monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 04:47 pm
@snood,
Laughing
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 04:58 pm
Kelly called Comey to express anger over firing (CNN)
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 05:18 pm
@revelette1,
Oh wow! That's significant, assuming even that the sources familiar with the matter can be believed.
blatham

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 05:22 pm
@ehBeth,
You've been following Flake more closely than I. Possibly you even knew he was born in Snowflake, Arizona which I'm sure is a fine little town.
blatham

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 05:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Kushner wanted Scaramucci.
I haven't seen that in the reporting I read. Do you recall source?
maporsche

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 05:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Oh wow! That's significant, assuming even that the sources familiar with the matter can be believed.

Finn, I'm coming over to your side of things. From now on I'll only trust official statements, press briefings, direct quotes on video, and of course whatever Trump tweets. Literally nothing else is trustworthy. I'm only going to believe exactly what the White House tells me to believe.
blatham

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 05:35 pm
An excerpt from Jeff Flake's book courtesy Politico
Quote:
My Party Is in Denial About Donald Trump
We created him, and now we're rationalizing him. When will it stop?
Who could blame the people who felt abandoned and ignored by the major parties for reaching in despair for a candidate who offered oversimplified answers to infinitely complex questions and managed to entertain them in the process? With hindsight, it is clear that we all but ensured the rise of Donald Trump.

I will let the liberals answer for their own sins in this regard. (There are many.) But we conservatives mocked Barack Obama’s failure to deliver on his pledge to change the tone in Washington even as we worked to assist with that failure. It was we conservatives who, upon Obama’s election, stated that our No. 1 priority was not advancing a conservative policy agenda but making Obama a one-term president—the corollary to this binary thinking being that his failure would be our success and the fortunes of the citizenry would presumably be sorted out in the meantime. It was we conservatives who were largely silent when the most egregious and sustained attacks on Obama’s legitimacy were leveled by marginal figures who would later be embraced and legitimized by far too many of us. It was we conservatives who rightly and robustly asserted our constitutional prerogatives as a co-equal branch of government when a Democrat was in the White House but who, despite solemn vows to do the same in the event of a Trump presidency, have maintained an unnerving silence as instability has ensued. To carry on in the spring of 2017 as if what was happening was anything approaching normalcy required a determined suspension of critical faculties. And tremendous powers of denial.
maporsche

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 05:35 pm
@maporsche,
First truth I'm going to recognize.

Trump had he highest attended inauguration EVER!!
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 06:08 pm
found dead

0 Replies

blatham

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 06:08 pm
@blatham,
Definitely do read the excerpt from Flake's book. It is just so damned refreshing to read a conservative with whom one could have a rational and valuable conversation. I'm with him through most of what he writes in this excerpt but if we were talking, I'd bring up this portion:
Quote:
There was a time when the leadership of the Congress from both parties felt an institutional loyalty that would frequently create bonds across party lines in defense of congressional prerogatives in a unified front against the White House, regardless of the president’s party...

But then the period of collapse and dysfunction set in, amplified by the internet and our growing sense of alienation from each other, and we lost our way and began to rationalize away our principles in the process.
Here I'd ask him to delve a lot deeper into what went wrong in his party/movement. What was the role that Gringrich played? Or Fox (which arrived in the mid-nineties precisely when Gingrich was ascendant in the party. Talk radio? I'd inquire about the role of individuals like Scaife, Coors, the Bradleys, the Kochs. That would likely be a good conversation because he's obviously unafraid to acknowledge how his party has become, in clear and definite ways, a destructive force in American politics and society.
blatham

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 06:14 pm
Arpaio has been found guilty of criminal contempt. He faces a maximum of six months in jail. In this case, I'm rooting for the maximum sentence or at the very least, some months in jail. With pink underwear, of course.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 06:28 pm
I've just done the vector projection analysis calculations.

The next White House Communications director will hold the office for 1 hour, 27 minutes and 3 seconds, then he'll be fired.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 06:53 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Scaife
Not familiar with that name.Is it some communications media magnate?
I know I can look it up but usually Wiki gives off a lot of chaff
ossobucotemp

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 06:57 pm
@farmerman,
I recognize the name, but just in passing fast.
0 Replies

old europe

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 07:01 pm
Trump tweeted this morning that there was "No WH chaos!"

Seems as if any president who feels that he must publicly proclaim that there is absolutely no chaos in the White House is not exactly a "no chaos" president at all.

Here's a short list of people resigning and being fired just over the last eleven days:

Seems like a good opportunity to link this bit from two years ago:

Quote:
In his new book, “Crippled America,” Trump writes: “Making America Great Again begins at home.”

“It means restoring a sense of dignity to the White House, and to our country in general,” Trump writes. “The president of the United States is the most powerful person in the world. The president is the spokesperson for democracy and liberty. Isn’t it time we brought back the pomp and circumstance, and the sense of awe for that office that we all once held?”

“That means everyone working in the administration should look and act professionally at all times — especially the president,” Trump writes. “The way you dress and the way you act is an important way of showing respect for the people you are representing and the people you are dealing with. Impressions matter.”
ossobucotemp

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 07:04 pm
@old europe,
I figure somebody wrote that for him.
blatham

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 07:15 pm
Quote:
“Of Trump’s closest advisers, only Mike Pence has any association with the Republican Party,” writes Alberta. But that exception is an important one, because Mike Pence has enjoyed almost total control of the agenda. “Policy issues will largely fall under Vice-President Pence’s portfolio,” reports the Washington Post.

“Policy” is a pretty big portfolio. And so while unconservative figures like Ivanka Trump may be in charge of leaking self-flattering details, and Anthony Scaramucci may be tasked with rooting out all the non-Ivanka leakers, and Jared Kushner may have the Middle East–peace/government-makeover/try-to-stay-out-of-prison portfolio, Trump’s positions fall into the hands of a die-hard conservative.
Jon Chait
The bolded portion supports my sense of the centrality of Pence in this administration's policy directions and department appointments. Pence is the Koch's boy. He's who they wanted in the White House. When you read reporting on the various meetings that the Koch brothers set up, Pence's attendance is all but guaranteed. They are getting much of what they want via Pence.
blatham

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 07:17 pm
@farmerman,
Richard Mellon Scaife Important (now dead) guy.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 07:22 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
I figure somebody wrote that for him.
Oh yes. But that "It means restoring a sense of dignity to the White House" is quite delightful (in a tragic, world-ending sort of way).
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 07:56 pm
@blatham,
I have assumed that almost all along.

Sort of protective for Trubby, as we really fear the next guy more.