monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 03:54 pm
@snood,
I just hope the Deputy Assistant Secretary knows something about health care and has an ounce of compassion. Doubtful he would last if he/she does.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 03:56 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

Finn was telling the truth about the Obama Administration using the IRS to persecute conservative groups.

Except for the fact that he wasn't, because no such thing has ever been shown to have occurred, and you know it.

That doesn't stop you though, because you're literally insane. Finn is mendacious and knows better than to push it when called on it. You don't and will respond with some blather, but no evidence, all while loudly proclaiming that you are correct and that the Dems are responsible for all evils in the world.

This is why you aren't taken seriously by anyone here

Cycloptichorn
BillW

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 04:00 pm
@Setanta,
Let me point out a Dem vs Rep IRS trend. When Dems take over the White House they have the IRS focus audits on the upscale $ earners so that the IRS makes money on audits. The Reps have the IRS focus on low end wage earners, therefore increasing the number of deficiencies found. Of course, high end wage earners trend Rep (can you say - ELITE) and low end wage earners typically trend Dem. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 04:03 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

I just heard that now the person in charge of Price's department is a Deputy Assistant Secretary. For some perspective on the level of jacked-up understaffing and disorganization going on in Trump's administration, the pecking order goes something like: Secretary, Assistant Secretary, several Deputy Secretaries, then several Deputy Assistant Secretaries. Doesn't this just FILL you with confidence that our countries' government is in good hands? It gives me a real warm fuzzy.

Actually, in this case - yes snood. It's likely this person is a Dem holdover. So, if so, that may be the best possible outcome!
oralloy

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 04:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You guys always seem to forget that the IRS was found to have been doing this to organizations from BOTH sides of the fence. Mighty odd, that, if it was politically motivated.

Most of the groups that were harmed were conservative.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
What more, neither the Treasury Department Inspector General, the FBI investigation, the DoJ investigation, the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, or the Senate Finance Committee found even a shadow of evidence that this was even discussed with the WH, let alone ordered to have taken place by Obama or anyone in the WH.

Whitewash. Let's have a special prosecutor conduct a real investigation of the Obama Administration.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You say 'there should have been a special prosecutor,' but why?

To finally get at the truth of the Obama Administration's crimes.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Investigations ran by the Republicans concluded that Obama had nothing to do with it, and that while IRS policies were violated, no criminal acts occurred.

They were not given the resources to dig up the truth.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
It is not credible to claim that the lack of a special prosecutor prevented investigations from moving forward in this matter.

Sure it is. Only a special prosecutor can finally achieve justice for the victims of the Obama Administration.
snood

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 04:14 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

snood wrote:

I just heard that now the person in charge of Price's department is a Deputy Assistant Secretary. For some perspective on the level of jacked-up understaffing and disorganization going on in Trump's administration, the pecking order goes something like: Secretary, Assistant Secretary, several Deputy Secretaries, then several Deputy Assistant Secretaries. Doesn't this just FILL you with confidence that our countries' government is in good hands? It gives me a real warm fuzzy.

Actually, in this case - yes snood. It's likely this person is a Dem holdover. So, if so, that may be the best possible outcome!

That's taking "glass half full" thinking to manic levels, IMHO.
oralloy

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 04:19 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Except for the fact that he wasn't, because no such thing has ever been shown to have occurred, and you know it.

It has been shown that most of the groups harmed were conservative.

We haven't yet had a proper investigation of what happened, so there is no way for Obama Administration wrongdoing to have been proven.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
That doesn't stop you though, because you're literally insane.

Funny how no one can challenge any of my facts.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Finn is mendacious

Nonsense.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You don't and will respond with some blather, but no evidence,

I always provide evidence whenever someone asks me for a cite.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
all while loudly proclaiming that you are correct and that the Dems are responsible for all evils in the world.

Nothing wrong with me telling the truth.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
This is why you aren't taken seriously by anyone here

The fact that liberals always deny reality is no reflection on me.
blatham

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 04:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Re: glitterbag (Post 6512798)
[The resignation of Price] is good news

Price is a bit unique here (contrasted with Mnuchin and Cohn, etc) because he had failed Trump re Obamacare repeal and Trump had alluded to this failure and Price's tenuous future long before the flight expenditures had been revealed.
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 04:25 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

BillW wrote:

snood wrote:

That's taking "glass half full" thinking to manic levels, IMHO.

Gotta have some hope dude. But, don't tell tRump, they'll immediately get fired if they are Dem.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 04:29 pm
@oralloy,
Apples to Oranges--the constitution vests the power to create an regulate executive branch offices, and to appoint the lesser officers in Congress. The passage you cite does not abrogate that power. In fact, the contemporary activist, conservative court has recently determined that the executive power of the President can be limited, and specifically in cases in which the President fires a lesser officer. This goes back to FDR in 1933--see Humphrey’s Executor v. United States. It goes back even further than that, though, to 1867 when Andrew Johnson attempted to fire Stanton, the secretary of war--but the Court upheld the tenure of office act. (In fact, were Congress not spineless, they could have prevented the firing of Comey.) It was on that basis that Congress impeached Johnson, but failed to convict.

My advice to you is that if the stakes are high, get a lawyer. You wouldn't want to represent yourself. Don't tell me what is usual on-line, I have no respect for your intelligence, your knowledge nor you grasp on reality. If you're going to shoot your mouth off about the constitution, you need to read and understand the document first; then you need to read and understand the history of judicial review. You clearly do not understand any of those things.
blatham

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 04:29 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I see Finny has voted down my post about the lack of memory and the 140 character universe.

It was a good post. Those of us who read a lot (books, even!) constantly bump into others who don't and who absorb talking points and parrot cliches and who believe they have some mastery in subjects under discussion. Probably 9 of 10 people I have on ignore are those folks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 04:50 pm
@ehBeth,

I don't usually pay attention to thumbs but watching the numbers on this post zoom up and down was interesting.

I am very curious about the kind of people who think that an American Lt. Gen insisting on dignity and respect for all is problematic messaging.

Not wanting dignity and respect for all within the American military system.

Who are those people?

___

Re-posting it so I can watch the thumbs again and continue to reflect on who those people are in real life.
blatham

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 04:51 pm
As the Caribbean tragedy played out over the last month, it was impossible to not think about the imminent arrival of disaster capitalists into the region. Most of the profiteering (which is surely already begun to happen) will be out of sight but just try to imagine the amounts of money involved.

Josh at TPM has a smart piece up today that points to just one likely instance of this:
Quote:
This is super important to watch.

In addition to being slow to react to the catastrophic impact of Hurricane Maria and inclined to blame Puerto Rico itself for a lot of the problems, there’s been something specific about his comments. He keeps talking about Puerto Rico’s public debt.

Set aside the irony of someone who has made a career and a fortune out of skipping on his own debts pressing an embattled American territory on its debt obligations. This and other comments about the Puerto Rico crisis make it look very much like Trump plans to use the disaster as a wedge to enforce a massive wave of privatization on the Island. His comments, hints and overall attitude suggest he’s looking at the crisis not as a public emergency on US territory but more like the way a rival business looks at a distressed competitor that needs a rescue, with all the maximization of pressure and advantage that entails. For now, look at the comments collected together here. We’ll be discussing this more. This is a big, big deal, in addition to the obvious and immediate humanitarian crisis which is now unfolding.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:12 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Who are those people?

Though I understand some of the dangers (ie, the recently mentioned DoJ move to discover particular Facebook participants) I'm in favor of pretty robust transparency rules for social media. I would probably be in favor of the thumb function being accompanied with access to the names of those participating.
wmwcjr

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:18 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Beria ate him.

No one could eat Stalin. Unfortunately. But that monster Beria was eaten by Khrushchev (who wasn't much better).
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:20 pm
@ehBeth,
I agree completely.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:22 pm
Quote:
The numbers are in: Trump's tax plan is a bonanza for the rich, not the middle class

...The tax reform "framework" proposed by the Trump administration and Republican leaders in Congress would give the largest benefits to the top 1 and top 0.1 percent of households, according to a new analysis by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center. The poor and middle class would get comparatively little. And the whole thing would leave a $2.4 trillion hole in federal revenue in the first decade.
Vox

And you expected what? Populist empathy with the millions of working stiffs of America?
ehBeth

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:23 pm
@blatham,
I wasn't asking who they are in terms of names.

I was asking who they are in terms of what kind of human beings are they.

I understand that America has an enormous political divide, put I thought everyone would be proud that their military is being told that dignity and respect toward others is expected of them.

Suggesting that dignity and respect toward others, regardless of gender and race (by thumbing down that video), is not desired in the US airforce is .. I can't even find the true words to express my concern for a population that includes such people.

snood

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:24 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
The numbers are in: Trump's tax plan is a bonanza for the rich, not the middle class

...The tax reform "framework" proposed by the Trump administration and Republican leaders in Congress would give the largest benefits to the top 1 and top 0.1 percent of households, according to a new analysis by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center. The poor and middle class would get comparatively little. And the whole thing would leave a $2.4 trillion hole in federal revenue in the first decade.
Vox

And you expected what? Populist empathy with the millions of working stiffs of America?

His faithful will continue to believe, notwithstanding the numbers.
snood

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 05:26 pm
@ehBeth,
How can you tell who thumbs and how they thumb?