monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

glitterbag

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 03:35 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Quote:
Trump routinely excoriated his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton for using a personal email account to handle government business when she was secretary of state.

No. A "personal email account" was not the issue at all. Hillary actually set up her own private server, knowingly in violation of State Department rules, deleted emails from it without any government supervision, and God only knows how many foreign enemies hacked into her system.

None, according to the FBI
blatham

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 03:42 pm
Very good point by Yglesias here
Quote:
Matthew Yglesias‏Verified account @mattyglesias 1h1 hour ago
Underrated toxic element of Trump's war on football is the entrenching of the notion that the American flag is about "the troops."

The fundamental reason I so detest brainless nationalistic fervor is because it so commonly (and so easily) shifts into this sort of militaristic jingoism.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 03:43 pm
@glitterbag,
Not to mention that the Trump people are refusing to answer questions about the server being used.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 03:51 pm
Quote:
This Week‏Verified account
@ThisWeekABC
Sec. Mnuchin to @MarthaRaddatz: "It's not about free speech." NFL players "can do free speech on their own time." http://abcn.ws/2wK5bND

Football stadium as cotton plantation. Pickers are owned. Get back to work, niggers.
blatham

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 03:55 pm
Anyone not on twitter will presently have no idea at all of how many athletes in all sorts of sports are now observing the national anthem on one knee or who are staying in their locker rooms while the anthem is being played. Not to mention how many team owners are sending out letters of support to their players when they do so. It's really quite amazing.
blatham

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 03:56 pm
This. Is. It.
Quote:
ACLU‏Verified account @ACLU 6h6 hours ago
Don't confuse #TakeAKnee for disrespect. Respect and love for America doesn't require blindness to its failures.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 03:58 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
who are staying in their locker rooms while the anthem is being played.

sometimes it really is best to stay with tradition (staying in the locker room)
blatham

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 04:01 pm
This tweet...
Quote:
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
If NFL fans refuse to go to games until players stop disrespecting our Flag & Country, you will see change take place fast. Fire or suspend!
3:44 AM - 24 Sep 2017

gains this reply...
Quote:
Greg Sargent‏Verified account @ThePlumLineGS 10h10 hours ago
Greg Sargent Retweeted Donald J. Trump
Translation: Hey chumps who thought they voted for an "economic populist," look over there while we gut safety net and cut taxes on rich!
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 04:04 pm
@ehBeth,
I really don't perceive a better/not as good strategy in this, beth. I'm delighted to see any/every version of these peaceful public reminders.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 04:07 pm
Margaret Sullivan. If you don't follow her, begin. Your brain will thank you.
Quote:
What’s the state of free speech in America?

Sanford Ungar, who teaches about it at Harvard and Georgetown, has a simple, depressing answer.

“It’s a mess,” he says.

It’s not just the problems on college campuses where high-profile speakers haven’t been allowed to talk. It’s not just what happened in Charlottesville, where a counterprotester was run over and killed. It’s not just President Trump’s insistent call for the firings or suspensions of NFL players who take a knee during the national anthem to protest police violence.

An insidious problem also is developing in dozens of states where legislatures are considering — and sometimes approving — new laws that restrict free speech.

“They are criminalizing things that are pretty routine,” Ungar told me. “Much of the activism of the Vietnam and civil rights era would be completely illegal” under the new laws...
WP
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 04:09 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Last I heard, the FBI were unable to determine whether or not any hackers had breached Hillary's email server because it had been so lacking in security that any hackers could easily have left no traces.
blatham

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 04:40 pm
Quote:
Trump-allied nonprofit tells supporters: Turn off the NFL
A nonprofit group run by allies of President Trump launched a Facebook ad Sunday aimed at millions of people across the country that urges them to stand with the president by turning off National Football League games.

“Rather than watch the NFL disrespect our country,” the ad reads, "turn on something that honors the great men and women who make sacrifices to protect our freedom and what our Great American Flag stands for.”

Notice once again the conflation of the flag with the military (as opposed to, say, firemen, teachers, nurses, doctors, social workers, community organizers, volunteers handing out clean needles, artists, musicians, etc etc etc. It's the most brain-dead and dangerous form of jingoism. But take a look at this notion as well...
Quote:
“The right to free speech comes with great responsibility and a duty to honor what is sacred,” Erin Montgomery, a spokeswoman for the group, said in a statement.
WP

When anybody insists that a thing is "sacred", they are insisting that YOU and EVERYBODY ELSE must behave and think in very tightly constrained ways about that thing. You are not allowed to even reflect upon, and certainly you are not permitted to criticize or alter that thing (ask Tindale). The etymology of "sacred" descends from "holy" - that is, it considered to have a unique and inviolable status which derives from a real connection with God or godliness. That's the power of the term and that's the notion behind it and that's the way it is commonly used to coerce the community into acting and thinking in such constrained ways (which, quite conveniently, support existing structures of power and dominance).

When someone tells you a thing is sacred, the proper civic response is to smile and in a light-hearted manner give them licence to go **** themselves.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 04:56 pm
@oralloy,
You are lying, repeatedly, flagrantly, deliberately.. As well as committing outrageous defamation of character and unconscionable racist bullshit.
oralloy

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 05:06 pm
@MontereyJack,
Nope. You cannot point out a single untrue thing that I've said.
MontereyJack

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 05:59 pm
@oralloy,
Have done so repeatedly. Most recently, your rep eated factfree contentions that the kneelers are thugswho are doing it reallybecause they want to murder police officers. That's 100% pure horseshit. With ZERO evidence presented to back it up.
oralloy

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 06:06 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Have done so repeatedly.

No you haven't. You're just blustering to distract from your inability to back up your position with facts.

MontereyJack wrote:
Most recently, your repeated factfree contentions that the kneelers are thugs are doing it realyl obecause they want to murder police officers. That's 100% pure horseshit.

Those BLM thugs are demanding that police officers be prevented from firing in self defense when black people try to murder them, and demanding that police officers who do defend themselves from such murder attempts are punished harshly for it.

The only possible reason for these thugs to want police officers to be unable to defend themselves from murderers is because they want the murders to succeed.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 06:37 pm
@MontereyJack,
Re: oralloy (Post 6509471)

He's a much nicer person when you can't hear the things he says. Take my own case as an example. I have had him on ignore for more than a year and, now, I love the man and I want to have his babies.

Wouldn't you rather be me?
oralloy

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 07:01 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
He's a much nicer person when you can't hear the things he says. Take my own case as an example. I have had him on ignore for more than a year

Typical leftist extremist. You can't back up your demented ideology with facts of your own, so you want to shut out everyone else who posts facts.

And just as a reminder, you put me on ignore because I was posting original thoughts and your tactic of pointing to other people and saying "I think what they think" was failing you. The longer our conversation continued, the more obvious it was becoming to everyone that you aren't capable of thinking for yourself. To cover up your intellectual shortcomings you spouted some really hideous name-calling at me and then used that as an excuse for putting me on ignore.

Intellectual cowardice at its very best (or very worst). The hypocrisy really makes a mockery of you when you occasionally pretend to be against name-calling.

blatham wrote:
I love the man and I want to have his babies.

2009 is calling on line 2. They want their idioms back.
0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 07:41 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
These BLM scumbags are protesting for the right of black people to murder police officers. It is perfectly reasonable to condemn them for it.
I disagree with your assessment of what the Black Lives Matter movement is about. I believe the Black Lives Matter movement is a very worthy important cause. The movement helped put a spotlight on an important issue that needed to be addressed. Many people don't understand the movement and how it all got started. I am not certain if you understand the Black Lives Movement (BLM). Here is a youtube video of the three black women who founded and started the Black Lives Matter movemet. There names are Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, and Opal Tometi. For anyone who wants to know the context of the movement and how it all got started, here is a youtube video of the actual founders of the movement in their own words.

In The Summer of 2013,
#BLACKLIVESMATTER Went Viral
A Movement was born

For anyone who wants to read more about the history and the origin of #BLACKLIVESMOVEMENT in much more details, click on the link below.
https://stories.californiasunday.com/2015-03-01/black-lives-matter/
glitterbag

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 07:46 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

Last I heard, the FBI were unable to determine whether or not any hackers had breached Hillary's email server because it had been so lacking in security that any hackers could easily have left no traces.

That's because you have lousy sources. You seem to be so blinded by some white supremist pseudo macho persona, rational fact finding is far beyond your skill level. Keep up the good work, but try not to make the rest of our country look like a raving bunch of yahoo lunatics who all went to school in Texas.