monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 12:39 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
You know it, and I know it. I'd venture to say almost everyone knows it.

I suspect someone gets away with stamping their foot and shouting their heads off when they can't think of anything to say. They think that still works outside their bubble and can't see anything wrong with it.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 12:42 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Apparently you aren't a fan of the lady.

Nobody is, mind you. She ain't particularly likable. But my points were not emotional. Somebody approving Bush's war of choice in Iraq has to be dumb. Just because every pundit back then thought it was the smart thing to do doesn't mean it was. Obama could understand that. Sanders could understand that. 90 percent of the world populqtion understood that. She couldn't.

Quote:
She was not alone in this. Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Scott Walker, John Kasich, Rick Perry, Rand Paul, Lindsay Graham, Ted Cruz and others were also defeated by the "weak" candidate Trump.

And you think of those guys as "smart"??? It was a clown car and the most gifted clown won the fight, that's all.
izzythepush

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 12:51 am
Quote:
US President Donald Trump's pick for Alabama's Senate race has lost the state's Republican primary to a firebrand Christian conservative.
Incumbent Luther Strange, 64, said he had called rival Roy Moore to concede the race.
"We wish him the best as he goes forward," he told supporters.
Mr Moore is a populist former chief justice in the state, who rode to the voting booth on a horse named Sassy, and brandished a gun at a rally.
The news is likely to rattle Washington Republicans, including President Trump, who had confidently pitted Mr Strange against the party's anti-establishment wing.
Mr Trump and Vice-President Mike Pence have both appeared with Mr Strange at rallies, while a political group linked to top Senate Republican Mitch McConnell is said to have spent nearly $9m (£6.7m) on his behalf.
The Senate seat was held by Jeff Sessions until February, when Mr Trump picked him to serve as US attorney general.
The president made his allegiance clear on 24 September, tweeting: "It was great being with Luther Strange last night in Alabama. What great people, what a crowd! Vote Luther on Tuesday."
But within minutes of the result, he had thrown his weight behind the winning Republican candidate.
Mr Moore, 70, is best known for losing his position as the state's top judge twice. The first time, he had flouted a court order to remove a Ten Commandments monument from the courthouse.
When the people of Alabama elected him to the court again, he was suspended a second time for defying the US Supreme Court's 2015 ruling legalising gay marriage.
Alabama has not elected a Democrat to the Senate in a quarter of a century, so Mr Moore will be expected to beat his Democratic rival Doug Jones when they face off in a vote on 12 December.
Mr Moore had threatened to upend the Republican Party if he won the nomination and branded his opponent an "establishment lackey".
Mr Moore, a bible-quoting evangelical, drew support from Christian conservative Sarah Palin - and recently-sacked White House chief strategist Steve Bannon.
Mr Bannon, the architect of President Trump's "America First" agenda, claimed on Monday that Republican elites think Alabama voters are just "a pack of morons" who will vote as they are instructed to.
"You're going to see in state after state people that follow the model of Judge Roy Moore, that do not need to raise money from the elites," he declared at Mr Moore's victory party.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41409983
0 Replies

Real Music

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 01:08 am
@Builder,
Why are you debating me? Do we have some type of disagreement? I support Kaepernick's protest. I support Kaepernick's cause. I think you must be mistaking me for Oralloy.
izzythepush

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 01:08 am
Quote:
The parents of Otto Warmbier have shared horrific details of his condition when he arrived home from North Korea.
Fred and Cindy Warmbier told Fox and Friends that the North Koreans were "terrorists" who had "systematically tortured" their son.
The US student was jailed in Pyongyang in 2016 for stealing a hotel sign.
He was released on medical grounds in June this year but arrived home seriously ill and died days later.
North Korea has always denied mistreating Mr Warmbier. They say he contracted botulism while in prison but US doctors found no trace of this.
In their first interview since his death, they told Fox news that they "felt it was time to tell the truth about the condition that Otto was in".
US doctors had previously described him as being in a state of "unresponsive wakefulness", but the Warmbiers said calling this a coma was "unfair".
Mr Warmbier said when they saw his son he was "moving around, and jerking violently, making these howling and inhuman sounds".
His head was shaved, he was blind and deaf, his arms and legs were "totally deformed" and he had a huge scar on his foot, he said. It "looked like someone had taken a pair of pliers and rearranged his bottom teeth".
"Otto was systematically tortured and intentionally injured by Kim and his regime. This was no accident," said Mr Warmbier.
He also said his son had been abandoned by his family, his country and the world and that the government had given them no information about his death.
Mrs Warmbier said North Korea sent him home because "they didn't want him to die on their soil".
The family refused a post-mortem examination because they thought he had suffered enough and "I wasn't going to let him out of my sight," she said.
She also pleaded with people not to go to North Korea, saying it was "playing into" Pyongyang's propaganda. US citizens are now banned from travelling to North Korea.
However, a local newspaper in the US has disputed the allegations made by the Warmbiers.
The Cincinnati Enquirer said it had obtained a copy of a coroner's report on Otto Warmbier, based on an external examination, which revealed several small scars but nothing which indicated torture.
The paper quoted the Hamilton County coroner as saying Mr Warmbier's teeth were "natural and in good repair" and that he appeared to have died from brain damage caused by a lack of oxygen.
US President Donald Trump, who is known to watch Fox and Friends, tweeted that it had been "a great interview", and that "Otto was tortured beyond belief by North Korea".
His comment is likely to stoke the escalating tensions between North Korea and the US, which have exchanged allegations and threats at an unprecedented rate in recent weeks.
The leaders of both countries have directly threatened the other with nuclear annihilation. The international community is appealing for all incendiary rhetoric to be toned down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41409878

One has to question the timing of all of this. Why now? Why Fox? Why does the local paper dispute allegations? And why not have a post mortem to provide some hard facts?

This feels very much like the run up to the war in Iraq where long forgotten/ignored stories about Saddam Hussein suddenly came bubbling to the surface.
Builder

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 01:09 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
And you think of those guys as "smart"??? It was a clown car and the most gifted clown won the fight, that's all.

And this is the shining light of democracy, they want to spread around the planet?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 01:10 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

And of course Hillary didn't lose. She got almost three million more votes than Trump. The poison pill the Founding Fathers left us in the Constitution in the form of the Electoral College is what did her in, not any appeal on Trump;s part.

In reality, there isn't one single cause explaining her defeat, but a multitude.

What's important IMO is to try and understand what she or the dems could have done better. In other words, what the dems did wrong. That's important because they'll be other presidential elections (with an electoral college) and it's desirable to win them.

IMNSHO, nominating her was a key mistake. Sanders had more fighting energy, drew larger crowds, was a man of 'average' wealth and not a millionaire, had a better legislative record, etc. To me this was glaringly obvious.
0 Replies

Builder

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 01:12 am
@Real Music,
Quote:
Why are you debating me? Do we have some type of disagreement?

Not at all. I'm adding my opinion to the conversation.

Is that a problem for you?
izzythepush

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 01:14 am
@Real Music,
Builder likes picking fights with everyone who doesn't share his bizarre conspiracy theories.
0 Replies

Real Music

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 01:16 am
@Builder,
I have no problem with debates, conversations, or disagreements.
Builder

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 01:20 am
@Real Music,
No problem.

And our mate Issy is only here to score brownie points with the town bikes.

Pay him no mind.
izzythepush

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 01:28 am
@Builder,
I'm not your mate, I pick my friends carefully, and deranged Trump supporters don't figure.

I speak my mind, and like most nutjobs you don't like that, just like you don't like the truth.
izzythepush

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 01:32 am
Quote:
The US government has announced the start of construction on eight prototype barriers for the border with Mexico, a campaign promise of President Donald Trump.
The Customs and Border Protection says four of the prototypes will be made from concrete, while the others are from "alternate or other materials".
Its plan is to try out several sections of wall near San Diego.
Mr Trump had promised to build a "big beautiful wall" between the countries.
With a heavy federal and local law enforcement presence, workers have broken ground in an area surrounded by chain link fencing at Otay Mesa, one of three ports of entry in the San Diego-Tijuana metropolitan region.
The prototypes will be up to 30ft (9m) high and 30ft long and are expected to be completed within 30 days.
Officials will then spend up to three months evaluating the designs for their effectiveness, including gauging their resistance to penetration with small hand tools.
Each wall will cost up to $450,000 (£334,000) and will be paid for by federal funds which have already been sanctioned. There is, however, no agreement on the initial $1.5bn (£1.11bn) Mr Trump has requested from Congress to start construction of the final wall.
"We are committed to securing our border and that includes constructing border walls," said Ronald Vitiello, acting deputy commissioner of the Customs and Border Protection agency.
"Our multi-pronged strategy to ensure the safety and security of the American people includes barriers, infrastructure, technology and people."
Four companies have been chosen to build the prototypes but the final wall is likely to be based on an amalgamation of design features.
The border agency says the prototypes "will inform future design standards which will likely continue to evolve to meet the US Border Patrol's requirements".
Mr Trump has said some sections of the wall could be transparent so that people on the US side cannot be hit by bags of drugs being tossed over from Mexico. He has also suggested that parts of the wall could be covered in solar panels.
But California's attorney general is attempting to block the construction of a border wall. A lawsuit filed in a federal district court in San Diego last week argues that the government has overstepped its authority by waiving environmental reviews and other laws.
During his campaign, Mr Trump insisted that Mexico would pay for the structure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41407194
Builder

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 01:50 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I pick my friends carefully, and deranged Trump supporters don't figure.

Are you still pretending you've got friends here?

I don't like Trump at all.

I can see your attention span is still limited to the last pint you poured.
Setanta

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 02:35 am
For those who may not recall the brouhaha, Roy Moore was the Alabama circuit judge who put a plaque of the ten commandments on the wall of his courtroom, and who had prayer sessions before each day's business. Initially, he denied that the plaque was there as a religious symbol, but later changed his story when the ACLU's first law suit was dismissed on technical grounds. His antics were later shot down by the Alabama court system, which found religious displays and opening prayers to be unconstitutional.

Some choice they had in the Alabama Republican primary--President Plump's hand-picked replacement for Sessions, or the state's most flamboyant fundamentalist preacher . . . er, politician. Contrary to the bigotry expressed outside the United Stares, southerners are no more likely to be religious nut-bags than is the case outside the region. Anyone who has spent time in the Bible Belt of the Midwest or the Great Plains will know this.
izzythepush

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 02:49 am
@Builder,
The only one doing the pretending is you. You like to pretend you don't support Trump but all evidence points to the contrary.

It would take more than a pint for me to start believing the deranged conspiracy nonsense you spout, considerably more.
Builder

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 03:03 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
but all evidence points to the contrary.

All evidence? I'm sure you've got tomes of that to share with us, right?
hightor

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 03:39 am
@Lash,
Quote:
A primer on the term limousine liberal for know-it-alls who don't know so much:

Gee, thanks. But you haven't told me anything I didn't already know, and I hope your comment is not directed at me — nor do I fit the description of a "limousine liberal".

I recall Procaccino and his sort of politics very well and remember his use of the term. It's misleading to say it was a Democrat vs Republican context; in a city without a strong GOP the conservative wing of the Democratic Party functioned much the way the Tea Party would like to pretend it does today — but "Porkaccino" didn't have the Koch brothers funding his campaign. Of course the angry voters could always find some minor party to represent them, like the "Taxpayer's Party" perennially fronted by Vito Batista.

Anyway, the term was clearly coined to reflect — and stoke — envy and resentment. Now it's more of a petty insult, as if there's something wrong with a wealthy person actively supporting social change. It's now often used against the Hollywood types the GOP finds so reprehensible.
Quote:
These self-righteous folk couldn’t care less, Procaccino proclaimed, about the “small shopkeeper, the homeowner. . . . They preach the politics of confrontation and condone violent upheaval.”

To make that charge against John Lindsay is ridiculous. Somebody had to buck the entrenched power of Tammany Hall and work to secure the civil rights and promote the economic security of the city's minority population. Lindsay was well-respected by the Hispanic, black, and mainstream liberal portion of the Democratic electorate.
Quote:
And, do a little reading, will you, before pontificating and accusing? You seem Trumpish.

Trump doesn't "pontificate".

Lash

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 04:01 am
@hightor,
It was directed at the person who claimed that the term was nothing but a right wing ax against liberals; therefore, obviously a brilliant clue that I must be a right wing operative, probably posting from Kiev. Stupid and cowardly and, as we see, based on ignorance.

Anyway, interesting little story.

There may be a shade of difference between ignorant pontificating and blurting out wrong ****. I prefer the blurting. At least it's over quicker. If that small distinction was important enough for your attention, it colors in your character nicely.

Trump would be a fabulous pontificator, I am certain, if he could string three or four related sentences together, but alas, we'll never know.

hightor

Wed 27 Sep, 2017 04:35 am
@Lash,
Quote:
It was directed at the person who claimed that the term was nothing but a right wing ax against liberals...

Over the past fifty years the use of the term has changed but it's always been used by the right against the left. So it is a bit unusual to see it used by the "left" — Sanders supporters — against establishment DNC types, pragmatic moderates, and anyone else who doesn't buy the idealist line. It's always better to conduct arguments without using such loaded terms. And its even worse to think that way, as Dr. Johnson pointed out.