monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 03:42 am
@izzythepush,
Get some rest, man.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 05:17 am
To return to the topic of the thread, the most incredible thing about this is that the big baby in the White House thinks that he is so significant in people's lives that he can organize a boycott of football on a whim. Just when ya think the fat boy can't get no dumber . . .
blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 06:41 am
@BillW,
Quote:
To say that someone is just spouting off in a tantrum is to suggest that he's not intentional about the harm he's doing and about the people he's attacking. I think he's very intentional about it."
Oh yes.
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 06:43 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

As far as I can remember, the American audience and the players have always stood during the national anthem. So, I can't really say for sure when that tradition actually started.

Your memory stinks then. Football players have only been standing in the NFL since 2009...because the DoD PAYS the NFL MILLIONS of dollars to do the patriotic displays as a recruitment tool.

So not really tradition as much as a marketing tool
blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 06:58 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Football players have only been standing in the NFL since 2009...because the DoD PAYS the NFL MILLIONS of dollars to do the patriotic displays as a recruitment tool.
Can you give us a citation on this?
Walter Hinteler

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 07:07 am
@blatham,
snopes for instance.
blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 07:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I love you.
oristarA

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 07:35 am
@blatham,

How gay it sounds.
blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 07:44 am
Nigel Farage to Campaign for Roy Moore in Alabama Senate Race
If you're wondering WTF this right wing douchebag from Britain is up to here, the clue comes in the second graph:
Quote:
Mr. Farage’s endorsement of Roy Moore, a former State Supreme Court justice who leads in the polls before the election on Tuesday, lines up another anti-establishment voice in opposition to Mr. Trump. He plans to speak at a rally for Mr. Moore that will also include Stephen K. Bannon, the former chief strategist to Mr. Trump.

As we've know for many months, Breitbart is active in Britain and Europe and is expanding their operations there for the purpose of organizing and aiding a movement of far right white nationalist politics. Farange and Bannon/Mercer are playing the same game. And given Bannon's explicit brags about his chops as a propagandist, we understand fairly well how this will play out.

Probably the most important aspect to face here is that these people are setting up, or trying to set up, an ideological and political ethos which has ethnic cleansing as it's primary goal.
izzythepush

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 07:46 am
@blatham,
Farage has been working for Fox for a while. One good thing about Brexit is he won't be an MEP for much longer.
blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 07:46 am
@oristarA,
Well, I do confess that neither Walter nor I go around grabbing women's pussies.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 07:56 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Farage has been working for Fox for a while.
I did not know that. But I am completely unsurprised. No individual, I believe, has had a more malign influence on western politics and civic life over the last few decades than Rupert Murdoch.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:00 am
@blatham,
And Farage’s appearance in Fairhope, Alabama, tonight was brokered in part by a former aide, Raheem Kassam, who now works in the US for Breitbart,
izzythepush

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:01 am
@blatham,
Paul Dacre could probably give him a run for his money, at least over here.
blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:05 am
Draining the swamp notes from all over.
Quote:
After years as a sleepy federal backwater, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission became one of Wall Street’s most aggressive watchdogs during the Barack Obama administration.

Now the agency — which is responsible for policing a broad swath of markets and financial machinery, from trading in commodities to digital currencies to the complex derivatives that helped torpedo the financial system in 2008 — is shifting its law enforcement strategy: It will increasingly look to banks and other financial institutions to come clean on their own about misconduct and problems in the market.
NYT
How stupid does a person have to be to have imagined that Trump and his administration had ANY desire or intention to reduce the power and the influence of the banking/finance sector? Or any corporate entity (other than renewable energy)?
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Good data, Walter. I love you even more now.
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:09 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump on Sunday issued a new order banning almost all travel to the United States from seven countries, including most of the nations covered by his original travel ban, citing threats to national security posed by letting their citizens into the country.

Starting next month, most citizens of Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Chad and North Korea will be indefinitely banned from entering the United States, Mr. Trump said in a proclamation released Sunday night. Citizens of Iraq and some groups of people in Venezuela who seek to visit the United States will face restrictions or heightened scrutiny.

Mr. Trump’s original travel ban, which caused chaos at airports earlier this year and set off a furious legal challenge to the president’s authority, expired on Sunday even as the Supreme Court is set to hear arguments about its constitutionality on Oct. 10. The new bans will take effect Oct. 18.

“As president, I must act to protect the security and interests of the United States and its people,” Mr. Trump said in the proclamation, which White House officials said had the same force as an executive order. He added that the restrictions will remain in effect until the governments of the affected nations “satisfactorily address the identified inadequacies.”

NYT
blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:11 am
@izzythepush,
I will have to read up on Dacre. Somehow, the character has escaped my attention.
0 Replies

cameronleon

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:21 am
Breaking the current discussion on Farage, Raheem Kassam, Paul Dacre...

It is not clear why the playing of the National Anthem in an event that is not official or involving governmental matters and similar,

But surely is a demonstration of patriotism and love for the country and the symbols of the nation which represent its history and development.

I don't agree with the behavior of using those symbols in an event that is not official -when is related to governmental event- as a way to protest any social issue.

People go to watch a game. People don't go to the stadium to agree or disagree about social issues,

I think that these players are causing chaos only, and their behavior is unacceptable, Their attitude is a clear demonstration of ignorance and vulgarity when they show disrespect for what is a national symbol.

Best is to stop playing the National Anthem, best is banning the use of the American flag in NFL games.

In that way, they must start using other way to demonstrate their frustration about social issues without disrespecting the American flag and the National Anthem.

After all, it's only a game, and they are players only, they get paid for playing in the stadium, not so for making the ridiculous trying to change the American culture with such a childish behavior.
oralloy

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:27 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
He was being stalked by a grown man name George Zimmerman at night.

When criminals case houses, they should maybe expect the neighborhood watch to take notice of their suspicious behavior.

Real Music wrote:
George Zimmerman was instructed by the police dispatch not to follow Treyvon and that the police will come out and take care of everything. Zimmerman ignored those instructions of the police dispatcher. Zimmerman continued to stalk the real victim (Treyvon Martin).

That is incorrect. First, Mr. Zimmerman wasn't instructed not to follow. He was merely advised that it was a bad idea.

And more importantly, upon receiving that advice, Mr. Zimmerman stopped pursuing Trayvon.

Real Music wrote:
After stalking Treyvon, George Zimmerman decided to take upon himself to confront Treyvon.

This as well is incorrect. Mr. Zimmerman had stopped his pursuit upon being advised that it wasn't a good idea. Trayvon then doubled back to Mr. Zimmerman and attempted to beat him to death.

Real Music wrote:
Remember that Treyvon had done nothing wrong.

Attempting to beat someone to death counts as doing something wrong.

Real Music wrote:
Treyvon was minding his own business walking back home with a bag of skittles.

Attempting to beat the local neighborhood watch captain to death is hardly minding one's own business.

Real Music wrote:
Remember that George Zimmerman had been instructed to stay away, not to confront Treyvon, and to let police take care of the everything.

Not instructed. Merely advised that pursuit was a bad idea. Advice that he took.

Real Music wrote:
Remember that George Zimmerman initiated the confrontation.

No. Trayvon initiated the confrontation when he doubled back and attempted to beat Mr. Zimmerman to death.

Real Music wrote:
Remember, if anyone felt threaten for their personal safety, it would be the 17 year teenager being stalked by a grown man at night.

If Trayvon had felt threatened, he could have simply continued on his way and not doubled back to where Mr. Zimmerman had stopped his pursuit.

Real Music wrote:
Remember that the victim (Treyvon Martin) was unarmed.

People have the right to not be beaten to death by unarmed attackers.

Real Music wrote:
I also seem to remember that the police took Zimmerman word to what happen as being factual.

Well there is the small matter of the evidence backing Mr. Zimmerman's version of events.

Real Music wrote:
I seem to remember the police did not arrest Zimmerman until the next day due only to public pressure.

He was taken in for questioning in handcuffs that night. I'm not sure if that constitutes an arrest.

If BLM thugs pressure the police to take unwarranted measures against innocent people, that shows them as a malign force in America.

Real Music wrote:
During the unnecessary confrontation initiated by the stalker George Zimmerman resulted in the death of Treyvon Martin.

Trayvon initiated the confrontation when he doubled back and attempted to beat Mr. Zimmerman to death.

Real Music wrote:
Since Treyvon Martin is DEAD, we will never get to hear his version of what happen that night.

Why not look at the evidence instead?
0 Replies