monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 05:09 am
Donald Trump, speaking at the UN, goes full Groucho
“In Guinea and Nigeria you fought a horrifying Ebola outbreak,” he said. “Nambia’s health system is increasingly self-sufficient.”

What a source of national pride, this man.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 05:13 am
@blatham,
It's on BBC4 this Monday. Ten parts I've put it on the planner.
blatham

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 05:23 am
@izzythepush,
You're a dependable fellow.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 05:23 am
@BillW,
That was my bet!! March!

I think if Mueller would stick to financial holdings / conflicts of interest, and not waste time on Russia, he'd have the charges sewn up.

Then we can be horrified at what an actual Republican can steamroll through with a majority army of heartless, detached Republicans... yay, America!
oralloy

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 05:50 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Remember kids, this thread is not about Clinton, regardless of the direction in which the right-wing operatives would like to take it.

Hillary is discussed because Hilary is in the news, not because of any supposed plot on the right to talk about her.

Setanta wrote:
I find it hilarious that rightwingnuts whine and allege that people on the left call anyone who disagrees with them a Nazi.

Dismissing the left when they resort to calling people Nazis for disagreeing with them is hardly whining.

Setanta wrote:
I mean, really, just because someone wears a swastika, gives a straight arm salute or carries a Nazi flag, that doesn't mean they're a bad person. Rolling Eyes

Just because there are actual Nazis out there doesn't justify the left calling everyone who disagrees with them a Nazi.

Setanta wrote:
But hey, they're good people--President Plump told us they are!

And here is one more case of liberals calling people Nazis merely for disagreeing with them. In this case people are being called Nazis because they stand up to the left's anti-south bigotry.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 05:52 am
@BillW,
BillW wrote:
I don't think it matters a whole lot because I believe Mueller is going after a RICO charge. He won't be around after Feb/Mar.

You have a couple major hurdles here. First of all, there would have to be evidence to support such a charge. You may be hoping that such a crime has happened, but right now there is no reason to think that it has.

Second, if it does transpire that such a crime has happened, you would need a good argument why anyone should care after the Democrats said it was OK for Bill Clinton to break the law.

You might manage to clear that first hurdle, although your odds are not nearly as great as you think. There isn't much chance of you clearing that second hurdle.

You'd better get used to Trump being our president. He's going to be there for another seven years. And there are going to be more Republican presidents elected after him.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 05:53 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
That was my bet!! March!

I think if Mueller would stick to financial holdings / conflicts of interest, and not waste time on Russia, he'd have the charges sewn up.

Then we can be horrified at what an actual Republican can steamroll through with a majority army of heartless, detached Republicans... yay, America!

You're ignoring those same two hurdles. What basis do you have for thinking there will be any charges at all?

And in the unlikely event that there are such charges, why do you think anyone is going to care after Bill Clinton?
blatham

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 06:10 am
I love Fox News not only for its fairness and balance but even more so because it is just so gosh darn sane. And really honest, too.
Quote:
Lou Dobbs: Trump is "possibly the strongest individual to serve in the Oval Office in my lifetime"
Dobbs: Trump has "established himself as the leader of this nation"
MM
Lash

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 06:14 am
@oralloy,
I feel confident that a multimillionaire with lucrative deals and properties all over the world, who is always looking for a new deal, who has almost no scruples is definitely going to step afoul of the law.

Jimmy Carter sold his peanut farm to stay on the right side of the law when he was elected.

oralloy

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 06:38 am
@Lash,
And if Mueller should happen to find some trivial violation somewhere in Trump's past, why do you think Republicans will care after the way the Democrats said it was OK for Bill Clinton to commit a long string of felonies in the White House?
oralloy

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 06:42 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I love Fox News not only for its fairness and balance but even more so because it is just so gosh darn sane. And really honest, too.
Quote:
Lou Dobbs: Trump is "possibly the strongest individual to serve in the Oval Office in my lifetime"
Dobbs: Trump has "established himself as the leader of this nation"
MM

Fox does seem to be a solid source of news. If I ever leave PBS I'll check them out.

And Trump is likely to be one of our greatest leaders.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 06:45 am
@oralloy,
I agree that Clinton got away with horrors.
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 07:47 am
Trump said the Iran agreement was the worst agreement negotiated by the US. Tillerson said Iran was meeting the technical side of the Iran agreement, but was violating it's spirit. So they want to scrap the agreement because Iran is keeping to it side of the agreement? In what way is Iran violating it's spirit?

Diplomats meet on Iran deal as Trump stays mum on decision (AP)

ehBeth

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 08:18 am
@revelette1,
I listened to The Globalist on Monocle radio overnight.

https://monocle.com/radio/shows/the-globalist/

The panelists joked that #45 thought the Iran agreement was bad since it wasn't his deal. Good deal or bad deal, it's the worst deal if someone else made/makes it.
revelette1

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 08:26 am
@ehBeth,
He is supposed to have made up his mind on whether to stick with it or not but hasn't told anyone yet. He likes his drama filled moments.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 09:46 am
@revelette1,
The Iran agreement is in the interests of the West, it boosts the moderates in Iran which is so very important. The one country that really loses out is Saudi Arabia.

http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/170520072813-03-trump-saudi-arabia-0520-full-169.jpg
0 Replies

snood

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 11:03 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
it's the worst deal if someone else made/makes it.

Especially if that someone else is Obama. He's trying to erase Obama's presidency.
0 Replies

Blickers

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 11:08 am
@Setanta,
Quote Setanta:
Quote:
https://harrisoncountydems.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/nazi-rally.jpg
But hey, they're good people--President Plump told us they are!

The funny part about this is how much these people won't recognize how time has passed them by. In the forties, Nazis were all dressed in uniforms. Look at these guys-most of them are dressed all different, and the guy on the right is wearing a cool suede jacket and shades at night. Most of these Hitler loving righties would be considered leftist subversive beatniks during the Red Scare fifties.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 11:30 am
@glitterbag,
Still works
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 21 Sep, 2017 12:07 pm
GB, when Finny says it still works, he means he can still divert (or attempt to divert) the discussion of President Plump by mentioning Clinton. Do us all a favor and ignore the idiot, 'K?