monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:12 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Cycloptichorn (Post 6513162)
Quote:
It advances no goal for us, unless the goal is to divide the country and stoke racial resentment.

Putin must be so proud.

The near perfect alignment between Bannon's and Putin's goals and propaganda strategies would, you'd think, catch the attention of more conservatives. But I'm sure it hasn't escaped the notice of Meuller and his team.
blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:16 am
Just found this great comment
Quote:
"Racism is so American that when we protest racism the average American assumes we're protesting America"
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:18 am
Quote:
Denice Frohman‏Verified account @denicefrohman 4h4 hours ago
To be clear, this is the mayor of San Juan who he insulted. She's using a bullhorn to find people.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK-M9o_XkAAqoCy.jpg

Quote:
Jessica Valenti‏Verified account @JessicaValenti 3h3 hours ago
To be clear: a man who shits on a golden toilet & golfs while Americans die is complaining that this woman & the people she's helping want "everything done for them"?
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:24 am
I thought Trump's statement would help Colin's cause. It did on social media, but now I have a much better understanding of why no coach would touch him.

The NFL fan base is much more against the protest than the public. The protest could have definitely damaged Kaepernick's team ticket sales.

Not happy news, but accurate.

The mentality of the fans should be analyzed.
blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:24 am
Not sure how I missed this earlier
Quote:
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
...Such poor leadership ability by the Mayor of San Juan, and others in Puerto Rico, who are not able to get their workers to help. They....
4:26 AM - 30 Sep 2017

Because colored people are shiftless, indolent, slothful, and lackadaisical. They can't really even help it. It's in their very nature. They have lazy bones.
blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:26 am
Quote:
Stephen Walt‏Verified account @stephenWalt 2h2 hours ago
Yet again, Divider-in-Chief #Trump shows that in his White House, "the buck stops anywhere else." #PuertoRicoRelief

Yes.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:27 am
Quote:
Matthew Yglesias‏Verified account @mattyglesias Sep 28
Imagine the geniuses who can't get diesel to a nearby island masterminding a war with Iran.

Double yes on this one.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:28 am
@blatham,
Well, they are in the middle of an ocean and really should hurry up to repay the costs of wonderful repair done by the Trump administration.
But the mayor should stop complaining at first - saving lives really can disturb making America great!
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:31 am
@glitterbag,
Thank you, Miss Crabtree

Actually, the absolutely correct quote is

Quote:
“They seek him here, they seek him there
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere
Is he in heaven or is he in hell?
That demned elusive Pimpernel”

So I was inaccurate twice.

Of course "we" and "those Frenchies" could be seeking him at the same time
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Middle of big ocean. Big water. Ocean water. Huge. And salty. Most people don't know that.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:37 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

For your and this Jim Geraghty's information, they kneel to attract attention towards, and express their disgust about cops murdering black people with impunity in their country.

The players who kneel have more respect for the US than their detractors. They expect more of it than their detractors, who seem to be quite happy with a racist police force killing people.

Oh...I'll be sure to email Geraghty with your helpful explanation. I'm sure that never occurred to him.
0 Replies

snood

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:38 am
("Just curious" again, Finn)
Donald and Ivanka Trump tout American manufacturing ingenuity and exhort us to 'buy American', but both of them manufacture all of their branded products in cheap-labor foreign lands. Does that bother the "fiscal conservatives" here?
Trump got into office promising to "drain the swamp" of corruption , but his administration keeps getting exposed committing waste and abuse of taxpayer funds. Does this bother the "fiscal conservatives" here?
ehBeth

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:42 am
@Setanta,
Absolutely amazing that this is coming from Townhall.
blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:45 am
Relative impacts of Trump's tax plan. I mean, this is POPULISM if I ever saw it. source here

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK96k7eXUAAgUL5.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:47 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

("Just curious" again, Finn)
Donald and Ivanka Trump tout American manufacturing ingenuity and exhort us to 'buy American', but both of them manufacture all of their branded products in cheap-labor foreign lands. Does that bother the "fiscal conservatives" here?
Trump got into office promising to "drain the swamp" of corruption , but his administration keeps getting exposed committing waste and abuse of taxpayer funds. Does this bother the "fiscal conservatives" here?

I'll be happy to satisfy your disingenuous curiosity, although how can possibly answer for all of the "fiscal conservatives" anywhere?

1: Yes. It's hypocritical and at the same time anti-globalism

2: Yes, but I think you have overstated your case. in terms of volume, and you'll note as well that Price is gone.

Of course, I've never professed that Trump and his Administration are perfect, only still preferable to what we would most likely have seen with HRC in the White House.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:51 am
Quote:
@realDonaldTrump
President Obama should have gone to Louisiana days ago, instead of golfing. Too little, too late!
9:15 AM - 23 Aug 2016

As Matt Yglesias observes
Quote:
Wow. He hate the troops.

0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:06 am
Quote:
A comprehensive study released today suggests how many missing votes can be attributed to the new law. Researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison surveyed registered voters who didn’t cast a 2016 ballot in the state’s two biggest counties—Milwaukee and Dane, which is home to Madison. More than 1 out of 10 nonvoters (11.2 percent) said they lacked acceptable voter ID and cited the law as a reason why they didn’t vote; 6.4 percent of respondents said the voter ID law was the “main reason” they didn’t vote.

The study’s lead author, University of Wisconsin political scientist Kenneth Mayer, says between roughly 9,000 and 23,000 registered voters in the reliably Democratic counties were deterred from voting by the ID law. Extrapolating statewide, he says the data suggests as many as 45,000 voters sat out the election, though he cautioned that it was difficult to produce an estimate from just two counties.*

“We have hard evidence there were tens of thousands of people who were unable to vote because of the voter ID law,” Mayer told me.
MJ
But as we know, that's the game.
Quote:
Voter ID, which is going to win Pennsylvania for Romney. Done.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:07 am
@Lash,
While there are, undoubtedly, a large number of fans who find "taking the knee" to be offensive, there is just as large a group who resent the introduction of politics into their favorite source of escapist entertainment.

The players are paid very large amounts of money to entertain the fans. If they annoy the fans to the point they are more aggravated than entertained, those fans will stop watching. Most especially as respects the majority of teams who don't win enough games to make the playoffs. Fans will be loyal to losing teams, but not if they have reason to be pissed off with the players.

By indulging themselves with symbolic gestures to bring attention to an issue that gets all of the attention it needs, they risk killing their golden goose. I'm quite sure that when presented with that as a real possibility the social consciousness of most of them will fade.

If they wish to link their fame and name recognition to the issue, doing so on any other day but Sunday would much wiser. How many fans do you really believe have been enlightened by the taking of the knee?
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:11 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Not sure how I missed this earlier
Quote:
@realDonaldTrump
...Such poor leadership ability by the Mayor of San Juan, and others in Puerto Rico, who are not able to get their workers to help. They....
4:26 AM - 30 Sep 2017

Because colored people are shiftless, indolent, slothful, and lackadaisical. They can't really even help it. It's in their very nature. They have lazy bones.

A typical, ridiculous interpretation.

Walter Hinteler

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:15 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
A typical, ridiculous interpretation.
And how do you interpret that?
Similar to what Homeland Security Elaine Duke’s remarked on Thursday that only a "limited number of deaths … have taken place," and, overall, Puerto Rico was "a good news story"?