monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Kolyo

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 09:51 am
@BillW,

If your statements are true, they can be used as premises in another argument.

You believe:
1) if you support a white supremacist, you are one
2) Trump is a white supremacist

We know:
3) one third of Americans support Trump (that's a fact)

We may conclude from the facts and from your beliefs that a third of Americans are white supremacists. They support someone who according to you is a white supremacist, and so, also according to you, this makes them white supremacists as well.

Is it ridiculous to claim a third of Americans are white supremacists? Of course it is. It's also ridiculous to hold beliefs from which that claim follows.
Lash

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 10:01 am
@maporsche,
Happiness can be won by being true to yourself and what you believe. I am happy that I still have the freedom to express my ideas, and to actively seek solutions to what I consider to be serious problems in my world.

I exercise those rights, and I'm grateful for the ability to do it.

I'm very pissed at the people responsible for crapping up my country, and when someone discounts my opinions, I'm happy to respond.

So, happy! đŸ˜€

You're right about perspective. When 20 / 20 people gathered talking all have the same perspective, I like sharing a different one. Especially if I think it's a better one.

I'm just not going to give up when we're so close.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 10:12 am
Thinking about the difference between NFL fans and NASCAR fans the last couple of days as a result of things I've been seeing on my FB page/s.

poking around

found this

Quote:
NASCAR's own market-research data shows that its "bread-and-butter fan base is about 60 percent male and 80 percent white, mostly from the Southern and Midwestern states."

https://www.thoughtco.com/history-of-african-americans-in-nascar-2471794

Quote:
African-Americans comprise just 2 percent of NASCAR's fan base in the late 2010s.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2017/08/19/confederate-flag-still-important-symbol-nascar-fans/583320001/

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/nascar-support-trump-others-sports/2017/04/23/id/785874/

Quote:
President Donald Trump has oft-referred to "big league" in his politics <snip> but the sports world is not returning a love of the president, according to a HBO Real Sports/Marist poll.

"The Resistance isn't just about politics," Politicus USA's Jason Easley wrote in review of the poll results.

"Resistance is spreading to the sports world, as pretty soon there will be nowhere in sporting America outside of a NASCAR race that welcome the presence of Donald J. Trump."

The poll broke down President Trump's approval by sport fans as follows:

NASCAR: 38 percent unfavorable, 50 percent favorable.
Hockey: 50-42.
Baseball: 51-39.
Football: 53-37.
Tennis: 61-32.
Basketball: 62-28.

Sports fans are supportive of Obamacare, which President Trump has vowed to repeal and replace, despite his failure to do so in Congress to date.

"Looking at some of the hot-button issues facing the nation, at least a majority of sports fans think Congress should let the Affordable Care Act stand as it is or expand it so that it does more," the Marist poll wrote April 18. "

I knew that NASCAR fans tend to be supporters of #45 but I guess I didn't follow the thought process through. Good thing others are doing the research Smile
hightor

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 10:15 am
@Lash,
Quote:
While Americans take risks for justice.

Explain?
Quote:
Awesome moves are being made today.

Describe?
Quote:
Go to brunch and enjoy your mimosa.

I'm laughing because you seem to believe that hurling petty insults at people you know nothing about is part of your big "revolution". I'd be a lot more sympathetic to your point of view if you could even begin to explain how this "revolution" is going to be successfully implemented. For instance, you keep talking up this "single payer" health insurance program. Okay, great — I'd love to see it too. But really, how are you going to deal with the massive power and reach of the insurance industry? How does 15% of the electorate manage to win a national election, let alone begin to dismantle a huge corporate presence which employs millions of people? Do you really think people are going to gladly pay higher taxes to fully fund a national health insurance program?
ehBeth

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 10:21 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:
Is it ridiculous to claim a third of Americans are white supremacists? Of course it is.

I wouldn't be surprised if it at least 20 - 25% of white Americans are white supremacists.

Just watched a video a friend made when he was at a dance in Floyd, Virginia last night. Looks like the numbers would be higher there. Sad
0 Replies

BillW

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 10:22 am
@Kolyo,
The constructs of my statement are true and the probability that 1/3 of Americans are white supremacist is true. Remember, only you can prevent forest fires!
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 10:38 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
It looks like hundreds of men will kneel or sit tomorrow during the national anthem.

What took them so long?

Kaepernick was hanging out there alone for a long time.

If these thugs want to disrespect the flag because no one will let them murder police officers, maybe the police should forget to show up the next time they call 911.
oralloy

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 10:39 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
Colin Kaepernick continues to help the kids of Camp Taylor
Jun 23, 2013

That'll be a great comfort to all the murdered police officers whose deaths this scumbag supports.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 10:40 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
They may all kneel tomorrow. An incredible repudiation of Trump.

Supporting the murder of police officers simply because Trump opposes the murder of police officers isn't much of a repudiation.

Lash wrote:
Meanwhile, Trump is sending out serious threats to blow up countries and kill people.

It's his job to defend us from evil countries that seek to destroy us.

Lash wrote:
Does this actually violate our speech laws?
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/697452001/

No.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 10:41 am
@oralloy,
How are any of these people "disrespecting" the flag? Seems to me that the continued existence of serious racial injustice and race-based economic disparity "disrespects" the country itself.
oralloy

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 10:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Two-thirds of Americans think Trump is dividing the country — including a fifth of his supporters
WaPo

Democrats always blame other people for the fact that they are full of hate.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 10:44 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
How are any of these people "disrespecting" the flag?

They are refusing to salute the flag properly during the national anthem.

hightor wrote:
Seems to me that the continued existence of serious racial injustice and race-based economic disparity "disrespects" the country itself.

These people are protesting for the right of black people to murder police officers. That isn't serious racial injustice.
oralloy

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 10:46 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Oralloy gets the prize for worst logical reasoning go far this year. Talk about conclusion not logically deducible from initial conditions.
Quote:

MontereyJack wrote:
but I think he's protesting what seem to be the "right" that seems to be given to police officers by our court system to murder innocent black citizens.
Oralloy responds:
As I suspected then. He's a freak who wants blacks to be able to murder police officers with impunity.

My logic is fine. These BLM scumbags are protesting for the right of black people to murder police officers. It is perfectly reasonable to condemn them for it.
oralloy

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 10:47 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Hillary Clinton practically promised to escalate us to boots on the ground in Syria. She's more hawkish than Trump, more neocon than Bush.

There is much that I disagree with Hillary about. But this particular policy of hers was a good thing. It is good when America stands up and does the right thing.

Lash wrote:
She was just better at hiding it with more acceptable language, although she did enjoy bringing young black men to heel, those little super-predators.

This is another thing that Hillary was right about. Those criminal scumbags were shooting up our cities and needed to be stopped.
oralloy

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 10:49 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft Condemns Donald Trump In Bold Statement After President’s Rant

I'm surprised he was able to take enough time off from all his cheating to make a statement.

Maybe the police should forget to show up the next time he needs to call 911.
Below viewing threshold (view)
MontereyJack

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 11:19 am
@oralloy,
Kraft and Tom Brady were big Trump fans. Looks like they've come to their senses.

Stevie Wonder knelt in solidarity in concert. Looks like it's now spread to major league baseball, as well as basketball and football.
MontereyJack

Sun 24 Sep, 2017 11:38 am
@Lash,
All the disgruntled Bernie supporters who stayed home in November gave us Donald Trump, who is almost infinitely worse. You should have learned that lesson in 2000 with Ralph Nader, who gave us W. Bush. There IS a difference.