monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 10:06 am
We must recognize that the health of America's children is endangered because America's air is too clean.
Quote:
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) overhauled its external advisory boards Friday with new members representing various regulated industries and states, among other entities.

Among the dozens of new members to the Science Advisory Board, Clean Air Safety Advisory Committee and Board of Scientific Counselors are representatives of Phillips 66 Co., Southern Co. and the North Dakota Petroleum Council.

Some of the new advisers have controversial scientific views, including one who believes air quality is too clean for children, while the new members include multiple climate change skeptics.
Hill
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 10:14 am
"Populism" as understood on the modern right
Quote:
Matthew Yglesias‏Verified account @mattyglesias Nov 4
More Matthew Yglesias Retweeted Emma Sandoe
To be clear, Republicans are pushing a $1 trillion tax cut for business owners while saying there’s no money for kids’ health care.
0 Replies

snood

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 10:15 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Technically it's people who are familiar with the situation saying that, but yeah. Nothing we didn't know already but it's nice to see things moving along.

Guarantee they're going to throw the book at Flynn's son. I would.

The best part about all this is that these guys are such scumbags, you don't even have to feel slightly bad for them. I hope Mueller uses every tactic in the book to nail them to the wall.

Cycloptichorn

Yeah, I savor the irony of the General who chanted "lock her up" potentially getting locked up. Not sure I get your point that we "already knew" anything beyond the daily non-stop media speculation. I don't think we "know" anything Mueller is doing or going to do before Mueller or his officials tell us.
blatham

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 10:18 am
More of that exciting modern right wing "populism"
Quote:
Steven Greenhouse‏ @greenhousenyt 23h23 hours ago
Trump/GOP child tax credit is extended to families making $300,000 but does zilch for single mothers at minimum wage https://www.cbpp.org/blog/house-gops-child-tax-credit-expansion-excludes-millions-of-children-in-lower-income-working
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 10:21 am
@snood,
Quote:
Yeah, I savor the irony of the General who chanted "lock her up" potentially getting locked up.
That would be a very good first savoring. And if the fourth or fifth savoring would be Trump in jail, far far far better.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 10:50 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Technically it's people who are familiar with the situation saying that, but yeah. Nothing we didn't know already but it's nice to see things moving along.

Guarantee they're going to throw the book at Flynn's son. I would.

The best part about all this is that these guys are such scumbags, you don't even have to feel slightly bad for them. I hope Mueller uses every tactic in the book to nail them to the wall.

Cycloptichorn

Yeah, I savor the irony of the General who chanted "lock her up" potentially getting locked up. Not sure I get your point that we "already knew" anything beyond the daily non-stop media speculation. I don't think we "know" anything Mueller is doing or going to do before Mueller or his officials tell us.

Oh, there has been more than enough already revealed about Flynn to be able to confidently say that he would be charged with a crime, that's all I meant.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 11:22 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNv-hKPVAAEyfL2.jpg:large
georgeob1

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 11:34 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

A note of historical accuracy: The first primary election was in 1901, in Florida, and by 1916, 26 states (more than half) were holding primary elections. In 1920, New Hampshire was the first state to hold a primary election for presidential candidates. It wasn't anything new in 1980.
---
The influence of any one individual or group in a party is not a function of primary elections, or the debates which have now become traditional in the primary season. Primary elections are a tool, but certainly don't determine the leadership of either party.

Setanta is indulging in one of his pedantic moments.

My point was that State primary elections, which in the past few decades have replaced former state conventions and Caucuses in large numbers, have increasingly become the determiner of the party candidates for president. One can argue whether that constitutes the "leadership" of the party. Generally the elected candidate assumes ex officio a great deal of the leadership of his/her party, while for the unsuccessful party & candidate the situation is usually different. Today we see a very left wing leadership group heading the DNC, while, somewhat surprisingly, both Democrat Congressional leaders (Schumer and Pelosi) survived their significant defeats in the last election. In short it appears the Democrats have not yet come to terms with the last election and selected their leaders for the future - at least in the Congress.
blatham

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 11:45 am
Quote:
The risk of billionaire-funded media, the importance of archiving, and other takeaways from the demise of DNAInfo and Gothamist

Signs that the sites’ owner Joe Ricketts didn’t hold journalistic independence sacrosanct came soon after DNAinfo acquired Gothamist LLC, which promptly deleted at least five stories since 2010 about its new owner.
Niemanlab
blatham

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 11:51 am
Good god. How does America, under this President, avoid a serious crisis, constitutional or international?
Quote:
The U.S. president said he could not understand why a country of samurai warriors did not shoot down the [NK] missiles, the sources said.
Japan Times
farmerman

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 11:59 am
@blatham,
I see guys like Ryqn are more quickly distancing themselves from this idiot. Even pence, seems to be less "passionate" with his encomia for Plumpity.
BillW

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 12:02 pm
@blatham,
This shows the unrelenting, immature spite of the billionaire class, beginning with tRump!

blatham wrote:

Quote:
The risk of billionaire-funded media, the importance of archiving, and other takeaways from the demise of DNAInfo and Gothamist

Signs that the sites’ owner Joe Ricketts didn’t hold journalistic independence sacrosanct came soon after DNAinfo acquired Gothamist LLC, which promptly deleted at least five stories since 2010 about its new owner.
Niemanlab
BillW

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 12:09 pm
It is becoming completely apparent that the tRump Administration is going to eventually be declared a criminal organization by Mueller. The rampant criminal activity by many individuals is unbelievable, so sad!

His family businesses and campaign being criminal organizations is a given. But, the government? So-so sad.

Wilbur Ross is the current example with Russian business with sanctioned Russian Organizations that link to Putin! So-so-so sad!
0 Replies

snood

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 12:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
What should the focus be on?
Walter Hinteler

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 12:20 pm
The Paradise Papers will be the start of new discussions in many countries.

And the wealthy men in Trump's inner circle with links to tax havens will be questioned as well, I think. (Extensive offshore dealings by Donald Trump’s cabinet members, advisers and donors, including substantial payments from a firm co-owned by Vladimir Putin’s son-in-law to the shipping group of the US commerce secretary, Wilbur Ross.)

NYT: Kremlin Cash Behind Billionaire’s Twitter and Facebook Investments
NYT: Commerce Secretary’s Offshore Ties to Putin ‘Cronies’
georgeob1

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 12:26 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Well thank God you are not most people George. ...

I have no idea what you are blathering about here. You appear to be swinging at some ghosts of your own imagining.

Your comments here, and in other posts about Sarah Huckabee, appear to be rather hypocritically offensive. True believers might even call them sexist. I have made no mention of her at all.
0 Replies

BillW

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 12:38 pm
Everyone knows only tRump and his ilk (ie, the White Supremacists) can use ad hominems. You know that glitterbag, shame on you.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 01:23 pm
@georgeob1,
I see the member georgeob is indulging his customary pomposity. In our own lifetimes, Jimmy Carter, your saint Ronnie Ray-gun and Bill Clinton have been successful dark horses. There is no way of knowing who will emerge in the next two years. Your silly pontificating about the Democratic Party doesn't merit a response.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 01:37 pm
Is the **** getting deeper?

Do I misunderstand Donna Brizile saying she was told to shut up by the Clinton campaign and let them win the election?

wmwcjr

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 01:56 pm
@blatham,
I had to stop at 2:51. I couldn't stand to watch any more of it. Besides, I knew what that guy would say. I've heard it all before.

The people in that rally were just as potentially dangerous as pro-Soviet Communists. Quite thankfully, their cause would lose in WW2 and be relegated to the dustbin of history. Or was it? Just take a look at Hungary and elsewhere in Europe. (Of course, in Sweden antisemitism is found among some, if not many, of the Muslim immigrants. Jews have enemies from different quarters.)

Say, I've seen that stiff-arm salute before. Why, I do believe it was on display in Charlottesville. Oh, but surely there must be some misunderstanding! After all, they're "good people."

By the way, considering the rally was held in New York City, I wonder if President Trump's father was there. After all, he once participated in a Ku Klux Klan rally. Like father, like son, perhaps?