monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 07:27 am
@Lash,
Blood and Soil (German: Blut und Boden), closely related to Lebensraum
blatham

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 07:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes. The American version is Apple Pie and White Skin.
snood

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 07:36 am
@blatham,
I met Nurse Rea! She said "I am please you meet. Thanks to help our Trump government champion." It was a moving moment with a genuine patriot.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 07:39 am
@blatham,
‘Thy breath is like the steame of apple-pyes.’ Robert Greene already wrote in 1589.
In England, in not the colonies (they didn't have European apple trees there so early)
blatham

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 07:43 am
@snood,
A very, very rare privilege.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 07:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
‘Thy breath is like the steame of apple-pyes.’

Oh, that's smooth. I'm going to try that one on the ladies.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 08:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank you.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 11:04 am
Timelapse of Hurricane Irma predictions vs actual path

https://m.imgur.com/SY7g4X3
MontereyJack

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 11:13 am
@blatham,
Yeah, gotta love that Donna Trump. Who knew he was transgender,
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 11:14 am
@Olivier5,
There are a lot of people who suffered through traffic horrors all day yesterday, evac'd to Tampa from Miami, waking up in hotel rooms in Tampa this morning, discovering they are in the newly calculated ground zero location for landfall.
Brand X

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 11:42 am
@Lash,
Yeah, I bet the folks that went west to the panhandle are surprised too.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 01:10 pm
I remember that not all that long ago one of the resident rightists, who will remain unnamed, triumphantly posted this:
Quote:
Remember how global warming was gonna cause all these super hurricanes ??? And then Florida didn't​ have any hurricanes for 11 years, 2005-2016?? Gotta love those computer models huh?

And he even provided a corroborating article:
Quote:

10 Years Since Last Hurricane Made Landfall in Florida

Meteorologist Ari Sarsalari remembers Hurricane Wilma that made landfall in Florida on October 24 in 2005.
While there has been record tropical cyclone activity in the Northern Hemisphere this year, Florida continues to experience a record-long hurricane drought that reached 10 years on Saturday.

In 2015 Erika quickly fizzled to the south of the Sunshine State, and powerful Hurricane Joaquin stayed several hundred miles to the east as it meandered over the Bahamas.

If the drought continues through the end of 2015,(it did) it will mark 10 full hurricane seasons without a hurricane in Florida – doubling the previous record of five seasons from 1980 through 1984.

According to the Hurricane Research Division (HRD) of NOAA, Florida had 114 direct hurricane landfalls between 1851 and 2014. That is an average of seven hurricanes every 10 years. However, the past 10 years have featured zero Florida hurricanes.

A look at the last 64 hurricanes across the North Atlantic, ranging from late Oct. 2005, to late Oct. 2015. Florida has escaped a hurricane strike over this time.

After back-to-back very active hurricane seasons in 2004 to 2005, including seven landfalling hurricanes and three landfalling tropical storms, tropical cyclone activity suddenly became much quieter over Florida. The last hurricane to make landfall in Florida was Wilma on Oct. 24, 2005.

It is not just Florida that is in a hurricane drought. The U.S. in general has escaped quite a number of major hurricanes – 27 in a row have formed and either missed the U.S. entirely or made landfall below major-hurricane strength. Wilma was also the last major hurricane to strike the U.S.

weather.com
Walter Hinteler

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 01:55 pm
@hightor,
As a favourite right wing commentator tweeted:
Quote:
"Idon't believe Hurricane Harvey is God's punishment for Houston electing a lesbian mayor,” Coulter explained on Twitter, apropos of nothing at all. “But that is more credible than ‘climate change."
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 02:51 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

I remember that not all that long ago one of the resident rightists, who will remain unnamed, triumphantly posted this:
Quote:
Remember how global warming was gonna cause all these super hurricanes ??? And then Florida didn't​ have any hurricanes for 11 years, 2005-2016?? Gotta love those computer models huh?

Oh I remember that alright, I spent the better part of an hour listing all of the hurricanes and tropical storms that those research-disabled contortionists had ignored. It must be blissful floating around in your own fantasy all the time.......but they don't seem very blissful.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 03:37 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

snood wrote:
If you were with a bunch of people who started chanting "Blood and Soil! The Jews will not replace us!", would you immediately leave, or just ignore it and just keep marching or hanging around?

I probably wouldn't have even recognized "blood and soil" as being related to neo-nazis.

"Jews will not replace us" sounds creepy though. I'd have recognized that as bad.

It would depend on the size of the park and whether there were other people who shared my views who were sticking around. If there were a lot of people with various views in various corners of the park, I'd probably try to find the people that I agreed with and stick with them.

If I was alone in representing my views, I might ask the anti-neo-nazi group if they'd welcome someone who supported the statues but opposed neo-nazis. I guess the left is pretty intolerant and unwelcoming though, so that'd probably fail.

Snood may have seen other video but in the one Blickers provided, the tiki torch bearers are clearly chanting "You will not replace us" and not "Jews will not replace us."

Guardian Video

The "you" they used could very possibly have been Jews, (as well as any number of other NWO villains) and while I suppose a glib explanation for the use of "Blood and Soil" could be offered to deny any anti-Semitic sentiments, and depict it as simply nationalist, I would never take it seriously. Anyone who used "Blood and Soil" in protest chants had to know of its connection to German Nazis. It's not as if it has been innocently co-opted by any group or groups who have disseminated it so far and wide, and out of any context with Nazis, that it has effectively broken free of the noxious connection. I don't know any Americans who had a clue of its origins prior to Charlottesville, but I am 100% certain the tiki-boys did. Deliberately chanting slogans closely associated with German Nazis is, in my mind at least, ipso facto anti-Semitism.

You are of course correct that it's ridiculous to assume that this one video covered everyone in attendance; throughout the weekend or even that night. I doubt even the Guardian would have made such a claim. So Blicker's insistence that unless one can somehow identify a "good person" in that video, it is proof that Trump was referring to neo-Nazis and the KKK when he made his comment about there being "good people" there on both sides is laughably absurd, but illustrates the nature of the debate offered.

To snood's point, a good person in attendance would probably have also been unaware of the origins of "Blood and soil." Out of its German context, it's not a particularly sinister sounding slogan. Very Teutonic, but absent the Nazi connection it could simply be a dramatic nationalist watchword. I can imagine it having been used during the Revolutionary War, much the way "Dont tread on me" was used on the Gadsen flag.

Similarly, "You won't replace us!" (unlike "Jews won't replace us!") would not necessarily trigger white supremacist alarm bells. It's clear from the video (even before violence breaks out) that the tiki-boys were angry and intense (albeit even a bit comical) and that might have scared off good people who didn't like the electricity in the air, but a lot of people like to watch train wrecks and rubberneck on the road when passing the scene of an auto accident. It doesn't make them bad people.

Finally, for all any of us know, good people in attendance that night did leave the scene when the tiki-boys began their march and even more after violence broke out.

Again, I have no real knowledge that there actually were good people there and I don't know how Trump's assertion could have been anything more than an assumption and a refusal to blanketly accept the narrative being spun by certain quarters of the left that everyone attending the demonstration was a hate-mongering, white supremacist, and everyone participating in the counter-demonstration was a fine upstanding patriot, including the ones in masks with pepper spray and cudgels. (The latter Antifa thugs, of course, were merely there to protect peaceful counter-demonstrators from the violence of the white supremacists).

As I've written previously I believe it's safe to say any good people among the counter-demonstrators far out numbered any among the demonstrators, but that doesn't mean there were no good people among those protesting the removal of the Lee statue, and no bad people among the group who were there to protest the protesters.

I don't know any of the demonstrators either personally or by reputation, but I do know good people who would peacefully protest the removal of a statue honoring a Confederate general. I think on this issue they are wrong and that their romanticizing the antebellum South and the heroes of the rebellion, clouds their judgment and steers them away from a realization of the degree of insensitivity their position represents, but they are still good people.

Every good person I know has flaws. (I know it's hard to believe, but I too have flaws! Very Happy )

Foolishness and insensitivity are flaws but in the case of the Statute Wars, I personally don't consider them the sort of sins my boyhood Catholic friends referred to as Mortal. Apparently, someone was teaching them that there are sins so bad that once you commit one, that's it; game over man! According to their understanding of the dogma a Mortal Sin put a black mark on your soul that could not be erased no matter how much you pleaded for forgiveness or how many good works you performed. (I think maybe someone didn't want them playing with themselves under the bed covers). In any case, it often seems that this is the view of some folks on the left when it comes to Confederate statues, flags, and "Dixie."

glitterbag

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 04:21 pm
Just for reference sake, I saw the clips where the kkk chanted 'Jews will not replace us'.....apparently the hate groups knew what they were saying because they have steeped themselves in hate rethoric......those who have never heard such terms are lucky in a way....to have been spared such ugly speech.....but it seems once these terms have been identified and explained....only the truly pig headed think those terms are not hurtful and ugly....just because you are not aware of every ugly institutionized bigot phrase, does not mean every other person out here hasn't. There is more to history than memorizing dates.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 08:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Foolishness and insensitivity are flaws but in the case of the Statute Wars, I personally don't consider them the sort of sins my boyhood Catholic friends referred to as Mortal. Apparently, someone was teaching them that there are sins so bad that once you commit one, that's it; game over man! According to their understanding of the dogma a Mortal Sin put a black mark on your soul that could not be erased no matter how much you pleaded for forgiveness or how many good works you performed. (I think maybe someone didn't want them playing with themselves under the bed covers). In any case, it often seems that this is the view of some folks on the left when it comes to Confederate statues, flags, and "Dixie."

I think you have mixed up the notion of Mortal Sin with Original Sin. I can't speak for your boyhood Catholic friends but it sounds as if they gave you lousy religious information. I suppose it's possible you misunderstood what they told you, (It's nuanced, but the church doesn't teach that mortal sin can never be forgiven) but it's original sin that's considered the sin that can't be stain removed from souls.

Oh, and under the cover escapades are not ranked as mortal sin unless you murder another person, and even then only the murder is actually ranked as a mortal sin.

snood

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 09:13 pm
@glitterbag,
And anyway everyone knows the slavery is what's considered America's original sin, not the frigging statues. It's almost as if certain people feign ignorance to keep living in alternate reality.
maporsche

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 09:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I just want to make sure that you understand.

This was a planned, promoted, and schedule NAZI march.

The Nazi's did not co-opt another groups protest. They did not show up to some confederacy-supporting event and take it over. There were no other protests scheduled that evening/day....except the Nazi march.

What good person hears "did you know the Nazi's were protesting today?" And decided to show up?
roger

Sat 9 Sep, 2017 09:25 pm
@glitterbag,

glitterbag wrote:

I think you have mixed up the notion of Mortal Sin with Original Sin. I can't speak for your boyhood Catholic friends but it sounds as if they gave you lousy religious information. I suppose it's possible you misunderstood what they told you, (It's nuanced, but the church doesn't teach that mortal sin can never be forgiven) but it's original sin that's considered the sin that can't be stain removed from souls.

Oh, and under the cover escapades are not ranked as mortal sin unless you murder another person, and even then only the murder is actually ranked as a mortal sin.

You gotta watch those school chums. It was common knowledge in my sixth grade class that genesis could be proven by counting ribs, because women have one more rib than men. Kind of like whacking a Doberman's tail and all subsequent generations have bobbed tails. Hey, I kid you not. I was actually told this. Um, I wonder how many girls submitted to having their ribs counted because of this yarn.
0 Replies