monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 12:56 pm
TV broadcaster stops running TV ad for Trump - I'm sure, conservatives will cry "foul" and quote the First Amendment to the United States Constitution immediately!

Walter Hinteler

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 12:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Oops: I didn't quote the headline of the above linked WP report correctly.
It really says:
Fox News stops running TV ad calling for Trump impeachment
revelette1

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 01:40 pm
The shooter wasn't mental (as Trump prematurely claimed), he was a man who got mad at his relatives, one of whom attended the church.

Quote:
SUTHERLAND SPRINGS, Tex. — The massacre here that killed more than two dozen people — the youngest of them just 18 months old — occurred amid an ongoing “domestic situation” involving the gunman and his relatives, at least one of whom had attended the church, law enforcement officials said Monday.

WP
hightor

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 01:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think the misrepresentations were rather trivial. If the president didn't regularly mangle the English language, tell lies repeatedly, and demonstrate such a loose grasp of facts, reporters might not jump so quickly to these mistaken conclusions.
Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 02:10 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
I think there should be a law against a reporter shoving a microphone in the face of a family member who just lost someone in an insane massacre. There is no good purpose for this. It is the height (or depth) of exploitation and appeal to sick curiosity.

I fully agree. I think the same of TV showing grieving families arriving at airports after a big plane crash.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 02:12 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
If only all the people who attend Sunday Service at every church across America come with automatic weapons and lots of ammunition then American church-goers will finally be safe.

Yes. Lots of places allow people to carry guns in church for that very reason.

The term "automatic weapons" implies full auto though. Full auto may be a bit much for self defense.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 02:13 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Gun ownership and the 2nd Amendment apparently has little effect on protecting us from deranged folks who are armed.

It's pretty good at protecting the people who carry guns when they go about in public. Not so good at protecting people who don't carry guns.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 02:14 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
The congressman who said he “would love to invalidate” the Endangered Species Act is closing in on his goal.

One part of the SHARE Act would prevent wolves from being returned to endangered status, ensuring that they can continue to be hunted. That's not the most important part of the bill by far, but it's there in one corner of the bill.
roger

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 02:16 pm
@revelette1,

revelette1 wrote:

The shooter wasn't mental (as Trump prematurely claimed), he was a man who got mad at his relatives, one of whom attended the church.

Actually, that would fit my definition of mental, but what do I know?
MontereyJack

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 02:31 pm
@oralloy,
No we dont. We hate people who use their guns to kill othhers and the enablers who make that possible.
ehBeth

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 02:32 pm
@roger,
welllllllllll, maybe his mother-in-law was a beeotch and she deserved to be shot. too bad she wasn't there eh.

__

the whole situation is nutty

when I heard the news yesterday, my initial reaction was

not surprised
not outraged
just life in America
<shrug>

not really any wonder that the folks at work who used to jockey for trips to the US are uhhh no it's ok, I can do it by conference call
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 02:34 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

and to think you can get em at Applebees

bwahahaha

<glad I'm not the only one who thought about that>
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 03:07 pm
@oralloy,
That is your specialty--total bullshit.
oralloy

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 03:20 pm
@MontereyJack,
As always, everything that I said was 100% true.
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 03:33 pm
@roger,
Probably nearly every murder seems like a crazy person did it, unless it was somehow justified and/or self defense.

My point was that Trump is too quick to fire off without waiting for facts, unless of course it was Charlottesville.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 03:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Two perfect examples of why Americans' trust in the New Media is so pathetically low, and if Sullivan really cares to explorable this lamentable state of affairs, she should pay attention to them.
Re Sullivan - You so don't know what you are talking about.
0 Replies