monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

roger

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 03:45 pm
@layman,

layman wrote:

Duke does kinda raise an interesting question, though. Why are black folk routinely referred to as "Afro-Americans," but immigrants from Europe are never called "Euro-Americans."

What's up with that?

If it makes you feel better, around here we are called Anglos - as if nothing existed except England.
layman

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 03:49 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

If it makes you feel better, around here we are called Anglos - as if nothing existed except England.

By whom, Rog? And where is "around here." Texas?
wmwcjr

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 03:51 pm
@layman,
You are to be commended for admitting such. I appreciate it. Thanks, I guess, for not calling me a cheese-eater . . .

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1mgKksh-044/UTcIPTQTSbI/AAAAAAAAScc/WCkhA_PAzy8/s1600/mouse-cheese_07.jpg

. . . although I've been known to nibble a few times.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 03:54 pm
@roger,
I think it's just another racist case of "they all look the same to me," eh, Rog?

As if everyone is Africa is the same. You don't hear much about "Nigerian-Americans," or 'Sudanese-Americans." You still hear phrases like "Italian-Americans," and "Anglo-Americans," though.

Like Africa, Europe is an entire continent, but we don't lump them all together. We make distinctions by country.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 03:57 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
. . . I hope you are all fine.

The two daughters are doing extremely well -- both happily married and one expecting a baby in late December. My wife has health issues, but she's coping quite well. My own health has become progressively worse in the last five years. I'll tell you more about it in a PM.
layman

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 04:04 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Not something I would normally do, of course, but on this topic, I gotta duty to spread propaganda to counter that of the cheese-eaters, know what I'm sayin?

Like this kinda **** from Wapo, ya know?:

Quote:
Counterprotesters held “Black Lives Matter” signs and placards expressing support for equality and love as they faced rallygoers who waved Confederate flags and posters that said “the Goyim know,” referring to non-Jewish people, and “the Jewish media is going down.”

I can't recite them from memory, but I saw some ugly-ass, hateful signs being displayed by the thugs, I know that. They weren't all about "love" as Wapo tries to suggest. And they sho nuff weren't all just sittin around singin rounds of Kumbaya, either.
0 Replies

roger

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 04:54 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

roger wrote:

By whom, Rog? And where is "around here." Texas?

Texas is probably the same. I'm in NW NM - just to save the trouble of checking the profile.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 05:09 pm
@wmwcjr,
Thank you.
Anyone reading here knows we differ but are fine with talking, and appreciate each other for it.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 05:48 pm
Three people have died in the riots today as a result of the white nationalist demonstration in Charlottesville, Virginia.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 06:00 pm
I think there's a bit more to Charlottesville than the echo chamber here will cop to--the bulk of the political left has locked up their narrative on the matter.

I think groups should be allowed to protest--but they should be monitored and arrested when they tip their toes into hate speech (threatening or advocating violence against anyone).

The fact is--some of these people, rightly or wrongly--want to express upset about a statue that means something to them being removed. That expression could have been allowed without incident--and then, the goddam statue could've been removed.

But in this time, antifa protesters show up, spray chemicals in people's faces, have weapons, hide their faces and otherwise physically assault people rather than allow them their right to self-expression.

The presence and behavior of the counter protesters was a factor in the violence.

The car attack was one guy.
Real Music

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 06:02 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Ask any cheese-eater what a confederate flag or statue of Robert E. Lee "stands for," and they will quickly tell you that it stands for only one thing: Racism and Slavery.

Ask a typical southerner what it "stands for" and they will tell you it symbolizes the courage, selfless sacrifice, and determination to resist oppression of their honored ancestors, of whom they are rightly proud.

The cheese-eaters will not accept this. Something can only mean what THEY tell you it means.

Since you seem to know what a typical southerner thinks, I have a couple of questions for you. What does a typical southerner think a person wearing a white hooded KKK robe symbolizes? What does a typical southerner think a burning cross symbolizes?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 06:02 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Personally, I would have stayed away since there was likely to be violence. Whenever there are hotheads on both sides, there's likely to be violence.

Besides, freedom of speech is (or should be) for everyone. For what it's worth (which, in the scheme of things, isn't much), I agree with maxdancona's latest posts about freedom of speech.

By the way, counterprotesters have just as much right to speak out.

Everyone has the right to speak their mind in this country and it's a right that needs to guarded and preserved all of the time. I don't have much use for the ACLU, but than can usually be relied upon to take the correct side of free speech cases, and I appreciate them for that.

There are hotheads on both sides and people need to be very careful that they don't makes excuses for or defend the hotheads that can be identified with theirside; and who resort to violence at these times. The people who line up a few feet from each other and hurl taunts and insults at each other are mirror images of one another. They are energized by rage and excited by violence. No matter what the merits of the cause they seek to advance, if their actions are violent they cannot be excused or permitted to escape without consequence.

You can't take away someone's freedom or rights with words alone, but you can with violence or the the realistic threat of it. No adult needs to be protected from words
layman

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 06:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Typically when an "unpopular" group, such as the Nazi party in Skokie, Illinois, is issued a permit to stage a protest march, it is the duty of the police to protect that unpopular minority from the crowd which opposes them. According to many, that effort was not made here.

All the rhetoric from the politicians seems to condemn the protesters as horrible people, which is a subtle way of encouraging, or at least condoning, violence against them. They "deserve" it, ya know?

One can only conclude that they "took sides," and sided with the antifa thugs in this case. The net effect is to limit, not promote, free speech. The whole licensed demonstration was shut down, further encouraging such suppression in the future.

The same thing happened at Berkeley, where a scheduled speech was shut down due to violence by criminals which was merely passively observed by the cops, with no real effort being made to curtail the violence by thugs.

Across America, universities are prohibiting speeches by members of the right due to "security" concerns. If you allow the threat of violence by criminals to curtail speech, then there will be no free speech.

That's a big problem here, in my view. It's akin to Alabama police allowing attack dogs to maul black civil rights marchers in the '60's. I'm sure there were a few who thought the uppity blacks "deserved" it, but those types were uniformly condemned by virtually all rational people. I don't see that happening here. The criminal left is allowed to run wild, and the response is simply to condemn anyone they have attacked.

That said, I gotta fess up: I hate Illinois Nazis:

wmwcjr

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 06:48 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
But in this time, antifa protesters show up, spray chemicals in people's faces, have weapons, hide their faces and otherwise physically assault people rather than allow them their right to self-expression.

Ironically, these "anti-fascist" individuals act just like fascists. After all, one of the goals of Hitler's Brown Shirts in the 1920s and early '30s was to prevent their opponents from being heard.

Lash wrote:
The presence and behavior of the counter protesters was a factor in the violence.

I'm sure that some, if not many, of the counter-demonstrators were not antifa or otherwise violent. An investigation should be carried out to find out who did what. There have been all sorts of counter-demonstrators regarding other controversies who have not been violent. Loud maybe, but not violent.

Lash wrote:
The car attack was one guy.

He killed three people (according to the latest report) who, as far as I know, were counter-demonstrators.
layman

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 06:52 pm
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
I'm sure that some, if not many, of the counter-demonstrators were not antifa or otherwise violent. An investigation should be carried out to find out who did what. There have been all sorts of counter-demonstrators regarding other controversies who have not been violent. Loud maybe, but not violent.

Not really, Bill. Violence incited and practiced by thugs, whose stated goal is to prohibit demonstrations in support of Trump, has occurred all across the country. Their motto is "relentless resistance by any means necessary." In virtually every case, the MSM implicitly takes the side of the thugs.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 07:13 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
. . . Alabama police allowing attack dogs to maul black civil rights marchers in the '60's. I'm sure there were a few who thought the uppity blacks "deserved" it, but those types were uniformly condemned by virtually all rational people.

I'm sorry to disillusion you, layman; but the civil rights movement was condemned by many leading conservatives (such as Phyllis Schafly), who sided with the segregationists (who were conservatives themselves). They hated Martin Luther King Jr. (I ought to remember. I'm 67 years old. I lived through the period. I remember the reaction of many of my high-school classmates when he was assassinated. A few of them supported George Wallace. Most of them were Republicans. I saw less glee when school was let out for summer that year.) The John Birch Society, a conservative group, claimed that the civil rights movement was a Communist conspiracy planned in the Kremlin. My sister was a college student in the early to the mid '60s. She was eventually publicly denounced by the JBH as a Communist. The reasons for their utterly false accusation? (1) She and a college friend of hers had launched a petition to the national headquarters of their sorority urging them to drop their racist bylaws against blacks and Jews, and (2) She participated in a peaceful, nonviolent demonstration against the largest employer in the college town for their "Whites only" hiring practices. As for me, I consider neither (1) or (2) to be an offense. Actually, she deserves a medal. (By the way, I wonder how many conservatives who oppose "affirmative action" ever objected to "Whites only" hiring practices.) I could go on and on. Sorry, but that's the history of your chosen movement. (As for me, I no longer have a chosen movement!) This is one reason why some people are "cheese-eaters."
glitterbag

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 07:20 pm
@wmwcjr,
Cheese is good for you, builds strong bones, teeth and character. Don't apologize for proper nutrition. Just ignore the little boy bully's, they are desperate for respect, and they are clueless on how to acquire it.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 07:22 pm
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
. . . those types were uniformly condemned by virtually all rational people.

That was not true. Whenever I hear a conservative today pay tribute to MLK, I feel like throwing up! They hated the guy when he was alive!
layman

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 07:22 pm
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
He killed three people (according to the latest report) who, as far as I know, were counter-demonstrators.

I think that's right, Bill. It was an "alt.right" (a meaningless term, really, designed by the left to cast those they disagree with into an extremist pot) guy a plowing into a crowd of "counter-protesters." They were, it's reported, celebrating their "victory" in getting the planned protest cancelled, when they got run down.

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way condoning what that terrorist did. But I can also see why someone would be infuriated by a crowd celebrating the fact that their civil rights were effectively violated.

So, again, I will say that the failure to control violent suppressors of free speech does not "solve" the problem of right-wing extremists. On the contrary, it reinforces their sense of victimhood. This whole climate of violent opposition is what needs to be suppressed, not unpopular speech, aka "hate speech" among the left-wing fanatics.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 12 Aug, 2017 07:25 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Quote:
. . . those types were uniformly condemned by virtually all rational people.

That was not true. Whenever I hear a conservative today pay tribute to MLK, I feel like throwing up! They hated the guy when he was alive!

Me too, what hypocrites.
0 Replies