monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 12:00 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

KKK and Nazi's inherently have biased and discriminatory views. Both have a violent past although the Holocaust was on a much more broader scale of terror and inhumanity. Antifa views are good up to a point(the point where they deny the other group the right to speak) but their methods are just as bad as today's Nazis (not talking of the Holocaust Nazis) and the KKK and other white supremacy groups. Look at what happened at Berkley just yesterday. Saturday there were peaceful protest against white supremacy groups but Sunday at Berkley was shameful.

I don't believe Finn has any Nazi sympathy. However, I do think he doesn't understand what the white supremacy groups are about right now. Just look at their title they had for themselves at Charlottesville. "Unite the Right." I think they are trying mainstream extremist discriminatory views by using the word "right" as though the republican right all have those views when that is really not the case. If I was a republican I would make sure to state in no uncertain terms that I do not hold those views or support them in any way. The whole monument issue was almost not relevant and I think was just used by Nazi/KKK/white supremacy groups to get regular republican conservatives to associate with them.

It is scary times right now and not helped by violence which the antifa uses in their fight.

Of course I don't have sympathy for Nazis but thanks for making your opinion known.

I don't have any sympathy for anyone who uses violence as a political weapon, and those that do, whether they be Neo-Nazis, KKK, of Antifa are dangerous and noxious thugs.

I do know what the white supremacists are up to. Any group that preaches racial supremacy is societal cancer. However, they have a First Amendment right to spew their hatred. Understanding and accepting this doesn't make me or anyone else a white supremacist or a sympathizer.

Condemning Antifa violence along with Neo-Nazi and KKK violence doesn't make me or anyone else a white supremacist or a sympathizer. If it did you just revealed yourself to be one, and of course you are not.

There is a certain group of people who wish to silence opposing views. Violence is only infrequently used as a tactic compared with the effort to shame people by mischaracterizing their statements and views. No one should allow them to succeed. I certainly won't.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 12:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

In my experience, those who believe as DeVos does mostly want federal funding for religious education. They dress their arguments up in other terms, but that's the end goal.

Cycloptichorn

That may be (we have no intimate knowledge of the scope of your experience) but unless you have a lot more than your experience to go by, making this claim about DeVos is specious.
maporsche

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 12:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

In my experience, those who believe as DeVos does mostly want federal funding for religious education. They dress their arguments up in other terms, but that's the end goal.

Cycloptichorn

That may be (we have no intimate knowledge of the scope of your experience) but unless you have a lot more than your experience to go by, making this claim about DeVos is specious.

Specious? Not really. There is at least one audio recording of her saying as much.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/opinion/betsy-devos-and-gods-plan-for-schools.html
Quote:
Ms. DeVos is a chip off the old block. At a 2001 gathering of conservative Christian philanthropists, she singled out education reform as a way to “advance God’s kingdom.” In an interview, she and her husband, Richard DeVos Jr., said that school choice would lead to “greater kingdom gain.”
revelette1

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 12:46 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Trump is an empty headed jerk and opportunistic attention whore. He can do immense harm just in the quest to be the biggest dick with the most stuff.
Pence is a religious zealot who believes gays can and should be prayed straight. He can do immense harm trying to make us a Christian nation like the good ole days - whatever the Beaver Cleaver hell that is.

I don't see a clear advantage for the other 70% of the country with either of them (or Ryan) as president.

Terrible state of our country isn't it? No good options.
revelette1

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 12:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Hi George,

Are we honestly going to compare the outcomes from a group (public schools) who are forced to take all kids, and another (charter) that is selective and regularly denies those with language barrier or learning disabilities? Talk about apples and oranges.

As for your second and third paragraphs, let me be one to state that many parents don't have the first ******* clue about how to educate their own kids, as they themselves are poorly educated. I do NOT believe they know better than a group of professionals on the topic. Why would anyone think they would know better? You know more about how your engine works than you mechanic? More about medicine than your doctor? C'mon.

Cycloptichorn

I agree, I have never agreed with publically funded charter schools (leaves too many kids left behind, plus, too independent) and now that DeVos in charge, these far right wing have it made in the shade as we used to say. I don't see any promise of hope for a long time.
0 Replies

emmett grogan

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 12:51 pm
@revelette1,
It all sounds too bad to even be remotely the reality. But there it is, at best we live in interesting times.

Anybody who sits out voting the 2018 offyear election needs a serious mope slapping. Or a menial job on a Trump property.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 12:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It might be considered specious if you knew nothing at all about DeVos and her history, I guess.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
emmett grogan

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 02:20 pm

Trump Associate Tried To Broker Moscow Deal So That ‘Our Boy Can Become President’

And Trump’s personal lawyer reportedly asked a top aide to Russian President Vladimir Putin for help.

By Willa Frej , Marina Fang

Suspicious ties between President Donald Trump and the Russian government just keep appearing.

In 2015, a Russian-born real estate broker working for the Trump Organization, Felix Sater, reportedly wrote a series of emails to Michael Cohen, Trump’s lawyer, attempting to broker a deal for a Trump Tower in Moscow. Those emails, obtained by The New York Times on Monday, appear to indicate Sater’s willingness to use a Moscow deal as a way to bolster a Trump presidency.

“Our boy can become president of the USA and we can engineer it,” Sater wrote. “I will get all of Putins [sic] team to buy in on this, I will manage this process.”

“I will get Putin on this program and we will get Donald elected,” another email said, referring to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The deal in Moscow, spearheaded in 2015 while Trump was already running for president, was originally reported by The Washington Post on Sunday.

In an additional story published Monday afternoon, the Post reported that Cohen reached out to a top aide to Putin for help on the deal, at Sater’s recommendation.

“As this project is too important, I am hereby requesting your assistance,” Cohen wrote in an email to Dmitry Peskov, Putin’s press secretary. “I respectfully request someone, preferably you, contact me so that I might discuss the specifics as well as arranging meetings with the appropriate individuals. I thank you in advance for your assistance and look forward to hearing from you soon.”

Sater reportedly suggested Trump visit Moscow, baiting him by claiming President Vladimir Putin could say “great things” about Trump.

Trump never ended up traveling to Moscow to pursue the deal, and Cohen says he didn’t either.

“I ultimately determined that the proposal was not feasible and never agreed to make a trip to Russia,” Cohen told The New York Times in a statement.

Side-by-side Justice Department and congressional investigations are currently underway to determine whether Trump campaign aides colluded with Moscow to influence the 2016 election. The investigations are looking into a number of possible contacts, including a meeting Donald Trump Jr. organized in June 2016. That meeting was with a woman Trump Jr. and others had been told was a Russian government attorney who could provide documents that would “incriminate” Hillary Clinton.

This article has been updated with details about Michael Cohen reaching out to a Putin aide.

Do you have information you want to share with HuffPost? Here’s how.
ALSO ON HUFFPOST
Real Music

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 03:18 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Overall charter schools perform a good deal better thant their public school counterparts and the difference is especially pronounces among minority communities. Newly opening charter schools typically have no trouble filling their classrooms as parents flock to escape the ideology ridden and union dominated failing public schools their liberal masters have prescribed for them.

Correct me if I am wrong. It is my understanding that charter schools are allowed to cherry pick what students they will accept through an application process. If the charter schools are getting the "preferred" students, wouldn't that often lead to getting better results? Hypothetically if the public schools were allowed to cherry pick the students they would accept through an application process, wouldn't the public schools have similar results. Obviously public schools are not allowed to exclude the students they don't desire. Public schools are required to accept all students. We should all be grateful that we have public schools for All students. Otherwise only the select students would be allowed to go to school and get an education. I am pointing this out because it appears that you are comparing apples to oranges. Just maybe, if it weren't for the unfair cherry picking of students, the charter schools may not necessarily be better. If the charter schools didn't have the option of choosing what students they wanted, then it would be a more fair comparison to public schools. I may be wrong with my assessment. If I am wrong please feel free to correct me.
Olivier5

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 03:19 pm
@emmett grogan,
That's pretty big.
emmett grogan

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 03:23 pm
@Olivier5,
It keeps getting bigger. Try to get tonight's Rachel Madow show off the net and also try to get the Colbert show's monologue.

The "news dump" this weekend was buried by the hurricane coverage.

Some terrible things happened Friday night.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 03:32 pm
@Real Music,
cherry pick the students and get the dregs of the educators

https://www.screenflex.com/working-private-public-charter-school/

Quote:
Pay – When working at a charter school, on average, you are more likely to get paid less than the private or public school teachers. Because charter schools are run by for-profit companies, there is little incentive to pay teachers more than absolutely have to. Also, there is a culture of encouraging a high turnover rate to “keep things fresh,” although in reality it just makes it easier for schools to offer lower wages and benefits. Furthermore, many charter schools discourage or ban unions, making collective bargaining for higher wages essentially impossible.

Private schools often pay better than charter schools as well offer benefits that are more competitive. However, private school teachers still, on average, make less than their public school counterparts do.

even American Progress which loves De Vos and charters thinks there is a problem looming

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/education/news/2017/03/17/428598/trump-devos-budget-dismantle-public-education-hurting-vulnerable-kids-working-families-teachers/

Quote:
Decades of research on vouchers show that they do not lead to better outcomes. The most comprehensive research, on statewide voucher programs in Indiana and Louisiana, found large negative results in both reading and math. Public elementary school students who started at the 50th percentile in math and then used a voucher to transfer to a private school dropped to the 26th percentile in a single year. In addition, these programs would likely not benefit vast swaths of America.

The administration also proposes a 50 percent increase in the charter school program. High-quality charter management organizations, or CMOs, have a demonstrated record of improving student outcomes, in part because they grow deliberately, select their staff carefully, and develop community buy-in. It is unlikely that these organizations could sustain their performance while growing as rapidly as a 50 percent single-year increase would require.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/on-negative-effects-of-vouchers/

http://www.epi.org/publication/exploring-the-consequences-of-charter-school-expansion-in-u-s-cities/
emmett grogan

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 04:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Its amazing how quickly the support for charter schools has tanked in the last year. Shut 90% of them down.
0 Replies

emmett grogan

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 04:19 pm
Trump Associate Boasted That Moscow Business Deal ‘Will Get Donald Elected’

By MATT APUZZO and MAGGIE HABERMANAUG. 28, 2017

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/us/politics/trump-tower-putin-felix-sater.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

WASHINGTON — A business associate of President Trump promised in 2015 to engineer a real estate deal with the aid of the president of Russia, Vladimir V. Putin, that he said would help Mr. Trump win the presidency.

The associate, Felix Sater, wrote a series of emails to Mr. Trump’s lawyer, Michael Cohen, in which he boasted about his ties to Mr. Putin. He predicted that building a Trump Tower in Moscow would highlight Mr. Trump’s savvy negotiating skills and be a political boon to his candidacy.

“Our boy can become president of the USA and we can engineer it,” Mr. Sater wrote in an email. “I will get all of Putins team to buy in on this, I will manage this process.”

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/08/29/us/29dc-tower-tear2/29dc-tower-tear2-master675.jpg
A portion of an email Felix Sater sent to Michael Cohen on Nov. 3, 2015.

The emails show that, from the earliest months of Mr. Trump’s campaign, some of his associates viewed close ties with Moscow as a political advantage. Those ties are now under investigation by the Justice Department and multiple congressional committees.

American intelligence agencies have concluded that the Russian government interfered with the 2016 presidential election to try to help Mr. Trump. Investigators want to know whether anyone on Mr. Trump’s team was part of that process.

Mr. Sater, a Russian immigrant, said he had lined up financing for the Trump Tower deal with VTB Bank, a Russian bank that was under American sanctions for involvement in Moscow’s efforts to undermine democracy in Ukraine. In another email, Mr. Sater envisioned a ribbon-cutting ceremony in Moscow.

“I will get Putin on this program and we will get Donald elected,” Mr. Sater wrote.

Mr. Sater said he was eager to show video clips to his Russian contacts of instances of Mr. Trump speaking glowingly about Russia, and said he would arrange for Mr. Putin to praise Mr. Trump’s business acumen.

“If he says it we own this election,” Mr. Sater wrote. “Americas most difficult adversary agreeing that Donald is a good guy to negotiate.”

There is no evidence in the emails that Mr. Sater delivered on his promises, and one email suggests that Mr. Sater overstated his Russian ties. In January 2016, Mr. Cohen wrote to Mr. Putin’s spokesman, Dmitri S. Peskov, asking for help restarting the Trump Tower project, which had stalled. But Mr. Cohen did not appear to have Mr. Peskov’s direct email, and instead wrote to a general inbox for press inquiries.

The project never got government permits or financing, and died weeks later.

“To be clear, the Trump Organization has never had any real estate holdings or interests in Russia,” the Trump Organization said Monday in a statement. Mr. Trump, however signed a nonbinding “letter of intent” for the project in 2015. Mr. Cohen said he discussed the project with Mr. Trump three times.

The Trump Organization on Monday turned over emails to the House Intelligence Committee, which is investigating Russian meddling in the presidential election and whether anyone in Mr. Trump’s campaign was involved. Some of the emails were obtained by The Times.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/08/29/us/29dc-tower-tear1/29dc-tower-tear1-master675.jpg
A portion of an email Mr. Sater sent to Mr. Cohen on Nov. 3, 2015.

The emails obtained by The Times do not include any responses from Mr. Cohen to Mr. Sater’s messages.

In a statement on Monday that was also provided to Congress, Mr. Cohen suggested that he viewed Mr. Sater’s comments as puffery. “He has sometimes used colorful language and has been prone to ‘salesmanship,’” the statement said. “I ultimately determined that the proposal was not feasible and never agreed to make a trip to Russia.”

The emails obtained by The Times make no mention of Russian efforts to damage Hillary Clinton’s campaign or the hacking of Democrats’ emails. Mr. Trump, who began praising Mr. Putin years before the presidential campaign, has said there was no collusion with Russian officials. Previously released emails, however, revealed that his campaign was willing to receive damaging information about Mrs. Clinton from Russian sources.

Mr. Sater said it would be “pretty cool to get a USA President elected” and said he desired to be the ambassador to the Bahamas. “That my friend is the home run I want out of this,” he wrote.

Mr. Sater — a former F.B.I. informant who is famous for having once smashed a martini glass stem into another man’s face — has maintained a relationship with Mr. Cohen over the years. The two men have spent decades operating in the world of New York commercial real estate, where the sources of funding can be murky.

Mr. Sater’s lawyer did not respond to messages seeking comment.

Mr. Sater was a broker for the Trump Organization for several years, paid to deliver real estate deals. A company he worked for, Bayrock, played a role in financing the Trump SoHo Hotel in New York. Mr. Sater and Mr. Cohen even worked together on a peace plan for Ukraine and Russia that they sought to get in front of Mr. Trump’s national security adviser earlier this year.

As a broker for the Trump Organization, Mr. Sater had an incentive to overstate his business-making acumen. He presents himself in his emails as so influential in Russia that he helped arrange a 2006 trip that Mr. Trump’s daughter, Ivanka, took to Moscow.

“I arranged for Ivanka to sit in Putins private chair at his desk and office in the Kremlin,” he said.

Ms. Trump said she had no involvement in the discussions about the Moscow deal other than to recommend possible architects. In a statement, she said that during the 2006 trip she took “a brief tour of Red Square and the Kremlin” as a tourist. She said it is possible she sat in Mr. Putin’s chair during that tour but she did not recall it. She said she has not seen or spoken to Mr. Sater since 2010. “I have never met President Vladimir Putin,” she said.

The Times reported earlier this year on the plan for a Trump Tower in Moscow, which never materialized. On Sunday, The Washington Post reported the existence of the correspondence between Mr. Sater and Mr. Cohen, but not its content.

Spokespeople for the House Intelligence Committee had no comment on the documents.

Mr. Cohen has denied any wrongdoing, and the Trump Organization turned over the emails to the House as part of his ongoing cooperation with the investigation.

Earlier this month, Mr. Cohen’s lawyer, Stephen M. Ryan, wrote a letter to congressional investigators that contained what he said was a point-by-point refutation of a dossier suggesting that Mr. Cohen colluded with Russian operatives. That dossier, compiled by a retired British spy and briefed to Mr. Trump during the transition, was published online early this year.

“We do not believe that the committee should give credence to or perpetuate any of the allegations relating to Mr. Cohen unless the committee can obtain independent and reliable corroboration,” Mr. Ryan wrote.

Get politics and Washington news updates via Facebook, Twitter and the Morning Briefing newsletter.
ossobucotemp

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 04:30 pm
Hmmmmm...... a tad fishy. Pass me the plate with the anchovies.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 04:39 pm
@emmett grogan,
If we could somehow harness the power of all those world war II vets who fought the Nazi and all the victims who perished under Stalin, we could bring energy to every inch of the globe.....and wouldn't pollute a single living thing.
revelette1

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 06:41 pm
Mueller team asking if Trump tried to hide purpose of son's meeting (NBC NEWS)

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Federal investigators working for Special Counsel Robert Mueller are keenly focused on President Donald Trump's role in crafting a response to a published article about a meeting between Russians and his son Donald Jr., three sources familiar with the matter told NBC News.

The sources told NBC News that prosecutors want to know what Trump knew about the meeting and whether he sought to conceal its purpose.
blatham

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 06:55 pm
@emmett grogan,
Quote:
“Our boy can become president of the USA and we can engineer it,” Mr. Sater wrote in an email. “I will get all of Putins team to buy in on this, I will manage this process.”
Goodness. Maybe Trump and his friends are actually corrupt. Who'd have guessed?
blatham

Mon 28 Aug, 2017 06:58 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
Re: georgeob1 (Post 6493013)
Quote:
Overall charter schools perform a good deal better thant their public school counterparts
When George or anyone else makes such a claim, insist that they provide supporting evidence for it. These are empirical matters and simple assertions without supporting evidence are worthless.
0 Replies