monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

georgeob1

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 10:14 am
@ehBeth,
Is Canada a Democracy in your view?
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 10:15 am
Jeff Sessions is now moving to curtail the victimization of whites in college admissions. This is a fresh and exciting new idea on the right in America and it is surely long past due. I, for one, am tired of seeing african americans getting all the benefits of the inappropriate access to power and privilege that the civil rights movement has facilitated - at the expense of whites! Enough is enough.

Just take a look at this recent photograph of the White House interns. Tell me it doesn't just make you sick down to the bottom of your white soul. Go Jeff, go!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGMf8iyXsAASRny.jpg:large

0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 10:24 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

maporsche wrote:

How common George?

Millions of cases? Thousands? Dozens?

I don't know the total number. From the cases I've encountered directly it likely amounts to hundreds every year. This all stems from a policy change announced about seven years ago regarding EPA's claimed jurisdiction under the Clean Water Act, though the enforcement actions I've observed have embraced the full spectrum of environmental regulation.

There are many far more serious environmental issues out there, still unresolved, that get about the same level of attention from this rather complacent and slow moving bureaucracy. Happily this dilemma is a primary focus of the new EPA Administrator, who seeks both the end of this nonsense and an acceleration of the completion of superfund cleanups.

I'm happy if the cleanups happen faster.

I'm not going to be thrilled if this simply means that corporate/industry waste does not get cleaned up properly though.

Do you think that's likely?
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 10:30 am
@revelette1,
Well, if you watch the video of the speech you'll find the audience loved it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 10:34 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

maporsche wrote:

How common George?

Millions of cases? Thousands? Dozens?

I don't know the total number. From the cases I've encountered directly it likely amounts to hundreds every year. This all stems from a policy change announced about seven years ago regarding EPA's claimed jurisdiction under the Clean Water Act, though the enforcement actions I've observed have embraced the full spectrum of environmental regulation.

There are many far more serious environmental issues out there, still unresolved, that get about the same level of attention from this rather complacent and slow moving bureaucracy. Happily this dilemma is a primary focus of the new EPA Administrator, who seeks both the end of this nonsense and an acceleration of the completion of superfund cleanups.

For some reason, the Left grew tired of toxic waste dumps. Probably because the plaintiff's bar had drained them dry of settlements and verdicts.
georgeob1

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 10:44 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I'm happy if the cleanups happen faster.

I'm not going to be thrilled if this simply means that corporate/industry waste does not get cleaned up properly though.

Do you think that's likely?

Well, most of the population of Los Angeles has been drinking from the discharge of water treatment systems for the groundwater underlying the city for several decades now. Many of these plumes are very large with pore volumes ( the liquid volume of the plume) measured in cubic miles. Normally such systems operate by taking suction from one end of the plume and reinjecting the treated water at the other end, to create an hydraulic flow concentrating the remaining contaminants at the point of suction removal. In California the reinjection of groundwater is forbidden due to the (non harmful) concentrations of a natural element, selenium, in it. The result is that these systems will operate for many decades more as the contamination accessible at the suction point declines asymptotically (and very slowly) in them. Very large costs are involved and the process is exceedingly inefficient. Oddly this does not appear to concern EPA at all.

The new EPA Administrator has announced his intent to address such problems as they relate to the Superfund, however many of these issues involve negotiated solutions paid for by those responsible. Gridlock among Federal and State regulators appears to be the main culprit. Such things are the hallmark of bureaucracies.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 10:44 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
When you know nothing of what you speak, you continue to practice your right of free speech to spread the "lternative facts" youve jut posted. All these regs that you seem to disparage were passed under a Republican regime and were strengthened by the next GOP mini regime.

It not a Dem /GOP thing anyway. The cleanup industry is represented by both sides and we all see that its the Insurance Industry that controls the reigns.

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 10:45 am
http://hotair.com/archives/2017/08/01/hot-take-trump-using-term-paddy-wagon-offensive-irish-americans/?utm_source=hadaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl

Finally Micks have been accepted into the American Victim Class! (BTW as an Irish-American, I get to use "Mick." It's our word now and you non-Micks can't have it back!)

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 10:55 am
@farmerman,
Wake up on the wrong side of the web?

Once again, you found something to bitch at me for that isn't contained in my comments.

Quote:
All these regs that you seem to disparage...

Just how did you extract that from what I wrote? I'm about as fully supportive of toxic waste regs as I can be.

Perhaps the Left is still inflamed by toxic waste dumps, but I've seen no evidence of that being the case. They've moved on to Climate Change and saving locally endangered species.

Unfortunately for plaintiff lawyers there's no money in litigation involving snail darters but I'm sure they are working overtime trying to figure out the best way to extract billions in relation to Climate Change.

If the insurance industry has any control of the reins, it's because it has been funding the clean up for decades.

0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 11:06 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Finally Micks have been accepted into the American Victim Class! (BTW as an Irish-American, I get to use "Mick." It's our word now and you non-Micks can't have it back!)

Not victims at all ! I do recall the Nuns in my grade school, in a then very ethnic Detroit, implying that there were two kinds of people in the world: Irish Catholics and poor, unfortunate others who desperately wished they were. By the time I found out that wasn't the case. I no longer gave a damn.

I also recall asking a Nun if Protestants could go to heaven. After a moment's thought she said "Yes they can.... if they're very good".
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 11:06 am
Must read!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/01/opinion/womens-march-progressives-hate.html
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 11:08 am
And yet another Must Read!

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/08/01/emails-show-collusion-squashing-seattle-minimum-wage-story/?utm_source=hadaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 01:32 pm
Trump Has Quietly Accomplished More Than It Appears (The Atlantic)
snood

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 02:11 pm
@revelette1,
Okay, just to keep things in perspective - "accomplishments" are definitely in the eye of the beholder, in Cheetolini's case. Here is the list of "accomplishments", taken directly from your article:

Withdrew from the Paris climate accord.

Worked to dismantle Barack Obama’s Clean Power Plan, a signature policy aimed at reducing greenhouse-gas emissions.

Rescinded the 2015 Waters of the United States rule, which aimed at protecting smaller bodies of water and streams.

Worked to undo the ban on drilling in the Arctic and parts of the Atlantic Ocean.

Worked to clear the way for the Keystone XL pipeline to begin construction.
Rolled back a ban on coal mining on public lands.

Strengthened the federal government’s power of civil-asset forfeiture.

Reversed Obama-era policy by encouraging prosecutors to pursue the harshest sentences for low-level drug offenses.

Sought to cut off funding to so-called sanctuary cities.

Justice Department announced that sexual orientation was not covered by Section VII.

Said that transgender people would not be allowed to serve in the military.

Working to peel back parts of the Dodd-Frank financial-regulation law and undermine the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau.

Wotta leader.
ossobucotemp

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 02:45 pm
@revelette1,
gaaaaah!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 03:09 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Not victims at all ! I do recall the Nuns in my grade school, in a then very ethnic Detroit, implying that there were two kinds of people in the world: Irish Catholics and poor, unfortunate others who desperately wished they were. By the time I found out that wasn't the case. I no longer gave a damn.

I also recall asking a Nun if Protestants could go to heaven. After a moment's thought she said "Yes they can.... if they're very good".

True. The Irish have been victimized over nine centuries, but never adopted a status of victim, but they are certainly clever enough to reap whatever benefits might come from American liberals in the 21st Century bestowing it upon them.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 03:13 pm
@snood,
This is the list snood has been frothing to post since he tried to get me to take his bait. Wasn't worth the wait. Very Happy
georgeob1

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 03:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
More importantly they have a taste for the ironies evident in all our lives and the ability to see the humor that often lies in it - things that are often missing in contemporary discourse, particularly on threads such as this.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 03:16 pm
@georgeob1,
Amen
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 03:44 pm
Rude Jim Acosta is out of his league with Miller.

Since when is press briefing decorum to continuously interrupt the WH speaker?

It's pretty damn clear that Acosta sees himself as some sort of Resistance hero rather than an objective journalist.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/02/move-over-trump-miller-takes-out-fake-news-new-york-times-and-cnn/