monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

glitterbag

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 09:44 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Just out of curiosity, do you actually know other people who behave like Trump? Would you trust them with your children, your money, your career? People like Trump make me back up for a quick escape.

But on the other hand, maybe Trump isn't the demented one. Maybe it's the people who squander their own reputations to support the hate mongering thuggish behaviour who are the unbalanced people.
snood

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 10:18 am
@glitterbag,
Finn's got that "reputation" thing handled. After Trump crashes and burns in ignominy, Finn will simply deny he was ever a supporter anyway, but just someone making observations. Hell if he can get away with it, he'll probably scoff that he was way ahead of everyone - that he knew the outcome all along.
snood

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 10:34 am
Ex-senator John Danforth: Trump is 'the most divisive president in our history'

(Bolds mine)
Quote:
"Trump is always eager to tell people that they don’t belong here, whether it’s Mexicans, Muslims, transgender people or another group. His message is, “You are not one of us',” Danforth wrote in a Washington Post op-ed posted online Thursday evening. "And when he has the opportunity to unite Americans, to inspire us, to call out the most hateful among us, the KKK and the neo-Nazis, he refuses."

Danforth's op-ed is a harshly worded rebuke from a GOP elder statesman, coming at a time when Trump is already under fire for his response to the racially charged violence in Charlottesville, where white supremacists rallied earlier this month.

Danforth, an ordained Episcopal priest and three-term senator, called on Republicans to "disassociate ourselves from Trump" and tell voters that "he does not represent what it means to be a Republican." He suggested Republicans were at risk of losing their historical connection to Abraham Lincoln and the crusade to end slavery during the Civil War.

"We are the party of the Union, and (Trump) is the most divisive president in our history," Danforth wrote. "There hasn’t been a more divisive person in national politics since George Wallace."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/08/24/ex-senator-john-danforth-trump-the-most-divisive-president-our-history/600288001/

0 Replies

snood

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 11:04 am
Trump's Economic Adviser Gary Cohn speaks out: Trump 'must do better'

It would've been nice if he'd spoken up when he was asked what he thought of Trump's comments immediately after he had stood behind him, listening. But, ah well - better late spine than no spine at all.

Quote:
Gary Cohn, President Donald Trump's top economic adviser, has criticized the White House's response to Charlottesville, Virginia, in his first public remarks about the deadly violence earlier this month.

"This administration can and must do better in consistently and unequivocally condemning these groups and do everything we can to heal the deep divisions that exist in our communities,"
Cohn said he felt compelled "to voice my distress over the events of the last two weeks."

Cohn, who is Jewish, was reportedly "disgusted" and "appalled" with Trump's response to white nationalists' role in the violence in Charlottesville. The president blamed "both sides" for the violence, which left one counterprotester dead.

"Citizens standing up for equality and freedom can never be equated with white supremacists, neo-Nazis, and the KKK," Cohn told the FT.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gary-cohn-trump-must-do-better-after-charlottesville-2017-8
revelette1

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 12:02 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Demolishing a Coney Island landmark to make a few hundred thousand bucks... Now that's classy!

Speaking of monuments, I suppose some monuments are more important than others for the Trump administration.

Interior secretary Zinke’s secret national monuments report comes under legal attack (TP)

Quote:
Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke recommended that President Donald Trump approve the reduction of at least three national monuments, a move that could open hundreds of thousands of acres of public lands to oil and gas drilling and mining, according to leaked copies of a report prepared by the Department of the Interior.

As though we (US) haven't taken enough land of the native Americans.
emmett grogan

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 01:32 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Trump 'must do better'

Is that the best "Trump's Economic Adviser Gary Cohn speaks out" can do, "must do better"?

That's a mighty low bar.
0 Replies

emmett grogan

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 01:42 pm
@Olivier5,
I know. Its one of the funniest things ever - a tiki torch Nazi crying over the fact that protected free speech doesn't include CS-ing peaceful unarmed protesters expressing their free and protected speech and finding out the hard way that yes, he could be charged with assault and that freely made unprotected hate speech has consequences.
Baldimo

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 02:08 pm
@emmett grogan,
Quote:
I know. Its one of the funniest things ever - a tiki torch Nazi crying over the fact that protected free speech doesn't include CS-ing peaceful unarmed protesters expressing their free and protected speech and finding out the hard way that yes, he could be charged with assault and that freely made unprotected hate speech has consequences.

My oh my how you are twisting the meaning of the 1st Amendment, there is no such things as "unprotected hate speech". You will have to find a current held ruling that shows there is such a thing.
Blickers

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 02:12 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote glitterbag:
Quote:
But on the other hand, maybe Trump isn't the demented one. Maybe it's the people who squander their own reputations to support the hate mongering thuggish behaviour who are the unbalanced people.

It's amazing that anyone is still defending him at this point, although many have begun taking small steps back. Despite all the daily hoopla Trump likes to create with his tweets, the story has been apparent for some time: Trump's been laundering money for the Russians for quite a few years now, that's why he wouldn't release his tax returns. Mueller suspects it, Mueller has already got several of Trump's associates to turn evidence, and when the story comes out Trump must leave office.

In return, Trump is thrashing around trying to create diversion and hopefully fire Mueller, although that will not block the investigation continuing. And to their credit, the Republicans are not going to allow Trump to fire Mueller anyway.

At this point, if I were a Republican, I would have stopped coming out in defense of Trump and started working on the reverse play-you know, Trump was really the Democrats' fault, the Democrats DROVE the Republicans to put Trump up for President. It will take some doing, which is why they should make an early start.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 02:36 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Just out of curiosity, do you actually know other people who behave like Trump? Would you trust them with your children, your money, your career? People like Trump make me back up for a quick escape.

I don't know Trump personally and I wouldn't make any judgments concerning the things you've referenced unless I did. Based on what I observed about Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon and LBJ, I think I might have some trust issues with each of them, but I still wouldn't make a judgment on personal trust without personally knowing them.

Trump isn't demented nor is anyone squandering their reputation by supporting him on certain issues. Besides, I very much doubt that the people who are accusing them of doing so held them in high regard before Trump took office. This is the mistake Republicans make all of the time when they attempt to win the good graces of the MSM or liberals by pandering to them (Think John McCain) They're not winning any points with these folks. They may get one story or A2K post that describes them as courageous but the next time they take a conservative position they will be pilloried by their fickle new fans.

I know this is beyond the capability of your narrow mind to grasp, but not everyone in America believes Trump to be guilty of demented, hate-mongering, and thuggish behavior and those who don't aren't all demented, hate-mongering thugs.

It really doesn't matter to the overwhelming majority of them (I would have written "any" of them but I suppose there are a few weak minded folks who might wither before the hectoring of a bureaucratic clerk who has served our nation for over thirty years) if their reputation has, in your eyes, been tarnished or if they embarrass or shame you.

You can continue to rant about deplorables every single day and twice on Sundays but it's like a fart in the wind. I'm sure it makes you feel good and a welcome member of a certain clique here, but otherwise it's irrelevant. If you have disdain for these people don't associate with them or continue to insult them, either way, it matters not to me at all.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 02:38 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Finn's got that "reputation" thing handled. After Trump crashes and burns in ignominy, Finn will simply deny he was ever a supporter anyway, but just someone making observations. Hell if he can get away with it, he'll probably scoff that he was way ahead of everyone - that he knew the outcome all along.

Sure because I've done this before with other matters...right? There's plenty of behaviors I've displayed here that you can criticize without having to make any up out of whole cloth.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 02:49 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Quote:
Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke recommended that President Donald Trump approve the reduction of at least three national monuments, a move that could open hundreds of thousands of acres of public lands to oil and gas drilling and mining, according to leaked copies of a report prepared by the Department of the Interior.

As though we (US) haven't taken enough land of the native Americans.

"Public" lands is not a synonym for "Indian" lands, and in most Indian cultures all lands are sacred including the plot of land on which your home is situated and which at one time was probably owned by Indians (Of course the people who argue about stealing land from the Indians love to point out, when it suits their arguments against property rights, that the largely nomadic Indians thought owning any parcel of land was crazy) So you can be a brave pioneer in righting the wrongs visited upon Indians by our forefathers by turning back the land you currently own to the local tribe.
0 Replies

old europe

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 03:54 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
there is no such things as "unprotected hate speech". You will have to find a current held ruling that shows there is such a thing.

Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 US 444 (1969)

Brandenburg test:

Quote:
The Brandenburg test was established in Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 US 444 (1969), to determine when inflammatory speech intending to advocate illegal action can be restricted. In the case, a KKK leader gave a speech at a rally to his fellow Klansmen, and after listing a number of derogatory racial slurs, he then said that "it's possible that there might have to be some revengeance [sic] taken." The test determined that the government may prohibit speech advocating the use of force or crime if the speech satisfies both elements of the two-part test:

1. The speech is “directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action,” AND
  2. The speech is “likely to incite or produce such action.”

Baldimo

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 04:45 pm
@old europe,
http://civil-rights.lawyers.com/civil-rights-basics/does-the-first-amendment-protect-hate-speech.html
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech#United_States

Quote:
This test has been modified very little from its inception in 1969 and the formulation is still good law in the United States. Only speech that poses an imminent danger of unlawful action, where the speaker has the intention to incite such action and there is the likelihood that this will be the consequence of his or her speech, may be restricted and punished by that law.

In R.A.V. v. City of St. Paul, (1992), the issue of banning hate speech arose again when a gang of white people burned a cross in the front yard of a black family. The local ordinance in St. Paul, Minnesota, criminalized such expressions considered racist and the teenager was charged thereunder. Associate Justice Antonin Scalia, writing for the Supreme Court, held that the prohibition against hate speech was unconstitutional as it contravened the First Amendment. The Supreme Court struck down the ordinance. Scalia explicated the fighting words exception as follows: “The reason why fighting words are categorically excluded from the protection of the First Amendment is not that their content communicates any particular idea, but that their content embodies a particularly intolerable (and socially unnecessary) mode of expressing whatever idea the speaker wishes to convey”.[91] Because the hate speech ordinance was not concerned with the mode of expression, but with the content of expression, it was a violation of the freedom of speech. Thus, the Supreme Court embraced the idea that speech in general is permissible unless it will lead to imminent violence.[92] The opinion noted "This conduct, if proved, might well have violated various Minnesota laws against arson, criminal damage to property", among a number of others, none of which was charged, including threats to any person, not to only protected classes.

In 2011, the Supreme Court issued their ruling on Snyder v. Phelps, which concerned the right of the Westboro Baptist Church to protest with signs found offensive by many Americans. The issue presented was whether the 1st Amendment protected the expressions written on the signs. In an 8–1 decision the court sided with Fred Phelps, the head of Westboro Baptist Church, thereby confirming their historically strong protection of freedom of speech, so long as it doesn't promote imminent violence. The Court explained, "speech deals with matters of public concern when it can 'be fairly considered as relating to any matter of political, social, or other concern to the community' or when it 'is a subject of general interest and of value and concern to the public."[93]

In June 2017, the Supreme Court affirmed in an unanimous decision on Matal v. Tam that the disparagement clause of the Lanham Act violates the First Amendment's free speech clause. The issue was about government prohibiting the registration of trademarks that are "racially disparaging". Justice Samuel Alito writes:

Speech that demeans on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, disability, or any other similar ground is hateful; but the proudest boast of our free speech jurisprudence is that we protect the freedom to express “the thought that we hate.” United States v. Schwimmer, 279 U. S. 644, 655 (1929) (Holmes, J., dissenting).[94]

Justice Anthony Kennedy also writes:

A law that can be directed against speech found offensive to some portion of the public can be turned against minority and dissenting views to the detriment of all. The First Amendment does not entrust that power to the government’s benevolence. Instead, our reliance must be on the substantial safeguards of free and open discussion in a democratic society.[94]

Effectively, the Supreme Court unanimously reaffirms that there is no 'hate speech' exception to the First Amendment.

You will have to tell me what about the speech used by the douche bags fit the criteria for the 1969 decision. Remember, just because we find what they said untasteful and ignorant, doesn't make it illegal or even "unprotected hate speech".
old europe

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 05:25 pm
@Baldimo,
I was citing Brandenburg v. Ohio since you were asking for a current held ruling that shows there is such a thing as "unprotected hate speech." While a lot of hate speech is protected, saying that

Baldimo wrote:
there is no such things as "unprotected hate speech"

seems pretty obviously false, since hate speech that fits the Brandenburg test is clearly unprotected.

It also seems that saying "freely made unprotected hate speech has consequences" - with unprotected used as a qualifier - is a correct statement. I don't know if any kind of Cantwell's hate speech will fit the Brandenburg test, but that is not a claim that was made.
snood

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 05:34 pm
@old europe,
Your intention was clear, and you clearly substantiated your assertion that there is indeed hate speech that is unprotected. Anyone suggesting that either your intention of your documentation was unclear is either disingenuous or stupid.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 05:41 pm
Trump must be the best president ever or this would not take place.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 05:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Just because you happen to disagree with Robinson doesn't make him an immoral journalist. And as far as immoral journalism goes, the Trump supporters have a lot to answer for. But by all means keep ranting.
Olivier5

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 05:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

snood wrote:

Some people still unfortunately seem to be operating under the misapprehension that questions about Trump's mental health and fitness for office are somehow a stretch.

Some people continue to make ridiculous and unsupported claims about his mental health. It is both unfortunate and odious.

Odious was to call an American president "Kenyan". That was pretty odious, and Trump did it for years despite evidence to the contrary.
glitterbag

Fri 25 Aug, 2017 06:13 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, am I supposed to be crushed???? Hahahahahahahahaha, go poo poo in your Stetson.

News flash, Trump has just pardoned Joe Arpaio.........you must be thrilled.
0 Replies