monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 05:10 am
@hightor,
Quote:
More like they outspent the GOP in publicly disclosed donations and legal contributions.
Yes. And because of this - and because all politicians operate without a set of functioning moral principles - this GOP response strategy can gain no criticism untainted by hypocrisy.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 05:12 am
In today's Voices From The Right
Quote:
Nearly every elected Republican, with a few exceptions such as Sens. Jeff Flake (Ariz.) and Ben Sasse (Neb.), has been complicit or silent in the face of President Trump’s crazed and cruel political rise. Which means that nearly every future recruit to Trump skepticism could be termed a hypocrite. And God bless them all. Any serious, successful political movement welcomes converts rather than identifying heretics.

The current elected voices of this movement — Flake and Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz) and Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) — are heroes of sanity and principle. It is the substance of their critique, not the status of their careers, that matters. And their composite criticism is utterly damning: Americans have elected a president who is dangerously unstable, divisive, childish, nasty, deceptive, self-deluded, morally unfit, deeply unconservative and thus badly wrong on some of the largest issues of our time. Trump responded to this critique by coining another infantile nickname, feuding with a Gold Star widow and boasting about how smart he really is. In pressing the anti-Trump case, Trump is always the best witness.
WP
farmerman

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 05:23 am
@blatham,
and those are his good points
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 05:25 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Trump responded to this critique by coining another infantile nickname, feuding with a Gold Star widow and boasting about how smart he really is. In pressing the anti-Trump case, Trump is always the best witness.

"Dang, son, I believe ya just shot yerself in the foot!"
blatham

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 05:34 am
@Setanta,
He was just trying to remove his bone spurs so that he could fight side by side with the nation's brave troops.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 05:36 am
Quote:
Fox News spent 12 hours over 3 weeks on Harvey Weinstein but just 20 minutes over 7 months on Bill O'Reilly
MM

Now there's a heck of a surprise.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 05:57 am
It's a personality type.
Quote:
President Duterte said he has been “demonized” by “fake news” about the alleged extrajudicial killings linked to his war on illegal drugs.

The President accused his political opponents of spreading such false information about the suspected drug-related killings, insisting he has never ordered any policeman to kill people.

“I have been demonized. And well, of course, I will assure you upon my oath as a lawyer and before God that some are true, some are not. And the extrajudicial tag that has been placed on me is simply not true,” Duterte said during a gathering of ASEAN Law Association Governing Council in Malacañang.

“According to the bright guys of this country, the political opposition, the guys who cannot accept defeat, they invented the fake news and concocted figures,” he added.
Digby
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 06:40 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Do you really think any president just picks up the phone and calls anyone hoping they are home?

Do you have any proof they were informed of the time the president would be calling? Do you have proof the families are always made aware of what time any president will be calling any citizen for any reason but in particular families of the military? Is it a protocol to notify families of when the president will be calling a family? If not, then yes I think the president just picks up a phone and calls whoever he needs to call.

In Kelly's speech (other than his lie about Wilson which was proved to be lie) he said President's don't usually call, they write letters of condolences. So I am pretty sure there is no protocol in the military. I just think you are wrong in assumption that Mrs. Johnson was notified ahead of time that President would be calling her so then she could have set up a sting so to speak to trip Trump up in some kind of way. I guess she and Wilson just knew Trump was going to say something stupid and they were just waiting for it. It is a silly argument and you know it.
revelette1

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 06:57 am
Betsy DeVos’s Schedule Shows Focus on Religious and Nontraditional Schools (NYT)

Quote:
WASHINGTON — For years, Betsy DeVos traveled the country — and opened her checkbook — as she worked as a conservative advocate to promote the expansion of voucher programs that allow parents to use taxpayer funds to send their children to private and religious schools.

A detailed look at the first six months of Ms. DeVos’s tenure as the secretary of education — based on a 326-page calendar tracking her daily meetings — demonstrates that she continues to focus on those programs as well as on charter schools.

Her calendar is sprinkled with meetings with religious leaders, leading national advocates of vouchers and charter schools, and players involved in challenging state laws that limit the distribution of government funds to support religious or alternative schools.

On June 13, for example, she started her day by speaking to about 4,000 people who had gathered in Washington for the National Charter Schools Conference, the records show.

Later that morning, she met with Jeanne and Rex Sinquefield, multimillionaires from Missouri and major donors to the Show Me Institute, a nonprofit group that promotes school vouchers. The meeting was to discuss litigation then pending before the Supreme Court that examined issues related to government grants to educational programs sponsored by religious entities.

maporsche

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 07:01 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

No, they were. Do you really think any president just picks up the phone and calls anyone hoping they are home?

I’m with Finn on this one. The Presidents time is way too valuable to not have these types of this scheduled at least hours in advance.

That’s not me agreeing with him that it was wrong for Rep. Wilson to be there.
revelette1

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 08:38 am
@maporsche,
I tried looking it up, but it seems like a lot of trouble to go through to get a letter out informing her when the president was going to call. However, even so, it would be hard to set the president up without knowing exactly what he was going to say ahead of time. The accusation is silly either way.
BillW

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 08:47 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Quote:
Do you really think any president just picks up the phone and calls anyone hoping they are home?

Do you have any proof they were informed of the time the president would be calling?

revelette1, this is a false right wing argument from the beginning and doesn't deserve the light of day. The widow, mother, father can have have anyone they wish present to begin with, without reservation or explanation! Just like the pResident had others listening in on the call also. tRump is just wrong, period. He is deceitful, hateful, a persistent liar and a blowheart extraordinaire. Now Keller has lied for him too.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 10:27 am
@revelette1,
I love when people tell me I know something when I know nothing of the sort.

I didn't claim she set up a sting, I simply suggested that it was curious that she invited her anti-Trump, headline-grabbing, congresswoman to attend. Obviously, she could invite whomever she wanted. Was there an entire audience there? I don't know, but unless the congresswoman was the only friend she has in her life one would expect that she invited a number of other people to provide support: Mother, siblings, grandparents, pastor, BFF...

Common sense will tell you POTUS doesn't make blind calls.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 10:29 am
@maporsche,
I never said it was wrong that she was there; only curious.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 10:31 am
@revelette1,
They don't send a letter. Some member of the WH staff makes the blind call and then keeps trying as necessary until a connection is made and a time scheduled.

Who said they set him up?

0 Replies

blatham

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 10:41 am
@revelette1,
Jesus didn't go to a public school. He stayed away because Satan was there.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 10:45 am
Talking about the swamp. If that term has any worthwhile meaning, James Woolsey is an example.
Quote:
Former national security adviser Michael Flynn wasn’t the only Trump associate pursuing a sketchy, lucrative deal to tarnish the reputation of a U.S.-based cleric loathed by Turkey’s government during the thick of the 2016 presidential campaign.

Former CIA director James Woolsey did so, too, asking Turkish businessman Ekim Alptekin for $10 million to carry out a lobbying and public relations campaign targeting Fethullah Gulen, Reuters reported Thursday.
TPM
Olivier5

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 11:07 am
@blatham,
Oh my... Even for a Trump sychophant, to prostitute oneself to a foreign dictator like Erdogan is quite shocking.
Olivier5

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 11:22 am
https://www.courrierinternational.com/sites/ci_master/files/styles/image_original_765/public/assets/images/newyorker.jpg
revelette1

Fri 27 Oct, 2017 11:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I love when people tell me I know something when I know nothing of the sort.

I didn't claim she set up a sting, I simply suggested that it was curious that she invited her anti-Trump, headline-grabbing, congresswoman to attend. Obviously, she could invite whomever she wanted. Was there an entire audience there? I don't know, but unless the congresswoman was the only friend she has in her life one would expect that she invited a number of other people to provide support: Mother, siblings, grandparents, pastor, BFF...

Common sense will tell you POTUS doesn't make blind calls

Forget about whether the president makes blind calls.

You did imply there was some kind of set up to have Wilson there. If you wasn't implying a sting, what were implying with the fact Wilson was present in the car when the president called? The grandparents were in the car also which is why the widow wanted the call on speaker phone so they could hear the President. Wilson is a close family friend, it was not odd or curious at all for her to present. Move on for goodness sake.