monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 05:01 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

The ******* EU.

Backs authoritarian crackdowns.
Since I'm not subscribed to the FT, I can't read why and how the EU is ******* your president. (Though I know a couple of reasons, why the do it, I can't really imagine the 'how'.)
Setanta

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 05:32 am
@Lash,
You are so clueless it's pathetic. Labels like neo-liberal and neo-conservative appeal to people like you who are incapable of independent thought. Those labels are meaningless. What the world faces today is a resurgence of fascism. The people in Barcelona in the 1930s were fighting fascists, but unfortunately Franco and the Falange won. They were fascists, and fascists are ultra-right-wing, authoritarian conservatives. Do a web search for falangism sometime and educate yourself. Then do a web search on fascism and educate yourself some more. President Plump, whom you have identified as your president, would be a fascist if he were bright enough to understand the term, which he isn't. Bleating about "make America great again" and bringing jobs back to the United States, he had his recruiters out hiring foreign workers for his hotels so he wouldn't even have to pay what an American would consider low wages. His daughter advertised her cheap jewelry and accessories, manufactured by wage-slaves in third world countries, on the White House web site until someone pointed out that that was not an appropriate use of the White House web site.

You go around bleating about "antifa" and running phony threads about fascism in the United States when you don't even understand what fascism is, and how proximate a threat it is in the United States and Europe. The elites who are robbing you and most of the world population are people like Plump; and the Koch brothers, who run the Republican party, which you have identified as your party. They are fascists--not that you would be capable of understanding that. You really disgust me.
blatham

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 05:49 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Our democracy has been captured and destroyed by corporations that steadily demand more tax cuts, more deregulation and impunity from prosecution for massive acts of financial fraud, all the while looting trillions from the U.S. treasury in the form of bailouts.

And why it's so dagnabbit difficult to find solutions here is because there is no discernible differences between the two US political parties as regards increasing the power and political reach of corporations!

For example, in the Supreme Court finding on corporate personhood, there was no evidence that the Justices aligned with the GOP supported this finding and that Justices on the left did not. Likewise, you just never knew what side right wing media would come down on re this case. Not to mention the total unpredictability of politicians from either party as regards their opinions on this case.

And deregulation? Again, everyone in both parties are equally zesty for that.

And tax cuts? Dems want them just like Republicans. This is all a matter of record.
Lash

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 05:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Brush up on your reading comprehension. That post had nothing to do with America.
blatham

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 05:54 am
Quote:
His view of politics is unlike that of any president in modern times. Where other occupants of the Oval Office might go out of their way to avoid public fights with hurricane victims, popular athletes or members of their own team, Mr. Trump relishes them. He thinks they make him look strong.
NYT
Yep.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 05:56 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Brush up on your reading comprehension. That post had nothing to do with America.
I've tried hard, but unfortunately even that didn't help to get a FT-subscription.
(I supposed it had to do with "Trump and relevant contemporary events". Sorry thad I'd posted on the wrong thread.)
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 06:01 am
@Setanta,
You’re an old gasbag who constantly shows up, telling everyone Catalonia isn’t news, freedom of speech isn’t news, neoliberalism isn’t a word... and then you try to grandstand, belching out peripherally-related history.

The world is changing. You obviously can’t keep up.

Chris Hedges and Noam Chomsky agree with me. It is fine with me that you don’t.

You’ll be sitting in the corner of a nursing home, drooling on yourself, muttering history while the world burns.

Pathetic.
Lash

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 06:02 am
@blatham,
I agree.
blatham

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 06:14 am
In France, two young women were brutally murdered by what appears certain to be a Muslim-sympathizer-terrorist.

Meanwhile, in Las Vegas, there are 50 dead (there will be more) and 200+ wounded in shooting by 64 year old white American.
Quote:
A federal law enforcement official said a cache of weapons was found inside the hotel room where Paddock died,
USAToday

Let the bells of freedom ring!

0 Replies

blatham

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 06:16 am
@Lash,
Please feel free to explicate your thinking.
Setanta

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 06:17 am
@Lash,
Those things aren't news to people who pay attention. You're just a bandwagon thinker, looking for the next "new" thing to latch onto. A series of nasty personal slurs doesn't alter, nor disguise how clueless you are.

The world is changing? Not by much. Plus ça change . . .
blatham

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 06:20 am
Quote:
Add this to the growing file folder that can be labeled “Depressing but not Surprising”: The only thing today’s Republican Party knows how to do is cut taxes for the very rich.

It’s depressing because the GOP has abandoned roles it once played in our public life: pioneering programs aimed at assisting Americans of modest means in lifting themselves up, and supporting productive government investments that the private sector was unlikely to undertake.

The party of Donald Trump, Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell has abandoned the legacy of Abraham Lincoln, who championed the Homestead Act and land-grant colleges; Teddy Roosevelt, who protected vast tracts of nature on behalf of future generations; and Dwight Eisenhower, who pushed for student loans and the Interstate Highway System.

The heirs to Honest Abe, TR and Ike seem to believe in only one thing: throwing vast quantities of money at the already wealthy. And they have the nerve to pretend that they aren’t really trying to further enrich the moneyed classes. They claim that comforting the comfortable will someday, really and truly, help working people by creating jobs and economic growth.
EJDionne WP
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 06:28 am
@blatham,
I’m trying not to use that first paragraph as my new quote. Give me a minute.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 06:32 am
@Setanta,
Yeah. Nothing that’s currently happening in the world is news.

You’re a bizarre, furious old man with delusions of grandeur. Go bark history to somebody.

The world is changing.
Setanta

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 06:39 am
@Lash,
You don't know anything about me, but that's OK, I understand your need to sound knowing and wise, in a world that has passed you by because you have drunk the conservative kool-aid.

Once again, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
blatham

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 06:56 am
Quote:
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 18h18 hours ago
Being nice to Rocket Man hasn't worked in 25 years, why would it work now? Clinton failed, Bush failed, and Obama failed. I won't fail.

This dude is one hell of a history buff.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 07:03 am
I’ve heard motive speculation. A Bernie or Hillary supporter, trying to wipe out Trump supporters.

No basis for speculation. Interesting, though.
Lash

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 07:05 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You don't know anything about me, but that's OK, I understand your need to sound knowing and wise, in a world that has passed you by.[/i]

Right back atcha.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 07:06 am
Quote:
Trump’s media slurs are hardly the most important facet of the ongoing tragedy in Puerto Rico. Unlike some other Trump targets, the media can give as good as it gets. And pouncing on the media makes sense for Trump, given how unpopular the media is at large and how especially loathed it is among the president’s political base.

But “POTUS vs. the media” is still of note because of the fear that animates the president’s attacks. He isn’t slagging the media merely to score political points. Trump is waging a war on the press because of the role it plays in recording, sometimes imperfectly, what occurs in real time all around us and during harrowing events, such as those in Puerto Rico. The president is waging a war on the media as part of his war on the public’s collective memory.
Bloomberg
Exactly right. His desire is to foster an environment where Trump himself is the sole source of Truth and where Falsehood is identified wherever it challenges Trump's Truth.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 07:11 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I’ve heard motive speculation. A Bernie or Hillary supporter, trying to wipe out Trump supporters.

You've heard that, have you? I find myself wondering where you heard it.