monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

ehBeth

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 09:11 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Well, the Christian god certainly hates immigrants

this piece of thinking has always puzzled me. Jesus' mother and step-dad were refugees/immigrants. many people covered in the Bible were refugees and immigrants.

as a child who went to occasional Christian events - we were taught that we had to be good/kind/accepting of refugees and immigrants because that was the Christian way. Given that my mother was a refugee and my parents were immigrants, I was always pleased to hear this.
ehBeth

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 09:14 am
@snood,
It will only be wrong if Falwell or Robertson and their gang don't say something because they've sure got a history of it.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/when-donald-trumps-buddies-blamed-obama-and-homosexuals-for-hurricanes
emmett grogan

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 10:16 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Well, the Christian god certainly hates immigrants

He seems to hate women, children, the old, the imprisoned - all the people his Son called out especially to help.

It always struck me that in my and my families friends homes were references to the Beatitudes and Christ holding lambs and saving children how much discussion was racist, misogynistic, homophobic etc.

Then we'd all go to church, there were potluck and coffee in the basement but no cards or dancing. Maybe it all led to quiet dark thought.

I've even heard it preached often these days that Christ would never feed the lazy (meaning the poor and hungry) as if Christ tells us to means qualify the poor, the hungry, the naked, the imprisoned, those who ask our help.

I feel we are asked to give and that we should give. I appreciate what St Augustine said: Preach the Gospel every day. If necessary, use words.
emmett grogan

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 10:26 am
@blatham,
Regarding Cruz - he might be able to pull off a Trump-like POTUS run, he's not exactly popular here in Texas. There's big talk he will get beaten at primary. He's been out of the news since the election. He didn't look exactly Presidential campaigning. He's more effective from the chest up on a TV screen. I thought his children were interesting.
emmett grogan

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 10:44 am
@izzythepush,
Americans have always been antifas. Our efforts for beating facists explains our efforts in WWII, and our efforts against the USSR after the war.

We've always flirted with facism here. Abraham Lincoln withdrew Habeas Corpus rights just before the Civil War and one of my ancestors, a Governor of Kentucky was imprisoned (he was an anti war pro slavery member of the Know Nothing Party) to Billy Sunday, Father Coughlan, The American Bund, Silver Shirts, America Firsters etc.

There was some question as to whether the US could even commit to the war against Germany until the later thirties.

German missed becoming the official language of the US over English by one vote. They may have been more Germans than English in the Colonies at the Revolution.

But then weren't there black shirts in UK and wasn't Windsor sent to the Bahamas during WWII, and from where did skins heads emerge? And Oy bands.

There's plenty of blame to spread.

BTW. How's the kid doing?
0 Replies

snood

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 10:49 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

snood wrote:

Yeah, I was half expecting some kind of pronouncement from Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell Jr. that the flooding was because of ungodly illegal immigration.

So easy to criticize people if you get to make up their words.

It isn't that big a stretch. Robertson has blamed natural disasters on certain demographics before.
emmett grogan

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 10:51 am
@snood,
Exactly right, it isn't as if these guys have ever said anything different than that ever ever ever in their lives.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 10:54 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You have to be very screwed up to think that anti fascism is a bad thing.

To be fair, some of the people who are very critical of the antifa demonstrators see them as (ironically) employing "Brown Shirt" tactics to deny the Nazi sympathizers their rights to free expression. But then they fall into the "same tactics=same ideology" mistake. The suppression of others' right to speak is not exclusive to fascism, per se.
Quote:
This mindset is unique to fascists and some, (if I'm being very generous,) Americans.

USAmericans also like to differentiate between insurgent groups in foreign conflicts. If the USA supports the particular government the armed opposition will be referred to as "terrorists" or "guerrillas". But if it's a government we're not friendly with the rebels will conveniently be deemed "freedom fighters".
snood

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 11:02 am
@ehBeth,
Pat Robertson and Falwell Sr. even blamed the 9/11 attack on gays and lesbians.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 12:20 pm
@emmett grogan,
is it the difference between Baptists and Christians?

Until I was about 14 , I only experienced Prostestant, Catholic, United Church and Lutheran services/churches. It was all about helping those who needed help - and lots of drinking/dancing/music-making and card-playing afterward.
ehBeth

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 12:21 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You have to be very screwed up to think that anti fascism is a bad thing.

thank you for using the anti-fascist terminology

I have no intention of letting the right soften the meaning by using that cute antifa term. They are fascists, not fas.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 12:45 pm
@hightor,
We clearly have different perspectives.

You believe yours is accurate. Good for you.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 12:46 pm
@izzythepush,
You have to be screwed up to think that Brownshirt tactics are an acceptable way to combat fascism.
izzythepush

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 01:19 pm
@ehBeth,
I've no intention of adopting fascist terminology. Anti fascism, anti Nazism has a noble tradition. Fascist sympathisers threw all this **** at the ANL back in 1978. We defeated them then, and can do it again, they're all cowards at heart.

https://media.vam.ac.uk/media/thira/collection_images/2011ET/2011ET3712_jpg_l.jpg

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/alexandra-park-rar-poster.gif

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/e6/60/69/e6606946bf2f3a31060d6d027b831d7e--national-front-the-national.jpg

http://www.bombedoutpunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/bombed-out-punk-memoir-peter-alan-lloyd-punk-and-new-wave-1980s-liverpool-bands-1980s-recession-rock-against-racism-anti-nazi-league-national-front-1970s-british-extremism-punk-and-new-wave-gigs-9.jpg
izzythepush

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 01:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Be honest, there's only one reason your tongue is firmly stuck up the Nazi's arses, they're talking your language.

One good thing about this is that the Nazi sympathisers are now showing their true faces.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 01:24 pm
@izzythepush,
More spew from a childish brat.
emmett grogan

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 01:24 pm
@ehBeth,
We Missouri Synod Lutherans did not dance or play cards anywhere in the church building, but we would play cards and have a schnaps or a glass of wine or beer at home.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 01:25 pm
@izzythepush,
"We" defeated them?

Brave izzy.
0 Replies

snood

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 02:22 pm
@izzythepush,
Finn wrote:
Quote:
More spew from a childish brat.

Take this with a grain of salt, Izzy. This is comeing from someone who's been whining like a middle schooler about being picked on by the mean clique.
izzythepush

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 02:41 pm
@snood,
I didn't take it at all until you quoted it,I've got him on ignore. Finn is a liar whose lies have caught up with him so he's lashing out blindly. That's what they do when the mask slips and they get found out.