monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

snood

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 12:25 pm
Somehow,
I missed this.
The president's daughter in law says she has seen the transcript of the phone conversation in question - between Trump and Mrs Johnson. The obvious question: If the transcript corroborates Trump's story that he "didn't say" what the Congresswoman and the widow say he did, why don't they release the transcript?
snood

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 12:35 pm
I wrote:
Quote:
Surely every person with principles is not courageous in every circumstance.

A good example would be the clergymen to whom MLK addressed his Letter From a Birmingham Jail. He was appealing to their better angels - attempting to stir them out of their hesitation to stand against segregation and racial violence, and for civil rights and voting rights. There were undoubtedly some principled, ethical men among them who were in fear of not conforming.

There were Christians who watched without protest as the holocaust occurred.

There are otherwise principled politicians who see the debacle of Trump and are acting (or not acting) in fear of losing their positions. I agree that is cowardly, but I think we are all mixtures of good and bad - even politicians.
Sturgis

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 12:36 pm
@snood,
Because the daughter in law has learned to lie as well as the rest of Trumps. It was probably figured since she is less heard from that people would automatically decide it must be true.

The intelligence level of the average American continues to decline.
ehBeth

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 12:40 pm
@snood,
Quote:
UPDATE (2:40 p.m.): White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders denied there is a transcript of the call. She referred further questions to Lara Trump and the Trump campaign.

so the WH says #45's dil and campaign are lying?

such an odd bunch of characters
snood

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 12:44 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Because the daughter in law has learned to lie as well as the rest of Trumps.

Stands to reason. She probably has to tell Eric he's smart and good-looking every day.
snood

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 12:46 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
such an odd bunch of characters

Well, I'd say such a lowdown bunch of lying frauds but, tomato -tomahto.
ehBeth

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 12:54 pm
The plain-faced lying in the WH about what people have said/done is amazing.

https://theintercept.com/2017/10/20/lets-compare-john-kellys-lie-rep-frederica-wilson-reality/

No longer surprising. Still amazing.

Watching both of the videos is worth the minutes (or was for me). I was one of the people who had a scintilla of hope that John Kelly would make a difference in the WH. Turns out he's one of the liars.

I don't care for the intercept, but when I watch the videos, I don't need their interpretation. I can see John Kelly's lies for myself.
0 Replies

BillW

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 12:57 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Somehow,
I missed this.
The president's daughter in law says she has seen the transcript of the phone conversation in question - between Trump and Mrs Johnson. The obvious question: If the transcript corroborates Trump's story that he "didn't say" what the Congresswoman and the widow say he did, why don't they releassssse the transcript?

Snood, the trouble with a transcript is it won't include tone. I would love to hear the difference in La David's widows call and the others. Making no declaratives, just saying........
ehBeth

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 01:00 pm
@snood,
well, that would be my work voice eh
0 Replies

snood

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 01:01 pm
@BillW,
What difference in what calls are you talking about comparing?
BillW

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 01:02 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Quote:
Because the daughter in law has learned to lie as well as the rest of Trumps.

Stands to reason. She probably has to tell Eric he's smart and good-looking every day.

Twilight Zone folks, which is a lie, which is the truth - is there a transcript, who's on 2nd, the Dodgers won last night?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 01:13 pm
@snood,
http://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/171017140706-mobapp-green-berets-niger-exlarge-169.jpg

my thought was that BillW was suggesting that the wives of three of the soldiers might have had a different tone of call from #45 than the wife we've heard from

can't say it didn't cross my mind
snood

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 01:34 pm
@ehBeth,
I don't have a hard time believing Trump might have some impatience and lack of reverence in his tone when talking to Mrs Johnson that he wouldn't have when talking to the others.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 01:46 pm
https://ivn.us/2017/10/19/bombshell-new-survey-even-partisans-are-tired-of-the-two-parties/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=fad25423f6-ivn_newsletter_10_26_2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_24d080cf45-fad25423f6-77965981&mc_cid=fad25423f6&mc_eid=963d6f8e1d

Apparently, I'm not alone.

Unfortunately, I don't see much hope for a Third Party as anything but a spoiler unless the Republican or Democrat party implodes. Which is a possibility.

The question would then be how long the new idealists would take to become corrupted and how many of them came to the party already corrupt.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 01:49 pm
@snood,
I voted up Snood's post, because I want to draw attention to the addiction to lying of the rightwingnuts these days. It has been pointed out again and again that the Congresswoman is a long-time friend of the family. Again and again the lying supporters of President Plump trot out this red herring about the Congresswoman being there, and this being a set-up. All of that before you even consider the lies about a transcript, the lies the transcript reveals, and how it shows up Kelly as a liar.

Yet Snood is here, once again, defending the presence of that woman, because the right are just addicted to lying, and once they get what they think is a good story, they just hammer it again and again.

This is the big lie technique. Hitler in his 1925 book Mein Kampf, wrote about the use of a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe that someone "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously." To me, there is no mystery about the origin of the technique employed at Plump's White House.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 01:53 pm
@blatham,
No it isn't, but you endorsed it. So no straw man.

Your counterexample would only be marginally apt if someone stated the Right (as opposed to the Left) is all about making the world a better place, and even then it would fall well short of the mark.

I didn't state that all leftists are like the monsters and morons I cited. There has to be a few with good hearts and impressive minds.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 01:54 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
But some systems/cultures facilitate such people's grasp on power and other systems inhibit that.

Such as?
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 01:57 pm
@blatham,
Although members of both parties will favor party loyalty over morality and principle, the Republicans are quicker than the Democrats to turn on one of their own who is a cad.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 02:01 pm
@revelette1,
I have lots of friends, but I don't know why I would invite any of them to attend a call from POTUS unless it was so they could be there for the "moment" and that would be the last thing on my mind if my wife had been killed.

Your husband tragically dies and you feel you need the support of friends (and extremely partisan ones at that) when the president calls to provide condolences?
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 26 Oct, 2017 02:02 pm
@snood,
Your faith in humanity is touching. Too bad it only extends to members of your tribe.