Its no longer a clandestine plan.
blatham

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 04:16 am
@farmerman,
For those paying close attention, yes.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 04:21 am
I've been travelling so just heard about the Arpaio pardon. Not a surprise for any of us, I assume. Has anyone seen any criticism of this move by Republicans? My expectation is there will be almost none because of what this party has become.

Edit: just found one
Quote:
John McCain‏Verified account @SenJohnMcCain 7h7 hours ago
.@POTUS's pardon of Joe Arpaio, who illegally profiled Latinos, undermines his claim for the respect of rule of law https://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=3B0E692D-FFEB-4F6C-ADF9-C3F598E94D2A
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 04:29 am
Goodness
Quote:
Jane Mayer‏ @JaneMayerNYer Aug 24
Whoa, Breitbart declares war on the Koch Brothers. Pass the Popcorn!
Quote:
Wasinger: Kick the Freedom (a.k.a. ‘Koch’) Caucus to the Curb
One of the most perplexing stories of this young administration is the surprising influence of a faction of the Republican Party that was dead-set against the nomination of Donald Trump, conspired behind the scenes to defeat him in the general election, and oppose almost every major aspect of the policy agenda he was elected to implement.
It is no coincidence the Koch brothers and their minions in Washington were right at the center of the slow train wreck that was the Obamacare repeal effort: the Koch network not only commands considerable clout within the GOP caucus on Capitol Hill, but they have had remarkable success in infiltrating the administration itself with various alumni from their extensive array of front organizations. Indeed, Koch operatives have landed plum perches in key administration jobs, including some that help shape strategy for the administration.Breitbart
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 04:33 am
Not sure about the rest of you, but this pretty much sums up my personal dilemma

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIA8YzPXYAMtJSw.jpg
farmerman

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 04:35 am
@oralloy,
Lets say that you are "more correct" than I. Trump's very self proclaimed "Skills" at negotiation and "deal making" are his failings totally and not the result of liberal establishments. His failure in doing in the ACA has a lot to do with his petulance and inability to see the deals possible and to politically Arm Twist (like Lyndon Johnson could).
I see examples of cross aisle cooperation between Dems and GOP to"fix the ACA" (theres a big push to broker a deal among the representatives to get the issues of drug pricing and plan pricing to make insurance companies calm down. AND, it looks like, despite Trumps warnings about shutting down the govt if he isnt satisfied over the "border Wall" There were several GOPers who said that the House has enough votes to ovverride his veto.

His own party, as was mentioned in a NYT story on Thurs, is working to marginalize him and to possibly make him irrelevant.

His breaking the constitution ois already being done with his Secy of Education's plans for bringing prayer to Charter schools (It must be recalled that charter schools are still considered public institutions, and his mean spirited talk about what hed do with the press sounds a lot like like Spiro Agnew.

His base hangs on because they dont like to admit that they fucked up. Independents arent so loyal. They want real results.
Were coming up to end of year 1 and the whole govt is dysfunctional and most of that is due to Trump's inability to play political checkers.(Hes really not the strategist that he claims he is), and it appears that hes got some major screws loose.
blatham

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 04:47 am
Perched way up top in our on-going Drain The Swamp series!
Quote:
Did the millionaire couple fly to Louisville on Monday, on a taxpayer-funded plane, just to see the solar eclipse? Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) suggested as much in seeking records of the trip, saying it “seems to have been planned around the solar eclipse.”

It turns out that Mnuchin did view the eclipse while he was in Kentucky: Just outside the path of totality, from the lawn of the nation’s fabled Fort Knox, home to nearly $200 billion in American gold, according to an aide to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).
WP
Steve and Louise jet off to Fort Knox to watch the solar eclipse.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 04:58 am
Quote:
Sebastian Gorka, a controversial White House staffer who served as a fiery spokesman for President Trump on national security matters, abruptly left the administration on Friday as his nationalist faction was being silenced, four people briefed on Gorka’s exit confirmed.
WP
Cool. That'll fix everything.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 05:58 am
Addressing a different matter, Ed Kilgore speaks to the argument I made earlier as to why I don't wish to see Trump gone in the short term via resignation or impeachment
Quote:
You could even argue pretty convincingly that impeaching and removing Trump would be very adverse to the short- and long-term interests of the Democratic Party. Why make some conventional Republican like Pence or Paul Ryan (the next in line) who has not bragged about sexual assaults or embraced racists or cozied up to Vladimir Putin or gone crazy on social media a sitting president? What horrendous public-sector policies or congressional initiatives would impeaching Trump torpedo? Why squander the opportunity to reap electoral benefits from a good backlash against Trump?
NYMag

0 Replies

blatham

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 06:07 am
Typically bright piece from Jon Chait
Quote:
‘I Alone Can Fix It’ Becomes ‘It’s Not My Fault’

“I have joined the political arena so that the powerful can no longer beat up on people that cannot defend themselves,” said Donald Trump in the acceptance speech at his nominating convention. “Nobody knows the system better than me, which is why I alone can fix it.” None of those claims have turned out to be true. First, helping the powerful beat up on the defenseless has turned out to be the overriding thematic goal of his agenda. Second (and mitigating the first), everybody knows the system better than Trump — at least everybody in politics. And he has proven so unable to fix it he is already shifting his message toward assigning the blame elsewhere.

Trump is encountering the classic populist dilemma. Populists define political problems as very simple, denying the existence of complex tradeoffs. They envision the political system as pitting a unified people (or, in certain herrenvolk varieties of populism, as a unified racial subset of the people) against a nefarious elite. The dilemma is that the promise of easy solutions can help win an election, but it does not translate into governing. Populists generally either radically depart from their platform, resort to authoritarianism to consolidate their power, or fail. Trump is heading for door no. 3.

Note how that second graph applies quite precisely to a certain contingent of Sanders' supporters as well.
0 Replies

emmett grogan

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 06:27 am
@blatham,
Quote:
buy into my notion that it would be better if Trump stays in office for a while longer.

Pence seems "mainstream" standing up next to Trump. The problem is he
is even wackier than Trump. I think holding onto Trump until just before the 2018 elections would generate a bigger turnout for an "off year election".
jcboy

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 06:56 am
You can really, really, hear the words coming out of their mouths:
'Yes, I am a racist and I am proud of it!'
Racist Sheriff Joe supported tRump during the presidential race and tRump now pardons Joe in a perverse use of presidential pardoning power.
Such a travesty and so very disgusting!

https://image.ibb.co/h0Om7Q/t.jpg
emmett grogan

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 06:59 am
@jcboy,
Fat old out of touch white men.

One reason I keep my hair long is so I don't look so much like them myself.
Below viewing threshold (view)
MontereyJack

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 09:54 am
@cameronleon,
Add one more loon to the Trump column. Trumps's economy is what he inherited from Obama. Trump's job creation rate is actually somewhat below gthe last year of Obama's. He bloviates about things he didn''t create. His bills are justifiably stalled, not signed. His health care plan was hated by nearlu 90 percent of the country and broke a\every one of his promises. The skies won't be blue, they'll be gray and toxic because of all the pollution and crap his
"reforms" are going to put in them. He's a phony, from stem to stern.
hightor

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 10:58 am
Here's a long, detailed profile of Mr. Assange from the New Yorker. I'd have posted the link earlier but it took me quite a while to finish reading it. My impression of Assange remains about where it was — that he's self-serving, opportunistic, and egotistical. While the author doesn't make a meticulous examination of the Seth Rich sub-story, it's pretty hard to read the article and come away with the notion that Russian military intelligence played no part in hacking the DNC. No matter what Alex Jones, cameronleon, or the resident Hillary-haters claim to believe.

Julian Assange, a Man Without a Country
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 03:30 pm
@hightor,
Don't forget the Nation
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 26 Aug, 2017 03:31 pm
@emmett grogan,
emmett grogan wrote:

Fat old out of touch white men.

One reason I keep my hair long is so I don't look so much like them myself.

Well at least you admit your fat
0 Replies