monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 06:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Cool! That should pass easily, I figure:

Quote:
Miller was at the briefing in support of the Raise Act, a Senate bill that would cut immigration by half over ten years and represent the most significant immigration reform in over half a century.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 06:08 pm
Meanwhile, back at the farm..

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/02/donald-trump-sam-clovis-old-blog-progressives-obama
0 Replies

layman

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 06:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Rude Jim Acosta is out of his league with Miller.

Since when is press briefing decorum to continuously interrupt the WH speaker?

It's pretty damn clear that Acosta sees himself as some sort of Resistance hero rather than an objective journalist.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/02/move-over-trump-miller-takes-out-fake-news-new-york-times-and-cnn/

You're right that Acosta is over-matched, Finn, but I think Miller mishandled the exchange to a degree, too. At some point, I wish he'd taken the Trump approach and just said "Shut the **** up, ya rude bastard," rather than indulge the interruptions as much as he did.

Ask your question, then let the guy answer. Acosta sees every "question" as a platform for him to take over the press conference for an indefinite duration and dominate it with his warped, cheese-eating views.

It's not only rude to the speaker, it is also quite inconsiderate of others who also have questions.
Real Music

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 07:34 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Well, I have been wondering if the Russian thing is worth keeping Sessions. He is setting back civil rights/affirmative action and any progress in police reform; not to mention asset forfeiture. So, in an odd about face, I am coming to think Trump getting rid of Sessions and appointing a new attorney general won't be bad thing. It will make conservative republicans mad and Sessions is a horrible Attorney General.
I don't want anyone to think that I support Attorney General Jeff Sessions. Actually, I strongly oppose Jeff Sessions in so many ways. As a Senator and as the Attorney General, Jeff Sessions has demonstrated repeatedly his willingness to roll back and abolish voter rights and civil rights. It's not just his stands and actions against voter rights and civil rights. There are many more reasons I oppose Jeff Sessions. The list of reasons I oppose Jeff Sessions is very long. We are now in a catch-22 dilemma. If Sessions were to resign, Trump will surely appoint an Attorney General who will definitely fire Mueller. I would hope that the republican congress would not allow that to occur without severe consequences. But, you never know.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 07:48 pm
This dude really is one of the slimiest around
Quote:
Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach is seeking to avoid answering questions under oath about two documents containing plans for changes to U.S. election law.

Kobach, who is also vice chairman of Trump's Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity, filed a notice late Monday saying he is appealing to the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals an order to submit to a deposition by the American Civil Liberties Union in a voting rights case. The closed deposition is scheduled for Thursday.

...Two federal judges in Kansas have each twice ruled the Kansas Republican misled the court about the contents of documents he was photographed taking into a November meeting with then President-elect Donald Trump as well as a separate draft amendment to the National Voter Registration Act. Kobach was holding the document at his side with the print facing out so photographs made it possible to read part of what was written on it.

The court fined Kobach $1,000 and ordered him to testify about the documents.
AP
blatham

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 07:55 pm
Quote:
Just 33 percent of Americans approve of President Donald Trump nationwide, the lowest approval numbers that have been seen since his inauguration, according to a new Quinnipiac poll released Wednesday. Sixty-one percent of American voters disapprove of Trump, according to the poll.
TPM
That's the lowest figure of the polling operations. Go to Real Clear Politics to see the others and their cumulative graph.
layman

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 08:27 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Just 33 percent of Americans approve of President Donald Trump nationwide, the lowest approval numbers that have been seen since his inauguration, according to a new Quinnipiac poll released Wednesday. Sixty-one percent of American voters disapprove of Trump, according to the poll.
TPM
That's the lowest figure of the polling operations. Go to Real Clear Politics to see the others and their cumulative graph.

OK, I did that, and, come to find out, that particular poll shows, by far, the lowest rating. The next lowest (Gallup, which is almost always the absolute lowest) is 36%. 3 are 40% or more, and the average is over 38%. I wonder why you, and the rag you cite, didn't choose to emphasize the highest approval numbers, rather than the lowest, eh?

Of course you didn't quote this part of the story either:

Quote:
Republicans are still standing by their party’s pick, though, with 76 percent of those who identify with the GOP saying they’re happy with Trump.

You do the math, eh? Sounds like there were a lot more non-republicans polled here than republicans. Surprise, surprise, this poll sample is then identified as "Americans."
0 Replies

snood

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 08:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

This is the list snood has been frothing to post since he tried to get me to take his bait. Wasn't worth the wait. Very Happy

You flatter yourself. Had nothing to do with you and your ass backwards delusions. I cut and pasted that list from the article in revellette's post immediately preceding mine. I posted it to disabuse anyone of the impression they may have gotten from her post - that Trump accomplished a lot.
He has done nothing but try to tear down an actual president's work. That's why, when called upon to defend him with something substantive (like facts), you resort to the written equivalent of throwing your feces like an angered chimp. Don't look now hero, but your mango Mussolini leader is unraveling like a cheap sock.
ossobucotemp

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 08:46 pm
@snood,
Mango Mussolini - I can see that. I once read at length about Mussolini, but that was at least 25 or thirty years ago - several books, including an old very early one re him. Of course there are differences, but I get your observation.
I still have the books, but they're packed away.
blatham

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 09:05 pm
@blatham,
Re Kobach's attempt to avoid deposition under oath, the appeals court denied his motion. Politico Good.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 09:10 pm
God these people are scum. There is no integrity here whatsoever.
Quote:
the president told The Wall Street Journal in an interview last week that he "got a call from the head of the Boy Scouts saying it was the greatest speech that was ever made to them.”

Quote:
"I wouldn't say it was a lie," Sanders told reporters at the daily briefing, after one journalist asked whether the president had lied by describing the conversation as a phone call. "That's a pretty bold accusation. The conversations took place. They just simply didn't take place over a phone call. ... He had them in person."

Quote:
She gave a similar explanation about a phone call Trump said Monday he'd had with the president of Mexico about the United States' border policies. Mexico said the call never happened. Sanders said Trump was actually referring to a conversation the two leaders had at the G-20 summit in Germany last month.
Politico
0 Replies

layman

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 09:11 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
I think Miller mishandled the exchange to a degree, too.

But, to give credit where credit is due, Miller didn't mince words when he claimed that one of Acosta's statements was "one of the most outrageous, insulting, ignorant, and foolish things you've ever said."
blatham

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 09:13 pm
Quote:
“I'm not sure about any potential funding of a campaign,” Sanders said in response to a question about an excerpt from Flake’s book, published by POLITICO Magazine, that was critical of Trump. “But I think that Sen. Flake would serve his constituents much better if he was less focused on writing a book and attacking the president" and more involved in "passing legislation.”
Politico Nothing authoritarian in that language. Nothing at all.
0 Replies

snood

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 09:16 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Mango Mussolini - I can see that. I once read at length about Mussolini, but that was at least 25 or thirty years ago - several books, including an old very early one re him. Of course there are differences, but I get your observation.
I still have the books, but they're packed away.

I didn't coin the term.
ossobucotemp

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 09:24 pm
@snood,
I'll enjoy it anyway..
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 09:27 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

layman wrote:
I think Miller mishandled the exchange to a degree, too.

But, to give credit where credit is due, Miller didn't mince words when he claimed that one of Acosta's statements was "one of the most outrageous, insulting, ignorant, and foolish things you've ever said."

You're right, Miller is a complete dolt with no respect for the American people. I think the tip-off was his use of Cosmopolitan, he might as well have called Costa a know-it-all smarty pants intellectual. I believe that's the phrase most dull-witted people use when they are angered by folks they suspect are smarter than they are. What puzzles me, is that Miller could be as well informed as Costa, but he's lazy and he's just there to prop up Trumps insatiable need for uninterrupted flattery and faux admiration. But Trump is a glutton, there will never be enough until he sucks all the joy out of our country....all that will be left is the authoritarian groupies who are so deluded they think Trump's fickle ire would ever be directed towards them.
layman

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 09:34 pm
@glitterbag,
After that grandstanding, I expect Acosta to once again be kicked out of all WH briefings.

Next will be the whole damn crew he works for, CNN, the Candyass News Network.
blatham

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 09:44 pm
Is the man insane? Is he corrupt? It's really difficult to find the right terminology to describe this guy.

Trump, the President of the United States, has spent far more time - FAR MORE TIME - criticizing Hillary Clinton, the American media, the American House, the American Senate... he has spent FAR more time criticizing his own administration (leaks!) and even his own Attorney General than he has spent criticizing Putin, the deeply corrupt circumstances of the Russian government and Russia's broad and sustained campaign to influence the last American election.

Then today, nearly a week after legislation (supported by an overwhelming majority in the House and Senate) overruling his opposition to sanctions on Russia arrived at his desk, he reluctantly signed the bill. He wrote a signing statement. Here's the last graph...
Quote:
I built a truly great company worth many billions of dollars. That is a big part of the reason I was elected. As President, I can make far better deals with foreign countries than Congress.
glitterbag

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 09:45 pm
@layman,
Isn't thats what's happening right now in Venezuela? Oh, sorry....I keep forgetting about your limitations.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 09:48 pm
Quote:
GOP Pulls in $75M in Trump's First 6 Months, Double Obama's First 6 Months

The Republican National Committee is touting some big fundraising numbers bolstered by President Trump's appeal with his base, including small donors.

"Our base loves the president," RNC chair Ronna Romney McDaniel said this morning. She said Trump's persistence on replacing ObamaCare is an example of Trump showing that he'll fight for those who support him.

"Why should Washington give up on health care relief when Americans are still hurting," she asked.

Forget Obama, they're bringing in 7 times what the failing Democratic party can manage to scrape up.

Good luck, cheese-eaters.