monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

snood

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:29 pm
Deep thoughts from Donald J. Trump:
"Puerto Rico is an island, surrounded by water - big water... ocean water."(actual quote)
wmwcjr

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:32 pm
@ehBeth,
I used to believe that white racism would be relegated to the dustbin of history. But it never will be because it's passed on from one generation to the next. The same is true of antisemitism and other kinds of bigotry.
blatham

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:34 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I wasn't asking who they are in terms of names.
I was asking who they are in terms of what kind of human beings are they.

I understand that. My wager would be that some significant proportion of those giving the thumbs down vote will actually be thinking, "Compelling liberalish post. Must down-vote!" Identification of the turkey by name would, I think, encourage a deeper level of honesty.
blatham

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:39 pm
From Ed Kilgore
Quote:
The GOP’s New Budget Tries to Keep It Simple: Big Tax Cuts for the Rich, Not Much Else
NYMag
wmwcjr

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:40 pm
@blatham,
It's absolutely disgusting.

Quote:
Identification of the turkey by name would, I think, encourage a deeper level of honesty.

I suspect that at least one of those who thumbed down that video is one of the major contributors to this topic.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:42 pm
@snood,
Someone's been reading Dr. Seuss to #45. Really. It's all that comes to mind.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:47 pm
@snood,
Quote:
"Puerto Rico is an island, surrounded by water - big water... ocean water."(

Yes, he will be remembered as one of the greatest orators of the modern age. His insight is stunning.
ehBeth

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:52 pm
@snood,
I can't - all I did earlier (when someone brought it to my attention) was watch the numbers change. this sort of thing 4, 1, 3, 2, 1, 3, 1 ...

If I hadn't seen it as it was happening, I would have just seen it with whatever its current number is, which is a differential/split.

i.e. if a post shows -1, you know 2 more thumbed it down than thumbed it up (in total). I would likely have thought 2 thumbed it down if I hadn't been watching it. Watching it go up and down gave me a different read.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:54 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Identification of the turkey by name would, I think, encourage a deeper level of honesty.

I'm not nearly that optimistic.

Then again, I don't mind doing the angry face on FB posts that others are cheering on.
blatham

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:57 pm
Imagine if Obama or a spokesperson for his administration had said, when the Deep Water Horizon explosion and oil spill crisis was a week or two in, that it was "a good news story".

Recall at that time that Obama and admin officials were on camera daily or almost daily to give details on the emerging situation and the attempts to figure out how to solve this problem. The WH was acutely involved in trying to resolve the problem and in keeping Americans informed. And this was an environmental matter. Not a matter of thousands of people at risk of dying.

Now, this...
Quote:
The mayor of San Juan, Puerto Rico, lashed out at acting Secretary of Homeland Security Elaine Duke's comment that the Hurricane Maria relief efforts are a "good-news story," saying, that in reality, it's a "people-are-dying story."

Speaking outside the White House on Thursday, Duke said she is “very satisfied” with efforts to aid Puerto Rico in the wake of Maria, which devastated the island and has created a humanitarian crisis. Duke said, “It is really a good-news story,” an assessment that prompted San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz's strong rebuttal.

“Well, maybe from where she's standing, it's a good-news story. When you’re drinking from a creek, it's not a good-news story. When you don't have food for a baby, it's not a good-news story,” Cruz told CNN’s “New Day,” referring to the plight of Puerto Ricans, many of whom have received little or no aid thus far. “When you have to pull people down from their buildings — I'm sorry, but that really upsets me and frustrates me. You know, I would ask her to come down here and visit the towns, and then make a statement like that, which frankly, it is an irresponsible statement.

“Damn it, this is not a good-news story. This is a people-are-dying story. This is a life-or-death story. This is a 'there's-a-truck-load-of-stuff-that-cannot-be-taken-to-people story.' This is a story of a devastation that continues to worsen because people are not getting food and water,” she continued. “It is not a good-news story when people are dying, when they don't have dialysis, when their generators aren't working and their oxygen isn’t providing for them. Where is there good news here? ... I’m really sorry, but you know when you have people out there dying, literally, scraping for food, where is the good news?”
Politico
reasoning logic

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:57 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Price has resigned .

"The price is right" about his decision.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 06:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I'm not nearly that optimistic.

It's a failing of mine. To underline this point, I'm even optimistic that one day I will manage to become more cynical.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 06:12 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you for sharing. It is not often I find value in videos here at a2k.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 06:18 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Apples to Oranges--the constitution vests the power to create an regulate executive branch offices, and to appoint the lesser officers in Congress.

Congress' power to create executive offices and agencies does not change the reality that the President has total power to command those offices and agencies.

Where does the Constitution give Congress the power to regulate offices of the executive branch?

Congress has power over the funding of executive agencies, but that is no particular authorization to regulate those agencies, and certainly not a power to prevent the President from firing executive officials.

Setanta wrote:
In fact, the contemporary activist, conservative court has recently determined that the executive power of the President can be limited, and specifically in cases in which the President fires a lesser officer.

The contemporary court is hardly activist.

There is a difference between limits on executive power and the fact that 100% of what executive power does exist, is held by the President alone.

I'm not sure what case by the contemporary court you are referring to, so cannot comment further.

Setanta wrote:
This goes back to FDR in 1933--see Humphrey’s Executor v. United States.

That dealt with the President's ability to fire judicial and legislative officials. It does not change the reality that the President has absolute power to fire executive officers.

Setanta wrote:
It goes back even further than that, though, to 1867 when Andrew Johnson attempted to fire Stanton, the secretary of war--but the Court upheld the tenure of office act.

A clearly unconstitutional law.

The court upheld it? Meaning the Supreme Court? Cite?

Setanta wrote:
In fact, were Congress not spineless, they could have prevented the firing of Comey.

The only way they could prevent such a thing would be to refuse to pass legislation or authorize funding until Trump agreed to keep Comey on.

Had Trump been content with their refusal to pass legislation or authorize funding, they could not have done anything further to force him to keep Comey on.

Setanta wrote:
Don't tell me what is usual on-line,

If you complain about a lack of my cites when no one has requested any cites from me, it is reasonable for me to point out that cites are usually provided only after they are asked for.

Setanta wrote:
I have no respect for your intelligence, your knowledge nor you grasp on reality.

Your lack of respect for people who are smarter and more knowledgeable than you are leads to situations where you get proven wrong over and over again.

Setanta wrote:
If you're going to shoot your mouth off about the constitution, you need to read and understand the document first; then you need to read and understand the history of judicial review.

Fear not. I have all of that well in hand.

Setanta wrote:
You clearly do not understand any of those things.

No, I understand all of that quite well. That is why you will once again fail to show any facts that I am wrong about.
reasoning logic

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 06:19 pm
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
I used to believe that white racism would be relegated to the dustbin of history. But it never will be because it's passed on from one generation to the next. The same is true of antisemitism and other kinds of bigotry.

In my humble opinion it will always exist but as the masses become more ethically informed it will be tolerated less and less. Could you expect any more from the fifth apes? Idea
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 06:33 pm
https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2016-11-29/donald-trump-picks-tom-price-to-lead-health-and-human-services

Quote:
The appointment, first reported Monday night by the Washington Post, was officially announced Tuesday by Trump's transition team. The email announcement called Price a "fierce opponent of government waste and devoted to limited government and lower spending."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-price-confirmed-as-secretary-of-health-and-human-services/

__

interesting little tidbit

https://psmag.com/news/fired-u-s-attorney-preet-bharara-said-to-have-been-investigating-hhs-secretary-tom-price

Quote:
Former United States Attorney Preet Bharara, who was removed from his post by the Trump administration last week, was overseeing an investigation into stock trades made by the president’s health secretary, according to a person familiar with the office.

Tom Price, head of the Department of Health and Human Services, came under scrutiny during his confirmation hearings for investments he made while serving in Congress. The Georgia lawmaker traded hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of shares in health-related companies, even as he voted on and sponsored legislation affecting the industry.

ehBeth

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 06:38 pm
@TomTomBinks,
from Mrs. Betty Bowers, America's Best Christian (tm)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK6E7d2VAAELXwJ.jpg
0 Replies

thack45

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 06:39 pm
@blatham,
It's gonna work this time, coz the job creators need the money to create the jobs, and this time they's for reals about that

Meanwhile, chief economic advisor Cohn says a typical middle-class American family earning 100k/year can expect a cool 1000 beans (sort of, sometimes), with which they can..
Quote:
renovate their kitchen, they can buy a new car, they can take a family vacation, they can increase their lifestyle. That's what our tax plan has to do. Our tax plan is aimed to return more income back to hardworking Americans. That's what we're trying to do here.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?434841-1/white-house-briefs-tax-cuts-plan-hurricane-relief

So if you're fortunate enough to bring in 100k/year, look forward to that extra 20 bucks a week. Starbucks for the whole family!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 06:42 pm
@blatham,
Just listened to that interview with Mayor Cruz. Powerful.
0 Replies

thack45

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 06:45 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

blatham wrote:

Quote:
The numbers are in: Trump's tax plan is a bonanza for the rich, not the middle class

...The tax reform "framework" proposed by the Trump administration and Republican leaders in Congress would give the largest benefits to the top 1 and top 0.1 percent of households, according to a new analysis by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center. The poor and middle class would get comparatively little. And the whole thing would leave a $2.4 trillion hole in federal revenue in the first decade.
Vox

And you expected what? Populist empathy with the millions of working stiffs of America?

His faithful will continue to believe, notwithstanding the numbers.

Don't you try to tell me that you can't feed your family on respect for the military and American flags!
0 Replies