But in a case like this, with many witnesses, you'd be fine.