monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

cameronleon

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 07:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
If he did scout other locations, such as Fenway Park in Boston, Lollapalooza in Chicago and the Life is Beautiful music festival in Las Vegas, it would seem to put a spoke in the wheel of any theory that he was motivated by politics induced animosity towards Republicans or Trump supporters.

Of course, there's the possibility that he was motivated by a right-wing agenda but the MSM has yet to report anything at all to indicate this was the case, and I feel certain they have diligently been pursuing any such evidence.

Between the possibilities it could be that he attempted his attacks in those shows but for some reason he disregard it. If he made reservations in two different locations at the same time, one might be distraction the other one the place of attack.

Also could be, the random reservation of hotels might indicate that he might felt he was followed by someone (police) and he was "testing" his theory by spying any strange movement in those hotels.

Perhaps after verifying that no one was behind his steps, he finally went to the chosen hotel to commit his criminal intentions.

If he had a crime partner, then he might have used -as TV movies "teach"- pay to go phones to be in contact. The claim of a young woman that a strange woman warned them that all of them will be killed 45 minutes before the shooting, that strange woman might be his partner.

Quote:

We also don't know what the girlfriend has told the authorities or what if anything the FBI has found on his computer or cell phone.

Until last time I had a look on her profile, no mention of her religion. Apparently authorities are avoiding the mentioning of this part of her profile because it might cause negative reactions. It is known that in Philippines, Islam is the preferred religious denomination.

Quote:
It's also possible that we will never know what his motive truly was, which seems unlikely but would be maddening.

Sometimes is for the best.

If from the very beginning it is found a connection with the shooter with a certain religious group, at this very moment we should be reading of several attacks on churches or mesquites, attacks to people who dress following their religion traditions, etc.

I think authorities are waiting for the best moment to release the true findings, which will be... as you just said, perhaps... never.

Hope the investigation to end and release what happened in reality.
Lash

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 08:23 am
Using the word terrorist seems to be a racial issue now.

People on Twitter angrily asserting this Vegas shooter not being called a terrorist is an example of racism.

Wonder if the term will be changed.
hightor

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 09:27 am
@cameronleon,
Quote:
It is known that in Philippines, Islam is the preferred religious denomination.

Baloney — the country is 80% Catholic.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 09:29 am
@hightor,
... and 92% of the population is Christian.
hightor

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 09:36 am
@Lash,
Quote:
People on Twitter angrily asserting this Vegas shooter not being called a terrorist is an example of racism.

Except that it isn't an example of "terrorism" and the shooter isn't a "terrorist". The typical definition of the noun "terrorism" goes like this:
Quote:
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

No manifesto, no association with extremists, no political history at all — and even if we find out that he once subscribed to the National Review or voted for Jill Stein, he would still be properly classes as a lone gunman with no known motive — other than to kill lots of innocent people.

No need to change the term, we only need to educate people on Twitter. While the helpless human targets were no doubt terrified, inflicting terror doesn't make a person a terror-ist. — there needs to be an "-ism" in the
mix.
Lash

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 09:51 am
@hightor,
I agree with you. My sentence lacked clarity.

People are claiming that only dark-skinned mass murderers are called terrorists - and they also claim that that fact is racist. (Didn’t seem much better than the first try.)

I keep posting the definition of terrorism on Twitter.

The Vegas shooter was a mass murderer who had to have a screw loose, but somehow a lot of black and brown people are claiming that poring through someone’s life for signs of mental illness is an attempt to somehow mitigate white guilt. We humanize white mass murderers... As if the word terrorist is a greater condemnation than mass murderer.

I’ll probably be accused of blindness due to white privilege re my opinion.
It’s not about race; it’s about motivation.

Walter Hinteler

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 09:58 am
@Lash,
Well, words have meaning.

An opinion in The Guardian: Terror and rage: what makes a mass murderer different to a terrorist?
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 10:10 am
@Lash,
Quote:
People are claiming that only dark-skinned mass murderers are called terrorists - and they also claim that that fact is racist.

Well, both claims are simply incorrect.

Timothy McVeigh was a terrorist, as was Ted Kaczynski. IRA bombers and Basque separatists engaged in terrorism.

Quote:
I’ll probably be accused of blindness due to white privilege re my opinion.

Your accusers could themselves be accused of ignorance — among other things.

edit: I had included Dylann Roof as an example of a white terrorist but I think that might be a stretch. I think he's more of a "wannabe" terrorist.
BillW

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 10:34 am
@hightor,
Terrorist groups also exist in the white realm, such as, neo-nazi, kkk and white supremacists!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 11:07 am
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

Bite me

I think I'll pass

Quote:
I don't take orders, especially from a white supremacist! Nor do I teach them out of their repugnant ways.

It was more of a request than an order, but I think your response did credit to your independent masculinity.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 11:54 am
@hightor,
This is the latest slice of far right bullshit, instead of dealing with the consequences of Nevada's lax gun laws they invent some PC gone mad crap about being called racist.

So instead of talking about events we're talking about what actually defines a terrorist, so we can tell Lash that the far right's fictional detractors are wrong, and that possibly they are victims of an over zealous PC gone made liberal elite.

Don't fall for it.
Lash

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 12:24 pm
@hightor,
Agree, again.

Last week, a friend’s child in her college class was told by her law professor that our society’s refusal to consider McVeigh a terrorist was more evidence of US white privilege.

A professor.

The word terrorist is always two or three words away from McVeigh’s name in print everywhere.

Post-truth is a thing.

Lash

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 12:32 pm
The topic.

https://qz.com/1092042/las-vegas-shooting-terrorist-vs-lone-wolf/

MASS SHOOTING WHILE WHITE
“Lone wolf” vs “terrorist”: the vocabulary of mass shootings
By Annalisa Merelli October 02, 2017
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 01:10 pm
@BillW,
I hate to contradict you, Bill; but Finn is not a racist. If he were, I wouldn't defend him. No offense taken, I hope.
izzythepush

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 01:11 pm
@Lash,
And we're just supposed to take your word for that. You're like the bloke down the pub.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-12KxINJjYQI/U4dSMicruyI/AAAAAAAADEU/ZFFHJYXds50/s1600/Man+in+the+pub.jpg
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 01:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I was referring to Republicans alive today. As far as I know, they include bloggers and others -- including a now former administrative aid and, unless I'm mistaken, a talk show host. I don't know if any of them have been elected to pubic office. Sorry I don't have more detailed information, but I do know they're out there. I just thought the phenomenon of Republicans reviling Abraham Lincoln, the founder of their party, a bit odd.
wmwcjr

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 01:46 pm
@wmwcjr,
Of course, it goes without saying that the now deceased Strom Thurmond and all the other segregationist Southern Democrats who joined the Republican Party did not hold Lincoln in the highest regard. I also must say, as much as I hate to, that Lincoln would have been a segregationist himself. At that point in our nation's history, black Americans had few friends among whites.
0 Replies

Builder

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 03:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
... and 92% of the population is Christian.

They might self-identify as Christian, but rocking up to a church on the odd occasion, doesn't make anyone a Christian, any more than wearing a purple gown and a camp crown makes one a Catholic.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 05:05 pm
@wmwcjr,
I appreciate your endorsement Bill, but the fellow you've attempted to disabuse of his ridiculous claim is not likely to take your word on the matter.

0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 8 Oct, 2017 05:32 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Two of America's biggest country music stars have distanced themselves from the National Rifle Association.
It's after Stephen Paddock killed 58 and injured hundreds of country music fans when he opened fire at the Route 91 Harvest festival in Las Vegas.
Traditionally country music and gun culture have had a strong friendship.
With the genre even having its own division of the rifle association called NRA Country which sponsors tours and artists.
But now platinum-selling duo Florida Georgia Line and chart topper Thomas Rhett both have disappeared from the NRA Country website this week.
Both FGL and Thomas Rhett had previously been featured as the NRA's country artist of the month.
Other country musicians are also speaking out about gun control.
And it's left many fans wondering if this could be the start of a movement.
Caleb Keeter, the guitarist for the Josh Abbott band, who performed at the festival that Stephen Paddock targeted, said he was "wrong" about gun laws.
He'd always been a strong supporter of the Second Amendment - the part of the US constitution that protects the right to have weapons.
But in an open letter to fans on Twitter he said, "Until the events of last night, I cannot express how wrong I was."
The Director of NRA Country said in 2015, "It's no secret, if you poll our members, they love country music."
According to Rolling Stone magazine, several of the NRA's artists have decided to clarify their relationship with the organisation.
They claim country star Blake Shelton, partner of Gwen Stefani, has also cut ties with the NRA.
The last time NRA Country faced any degree of scrutiny came after Sandy Hook elementary-school shooting in Conneticut back in 2012.
Superstar Luke Bryan was removed from NRA Country's website after that.

I suppose if any of these clowns are exceptionally talented, customers might keep buying their music even though they want to abolish their customers' freedom.

If any of these clowns are not top notch artists though, their desire to crush the freedom of their audience will probably result in a serious drop in revenue.