ossobucotemp

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
That makes sense.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:30 pm
Quote:
...At a White House cabinet meeting this morning, Donald Trump pointed to the figure as proof of his underappreciated successes. From the official transcript:

Quote:
"We have a GDP, on Friday -- it got very little mention, although I guess in the business areas it did. But it got, I think, very little mention. 2.6 is a number that nobody thought they'd see for a long period of time.... And 2.6 is an unbelievable number, announced on Friday."

It's hard to say with confidence whether Trump has any idea what the GDP is or what the quarterly reports show, but 2.6% growth is clearly not an "unbelievable number." It's actually quite believable.

Indeed, when the president says "nobody" expected to see quarterly growth of 2.6 "for a long period of time," that plainly ridiculous. As recently as last fall, which really isn't that long ago, we saw 2.8% growth.

Throughout the Obama era, most notably after the Great Recession ended, we saw plenty of individual quarters in which growth topped 4% and, at one point, 5%. Barack Obama didn't do much to pat himself on the back, and the Democratic White House didn't tout the figures as "unbelievable." They were simply seen as evidence of a domestic economy that was growing steadily.
Benen
He's lazy. He's stupid (in great part because he's so lazy). And he has absolutely no integrity as regards truthfulness.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:37 pm
@blatham,
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the new White House Chief of Staff, Gen Kelley had a decisive role in firing Scaramucci, both for his obvious lack of judgment and self control, and also because of his recent claim that he reported directly to the President, coupled his offensive actions with respect to the now departed COS Priebus. The profound stupidity and lack of situational awareness also behind Scaramucci's otherwise self-aggrandizing and offensive remarks is now apparent.
MontereyJack

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:50 pm
The Mooch made it ten days. That is probably a new low even for Trump. What does it say about trump"s judgment that he would choose such a total dipshit?
ehBeth

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:55 pm
@MontereyJack,
I just posted this elsewhere but I am lamenting of the loss of this great comic opportunity

http://media.cagle.com/83/2017/07/24/198301_600.jpg
0 Replies

layman

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:56 pm
@georgeob1,
Yeah, George, and, according to the NYT, there's even more to it than that:

NYT wrote:
[T]he decision to remove him came at Mr. Kelly’s request, the people said....While Mr. Kelly’s objection was the decisive factor in Mr. Scaramucci’s departure, people close to the decision said that Mr. Trump had quickly soured on the wisecracking, Long Island-bred former hedge fund manager, and so had his family.

Ivanka Trump, the president’s daughter, and Jared Kushner, her husband, had pushed the president to hire Mr. Scaramucci, seeing him as away to force out Mr. Priebus, the former national Republican committee chairman, and his allies in the West Wing.

Mr. Trump was initially pleased by Mr. Scaramucci’s harsh remarks, directed at Mr. Priebus and Steve Bannon, the chief White House strategist. But over the weekend, after speaking with his family and Mr. Kelly, the president began to see the brash actions of his subordinate as a political liability and potential embarrassment, according to two people familiar with his thinking.

Mr. Scaramucci’s swift departure is an early indication that Mr. Kelly intends to assert his authority over the operations of the White House, and that several of the big personalities there — including Mr. Kushner, Ms. Trump and Mr. Bannon — may be inclined to defer to him. It also suggests that, at least for the moment, Mr. Kelly has the president’s support in that effort.

The president still values Mr. Scaramucci, people close Mr. Trump and his family, and is hoping to find another, less high profile, position for him in the White House — although it is uncertain if Mr. Scaramucci would be willing to accept a demotion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/31/us/politics/anthony-scaramucci-white-house.html?_r=0
blatham

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:59 pm
Jeff Flake has been pushing himself into the media lately in an interesting fashion. Here's today's instance:
Quote:
President Donald Trump's first six months in office have not necessarily been conservative enough, Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake argued on Monday.

"I do think that ... some things he has done has been conservative. I think he appointed a great Supreme Court justice. The regulatory policy that he has embraced is conservative. His instincts on tax policy are conservative," Flake, a Republican who is up for reelection in 2018, said on CBS. "But some things are profoundly unconservative. Protectionist attitude, trying to get out of multinational free trade agreements. Isolationism. That's not conservative."
Politico
We are going to see this sort of story increasingly as we approach 2018 elections. The central feature will be, "Trump isn't a real conservative. He's not really one of us. He doesn't represent conservatism or the GOP. Forget what we've said and done over the last three years."
snood

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:05 pm
A bit tangent-y, but I got a chuckle...

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20476557_766919690160353_963387829695114885_n.png?oh=ec43e3f73e7e8510ea9121d3223c1e93&oe=59EC6CA7
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:11 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the new White House Chief of Staff, Gen Kelley had a decisive role in firing Scaramucci
I expect that's exactly right. But another way to say that might be, "Trump needed a sane adult to do what he has been neither sane enough nor adult enough to do himself".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:12 pm
@blatham,
Flake has been on his message consistently for quite some time. Look at the coverage going back 18 months +

It's newsy now because his book has just been published .

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:15 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
I certainly understand why you think it's such a great piece.
apparently not

I beg to differ
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:16 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

That Scaramucci was even brought on.

Kushner wanted Scaramucci.

The Kushner/Bannon battle goes on.

#45 seems to have an especially bad case of

http://www.funnytheworld.com/2016/May/Squirrel-SM.png

lately
layman

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:23 pm
@layman,
NYT wrote:
But over the weekend, after speaking with his family and Mr. Kelly, the president began to see the brash actions of his subordinate as a political liability and potential embarrassment, according to two people familiar with his thinking.

Ya gotta wonder: Was this a deliberate, "authorized" leak, or are people in the WH trying to **** with Kelly already?
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:37 pm
@layman,
Quote:
...two people familiar with his thinking

Not even sources familiar with the matter...familiar with his thinking!

What a ******* pathetic journalistic joke! Laughing
Debra Law

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:44 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

The Mooch just resigned! WTF!! Guess he couldn't stand the idea of reporting to a chief of staff.

Not surprising at all. We predicted on Friday that Mooch would soon follow Priebus. Trump might still keep him around as court jester.
layman

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:59 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Makes it sound like it would have to be Kushner and his wife, eh, Finn? Which it could possibly have been. If it was, then it's only because Trump wanted it reported in the NYT.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 04:20 pm
@layman,
Who the hell knows but a reporter that relies on sources that are familiar with the way someone thinks should be fired.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 04:21 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

snood wrote:

The Mooch just resigned! WTF!! Guess he couldn't stand the idea of reporting to a chief of staff.

Not surprising at all. We predicted on Friday that Mooch would soon follow Priebus. Trump might still keep him around as court jester.

I think they are saying he's going to return to his job (still tangentially Trump administration) at the Import/Export Bank.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 04:22 pm
@Debra Law,
What's your next amazingly accurate prediction Miriam?
0 Replies

snood

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 04:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Quote:
...that's weak. Even for you.

Quote:
...it reveals just a little about what an intensely phony blowhard you are

And with these cordial comments you've revealed, to anyone who might possibly have thought otherwise, that your question was tendered in bad faith.

BTW - You just demonstrated one of the behaviors of an A2K "coward," selecting a single sentence from a post and using it for an attack, sans context.

That's just a bunch of mealy mouthed dissembling. You can't answer what Trump has accomplished. So (just like trump) since you can't take accountability for your own **** you whine about being victimized. Just answer the question, hero. Or be very noble and STFU.