monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 08:11 pm
Quote:
EPA chief Scott Pruitt has given more interviews to Fox than to all other major TV networks combined
Pruitt shares the Trump administration’s preference for Fox News and right-wing media
MM

Of course he has. Fox is the key GOP propaganda organ and Pruitt, like many others in his party and like anyone with an authoritarian conception of government, will use that propaganda organ while generally refusing to appear anywhere else where they will be seriously challenged. There's no mystery in this.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Lash

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 08:24 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Come to think of it, I now remember you said that. I apologize.

This is the last time I will post in any political forum anywhere on the Internet. Needless to say, I'm not telling anyone else what to do. I'm just tired of politics, and I've experienced social media burnout. Besides, real-life concerns beckon; and my health is not good. I'm likely to post in nonpolitical topics, but not as often as I have lately.

Best regards to you and everyone else.

A man's word...
0 Replies

emmett grogan

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 08:56 pm

Donald Trump’s KKK connections go back to dad Fred’s arrest at Klan riot in 1927

BY
Adam Edelman
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Sunday, February 28, 2016, 5:54 PM

Racism reportedly runs in the family, when it comes to the Trump Klan.

Trump’s late father, Fred Trump, was arrested following a Ku Klux Klan riot in Queens in 1927, according to a bombshell report that further suggests unusual ties between the 2016 front-runner and the notorious white supremacist group.

Fred Trump Sr. was among seven men arrested following a May 30, 1927 brawl between members of the KKK and the New York Police Department, according to The Washington Post, which unearthed news articles from the June 1, 1927 edition of The New York Times.

The fights that broke out in Queens occurred after 1,000 KKK members dressed in white hooded robes marched through the Jamaica neighborhood.

According to The Post, the address of the elder Trump from the arrest report matched the Jamaica address where he lived, according to a 1930 Census.

Trump, who was born in the Bronx to German immigrants, would have been 21 at the time of the arrest. He later became a wealthy real estate developer and died in 1999.

The purpose of the KKK march that day was to rally “Native-born Protestant Americans” who felt targeted by “Roman Catholic police of New York City,” according to a flier advertising the protest obtained by The Post.

"Liberty and Democracy have been trampled upon," the flier stated, “when native-born Protestant Americans dare to organize to protect one flag, the American flag; one school, the public school; and one language, the English language."

Reports of the elder Trump’s involvement in the incident initially surfaced last August on tech blog Boing Boing.

When asked to comment Sunday on the latest details surrounding the incident, a spokeswoman for the Trump campaign sent a link to a story from September 2015 story in which the Republican mogul ardently rejected the report.

“He was never arrested. He has nothing to do with this. This never happened. This is nonsense and it never happened," Trump said about his father in the September 2015 article. "This never happened. Never took place. He was never arrested, never convicted, never even charged. It's a completely false, ridiculous story. He was never there! It never happened. Never took place."

The resurfacing of the report comes at an inopportune time for the bombastic billionaire, who last week received the endorsement of former KKK leader David Duke.

<snip> http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/donald-trump-kkk-connection-dad-klan-riot-arrest-article-1.2546656
0 Replies

emmett grogan

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 09:00 pm
@blatham,
We have a winner of the internet.
blatham

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 09:03 pm
@emmett grogan,
Pretty damned good, isn't it.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 09:06 pm
It is rather sobering to realize that the US may well be the least stable democracy in the English-speaking world.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 10:03 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I'm Bernie Latham and I approve of this tweet
Quote:
Connor‏ @RidleyScotch 4h4 hours ago
Replying to @jonfavs
Super callous fragile racist sexist Nazi POTUS

**** you for posting funny ****.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 10:05 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

As you usually do, you've demonstrated your ignorance of history. The British brought slavery to North America, and promoted it. The British at the end of the 18th century had no problem with any of the rebels being slave-owners, they just had a problem with them advocating national self-determination. Oops . . . usin' them big words again.

As usual, you missed what I said. I was referring to fighting against their own country... and they did own slaves...
Real Music

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 10:39 pm

Lawrence: What Donald Trump Doesn't Know About Robert E. Lee | The Last Word | MSNBC
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 16 Aug, 2017 12:38 am
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/08/alt-right-demonstrations-scheduled-for-9-cities-next-weekend.html

Appears that this is just getting started.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 16 Aug, 2017 01:28 am
This is what a president looks like.

Quote:
It may be President Trump's communication tool of choice - but it's a tweet by former President Barack Obama that has become the most liked in Twitter's history.
The tweet, the first in a series of three, quoted Nelson Mandela and was accompanied by a picture of Mr Obama smiling with a group of children from different racial backgrounds.
It has been liked almost three million times since it was posted on 13 August following the attack in Charlottesville, Virginia.
The milestone was reached at approximately 01:07 GMT, Twitter told the BBC.
It overtook a tweet posted by Ariana Grande expressing condolences after the Manchester terror attack in May.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40945096
izzythepush

Wed 16 Aug, 2017 01:35 am
Opinion piece on Steve Bannon, character and prospects.

Quote:
"We'll see" - with two words President Donald Trump has shovelled grist into Washington DC's rumour mill, which is filled with chatter that White House chief strategist Steve Bannon is a marked man. The so-called Trump whisperer has proved himself one of the administration's great survivors - so far.
Stephen Bannon, the chief White House strategist, is Death warmed up.
By that I mean the characterisation of him by the US comedy circuit - literally as "Death" - is in stark contrast to the persona he projects when you meet him privately.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40940931<br />
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 16 Aug, 2017 02:35 am
While America deals with Trump and Charlottesville back in the UK Daily Fail readers concern themselves with what's really important.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/0E0F/production/_97399530_mail.jpg
blatham

Wed 16 Aug, 2017 04:32 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
This is what a president looks like.
Yes. And it is what a truly good person thinks like.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 16 Aug, 2017 04:36 am
@izzythepush,
Well, Helen Mirren is quite possibly the sexiest woman who's ever lived. And that's less to do with her appearance than with her intelligence, her art and her integrity. If you've never seen this interview, watch it
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 16 Aug, 2017 05:13 am
While Trump's various pathologies grab media attention, the voter-suppression game is underway. TPM has a must-read piece of some of the scumbags involved in this project. Of all the things going on in the right wing universe, this is one of the most truly disgusting and dangerous. These people do not believe in democracy because it is an ideological and racial inconvenience. Link Here
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 16 Aug, 2017 05:19 am
@McGentrix,
I didn't miss what you said, I saw what you didn't. Whether or not they owned slaves is not the issue. Whether or not they fought against their own country is not the issue. (I doubt that weasel Jefferson ever fought against anything in his life.) Washington did not go to war to defend the institution of slavery. Lee and Jackson did. In fact, Jackson said more than once that they should "raise the black flag"--which means take no prisoners.

What you and President Plump seem not to understand is that important distinction about going to war to assure national self-determination (Washington) and going to war to preserve the institution of slavery. Although I suspect that an intelligent man like is just being obtuse, because you certainly don't need such a distinction explained to you. You seem to have this bizarre addiction to the most extreme conservative views, including the really stupid ones. You seem to take some perverse pleasure in defending President Plump, arguably the most ignorant, most inept and most clueless man ever to hold the office. The rest of us are not obliged to take you seriously when all you're doing is peddling a lame defense of a lame-brain president.
izzythepush

Wed 16 Aug, 2017 06:17 am
Even Despicable May has been roused from her supine slumber.

Quote:
Theresa May has said it is important to condemn far-right views "wherever we hear them" as she was asked about Donald Trump's response to clashes in the United States.
The PM said: "I see no equivalence between those who propound fascist views and those who oppose them."
The UK prime minister added: "I think it is important for all those in positions of responsibility to condemn far-right views wherever we hear them."
The violent clashes in Charlottesville culminated with a person being killed and many injured when a car hit people opposed to a far-right rally.
Asked about Mr Trump's response to the incidents, Mrs May said: "As I made clear at the weekend following the horrendous scenes that we saw in Charlottesville, I absolutely abhor the racism, the hatred and the violence that we have seen portrayed by these groups.
"The United Kingdom has taken action to ban far-right groups here, we have proscribed certain far-right groups here in the United Kingdom.
"And there is no equivalence."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40948414
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 16 Aug, 2017 06:18 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You seem to take some perverse pleasure in defending President Plump, arguably the most ignorant, most inept and most clueless man ever to hold the office.
This defense, and the commonness of it, is for me the most discouraging aspect of what we're seeing presently. One Jewish writer I read this week recounted how, when her parents were marched off to camps in Germany, many of the Nazis marching them off were their own classmates.
0 Replies