@McGentrix,
Indeed
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 03:46 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

emmett grogan wrote:
16 Charities Are Cancelling Mar-a-Lago Events Since Trump Defended White Supremacists

Trump didn't defend White Supremacists.

Of course he didn't but the Left, unfortunately, continues to largely succeed in the public arena to bend reality to their ideological designs. Therefore, criticizing Antifa thugs is defending white supremacists and saying that there some fine people among the hundreds of demonstrators (which no one can prove is untrue) is defending white supremacists.

This is the perilous waters in which Trump sails. He either must kowtow to what the Left insists he declares or risk their accusations of being vile. It's pretty clear that he refuses to be controlled by them, which I like.

The same thing is going on in this forum. It's pernicious and must be resisted.
hightor

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 03:59 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
No, and I won't forget Benghazi either.

Yeah, the Nation — I enjoyed your assessment of Vanden Heuvel and Cohen. I don't read the periodical regularly so I'm not that familiar with the inner workings of the editorial board. But I do know that there have always been "lefter-than-left" critics — some ideological, some just contrarian gadflies— who delight in exposing the alleged hypocrisy and perfidy of the hapless moderates and enjoy pushing an alternate narrative. Counterpunch is one example. Since I consider myself more an anti-rightist than a leftist I don't pay much attention to the higher criticism which circulates in the rarefied atmosphere of the ultra-progressives.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 04:18 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

No, and I won't forget Benghazi either.

Me either but I suspect we have different reasons.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 04:05 am
@emmett grogan,
Quote:
Pence seems "mainstream" standing up next to Trump.

Exactly. During the GOP primaries, my concern was that such a contrast would aid the advance of someone like Cruz. This potential problem hasn't gone away.

After Bush, the GOP's reputation suffered badly. The "tea party" served as an effective rebranding of Republican politics. Whatever/whoever arises following Trump will again ride along on a similar rebranding - "I'm definitely not Trump (and there'll be the evergreen claim) because Trump was never a real conservative and I am." At least, that will be the subtext. To the degree that the GOP and it's media allies can manage it, they will try to bury the recent Trumpian past very deep in the memory hole. The less they can mention or refer to Trump will be the way they'll go - in aid of forgetting and marketing something "brand new".
blatham

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 04:51 am
I see that there is a new Ditch Mitch campaign underway. This comes from the DeMint crowd (Senate Conservatives Action - Freedom Caucus) with Ken Cuccinelli a prime player. That is, the same crowd that got rid of Boehner. A relevant factor here is the tight association between Heritage and the Koch brothers.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 05:26 am
How cool is this? Every president needs a brain-trust.
Quote:
Joe Arpaio thanks conspiracy theorist Alex Jones for getting his story to Donald Trump, who is reportedly poised to pardon the former sheriff
MM
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 05:36 am
Quote:
Laurence Tribe‏Verified account
@tribelaw
Arpaio's pardon for his contempt conviction tells guys like Flynn & Manifort they needn't obey a subpoena to testify for Mueller grand jury!

Given what we know as regards Trump's concerns about the Russia investigations, Tribe's point makes a lot of sense.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 06:01 am
I think I'd better advance this claim before others get to it.

Because of the vile, unnatural and degraded acts of sodomy committed in New York and San Francisco, God is raining down his righteous punishment on Houston, Texas.
snood

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 06:07 am
@blatham,
Yeah, I was half expecting some kind of pronouncement from Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell Jr. that the flooding was because of ungodly illegal immigration.
hightor

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 07:00 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Therefore, criticizing Antifa thugs is defending white supremacists and saying that there some fine people among the hundreds of demonstrators (which no one can prove is untrue) is defending white supremacists.

Oh?
the president wrote:
But you also had people that were very fine people on both sides.

How does he know there were "very fine people" on both sides? As far as I know he hasn't been able to produce even one of these "very fine people". You know, the kind of "very fine people" who decide to attend a pro-Nazi white supremacist demonstration — or break one up. I can see it now, Trump with a "very fine" person on either side of him, one covered in fascist symbols holding a shield and a Tiki torch and the other one masked, all in black, holding a truncheon. Voila!

Quote:
(which no one can prove is untrue)

Um, kind of difficult to prove a negative. The burden of proof is on the one making the claim. He only needs to produce one "very fine person" from each side. That should be a lot easier than trying to track down every single thug and prove that he's not a "very fine person".

His statement said nothing. It meant nothing. He was talking out of both sides of his mouth. He back-tracked after categorically denouncing the white supremacists the day before. He's afraid to alienate the gamers and perpetual adolescents who make up the glowing nuclear core of his base.

Quote:
This is the perilous waters in which Trump sails.

Oh, the poor guy. So misunderstood. Silly liberals can't seem to understand that a disinclination to offend white supremacists is in no way a defense of white supremacists. He just doesn't like to hurt people's feelings.
Quote:
It's pretty clear that he refuses to be controlled by them, which I like.

It's pretty clear that he's undisciplined, impetuous, and thin-skinned. Those aren't qualities I particularly admire in anyone, especially a head of state. "Refusing to be controlled by them" is a far cry from actually outsmarting them.

Quote:
It's pernicious and must be resisted.

Good luck with that. Obama didn't expressly defend "radical Islamist terrorists" either but that would be a hard sell to Trump supporters. The world is just so unfair.
izzythepush

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 07:19 am
@hightor,
You have to be very screwed up to think that anti fascism is a bad thing. This mindset is unique to fascists and some, (if I'm being very generous,) Americans.

Elsewhere fighting bigotry and hatred is seen as a good thing.
blatham

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 07:57 am
@snood,
Well, the Christian god certainly hates immigrants so that's probably adding to His high POQ (pissed off quotient). In either case, He's gonna bring down a shitstorm and why the hell not Houston? If God had a twitter account...
Quote:
No Wall Yet?! Inexcusable! Where's the Shame? Watch this, Fake Christians!
blatham

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 08:08 am
Quote:
A new Washington Post-ABC News poll illustrates the dilemma Republican politicians face. It found that 28 percent of polled voters say they approved of Mr. Trump’s response to Charlottesville. But among Republican voters, the figure was 62 percent, while 72 percent of conservative Republicans approved.

The more offensive Mr. Trump is to the rest of America, the more popular he becomes with his core supporters. One policy example: At a recent rally in Phoenix, the president said he was willing to shut down the government over the question of funding for a border wall, which most of his base favors but only about a third of all Americans want.

Much of this mess is of the Republican Party’s own making. Let’s not forget that Mr. Trump’s political rise began with his promulgation of the racist conspiracy theory that President Obama was not a natural-born American
citizen. The Trump presidency is the result of years of destructive mental habits and moral decay. So there’s no easy solution for responsible Republicans.

..We are well past the point where equivocations are defensible, and we’re nearly past the point where a moral reconstitution is possible. The damage Mr. Trump has inflicted on the Republican Party is already enormous. If the party doesn’t make a clean break with him, it will be generational.

Peter Wehner, a senior fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center, served in the previous three Republican administrations and is a contributing opinion writer..
WP

I'm all for that generational time frame.
0 Replies

jcboy

Sun 27 Aug, 2017 08:44 am
Razz

0 Replies