monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 12:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

A) that was perfectly obvious to anyone who read it without you pointing it out, and

Really? Maybe; maybe not. A little touchy?

B) there actually is no proof that any such thing ever happened; what more, there's literally never been an iota of evidence that anyone in the Obama admin ordered anything of the sort to happen. So, no, I don't think it's accurate to say that he did.

There should have been a special investigator. The DOJ certainly wasn't willing to pursue it and Lois Lerner repeatedly taking the 5th stuck to high heavens. You know if the parties were switched you would have been screaming foul.

I'm also not interested in seeing you regurgitate the same links I've already read from right-wing sites alleging targeting without any real evidence of a specific program to do so, so don't even bother posting it

Preemptive dismissal? Cute. I'll post what I please and you can decide whether or not you want to read it when I do. BTW I had and have no intention of posting anything. Anyone with a brain knows what happened.

Furthermore, I'll point out that having the IRS review the tax-status of organizations to see if they truly should be tax-exempt is a markedly different thing than seeking information on private citizens to persecute them, simply because they visited a website that you don't like. But, you knew that already.

Yes, but that's not what happened. It's water under the bridge though. It was an abuse that will never be brought to light. Yet another from our wonderful government.

Cycloptichorn
blatham

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 12:31 pm
@ehBeth,
God damn. Thank you Beth. What a cool, sane dude that guy is.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 12:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Anyone with a brain knows what happened.

Well yeah, but do you know what happened?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRS_targeting_controversy

You guys always seem to forget that the IRS was found to have been doing this to organizations from BOTH sides of the fence. Mighty odd, that, if it was politically motivated. What more, neither the Treasury Department Inspector General, the FBI investigation, the DoJ investigation, the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, or the Senate Finance Committee found even a shadow of evidence that this was even discussed with the WH, let alone ordered to have taken place by Obama or anyone in the WH.

You say 'there should have been a special prosecutor,' but why? Investigations ran by the Republicans concluded that Obama had nothing to do with it, and that while IRS policies were violated, no criminal acts occurred. It is not credible to claim that the lack of a special prosecutor prevented investigations from moving forward in this matter.

But hey keep beating that drum, I encourage it! You can put this one on the shelf next to the Clinton conspiracy theories, they can all gather dust in the resentment section of your mind.

Cycloptichorn
blatham

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 12:44 pm
It's like a low-budget circus act. DonO The Fat Clown.
Quote:
Take this morning, for example, when the president delivered a speech to the National Association of Manufacturers. Reading from his teleprompter, Trump began by sending "our thoughts and prayers to the people of Puerto Rico, who have been struck by storms of historic and catastrophic severity." But then he strayed from his script:

"The response and recovery effort probably has never been seen for something like this. This is an island surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water."
Benen
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 12:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Furthermore, I'll point out that having the IRS review the tax-status of organizations to see if they truly should be tax-exempt is a markedly different thing than seeking information on private citizens to persecute them, simply because they visited a website that you don't like. But, you knew that already.

Cycloptichorn

That's actually Nixonian.....
coluber2001

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 12:51 pm
It's becoming obvious to me that Trump must be some kind of a misunderstood genius with a goal of unifying the people, which will become apparent in the future. He is intentionally speaking and acting like a total, asinine fool with the intention of alienating even his most diehard, chauvinistic, true-believing followers and, thereby, unifying every last individual against him. That's how he will unify the country. Then he will finally emerge as a true martyr.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 01:18 pm
@BillW,
Yeah, no sh*t--it's like the IRS enemies list.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 01:44 pm
@blatham,
Well thank you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 01:58 pm
This all brings me back to something I've been mulling over for several days now, and that is the absence of memory in the 140 character world we now inhabit. Bill mentions Nixon's IRS enemies list, probably because he was alive then and paying attention. In the 140 character universe, people pay little attention, and if it can't be summarized in 140 characters, they're not interested. Finn can't get away with blaming Obama for IRS investigations here, because there are too many people here who remember. But I'll bet it works a treat elsewhere on-line.

Of course, it could not have started before 1913, because the sixteenth amendment has not been proposed and ratified until then. But I'm sure that political operatives in various administrations used or proposed using it as a tool very soon after.

But the problem of memory, or actually the lack of memory, is the central issue here. When people were discussing Phyllis Schlafly recently in this thread, my first thought was "Duh . . . everybody knows that." How foolish of me--even people who were adults in the 1970s may not have known about Schlafly and Eagle Forum, because they weren't paying attention.

But then Oralloy starts that idiotic rant about witch hunts. How could anyone who was alive and an adult in the 1970s not know Watergate, the Saturday Night Massacre, and all the indictments and convictions? A little less than a decade later, there was that whole seamy Iran-Contra affair. But what's really amazing is that he can probably get away with that in a lot of on-line venues, because people don't know, and if it can be explained to them in 140 characters, they're not interested. The Valeris Plame affair was not 15 years ago, and Libby was indicted just 12 years ago. It still falls below the radar of so many people today who ought to know better.

People also just don't think about what is being fed to them. How can there be a witch hunt against President Plump by the Democrats when the Republicans control the Congress and the Justice Department? They must be asleep.

Ooops . . . I'm way over 140 characters. This probably will only be read by a handful of people, people who don't need to be told.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 02:16 pm
Trump, when asked about Tom Price's future, says 'we'll decide tonight.'

****** still sees himself as a TV game show host

Taking bets on whether he's fired or not. I'm going to go with no, because Trump can't get a replacement through the Senate and it simply opens up the door for the same charges to be leveled at his other cabinet members who have also been jet-setting on the taxpayer dime.

Cycloptichorn
glitterbag

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 02:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
According to MSNBC Tom Price has resigned as Seretary of HHS.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 02:48 pm
@glitterbag,
Oh, that's good news, what a dick that guy is. And a gigantic hypocrite and thief as well. Glad my prediction was wrong.

The confirmation hearings for his replacement are going to be spectacular.

Now, we'll start going after the other cabinet secretaries who have done similar shitty things. Coming for you next, Gary Cohn, and Mnuchin is right after him.

Goes to show that the minute these assholes got into power, they started abusing it as fast as possible. Just like we said they would, because Trump is a corrupt piece of **** who only hired other corrupt pieces of ****, as nobody who wasn't would ever work for him.

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 02:53 pm
@blatham,
Not necessarily but close enough, since the Establishment co-opts or sends packing reformers.

0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 03:07 pm
Price has resigned . . . no reality television moment for President Plump.

Tom Price resigns as health secretary over private flights and Trump criticism
Setanta

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 03:08 pm
I see Finny has voted down my post about the lack of memory and the 140 character universe. So petty . . .
snood

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 03:30 pm
I just heard that now the person in charge of Price's department is a Deputy Assistant Secretary. For some perspective on the level of jacked-up understaffing and disorganization going on in Trump's administration, the pecking order goes something like: Secretary, Assistant Secretary, several Deputy Secretaries, then several Deputy Assistant Secretaries. Doesn't this just FILL you with confidence that our countries' government is in good hands? It gives me a real warm fuzzy.
Below viewing threshold (view)