monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
Builder

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 03:30 am
@hightor,
Quote:
But the Russians evidently got a big bang for their buck:

And clever marketing is now a crime? All marketing carries a level of BS, and you'd have to be naive to think otherwise.

What this does tell me, is that the presidency doesn't have to be going to he/she who raises the most money (as if that was ever a democratic decision).

Quote:
Where did anyone claim that Russia spent more than the combined totals of the two candidates and their campaign committees?

The point you're missing, is that social media isn't a US-oriented tool. It's a global platform, and anyone can, and will, use it as they like. Hounding the sellers of advertising, for selling advertising, in a purported "free-market capitalist" state, is ludicrous.

Quote:
Where did anyone claim that the Russians even spent a comparable amount to that spent by the candidates?

Repeating yourself for the peanut gallery?

The effectiveness of their spend is where you need to focus.

Why did the US election campaigners fail, with their massive spend, where the insurgents succeeded, with so little monetary input, is the question.

blatham

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 03:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
Hi CI. I thought you might have decided to live in Bora Bora on the beach without wifi.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 03:47 am
@snood,
Quote:
Not since 2007 has there been such a concentration of US firepower in the Asia-Pacific region.
That's merely one decade. I suspect the author is juicing his story.
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 04:30 am
@Builder,
Quote:
And clever marketing is now a crime?

Who said it was?
Quote:
What this does tell me, is that the presidency doesn't have to be going to he/she who raises the most money (as if that was ever a democratic decision).

The amount of money legally raised in a political campaign is only a portion of the sums raised and spent on achieving political influence and maintaining political power.
Quote:

Repeating yourself for the peanut gallery?

No, just emphasizing that no one has made either claim — not greater than, nor even comparable to the amounts spent by the politicians and their backers.
Quote:
Why did the US election campaigners fail, with their massive spend, where the insurgents succeeded, with so little monetary input, is the question.

For one thing, as I already pointed out, campaign spending doesn't represent the total amount of money raised and used for political purposes.

In addition, the Russian-backed ads didn't need to be accurate or honest. They only had to attract the attention of the ignorant and incurious and most of these potential voters, as consumers of Murdoch media, were already susceptible to divisive rhetoric and fake news.
blatham

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 04:51 am
Fox News. Making conservatives stupider and more hateful day by day, every day.
Quote:
On Hannity, David Clarke calls CNN, MSNBC, The New York Times, Washington Post, and Huffington Post “terrorist sympathizers”
Clarke: "This attempt at muticulturalism has been a disaster. Cultures do not blend, they clash"
MM
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 05:56 am
Today's Voices From The Right
Quote:
For all the problems the president and his allies have had this year with the Republican Party (particularly in the U.S. Senate), their plight looks idyllic compared to that of their bitterest intraparty enemies, the #NeverTrump gang. As David Weigel of the Washington Post explains today, the core of the #NeverTrump movement has been regularly getting together under the auspices of a group calling itself the Meeting of the Concerned.

A lot of familiar names are apparently still in the movement: Weekly Standard editor William Kristol (who said of Trump “he’s dead to me” after the mogul’s infamous 2015 dismissal of John McCain’s POW saga); columnists Mona Charen (long associated with National Review, the magazine that early in 2016 devoted an entire issue to an effort to delegitimize Trump among conservatives) and Max Boot (a foreign-policy expert who has repeatedly challenged Trump’s mental fitness for office); Evan McMullin (who actually ran against Trump in the 2016 general election as an independent candidate); and a couple of ex-congressmen, Bob Inglis and David Jolly.

...“Donald Trump is reshaping the heart of the GOP into something that is very dark and very diseased,” said [former congressman] Inglis. “My nightmare scenario is a Republican Party that loses its soul. It’s one thing to lose an election. It’s another to lose your soul.”
NYMag
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 06:00 am
From the annals of Before and After
Quote:
“George Papadopoulos, he’s an energy and oil consultant, excellent guy,” boasted Donald Trump on March 21, 2016. But as frequently happens to the great, excellent, very, very top guys Trump surrounds himself with, Papadopoulos is now turning out to be a total loser who nobody has ever heard of. One Trump mouthpiece calls him a “coffee boy.” “Few people knew the young, low level volunteer named George, who has already proven to be a liar,” Trump now tweets. If Papadopoulos was a woman, he would be ugly, flat-chested, and unmarriageable.
NYMag
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 06:20 am
@snood,
I like to chat with Lefties
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 06:31 am
Donna Brazile finally admits Clinton/ DNC cheating. Hillary must’ve stopped paying her? Hope Donna doesn’t drop a barbell on her neck tonight.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/02/clinton-brazile-hacks-2016-215774

I think she whitewashed some of her bullshit, but the few legitimate admissions are long overdue.
Setanta

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 07:22 am
I think Sofia Lash Goth should seek professional counseling for her obsessive, compulsive hatred of the Clintons.

Whatever she does, she needs to take that crap somewhere else. This thread is about one of America's all time greatest cheaters, President Plump.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 07:50 am
@Setanta,
Facebook, Twitter and Google have to give answers because they tolerated Russian interference in the presidential election. The companies are repenting - but it takes some time for the lower level to run out of supplies from Russia.
Lash

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 08:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Twitter also admitted to suppressing 48% of #DNCFraud tweets.

Suppression of speech, controlling the political narrative. Gee, where have I heard about this before?
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 08:53 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Donna Brazile finally admits Clinton/ DNC cheating. Hillary must’ve stopped paying her? Hope Donna doesn’t drop a barbell on her neck tonight.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/02/clinton-brazile-hacks-2016-215774

I think she whitewashed some of her bullshit, but the few legitimate admissions are long overdue.

Maybe you can try to ignore it in the media! Haha.

It’s about time people got some justice.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 09:32 am
WaPo: Sam Clovis withdraws from consideration for Agriculture post after his name surfaced in Russia probe
Quote:
The nomination of Sam Clovis to be the Agriculture Department’s chief scientist was controversial both because of questions about his lack of relevant experience and news this week that he was one of the top officials on the Trump campaign aware of efforts by foreign policy adviser George Papadopoulos to broker a relationship between the campaign and Russian officials.

Clovis, who now serves as the department’s senior White House adviser, informed President Trump of his decision in a letter dated Nov. 1.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 09:40 am
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/11/the-west-wing-trump-is-apoplectic-as-allies-fear-impeachment

from the middle of an interesting little piece

Quote:
Bannon’s sense of urgency is being fueled by his belief that Trump’s hold on power is slipping. The collapse of Obamacare repeal, and the dimming chances that tax reform will pass soon—many Trump allies are deeply pessimistic about its prospects—have created the political climate for establishment Republicans to turn on Trump. Two weeks ago, according to a source, Bannon did a spitball analysis of the Cabinet to see which members would remain loyal to Trump in the event the 25th Amendment were invoked, thereby triggering a vote to remove the president from office. Bannon recently told people he’s not sure if Trump would survive such a vote. “One thing Steve wants Trump to do is take this more seriously,” the Bannon confidant told me. “Stop joking around. Stop tweeting.”
Olivier5

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 09:46 am
@Lash,
In summary:

Quote:
“If the fight had been fair, one campaign would not have control of the party before the voters had decided which one they wanted to lead. This was not a criminal act, but as I saw it, it compromised the party’s integrity.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/358390-brazile-proof-that-clinton-rigged-nomination-process-broke-my-heart

izzythepush

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 09:58 am
Quote:
An ex-Trump aide has withdrawn from consideration for an administration post amid scrutiny of his credentials and connection to the Russian inquiry.
Sam Clovis was a candidate to become chief scientist of the Department of Agriculture, but critics said he was devoid of experience for the job.
Mr Clovis has been linked to another former Trump adviser who lied to the FBI about his Russian interactions.
The White House said it respected Mr Clovis's decision to withdraw.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41848155
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 10:33 am
@Olivier5,
Seems like a supporting detail, not a summary. There was much more content.
Olivier5

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 10:40 am
@Lash,
I think it's a good summary of what I read. You're welcome to add more if you think something important is missing.
0 Replies