monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 11:00 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
Republican Senator says this is The Beginning of the End of the Trump Presidency

Kinda strange that as biased and distorted as it is, this video does NOT say what you claim it says, eh?
old europe

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 11:01 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
It says Trump has excellent judgment. Mooch accomplished the necessary results. He got first Spicer, then Priebus, to resign (which is better, politically speaking, than firing them).

I love how you're making the exact argument they were ridiculing over on redstate.com:

Quote:
Cult Of Trump Already Spinning Scaramucci Embarrassment As Strategic Brilliance

During any Trump administration dust up, you can easily tell who the serious people are and who are just cheerleaders. Hiring Anthony Scaramucci as White House Comms Director and giving him a ride on your boot within the span of 2 weeks is an embarrassment in and of itself. That Scaramucci made himself appear certifiably insane while talking to a reporter was just icing on the cake.

http://i.imgur.com/DG4t51Q.png

Still, there are people who will make every effort to force the observable facts to conform to their personally chosen reality. Everything Trump does is a brilliant strategic decision that is countless moves ahead of his opponents. Barack Obama’s cult of personality has nothing on Trump’s. The capacity for self delusion is not limited to one party.

Mooch’s only purpose was to help Trump get away with firing people on his staff without it being traceable to him? That is some courageous leadership.

Jim Hoft’s follower is asserting that President Trump used Scarramucci as a pawn. Trump let his friend sell his company and destroy his marriage, just so he could be used briefly as cover for firing Reince Preibus without angering the Republican “establishment.”

Remember, Trump was sold to us as someone who would not be intimidated by the establishment. Now he’s devising byzantine plots which sacrifice his friends for no other reason than to avoid getting the establishment mad.

I don’t doubt that morally Trump has the capacity to use his friends like that but is he really that afraid of the establishment Republicans who can’t even do something they’ve promised to do for seven years?
layman

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 11:06 pm
@old europe,
Tell them chumps I got their "ridicule" right here, eh?
0 Replies

Real Music

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 11:42 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Kinda strange that as biased and distorted as it is, this video does NOT say what you claim it says, eh?
I stand corrected. It should have read "Republican Senator says there will be holy hell to pay at any effort to go after Mueller could be the beginning of the end of the Trump presidency."

I hope that is accurate enough for you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 01:16 am
Quote:
President Donald Trump personally dictated the statement his son gave on his talks with a Russian lawyer during the election campaign, US media report.
It said Donald Trump Jr and the lawyer had mostly discussed the adoption of Russian children in June 2016.
Mr Trump Jr later revealed he had agreed to meet her after being told he could receive damaging material on Hillary Clinton.
President Trump has repeatedly denied any collusion with Russia.
The Senate, House of Representatives and a special counsel are all investigating alleged Russian interference in the presidential election which took the form of attempts to undermine Mrs Clinton - a claim denied by the Kremlin.
Reports that President Trump had himself dictated the statement his son issued about the meeting with lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya first emerged in the Washington Post. It cited multiple sources.
ABC News later quoted "two senior-level sources" as confirming this claim.
President Trump's advisers initially agreed that Mr Trump Jr would release a statement that "couldn't be repudiated later if the full details emerged", the Post says.
But it says that decision was reversed as President Trump was flying home from the G20 summit in Germany on 8 July.
In the statement, Mr Trump Jr said the meeting had "primarily discussed a programme about the adoption of Russian children", not campaign issues.
The statement was issued to the New York Times, as it was preparing its story on the meeting.
Mr Trump Jr later acknowledged that he had agreed to meet after being told Kremlin-linked information about Mrs Clinton would be offered during the talks.
He also released the email exchange that brought about the meeting.
Neither President Trump nor his son have commented on the latest media reports.
The Washington Post says some of the president's advisers fear the extent of the president's intervention could place him and some of his inner circle in legal jeopardy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40786411
0 Replies

lmur

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 04:54 am
@izzythepush,
In the interests of balance...

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0731/894136-sunday-times-kevin-myers/
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 06:07 am
So the Mooch is out??? 10 days into the job and boom, you're fired. Turds are flying faster and faster.
Lash

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 06:19 am
He reportedly sold a lucrative business and suffered the departure of his wife for Trump.

Trump appears to be a pretty heinous boss--among other things.

Scaramouche should never have been hired.

Trump is floundering badly.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 06:21 am
@Olivier5,
Yes. He was let go because his comments in the New Yorker interview were - according to WH spokesperson Sanders - "colorful". She then made the huge leap to describing the comments as "inappropriate". She doesn't mince words, that lady.

And as we all know, this White House and this President will not, as a matter of personal integrity and respect for the office, abide the inappropriate.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 06:52 am
Steve Benen addresses the editorial/excerpt from Flake's new book and makes some important points:
Quote:
It took courage for the senator to write a provocative piece like this, and I’m glad it’s generating conversation. But as powerful as Flake’s words are, it’s not unreasonable to ask when, and whether, the Arizona Republican intends to back up the talk with action.

Towards the end of Flake’s Politico piece, for example, he put forward three recommendations for his party: (1) be willing to criticize Trump when the president does damage to “the Republican Party’s ability to grow and speak to a larger audience”; (2) honor the GOP’s long-standing free-trade commitments; and (3) “stand up for institutions and prerogatives, like the Senate filibuster.”

To put it charitably, this is a weak response to a political crisis. Flake seems to recognize the poison eating away at his party, but his proposed antidote is, at best, underwhelming.

And therein lies the problem. Flake’s warnings are compelling, and almost certainly sincere, but is he the best messenger for this message? The senator believes his party is in denial about the dangers Trump poses, but he’s nevertheless voted with Trump’s position more than 95% of the time this year, and there’s little to suggest Flake has used his office to push for new checks or limits on the White House.
Benen
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 07:08 am
Ryan Lizza on Scaramucci and Kelly
Quote:
...The idea that all of Trump’s problems are communications failures that can be easily fixed, or the result of the West Wing’s warring factions, is absurd. The problems of this White House run far deeper, and start with Trump himself. But surely he could have communications professionals who don’t make things even worse.

On Wednesday night, Scaramucci told me, “What I’m going to do is I’m going to eliminate everyone on the comms team and we’ll start over.” He did not know how prescient he was.
NYer
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 07:22 am
The New York Review of Books has a terrific piece up by Elizabeth Drew. It's a long read but well worth it
The End of the End of Obamacare
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 08:04 am
More on Sinclair as propaganda enterprise
Quote:
Sinclair’s Boris Epshteyn celebrates Anthony Scaramucci’s “new approach” and “fresh perspective” for Trump’s White House
Scaramucci, one day earlier: “I’m not Steve Bannon, I’m not trying to suck my own cock”

...Sinclair’s openly pro-Trump corporate offices mandate that every “Bottom Line with Boris” segment run on all of its 173 television news stations in 33 states and the District of Columbia. Anchors at individual local news stations owned by Sinclair are seemingly not required to introduce the segments in any particular way before running them -- employees at at least one station have said they try to run the segments along with commercials “so they blend in with paid spots.” This means that, unlike the online transcript at WJLA’s website, the segments themselves have no built-in disclosure that Epshteyn was until recently employed by the same White House he now regularly lavishes with on-air praise.

Epshteyn has been producing 60- to 90-second commentary segments several times a week since he joined Sinclair as its chief political analyst in April. Earlier in July, Sinclair announced it would be upping Epshteyn’s segments from airing three times per week to nine times per week.
MM
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 08:30 am
Ever wonder why you have to dust so damned often? This piece from Nature.com explains:
Quote:
Half of our Galaxy’s matter comes from far, far away
Intergalactic winds bring material from other galaxies to ours.
revelette1

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 09:26 am
I know izzypush already has a post on this from BBC, but the following is a link of the same from WP with a few more details.

Trump dictated son’s misleading statement on meeting with Russian lawyer
farmerman

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 09:29 am
@blatham,
what about dust bunnies?? Are there intergalactic Rabbits?
izzythepush

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 09:31 am
@revelette1,
It's always better to go to the original source, and when you're talking about Trump, ninety nine times out of a hundred that source will be American and not the BBC.

A lot of breaking news story about Trump start off with "American media reports...."
izzythepush

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 09:33 am
@farmerman,
Yeah, they listen to music like this.

0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 09:39 am
@izzythepush,
Ok, I was just justifying posting an article which you already posted about. I feel the need to justify myself before any comments...my problem. Anywho.. didn't mean any slight.