monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 01:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Of course, the most entertaining thing Rather ever did was to get mugged in the street outside of his apartment by some guy he claims kept uttering the now widely famous "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" Some folks thought Rather had to have made the story up, but I doubt that. It's so bizarre that it's far beyond Rather's meager creativity.

I forget the exact details, but some decades later they caught the guy who did it. It was some schizophrenic guy who believed that TV towers were beaming messages into his mind and was seeking a way to block the transmissions. Or something along those lines.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 01:54 pm
now that's an interesting effect

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21752082_10155083776481872_4862274213485523308_n.png?oh=063febfa7a2f5b9fc53171bae4335e95&oe=5A4714BA
oralloy

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 01:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The Dems are splitting Trump and the GOP, and it's going to **** 'em up badly.

Trump is going to be fine. He just needs to primary a few GOP troublemakers. They'll shape up.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
The ability for anything that's not bipartisan to pass is pretty much zero at this point thanks to Trump's actions.

That's not necessarily true. But there is certainly nothing wrong with Trump getting some bipartisan bills passed.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 01:59 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Sanders nay-sayers should at least note he is strong-arming Ds to finally publicly support single payer. He's making something happen toward enabling Americans to have affordable health care.

Sanders is leading the left over a cliff. They have all these delusions about "single payer" and 90% of them don't know what the term even means. Pursuing such delusional nonsense will help to seal their electoral marginalization.
oralloy

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 02:05 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Yeah, I know. I was hoping you'd take a shot at explaining what makes her a neocon - if you agree with that.

"Neocon" is a term used by people who hate America and wish that we would be destroyed, to describe someone who proudly believes that America should stand up for ourselves when we are attacked.

Since Hillary believes strongly that America should stand up for ourselves when we are attacked, it stands to reason that people who hate America would use this term to refer to her.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 02:06 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Quote:
Trump says he wants a massive military parade down Pennsylvania Avenue on July 4

This is so disgusting. On so many levels.

What's wrong with a military parade to celebrate our nation's founding?
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 02:08 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
You might need a bit of a history lesson, my friend. Al Qa'ida was the creation of the CIA during cold war games in Afghanistan. They've been on the payroll ever since.

That is incorrect. The CIA has never had anything to do with al-Qa'ida.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 02:47 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
Well, not everything, but those Stinger missiles, that might have been a mistake.

You mean the ones we supplied to the Taliban during the 1980s? They were pretty useful against Soviet attack helicopters from what I've heard.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 02:48 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
hightor wrote:
Gross oversimplification

How so? It's on the record, my friend.

Fictitious record. The US never supported al-Qa'ida.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 02:49 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
But it's not that difficult to see how the CIA might have formed an armed resistance group and subsequently lose control over it.

US weapons went to the Taliban. al-Qa'ida was always a different group with a different base of support.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 02:51 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
revelette1 wrote:

This guy embarrases the helll out of me. Does he have that affect on you?

Not me. I'm happy that our president tries to protect us from the bad guys.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 02:53 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Can someone tell me what logic or political expediency or strategic advantage is served by announcing Kim Jung-Un has a suicide wish, and then mocking him with a sarcastic nickname?

We have a bit of time before the nukes start flying. We might as well try to rally the world to try to pressure North Korea into backing down. It'll fail of course. But there is no harm in trying.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 03:22 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
That clown is a loose cannon. He's also a loner. He doesn't get the unqualified support of the party he allegedly heads, and he's an embarrassment even to those members of the party who don't openly criticize him. As Venezuela's foreign minister pointed out, he cannot even control his own government--

I'm not embarrassed. I'm happy that Trump is going to fix the country and lead us to a better future.

Setanta wrote:
he certainly can't pass legislation, which is why businessmen have abandoned the effort to work with him.

Business abandoned the effort to work with Trump because the Democrats are waging a McCarthyist witchhunt against him and the businesses don't want to be demonized.

If the economy tanks it will all be the Democrats' fault for damaging Trump's efforts to work with businesses and fix our economy.

Setanta wrote:
On a bright note, though, the white supremacists, the Klan and the Nazis love him.

The left always calls people who disagree with them Nazis.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 03:23 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Calling gun control advocates "freedom haters," and referring to critics of Zionism and the policies of the Israeli government as antisemites are just two examples of right-wing politically correct speech.

In other words, right-wingers favor telling the truth.

Setanta wrote:
Rightwingnuts have their own definitions of politically correct speech, they just consistently lie about it.

The fact that they don't agree that telling the truth is a form of political correctness doesn't make them liars.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 03:24 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I am amused that Sofie Lash Goth has also just labeled herself a Trump supporter.
Sofie Lash Goth wrote:
Waiting for my president to come up with an Elton John song title to zing him with.

I suppose we should be grateful for the small mercy of that unlooked for candor on her part.

That sounds to me like an admission to being an American citizen.

Setanta wrote:
That lying, cheating, puerile ego-maniac is certainly not my president.

Donald Trump is the president of all American citizens.
MontereyJack

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 03:41 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy says:
Quote:
Donald Trump is the president of all American citizens.

Two thirds of whom detest him.
MontereyJack

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 03:56 pm
@oralloy,
You're the one peddling delusional nonsense, not liberals. Strong majorities have polled in favor of single[payer health care or government-backed health care, depending on how the question is posed, since the turn of this century until today. Meanwhile, over 80% of the country recognizes the Republican "healthcare' plans as the shams they are ond overwhelmingly rejects them. But the GOP keeos resurrecting them and trying, once again, to ram them down our throats. The electoral disaster will be to the GOP unless they wise up, which judging from Graham=Cassidy, they haven't a prayer of doing. Don't say you weren't warned.
oralloy

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 04:01 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Two thirds of whom detest him.

I doubt that. Detest is a pretty strong word for people who merely disagree with some of his policies.
oralloy

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 04:11 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
You're the one peddling delusional nonsense, not liberals.

No, I'm the one pointing out facts and reality.

Liberals are the ones who keep using the term "single payer" to refer to all sorts of disparate systems that are anything but single payer.

MontereyJack wrote:
Strong majorities have polled in favor of single[payer health care or government-backed health care, depending on how the question is posed, since the turn of this century until today.

And most of them were delusional and have no idea what "single payer" even means.

I think it would be a bad idea to hand our health care over to delusional zealots. Far better to establish a working system that is based on reality.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 04:24 pm
@oralloy,
You really are trying to sugar <Sorry, my capl lock coat him, aren't you? It's not
"people who merely disagree wuth ALL of his agenda, his cabinet picks and their continuing attempts to dismantle the very bases of their departments, his growing cokrpus of lies, and disinformation, his misogyny, hisanger management issues, his instabilities, his tirades, his attempts to shift blame from him, his overblown claims for accomplisments which were ongoing befor he took office andrightlfully beong to others or never happened at all, his questionable business dealing, his refusal to release his tax returns or put his business aFFAIRS INTO A BLIND TRUST AND THE GROWING EVIDENCE HE'S STILL BENEFITTING FROM THEM <sorry, my caps lock key is too easy to hit>. Yes, I think :detest:" is the applicable termto describe the views of the two thirds of the country which has no use for him at all..