monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

wmwcjr

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:17 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Is the NFL and private citizens' protest an appropriate topic for the Prez to even discuss, let alone focus on at this time?

Excellent question! I seriously doubt that any of our previous Presidents, Republican or Democrat, would focus on this issue or even mention it. Also, notice how much time Trump has spent talking about NFL kneeling as compared to Charlottesville. Why has he spent far more time talking about the NFL?
blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:19 am
Worth remembering in compiling our Annals of Trumpian Swamp Draining
Quote:
David Frum‏Verified account @davidfrum 23h23 hours ago
More David Frum Retweeted Matt McDermott
All the abusive spending revealed to date still does not add up to one Trump golf outing to Mar-a-Lago
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:20 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Irritation at politics injected in the game could be driving some of the chill, but hell, that only takes a couple of minutes at the beginning of the game.

It seems to be more than that.

The protest has gotten a great deal of attention. The fans are largely furious. I'll have to try to consider what has been gained.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:25 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The notion that colored people are lazy, irresponsible and shiftless is a fundamental and consistent element of American racism and has been for a very long time. Thus Reagan's "welfare queens", thus Romney's "the takers" and thus Trump's tweet today.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:28 am
@blatham,
The question seems to be why those black folks aren't more grateful for what they got - both on Puerto Rico as well as especially on the football field.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:28 am
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
notice how much time Trump has spent talking about NFL kneeling as compared to Charlottesville. Why has he spent far more time talking about the NFL?

We do know the answer to this. Distraction from everything going wrong (Obamacare repeal, Price et al, Russian investigation, crisis management failures, etc to keep his base on side.

And, of course, racism, to keep his base enraged and on side.
glitterbag

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:32 am
@wmwcjr,
Let's hope Trump gets happy with the NFL quickly, because there is an entire territory called Puerto Rico that is in desperate need of help. No electricity, no roads, no phone, no dialysis, no refrigeration for insulin dependent diabetics, no water, no food, no medical care. But, let's continue to be offended because a few NFL players protest racial inequties......as Trump points out, Puerto Rico has a pre-existing debt issue.............but surely the King of debt can think of something
blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:33 am
This will cheer you all up and finally give you a proper sense of the populist ideas held so sincerely and fervently by Trump and the GOP

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK11dWLW4AE7C3r.jpg
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:33 am
@glitterbag,
Trump knows no shame
blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:43 am
Quote:
Nate Silver‏Verified account @NateSilver538 5h5 hours ago
More Nate Silver Retweeted Nate Silver
So, it totally fits the pattern that Trump is attacking the mayor San Juan. She challenged him and she's a woman (and Hispanic, obviously.)

Yep.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:46 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Trump knows no shame

Quote:
What is the Definition of a Sociopath?
The DSM-5 defines antisocial personality disorder as "[a] pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others, occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three (or more) of the following:

Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors, as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest.
Deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure.
Impulsivity or failure to plan ahead.
Irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults.
Reckless disregard for safety of self or others.
Consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations.
Lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another."
link here
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:47 am
@blatham,
take a look at the numbers coming out for Pruitt
blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 12:02 pm
Donald Trump is, as we know, off on a weekend holiday playing golf. When he's not tweeting that PR citizens are lazy and irresponsible.

Children in PR working to clean streets
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK-RiDJWkAU_6Ez.jpg

blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 12:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Re flight and other expenses?
Setanta

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 12:13 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Absolutely amazing that this is coming from Townhall.

As often as I am able, I try to link middle of the road, if not outright conservative sources, to obviate sneers about librul propaganda.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 12:18 pm
@blatham,
OMG Crying or Very sad

Why can't the republicans get rid of him soon? Surely there is enough to get him on something and impeach and throw him out of office.
blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 12:32 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Why can't the republicans get rid of him soon?

"Republicans" now means something different than it once meant. The on-going civil war is evidence of the ideological chaos.

But if existing power structures on the right decide that future electoral chances are being seriously damaged in a manner and severity that works against their wishes, some shift in consensus about Trump definitely might arise.

Keep you eye on Pence. He's doing everything he can to
1) be seen by the base as loyal to the Republican president
2) while keeping himself insulated from direct identification with Trump's worst behaviors (I'm a loyal Republican but I'm my own man).

At this point, he's still the favorite of the Koch crowd (so far as I can tell) to run things the way they want. If they go after Trump, the level of Pence's stated or implied differences with Trump will increase. That will be a good clue.

Edit: let me add that this possible replacement of GOP leader in the WH will do American no significant favors and will almost certainly only hasten the evisceration of citizen government.
blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 12:46 pm
Let's note that without Politico's shoe-leather reporting, Price would certainly still be in his post and continuing the behaviors which, because he got caught, put him out of office.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 12:48 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Edit: let me add that this possible replacement of GOP leader in the WH will do American no significant favors and will almost certainly only hasten the evisceration of citizen government.

I know, but surely Pence will just be a normal uncaring republican president. Surely he can't be no worse than Reagan? Hopefully, in the next Presidential election, democrats/leaning left independents will put up someone who will win and we can undo most of it. But in my opinion, Trump has to go, he is just horrible.
Setanta

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 12:50 pm
@revelette1,
Don't forget Pence's fundamentalist religious origin and base. Pence scares me more than Plump, because he has political experience, and knows how to get things done.