monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillW

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 01:14 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Move on for goodness sake.

Not gonna happen in the illogical tRumpian world, if you make the last tweet, you win and no apologies allowed. Gotta meet up to the dispicables' standard, right?
blatham

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 02:21 pm
@Olivier5,
It's all about the big bucks. There are god-knows how many companies operating within the DC world staffed (at the top) with ex-politicians, ex-military, or ex-intelligence people which have access to decision makers and who know the gears of the place. This isn't even to mention the PR and legal firms with similar access. And there's obviously billions or trillions of dollars to be made. I think we can safely assume that if the recent incident where Erdogan's bodyguards savagely beat protests on American soil had resulted in some protester's death, Woolsey would remain entirely happy to do business with the man.
blatham

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 02:22 pm
@Olivier5,
Brilliant!
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 02:26 pm
Such a pity.
Quote:
No fewer than 62 Phoenix venues have turned down the opportunity to host Milo Yiannopolous, the Internet provocateur known for his cozy ties to white nationalists, for a “Free Speech Arizona” event, the Phoenix New Times reported Thursday. His visit to the southwestern city has been canceled as a result.
TPM

BillW

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 02:56 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Such a pity.
Quote:
No fewer than 62 Phoenix venues have turned down the opportunity to host Milo Yiannopolous, the Internet provocateur known for his cozy ties to white nationalists, for a “Free Speech Arizona” event, the Phoenix New Times reported Thursday. His visit to the southwestern city has been canceled as a result.
TPM

May I point out this is a vertually all "Red" state!
blatham

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 03:01 pm
@BillW,
You may as it's certainly relevant. One would think Milo could have found an abattoir nearby.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 03:03 pm
A must-read column from Paul Waldman.
Quote:
When an eight-year-old on the playground responds to an accusation with “I know you are but what am I?”, even the other children know how lame a retort it is. But when the Republican Party says the same thing, it’s much more than a desperate attempt to flummox their opponents and confuse any onlookers.

It’s a careful, coordinated, and comprehensive strategy.

That’s what Republicans are doing right now with regard to the question of Russian interference in the 2016 election, which it is more than clear was 1) comprehensive, involving hacking, propaganda, and outreach to Trump representatives; and 2) clearly intended to help Donald Trump win the election, or at the very least wound Hillary Clinton should she become president.

What’s happening now is an audacious effort on the part of Republicans to convince everyone that not only did Trump and his campaign not work with Russia, in fact it was Hillary Clinton who did so, and Vladimir Putin (whose hatred of Clinton burns with the fire of a thousand suns) actually wanted her to win and tried to help her.
WP
hightor

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 03:11 pm
@blatham,
Talking Points Brought to Trump Tower Meeting Were Shared With Kremlin

Quote:
Natalia V. Veselnitskaya arrived at a meeting at Trump Tower in June 2016 hoping to interest top Trump campaign officials in the contents of a memo she believed contained information damaging to the Democratic Party and, by extension, Hillary Clinton. The material was the fruit of her research as a private lawyer, she has repeatedly said, and any suggestion that she was acting at the Kremlin’s behest that day is anti-Russia “hysteria.”

But interviews and records show that in the months before the meeting, Ms. Veselnitskaya had discussed the allegations with one of Russia’s most powerful officials, the prosecutor general, Yuri Y. Chaika. And the memo she brought with her closely followed a document that Mr. Chaika’s office had given to an American congressman two months earlier, incorporating some paragraphs verbatim.

(...)

NYT
snood

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 03:33 pm
Has anyone else noticed that Sarah (Huckleberry Saddlebags) Huckabee Sanders just keeps getting snider and snippier with each (answer free) press session?
BillW

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 03:52 pm
@snood,
Sorry, can't watch fiction and she ain't good at it!
Brand X

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 03:55 pm
Someone posted earlier about the Whitefish Energy wanting the contract to fix Puerto Rico....well, this fish stinks like it's been dead awhile.

'“I don’t think you need to be a contract lawyer to know that a provision that doesn’t allow the contracting party to look at how the money is spent is a one-sided giveaway,” Michael Burger, the executive director of the Sabin Center for Climate Change Law at Columbia, told Earther.

Jordan Libowitz, the communications director for Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, told Earther the watchdog group had never to the best of his memory seen a federal contract with that type of stipulation (though this contract itself isn’t federal).

Puerto Rico has already suffered through the worst blackout in U.S. history. And it had to deal with a debt-ridden legacy of colonialism for years before that. The Whitefish contract seems like the worst of those two issues combined into one **** sandwich.'

https://earther.com/what-the-hell-is-going-on-with-whitefish-energys-contra-1819917750?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
BillW

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 04:01 pm
@Brand X,
Clause in the contract:

Quote:
In no event shall PREPA, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the FEMA Administrator, the comprtoller general of the United States, or any of their authorized representatives have the right to audit or review the cost and profit elements of the labor rates specified herein.

to go with this clause:

Quote:
Whitefish Energy, the two-person, office-free company that landed a $300 million contract to repair the 2,400 miles of Puerto Rico’s electric lines, got more than just a big check, they got a very nice clause in their contract. A leaked copy of the contract includes a section on just who has access to the records kept by Whitefish in carrying out the work. That list includes:

"PREPA, The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the FEMA Administrator, the comptroller general of the United States, or any of their authorized agents …"

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................... Sounds kinda like Blackwater and Halliburton all over again.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 05:43 pm
@hightor,
What a tangled web. I don't envy Mueller's team
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 05:57 pm
Quote:
"A former Republican state Senate candidate from Standish has become the fourth woman to say she was groped by former President George H.W. Bush."

Link Here

Nothing happy in this story. Pretty soon, Hollywood people are going to stay well away from politicians because of the threat of sexual assault.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 06:10 pm
So, here's a mystery solved
Quote:
Lawyers for the conservative publication Washington Free Beacon informed the House Intelligence Committee Friday that the organization was the original funder for the anti-Trump opposition research project with Fusion GPS.
WashExam

snood

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 06:52 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

Sorry, can't watch fiction and she ain't good at it!

Yeah I can't stand but about 3 minutes if her myself. It is amazing to me how such a dimwitted liar can conjure up such arrogance. Quite an achievement.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 06:57 pm
Breaking: First charges filed in the Mueller probe. Sealed as of yet, so no names attached yet. Stay tuned...
revelette1

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 07:04 pm
@snood,
I watched her unfortunately the day she said, "if you want to argue with a four star general..." and was pretty disgusted.

I notice lips because I read lips a little, I noticed she moves her mouth and lips really weird when she talks. Frivolous I know, but just saying.

On the Mueller thing; wonder who it will be? Manafort?
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 07:05 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Breaking: First charges filed in the Mueller probe. Sealed as of yet, so no names attached yet. Stay tuned...

Just heard that indictments are usually not sealed unless prosecutors believe the prep may flee the country. And, since Manafort is already been told he is highly likely to be charged and he hasn't fled yet - it isn't him.
BillW

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 07:09 pm
@BillW,
Off the record, my guess is the Russian in the tRump Jr collusion affair. He has a whole bunch of good stuff!