monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 04:14 pm
@izzythepush,
Price says he will pay for his "seat" on the planes. Total for those seats? $52,000. But he isn't paying the cost for the planes he used. Real cost here is $400,000. So Price pays 1/8 of the costs he accrued and taypayers pay 7/8.

These people are such scum.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 04:40 pm
@blatham,
There are aspects of unions that I support, especially when juxtaposed with upper management in corporations.

I still think people should have a choice.
wmwcjr

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 04:41 pm
Quote:
Reports: Trump Physically Mocks McCain And McConnell In Private

By Nicole Lafond
Published September 27, 2017 11:12 am

During a private dinner with conservative activists at the White House this week, President Donald Trump complained about his fellow Republicans in the Senate, calling Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) “weak” and physically mocking him and Sen. John McCain (R-AZ).

Imitating McCain’s thumbs-down gesture, which he used to indicate his no vote in the last Obamacare repeal vote in July, Trump reportedly mocked the gesticulation at the dinner, complete with a facial expression. He called McCain “disgraceful” for his decision on health care, Politico and Axios reported.

At the private dinner he also called McConnell “weak” for his failure to repeal Obamacare and for not changing the Senate filibuster rule that would only require 51 votes to pass bills.

Trump also physically mocked McConnell, according to Axios, which reported Trump mimicked McConnell’s posture by slumping his shoulders and having a lethargic demeanor.

While Trump hasn’t refrained from publicly shaming McCain or McConnell in the past, he dialed back on his criticism of the Senate majority leader after the two had a meeting a few weeks ago.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-physically-mocks-mccain-mcconnell-in-private

Does the President have room to talk? Should he be proud of his own misshapen physique?
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 04:42 pm
@maporsche,
You aren't explaining it.

I don't like the mandatory aspect.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 04:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
My personal experience with the teachers union in California cemented my opinion on a few union issues.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 05:37 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I still think people should have a choice.
Not possible, for reasons explained above by another. Anyone working in a unionized position is gaining the benefits that come with the position which will have been fought for by others for a generation or more. To reap those significant benefits without a return contribution would be unfair and unreasonable.

Unions are imperfect institutions, as are all human institutions. But if you really give a damn about the great mass of American citizens and if you understand who is driving "right to work" legislation and why they are, you would be fighting for them rather than against them.
Lash

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 06:45 pm
It's useful to think about some issues this way:

I'm for gun rights, but not assault rifles sold to everyone.
I support abortion, but not late trimester or partial birth.
I'm for unions, but not for a teacher's union that is so powerful that it damages education, and forces people to fund that damage.

Lash

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 06:49 pm
@cameronleon,
I think a less powerful teachers union would be perfect.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 06:51 pm
@cameronleon,
I also think a union responsive to their members would attract members, and one able to extort your money from your check can afford to **** you over and pervert the job performed.

There's a balance.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 07:24 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
if you really give a damn about the great mass of American citizens and if you understand who is driving "right to work" legislation

Amen brother.

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 09:06 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Did some buffoon actually suggest this?

Rather ironic for you of all people to accuse others of buffoonery.

But not surprising that you have only ad hominems and no facts.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 09:12 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I'm for gun rights, but not assault rifles sold to everyone.

Can you provide a good reason for preventing people from having harmless cosmetic features like pistol grips on a rifle?

If you want to violate gun rights, how can you be for gun rights?
oralloy

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 09:35 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
How is President Plump supposed to deal with "carbon pollution" when he doesn't believe in it?

I do not accept the premise that President Trump does not believe in carbon pollution.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 09:40 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
CREEP--the Committee to Re-Elect the President. (The clowns actually called it that.)

That's actually my first memory. My parents had guests over and I was allowed to stay up late. Some guy named Johnny Carson was on TV making jokes about CREEP, as the acronym had just become public knowledge.
0 Replies

Blickers

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 09:44 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
But in this case there were no crimes other than the trivial crime of the initial breakin.

People went to jail for that break-in, so it can't be called trivial.

Quote oralloy:
Quote:
It's not against the law for the President [Nixon] to exercise his constitutional authority and decide that someone should be fired or that an investigation should not be pursued.

You can fire someone because you don't think he's doing a good job, but if you fire someone whom it is in your power to fire in order to obstruct an investigation, that's obstruction of justice. And yes, it is a crime.
BillW

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 10:03 pm
@Blickers,
Especially when the person being investigated is the the person doing the firing, and that person is guilty; ie, Nixon hisself!
oralloy

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 10:15 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
People went to jail for that break-in, so it can't be called trivial.

That a witch hunt jails people over trivial offenses does not change that they are trivial offenses. It merely means that the witch hunters are really despicable people.

Blickers wrote:
if you fire someone whom it is in your power to fire in order to obstruct an investigation, that's obstruction of justice.

That is incorrect. If deciding that an investigation should not be pursued were obstruction of justice, every prosecutor and law enforcement officer in the nation would be guilty of obstruction, as they decide not to pursue cases all the time.