monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 07:29 am
Just in case you woke up un-sober...
Quote:
David Frum‏Verified account @davidfrum Oct 12
Trump’s attitude to sufferering on Puerto Rico an ominous indicator of his likely attitude toward fatalities on the Korean Peninsula
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 07:39 am
Tillerson was right. This man is a ******* moron.
Quote:
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 2h2 hours ago
Health Insurance stocks, which have gone through the roof during the ObamaCare years, plunged yesterday after I ended their Dems windfall!

0 Replies

blatham

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 07:48 am
Quote:
Trump botches reference to ‘president’ of Virgin Islands a day after Rick Perry called Puerto Rico a ‘country’
WP

The modern GOP leadership. Make America Uneducated Again!
Walter Hinteler

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 08:54 am
@blatham,
Nine provinces, le Québec, and three territories - that's a lot easier to count then 17 golf courses!
wmwcjr

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 10:17 am
@blatham,
Will has written a number of columns for the Washington Post in which he has savaged Trump. During the presidential election campaign last year, another "Never Trump" conservative named David French felt compelled to hire a bodyguard when he received death threats and experienced other forms of harassment from Trump supporters. Other prominent "Never Trump" conservatives have been treated badly as well. I admire these individuals for their courage.

Clearly, the political culture has been debased. I'm apprehensive as to what the long-term consequences will be.
BillW

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 10:25 am
@wmwcjr,
Bannon has this morning permanently split, no - not split, shattered the Republican party. It becomes more interesting every day.......

Will is a William F Buckley Republican. When he plays in his Centrist sandbox, I find I can agree with about 50% of his ideology.
wmwcjr

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 10:31 am
@BillW,
My pleasure.

George Will has written a number of devastatingly anti-Trump columns. Check out the Washington Post. "Hey, George, remind me to never get on your bad side!" Smile

0 Replies

cameronleon

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 11:11 am
Will Trump's healthcare plans hit his supporters the hardest? Majority of people who rely on the subsidies he vows to SCRAP are in states which helped him win the election

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4980352/Pro-Trump-states-affected-health-care-decision.html

Obamacare started walking with the left foot. The idea was make it "mandatory" to obligate rather than foment the total participation of people.

Millions of Americans did prefer to pay the penalty and refuse Obamacare.

Several millions of Americans can't be covered anyway because lack of fulfilling the requirements, making this "universal health care insurance" a failure.

The other biggest problem was the subsidies.

Here is where the problem always sticks and stays.

When the government offers subsidies, private companies abuse of the system. There have been lots of cases where people had surgery to stop the function of a nerve controlling perspiration. This is needed for some people who sweat uncontrollably, but surgeons offered the surgery to people who didn't need it, and even these people were paid to have such a surgery.

Private companies abuse the system because there is no way to control their wrongdoings, unless they are exposed by a patient or by chance an event, even IRS audit finds it out.

There is no guarantee that a new proposal from Trumps administration will solve this problem of abuse of the system.

But surely Obamacare is causing a great spending without control.

Congress members receive donations for their elections and re-elections from companies participating in the current health care universal insurance, and for this reason many of them can't go against Obamacare, because their necks are tighten if they go against their donators.

In my opinion, taking out the subsidies might cause a temporary problem, but companies won't want to get broke, so they can't increase the premiums to unattainable levels because at the end their own business is at risk.

It will be threads against Trump administration because the cut off of subsidies, but there is no other way to stop the abuses of the system.

A better organized health care insurance must be posted, where the government can observe where the money is going, review sporadically the case history of patients to verify the necessity of surgeries, etc.

It is not government control in private companies or people, but checking if the subsidies are used properly, which is what the government must do.

0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 11:20 am
@BillW,
My dear wife, who is one of the smartest and most decent persons I've ever met, began to identify herself with the Republican Party when she was a young girl. Occasionally she would vote for a Democratic candidate -- for example, she considered Ron Paul to be an idiot -- but she usually would vote Republican. Not any more. She left the Republican Party when Donald Trump won her party's presidential nomination. She has called Trump a fascist and has said her party has died. She's still not a liberal, but she will never make a financial contribution to the Republican Party again. She has nothing but contempt for the leading Republicans who have bowed down to Trump.
cameronleon

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 11:29 am
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
My dear wife, who is one of the smartest and most decent persons I've ever met, began to identify herself with the Republican Party when she was a young girl. Occasionally she would vote for a Democratic candidate -- for example, she considered Ron Paul to be an idiot -- but she usually would vote Republican. Not any more. She left the Republican Party when Donald Trump won her party's presidential nomination. She has called Trump a fascist and has said her party has died. She's still not a liberal, but she will never make a financial contribution to the Republican Party again. She has nothing but contempt for the leading Republicans who have bowed down to Trump.

So, your wife just quit being a Republican because Donald Trump is Donald Trump.

hmm

I knew my theory was right: people vote for the better looking candidate regardless of his/her promises and political views.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 11:43 am
@blatham,
With the exception of two years spent in Corning, New York, when I was in my preteens, I've lived my whole life in Texas.

Roy Moore is the spiritual descendant of Bull Connor. There is no discernible difference between them. I have no respect for him and his ilk.

As a Bible-believing Christian (a redundant expression), I get sick and tired of people such as cameronleon who pervert passages of holy scripture in a vain attempt to justify the historic oppression of black people. The curse in Genesis 9:24-25 was FULFILLED in ancient times (NOT modern times) when the Israelites dispossessed the Canaanites in what is now called Palestine. The Canaanites eventually ceased to exist as nations. That was the end of it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 11:45 am
An intimate family portrait of camperlion:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/PHOTO/LARGE/common_loon_joshmerril.jpg
MontereyJack

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 01:25 pm
It's spreading. The world thinks you're a jerk, Donald Trump.

German soccer club takes a knee in solidarity withA merican athletes protesting injustice.[

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/bundesliga/take-a-knee-comes-to-germany-through-hertha-solidarity/ar-AAtqCwO?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp
blatham

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 05:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Nine provinces, le Québec, and three territories - that's a lot easier to count then 17 golf courses!

Well, he does have an IQ way huger than Tillerson's.
blatham

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 06:02 pm
@wmwcjr,
Smarter conservatives did try to stop Trump. And you're not alone in being apprehensive, that's for sure.
BillW

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 06:07 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:

Well, he does have an IQ way huger than Tillerson's.

yuger - but, I heard from sources, it's the same size as his hands, extra small.
0 Replies

cameronleon

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 06:38 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
An intimate family portrait of camperlion:

https://www.recreoviral.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/gato-besando-a-perro.jpg

Oh Satan-ta... you are so sexy!

Teachers union sides with Christie, Trump ally in clash with top Jersey Democrat

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/14/new-jersey-teachers-union-chris-christie-trump-steve-sweeney-243770

https://static.politico.com/dims4/default/02f1ad0/2147483647/resize/1160x/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2F7d%2F76%2F824f317f4a509ff83dd04e2bca11%2F171012-steve-sweeney-ap-1160.jpg

If Steve Sweeney prevails, the New Jersey Education Association's reputation as New Jersey’s most politically powerful lobbying group could take a hit. | Mel Evans/AP Photo

Quote:
TRENTON — Forget about the race to succeed lame duck Chris Christie: There’s a more intriguing electoral battle in New Jersey this fall, and it’s pitting the state’s largest teachers union against its highest-ranking Democratic state official, Senate president Steve Sweeney.

Over the protests of its traditional Democratic allies and some of its own members, the New Jersey Education Association has endorsed Sweeney’s Republican rival, who voted for President Donald Trump and has supported the deeply unpopular Christie, who once said a national teachers union deserved a “punch in the face.”

In the past. president Ronald Reagan tried to reduce, if not erase, unions.

Lets see what happens with Donald Trump who is not "touching" them and on the contrary, this particular teachers union might endorse a candidate who supports president Trump.

If no interference happens and the union takes the side of the Republican candidate, this will be a demonstration that democracy works as it should be.

No matter if Republican or Democrat, it is about what a person or a group of persons think who is the candidate who will work best for them and with them.

I don't think that this is good news for Republicans and bad news for Democrats, but this is good news for democracy.

Hope, liberals in these forums avoid attacking the decision of the Teachers union just because they appear to back up the Republican candidate.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 06:58 pm
@blatham,
A lot of us are apprehensive. We've entered unfamiliar territory. Needless to say, I have no idea how it will turn out. I don't recall there being so much pessimism in this country in times past. I'm reminded of an unfortunate country on the verge of dictatorship. But that's just my morbid imagination, I guess. After all, I've always like horror stories.
BillW

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 07:29 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

A lot of us are apprehensive. We've entered unfamiliar territory. Needless to say, I have no idea how it will turn out. I don't recall there being so much pessimism in this country in times past. I'm reminded of an unfortunate country on the verge of dictatorship. But that's just my morbid imagination, I guess. After all, I've always like horror stories.

Pre WW2:

The Existentialist Cowboy
Every revolution begins with the individual conscience.

American Fascists: How Prescott Bush, Charles Lindburgh and Henry Ford Sought a Fascist Dictatorship in America

The American right wing is defined by the lies it tells about American History, the American left, and, most importantly, is own troubling past. Recently, the right wing has tried to blame "leftists" for America's late entry into World War II. It was, in fact, American fascists who opposed a US role in World War II because most of them were either doing business with Hitler or because they desired to create a fascist state in America.

There was a fundamental difference between the Anti-war movement in the United States prior to our entry into WWII and the opposition to our entry into WWI, for example. Demographically and ideologically, the opposition to US entry into WWI was more akin to US opposition to Viet Nam. Both were movements based upon ideals of universal social justice, the rule of law, anti-colonialism, anti-fascism, and common humanity. The fascist, right wing opposition to US involvement in WWII shared none of those ideals. Those opposing the US entry into WWII were typified by Charles Lindbergh, an avowed Fascist, most certainly, a Nazi sympathizer.

http://existentialistcowboy.blogspot.com/2007/08/american-fascists-how-prescott-bush.html
0 Replies

Real Music

Sat 14 Oct, 2017 08:20 pm
http://i.imgur.com/Bgbptnu.jpg