blatham

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 08:22 am
@Blickers,
Yes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 08:27 am
@Blickers,
We've talked about #45's history with the NFL in the past on this thread. He was desperate to become one of them. He ended up with a team in the alternate football league of the day. That ended up pretty badly.

Limbaugh's doing a fine job of being part of the gang that is distracting people from what is actually going on in the United States.

__

Great piece on Monocle.com last night.

Quote:
As commander in chief of the US and so-called leader of the free world, President Trump has achieved surprisingly little during his time in office. However, the country is still running and decisions are being made – but by whom? Andrew Mueller is joined by former US Senate aide Tom Nichols, chief national correspondent for ‘The Boston Globe’ Annie Linskey and former mayor of Minnesota RT Rybak.

https://monocle.com/radio/shows/the-foreign-desk/199/

put it on in the background

no transcripts at monocle. I hope it is in their future.

if you don't have a ton of time, go in at about the 12 minute mark for an interesting review of what's going on with mayors and governors in the US

__

RT Rybak's quite the guy. I wish he was 20 years younger. He'd have been a great guy for the Democrats to groom for a presidential run. If I was an American Democrat, I'd be looking at him and asking him who in the next generation or two of politicians he'd recommend.
ehBeth

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 08:29 am
@blatham,
Listened to an interview with Braden Matejka's brother yesterday. Really awful what's been happening to the victims.
blatham

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 08:40 am
Quote:
EPA to its scientists: go away or be quiet
Scott Pruitt is ousting the EPA's independent science advisers and bringing in industry researchers.
Vox

Well, of course it is. If the tobacco companies could have placed one of their people as Surgeon General, they would have leaped at the chance. In this case, it is the Koch operation in the process of taking over the US government wherever its financial interests (and extremist political ideology) are effected.
blatham

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 08:42 am
@ehBeth,
Got it bookmarked. Thanks.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 08:49 am
@ehBeth,
And if it is happening to them, it's happening to many others as well.

I am so incredibly disappointed and angered that so many conservative supporters cannot or will not confront what has happened to their movement and the GOP. It's truly horrible to watch this happen.

Another of a seemingly endless examples of this:
Quote:
Norman Ornstein‏Verified account @NormOrnstein 12h12 hours ago
Ed Gillespie is running one of the most vile campaigns I have seen in a long time. He really should be ashamed of himself.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 08:55 am
@blatham,
Time to unfriend Facebook.
blatham

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 09:02 am
@Olivier5,
I maintain a FB identity to communicate with my daughter but I visit the site perhaps 3 or 4 times a month. It's not my thing.
Olivier5

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 09:39 am
@blatham,
I've been boycotting it for years. Too big, too intrusive.

Le pluriel ne vaut rien à l'homme et sitôt qu'on
Est plus de quatre on est une bande de cons.
-- Georges Brassens - Le Pluriel

(The plural spoils men, and as soon as
We're more than four we're just a bunch of fools)

cameronleon

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 09:44 am
@blatham,
Quote:
It's no coincidence that he behaves this way while being, himself, the most openly dishonest politician in our lifetimes and surely longer than that.

Oh yes, president Ronald Reagan with Iran Contra was a great example of honesty and no lies at all, or president Bill Clinton with Monica Lewinsky showed how honest was the president... and you have no idea about Mayor Marion Barry in DC, I admire his way to manage being clean of lots of charges for years and years in power and how his people voluntarily went to jail in
order to save him, until a "bitch set him up"... lol...

President Donald Trump is not a politician, and yes, those bitches are lying.

0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 10:03 am
@blatham,
yet the David H Koch "fund for science" underwrites some of the most powerful evidence for sea level rise and ice sheet melting as a result of human activities. He also sponsors much of the NOVA series on Global Warming .
BillW

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 11:08 am
@farmerman,
I have noticed this before farmerman. The Koch Brothers are a dichotomy, for sure!
blatham

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 11:09 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
(The plural spoils men, and as soon as
We're more than four we're just a bunch of fools)
Certainly true in the bedroom.
blatham

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 11:22 am
@farmerman,
Here's a good piece by the PBS ombudsman on Koch/PBS
Link
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 11:30 am
@BillW,
Quote:
I have noticed this before farmerman. The Koch Brothers are a dichotomy, for sure!

I don't see much of a "dichotomy". First, their funding to PBS/science is generalized. Second, as the two brothers are worth some 80-90 billion, they can chuck 20 million dollar donations hither and thither without the slightest effect on their wealth. Third, making a show of donating money to good causes is a common PR move even by high level criminals (he also donates to the arts in NY city). Fourth, the amounts of money they spend (and organize their network to spend) to protect their bottom line and forward their ideology is far, far greater than their gift to PBS (near one billion last election - just for that election cycle). But beyond that, the piece I just linked for farmerman is worth a read.
BillW

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 12:04 pm
@blatham,
blatham, A false dichotomy, yes - but it is regardless, a dichotomy...... in no way do I nor did I before disagree with you. Your discussion is certainly needed and correct.
farmerman

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 02:05 pm
@BillW,
yeh, the Koch's spend much more than Exxon Mobil to fight Climate Change legislation , and support anti science orgs and "think tanks". Yet, they seem to impeach the credibility of their anti GW scientists by these really good Climate SCience evidence based programs like NOVA.

If its a plan to undermine climate science, the real science has been tuned for public consumption which carefully picks apart the anti science side.

Now, my cynical side says that the Koch's are believing that most of the public will buy crap anti science like a few of our own A2K .

correspondents.

BTW Nova has done about 18 climate change programs that began with "the coming ice age" from 1990.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 03:02 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Certainly true in the bedroom.

I wish is stopped there... Mass movements decerebrate people.
blatham

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 05:07 pm
@BillW,
I figured that was what you meant. Just thought I'd throw in the clarification.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 28 Oct, 2017 05:13 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
decerebrate
I like that.

I suppose that we humans have a fair number of traits which served our ancestors well for the last million years or so but which may very well end up ending us.
0 Replies