blatham

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 06:36 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKxREsDVAAALDLn.jpg

Which gains this response...
Quote:
Lee Fang‏Verified account @lhfang 6m6 minutes ago
More Lee Fang Retweeted Van Hipp
Lobbyist who owns a firm that reps Raytheon, Northrop Grumman

"Let us all turn to that wonderful passage in Psalms where Almighty God drops cluster bombs on the sex deviants."
blatham

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 06:41 pm
@nimh,
Quote:
But hey, Blatham agrees with you despite all that, so there's that.

A thing of no small value.
oralloy

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 06:42 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Regarding police violence and murder against blacks (and I suspect regarding a slew of other things), Oralloy is absolutely not of sound mind.

Feel free to try to point out any fact that I am wrong about.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 06:47 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The US government has announced the start of construction on eight prototype barriers for the border with Mexico, a campaign promise of President Donald Trump.
The Customs and Border Protection says four of the prototypes will be made from concrete, while the others are from "alternate or other materials".

Cool. Any websites explaining the differences between each of the eight proposals?
oralloy

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 06:49 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
For those who may not recall the brouhaha, Roy Moore was the Alabama circuit judge who put a plaque of the ten commandments on the wall of his courtroom, and who had prayer sessions before each day's business. Initially, he denied that the plaque was there as a religious symbol, but later changed his story when the ACLU's first law suit was dismissed on technical grounds. His antics were later shot down by the Alabama court system, which found religious displays and opening prayers to be unconstitutional.

Moore's a good man to have in the Senate, that's for sure.
0 Replies

nimh

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 06:55 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

But on the other hand, what can appear initially as randomness appears so because causal factors are hidden from view

Or not so hidden - I suggested a number of additional or alternative causal factors to the ones you are mentioning again, in the very post you're responding to.

Not that I don't believe the failure to elect America's first woman president caused significant disappointment -- that's obviously true, though I'm not sure many of those feeling it would have voted for John McCain as response (not that this was your argument either, I don't think).

Not that I don't think campaign operatives and political elites with a strategic agenda were busily unfolding their the machinations, and those had a real impact. I'm sure they did.

I'm not sure I would accord them as dominant a determining influence as you do, however. For one, because I imagine that the additional explanations I suggested played their own roles. Both the ways in which broader demographic/regional/cultural political trends (admittedly themselves helped along by active, long-term political strategies, though ones that go well beyond the kind of ratfucking you focused on this time) intersected with the way the 2008 campaign was fought by its contenders (not least through its racial component); and the institutional features of the campaign season (eg closed primaries locking "red" Dems into the "wrong" primary).

But also, and this was only my second point, because I do believe that we, who follow politics closely, tend to over-determine causes and effects, and in unwarranted self-confidence underestimate the contradictory and random elements of average voters' outlooks, motivations and decisions. Those often tend to cancel each other out, so when you focus only on the net result they're easy to ignore, but there's a lot of churn underneath that shows up when a number like this 12% emerges. More particularly, I feel that those who are focused overly on -- to use some loaded shorthand -- Beltway and NYC punditry tend to over-estimate the role of top-down politicking and machinations, vs the underlying tectonics of cultural undercurrents.
Setanta

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 07:02 pm
@nimh,
No, what you choose to characterize as my "rant" was not about Sanders' supporters who voted for Trump, it was about Sanders.

However, on that topic, his feeble and late and very few stumps were in venues in which Clinton did not need the help, and if 12% of his voters voted Trump, then he didn't do a hell of a lot of good. You might find this article from the Washington Post, dated September 5, 2016, of interest:

Bernie Sanders is finally campaigning for Hillary Clinton. But does she even need him?

Sanders only shows up two months before the election, he shows up where his help is not needed, and he basically gives his own stump speech. So I guess you get a TKO because he did shuffle and mumble around for Clinton a couple of times.

I posted that because of my disgust with Sanders. As I have consistently said that this thread is about Trump, not Clinton, my apologies to the members, and I promise to keep on topic.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 07:07 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
You guys don't seem to absorb how furious Sanders voters were after being cheated.

I used to pick and choose candidates based on their positions on guns, making a particular effort to support pro-gun Democrats.

But after the Democrats disenfranchised Michigan in the 2008 presidential primaries, and after liberals on a2k sneered at me and gloated over their outrageous attack against Michigan, I've voted for Republicans in every single race in every single election to this date, with only one single exception that isn't likely to be repeated.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 07:08 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
After Alabama, GOP anti-establishment wing declares all-out war in 2018

Yep. Time to primary these anti-Trump losers out of the Republican Party.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 07:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better and that's nothing to hope for.

It'll get better. The nation will rally around Trump when North Korea nukes a few American cities and Trump erases North Korea from existence.
oralloy

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 07:14 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Lobbyist who owns a firm that reps Raytheon, Northrop Grumman

Very fine companies indeed.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 08:30 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy sez:
Quote:
The nation will rally around Trump when North Korea nukes a few American cities and Trump erases North Korea from existence.
'

Highly unlikely. In the event that happens the nation will turn on Trump for playing "My balls are bigger than yours" with a penny ante autocrat of a penny ante nation, building the agro until it cost Americans their lives, instead of working to defuse the situation. He will be impeached and convicted bipartisanly and forced to retire in disgrace. Then sent up for life. Then we will send in David Boneranaz and the Seal Team to finish Kim Jong Un off in prime time.
MontereyJack

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 08:36 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy says:
Quote:

It's always amusing the excuses people come up with when they want to object to me always telling the truth.

It might be amusing if you told the truth. Since you don;t, though you always pat yourself on the back with that false claim, it's not that amusing
Lash

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 08:45 pm
@blatham,
Around here, it trumps everything.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 08:52 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy says re the wall:

Quote:
materials".

Cool. Any websites explaining the differences between each of the eight proposals

The polls consistently show that the American people massively opposeTrump's wall and favor pathways for the undocumented aliens in the country to either reside here legally or be able to get citizenship. Trump and his base are a small, minority segment of the American public.
MontereyJack

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 09:08 pm
@MontereyJack,
Poll" Majority of people think Trump is unfit tobe president

http://www.businessinsider.com/poll-trump-approval-rating-unfit-quinnipiac-tweet-twitter-2017-9