monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

georgeob1

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 02:43 pm
@blatham,
Odd that you didn't note precisely the same things that went on on a much larger scale in the also much larger Clinton foundation, which gives a much smaller proporion of its collected money to real charitable activities. At one point Huma Abdeen was drawing saleries from the State Department, The Clinton Foundation and Tenera, a foundation captive international consulting company, that also employed many former Clinton aides and current advisors including the esteemed Sydney Blumenthal.
Frugal1

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 02:44 pm
If 0bama is successful in his efforts to draw this nation into a big war,
can we at least play by the same rules our enemies play by?

Can we finally take off the gloves & fight to win?
0 Replies

giujohn

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 02:45 pm
@Frugal1,
Well I'm all for another 6 day war where the Israelis kick some Arab ass and gain more territory. Allowing Palestinian terrorists their own state is no different than allowing ISIS to have their caliphate.
0 Replies

catbeasy

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 02:54 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
I think Tony brought up the technological aspect as evidence that early human (pre-literate) behaviors demonstrate high levels of intellectual achievement - therefore they were "smart". That's undoubtedly true. But we obviously can't get from that observation to a quite different assumption that their religious ideas ought to be granted validity (creations stories, for example).

yeah, I don't think humans had differing intellectual potentials. Perhaps not for 100k years..But science and the ability to effectively, efficiently pass down information so we don't have to recreate the wheel as they often did pre-science/printing press..

Quote:
And ps... lovely to have you on board here.

Thanks, much appreciated. Your info is refreshing and needed to rebut and/or balance out the craziness in lack of perspective and logical thinking..
Frugal1

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 02:56 pm
#StandWithIsrael
Debra Law

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:00 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Odd that you didn't note precisely the same things that went on on a much larger scale in the also much larger Clinton foundation, which gives a much smaller proporion of its collected money to real charitable activities. At one point Huma Abdeen was drawing saleries from the State Department, The Clinton Foundation and Tenera, a foundation captive international consulting company, that also employed many former Clinton aides and current advisors including the esteemed Sydney Blumenthal.

Fallacy of diversion.

Many of us who monitored Clinton during her campaign didn't support her and also questioned her foundation. If this was a monitoring Clinton thread, perhaps your remarks would be relevant to the discussion. But, it's not.

This is a monitoring Trump discussion thread.

Frugal1

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:10 pm
@Debra Law,

This is a monitoring 0bama post POTUS discussion thread.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:13 pm
@georgeob1,
Are you ever going to work up the integrity to cite your sources?
catbeasy

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:13 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
Corporate America was in the process of cratering when Obama took office, so it's obviously not that. The last quarter before Obama first took office, the economy was shrinking at annual rate of -8.2%. Saying corporate America led the way is ludicrous. Yes, Obama got help from the Fed when they knocked the interest rate down, but until the economic plunge showed signs of stopping, nobody was going to invest money in the stock market of a country which looks like it's headed for another Great Depression, no matter how cheap the money.

I would suppose there are plenty of cases to be made against specific policies of Obama's - from where I come from, most of those would have to do with maintenance of the shape of the economy which every president has done.

But what I see here is simple. If it were a democrat in office that was there when the **** hit the economic fan in 2008 and we were sitting where we are today under Trump, all those making current excuses as to why the Obama administration has not been behind the recovery would be saying that Trump was responsible for the recovery and pointing to how deeply disturbed and horrible a man/president Obama was for allowing the richest country on the planet to shamefully fall into such economic disarray.

What? Not me, man. I'm objective!

This is politics 101. Politicians will always ride the coattails of positive events they were not responsible for and disavow and "other-blame" those negative things that happen on their watch..

As citizens we're supposed to be above that. However, its clear to me that for most of us, following our own standards when it has the potential to negatively affect some emotionally charged part of ourselves is just not on the menu. Most of us cannot handle such dissonance, nuance, cannot fit a less than black and white world in our heads.

Add to that a further kicker, the lack of perspective* - either through researching only the side they believe in or no research at all. This allows the main stream media, as amnesiac a group as you could ask for, to fill in our gaps - often not directly.

Behind what they put up front is a meta-world. A framework of the way life is supposed to be, to look like. All discussion must be in this framework or there is blank looks of incredulousness.

There is no history, only current sound bites. Concision. Its what's for dinner.

*interesting sample of that of Obama's support of Israel.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
cicerone imposter

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:25 pm
@Debra Law,
Factcheck shows that 89% of Clinton Foundation monies were spent on charitable causes.
http://www.factcheck.org/2015/06/where-does-clinton-foundation-money-go/

The biggest portion of the foundation helped many around the world.
http://2015.clintonfoundation.org/#!/
Their finances were audited by a respected accounting firm.
Frugal1

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:26 pm
0bama has one hell of a legacy!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0tOpwgUQAApnLw.jpg:large
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:33 pm
@catbeasy,
Quote:
yeah, I don't think humans had differing intellectual potentials. Perhaps not for 100k years..But science and the ability to effectively, efficiently pass down information so we don't have to recreate the wheel as they often did pre-science/printing press..

Oral traditions had some capacity to carry learned information up through time but writing does this job with far greater efficiency.

I understand religious behaviors as complex, varied and multi-faceted. But one facet has been, I believe, an earnest attempt to understand the world around us. Creation stories, for example, seem to be quite similar to the scientific hypothesis. Or take the example for the old testament of Lot's wife looking back at Sodom and turning into a salt pillar (what made salt pillars?) We see a similar phenomenon in Ovid's poem where sisters grieved standing by a river grieved so long they turned into trees and their tears became amber (what makes tree sap? where do trees come from?)

Curiosity and the need for us to comprehend the world (real benefits for survival) seem to me to underlie such mental phenomena. But it all floats around with little gain until we can compile many many observations and before we begin to organize them into patterns and until we learn to test hypotheses we come up with. So that's one reason I'm sympathetic to certain religious behaviors.
Frugal1

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:38 pm
@blatham,
So why is it that the muslim / islamist are 1400 years behind most everybody else, could it be their religion?
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:38 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:
Many of us who monitored Clinton during her campaign didn't support her and also questioned her foundation. If this was a monitoring Clinton thread, perhaps your remarks would be relevant to the discussion. But, it's not.

I don't mind george bringing this up. What I do mind is:
1) the point of my criticism was Trump just flat out lying (again) on the matter of his self-serving use of the charity. He's stated this lie many times now blatantly and in the face of clear evidence he's lying. George (as you note) evades that point even while it was the point. Evasion of that sort is intellectually dishonest.
2) his near constant failure to cite evidence to back up his assertions.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well done, ci
Frugal1

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:48 pm

Has GDP growth ever reached 3% during 0bama's rule?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:48 pm
@blatham,
Not only that, but Trump is a liar. According to Factcheck, only 4% of Trump's statements are considered to be true.

Debra Law

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Factcheck shows that 89% of Clinton Foundation monies were spent on charitable causes.
http://www.factcheck.org/2015/06/where-does-clinton-foundation-money-go/

The biggest portion of the foundation helped many around the world.
Their finances were audited by a respected accounting firm.

Perhaps the Clintons are deserving of praise in some respects. And in other respects, not so much.

George was using a fallacy of diversion, and that was my point. After all, this is a monitoring Trump thread.
Baldimo

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:56 pm
@Debra Law,
I sure hope you jump into other threads and keep them on track...
0 Replies