monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 07:26 am
I wonder if many on the right are wondering if Trump hurt his own agenda this week with all the crap he's been kicking up.

I'm not upset about that, mind you. In fact, I support Trump staying in office for the very reason that I think he will continue to sabotage his own agenda for the next 3.5 years.

I'm just curious if Trump supporters think his actions have hurt his own agenda.
farmerman

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 07:32 am
@izzythepush,
the American way has always been to fake the original. While you hqve a newspqper with waxed paper liner, we hqd a whole pper made of some inert substance tht was then printed with fake news.

Hence all the testing . The guys would use the Arthur Treacher rappers to wrap up extra "slices" of C compounds

0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 07:33 am
@blatham,
cod is extinct, they're probably using Pollock or tommy cod
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 07:35 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Huckabee calls for repeal of 17th Amendment after healthcare failure

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/344275-huckabee-calls-for-repeal-of-17th-amendment-after-healthcare-failure

I'm guessing we'll get Trump supporters telling Mike to 'let it go, you lost man'.

Apparently the Dems have infected DC with soreloseritis

Huckabee's quixotic venture would be wonderful (at present) for the GOP if it had any chance of coming to be, but it doesn't. Still no harm in tossing into the public debate. You've just spread it now.
izzythepush

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 07:36 am
@farmerman,
No ,it's not, it's been reclassed as sustainable.
farmerman

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 08:47 am
@izzythepush,
I saw the article. Northern cod" is a different species than the Atlantic cod, which is the one weve always used. "Sustainability" is kind of a misnomer at this point. Its a term that can only be appreciated in retrospect, not prospect
blatham

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 08:53 am
So much winning. I am tired tired tired
blatham

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 09:03 am
Next week sometime, Trump should stage a huge rally with thousands of nurses and doctors and people in wheelchairs all arrayed outside a huge hospital which has an enormous sign draped across stating "Mission Accomplished". You know, just to remind American citizens why they have good reason to vote Republican.
revelette1

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 09:12 am
@blatham,
When you see the tide shifting the thing to do is stay out of the way, not engage it lest it go back the other way.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 09:21 am
@maporsche,
I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly think he has and really only through this game he's playing with Sessions. Senators in general and Republican Senators in particular take the notion of the Senate being a Grand Club quite seriously and Trump has been treating one of their own very shabbily.

He can't and should not rule by fiat so legislative support is essential. He'll get none of it from the Dems, so he needs every Republican in Congress to support him. They may be close to dropping like flies.

Trump has faced an unprecedented level of opposition but I don't think it can be denied that he has been ably assisting the Resistance by constantly firing away at his own feet.

Some sort of shake up of the White House was expected (at least by me) and necessary, but, with the Mooch at the helm, it's looking like an implosion rather than a shake-up

Frankly, I'm surprised we haven't started to see warnings from the Usual Suspects in the MSM and here that Trump is now more dangerous than ever. Maybe their just enjoying his difficulties and will wait until he is even more boxed in.

I once corned a tiny chipmunk in an effort to shoo him out of my garage. Didn't mean to, but that's where he ran (which, come to think, of it seems like a stupid move for an animal in fear for his life). In any case as I tried to "brush" him out of the corner with the broom I was carrying he launched himself in a prodigious leap for my throat. Now maybe he really only made it as high as my waist or chest, but it was clear he meant me harm and I instinctively lurched backwards and then stumbling, fell to the floor. Chip (or Dale perhaps) scooted out of the garage to freedom. I wish I can say it was all part of my plan and that I didn't have the crap scared out of me by a tiny rodent, but that would be a lie.

I've also learned over the decades of my career that if a person feels he or she has been forced into a "fight or flight" situation, they will more often fight than flee, although the fight tends to be expressed in passive aggressive ways. A Vice President of a company I worked for as a branch manager advised all of us managers that anyone not meeting all of about 20 separate goals for a metric based on an average of payments made, they would be fired. It was an absurdly draconian edict as for very sound reasons no one had ever made all 20 goals and it was impossible to do so...without cheating. At the time of the edict I had already given my two weeks notice as I had secured a position in another company, so, fortunately, my integrity was never put to the test. Before I left though I had farewell conversations with no few of my fellow managers. All of them expressed anger and frustration over the edict, and half of them hadn't arrived at a decision on how to react, but the other half had done so immediately: At random, they would issue checks in very minimal amount which would drive down the average. Of course it was a clear violation of any number of company policies, but their rationale was that the amounts would be so insignificant that there would be no harm to the company. The person receiving the check would not be harmed, and if they returned it because they had no idea why they received it, the payment would already have served to reduce the average. They to a person expressed the belief that the VP had forced them to take this unethical action. They had families to support and careers to maintain and they weren't going to let some jackass VP in the Home Office screw them over with an impossible set of goals. Of note is the fact that most of the managers who decided to resort to this scheme were otherwise completely ethical and in other circumstances would never even think to pull such a stunt. It was a scenario I observed on several subsequent occasions and was a lesson learned that has served me well in my career.

My point is that creatures will do very unexpected and drastic things when they feel cornered. I certainly get your desire to see Trump remain in office for his entire term, albeit in an emasculated state. However Trump is not likely to comfortably settle into a Lame Duck presidency for the next 3.5 years. Should he find himself truly cornered (he's not there at present) how he will react can only be speculated upon, but whatever route he takes it could be dramatic and unexpected.

I imagine he would follow Obama's lead and use his pen and cellphone (along with his twitter account) to attempt to rule by fiat and thus create a fragile Trump Legacy that the next president will proceed to shatter, starting on Day One. However, depending on what advice he gets, he could follow a more extreme path. I'm not predicting anything, merely engaging in speculative fiction, but sooner or later this country is bound to have another would-be dictator (the first being Woodrow Wilson). The difference between Trump and Wilson though is that Wilson had a compliant Congress to assist him in his effort; Trump will not. That would leave the most fearful of scenarios, involvement of the military. Something drastic would need to happen though before the military would even entertain for one second going along with something like martial law, and this is where Conspiracy Kooks can have a field day.

Again, I'm not predicting any such thing, and I don't think there's a snowball's chance of it happening, but sure as the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, if Trump's isolation becomes more severe and he finds himself effectively neutered in terms of a legislative agenda, some columnist in the Washington Post (probably Eugene Robinson or Dana Milbank) is going to issue a chilling warning. (If they haven't done so already and I just missed it)

maporsche

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 09:43 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Good thoughts to ponder on. "Dramatic and unexpected" may very well be the words that sum up the Trump legacy in 4 or 8 years.
izzythepush

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 09:44 am
@farmerman,
You sure? The North Sea is right next to the Atlantic Ocean.
maporsche

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 09:47 am
It's worth pointing out that despite the failure thus far of 'repealing' the ACA, there are still many things that the administration can do to increase the problems the program has. Including the following from the Washington Post

Quote:
Trump’s threat to keep sabotaging the ACA, however, could actually still end up hurting a lot of people. There are plenty of tools that the administration can employ to keep sabotaging the individual markets and the ACA. Politico has a good rundown: The administration can do too little to promote enrollment or scale back enforcement of the mandate or give states more leeway to experiment with Medicaid in destructive ways. The administration can refuse to guarantee continued cost-sharing reductions, which has already caused insurers to exit the markets and hike premiums, something that could continue or get worse, leaving many more people without coverage options. Insurers are already warning of such an outcome.

Needless to say, many on the right will blame Obama for these outcomes, even though, if they happen, it's obvious that any problems would be exacerbated by Trump. He's already bragging on Twitter about doing it.
0 Replies

layman

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 09:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
...with the Mooch at the helm, it's looking like an implosion rather than a shake-up.

I don't know, Finn, but we'll see. Tony and Priebus are reputably long-time antagonists, so it looks like a real "shake-up" is coming, with chaos in the interim.

Trump appointed Mooch with full knowledge of this antagonism, and then had Tony report directly to him instead of via Priebus.

Mooch is a Trump clone is terms of attitude, but he's much more articulate and smooth in terms of his presentation (apart from late night calls to reporters when he's completely pissed off, which is Trumpian, for sure).

It's appears that Mooch and the Donald have concluded that either Priebus, or the many people he brought it with him (and who he controls), have an anti-Trump streak and leak constantly. Priebus has not been able to stop this, so he may have to go--unless he fully co-operates in the house-cleaning.

Personally, I like Mooch. He's a very effective communicator; seems totally loyal to Trump and is devoted to advancing the Trump agenda; and he's a street-fighter, like Trump. There may be a bloodbath now, but it could yield a significant pay-off down the road.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 09:58 am
@blatham,
Your sentimental fondness for conservatives who say or do things of which you approve is very touching.

It's been clear all along that McCain despises Trump. I'm not sure if his seething hatred began with or predated Trump's nasty comments about his experience in Vietnam, and how much it has been fueled by the fact that a man he detests won the office that he could not, but for all of McCain's virtues he has a disturbing compilation of flaws.

Right after Trump made his comment about preferring heroes who weren't captured, two thoughts crossed my mind

1) What had McCain done of which Trump became aware, that led to the vicious counter-punch. I don't know the timing of the two events, but might it have been McCain's fevered effort to obtain the Russia Dossier and provide a copy to the FBI? Maybe it was just that he had heard through the grapevine that McCain was ripping him to other Senators.

2) Trump just made a very nasty enemy or if McCain was already an enemy he just made certain that McCain would find a way to strike back at him.

McCain's "No" vote was his revenge strike: No more and no less.

Before he entered the Senate Chamber, he told his buddies in the MSM something like "Now watch the show."

This sort of crap can be entertaining until you realize that these people weren't elected to indulge themselves in a modern version of Game of Thrones, and regardless of what one thinks about the legislation McCain was voting on, neither he nor any of his colleagues should be using their votes to settle personal scores.

Just about all these people have colossal egos and McCain is certainly no exception. He likes to think of himself as the only politician in DC with integrity, but I'm quite certain that if his buddy Graham had pulled of a miracle and won the presidency and this bill was favored by him, McCain would have voted "Yes"

At one time or another they are all sickening, and far more often than admirable. There was nothing admirable about this vote. Then again there was nothing admirable about Trump reversing course and calling McCain an American Hero. Instead it was actually pretty stupid as I'm sure McCain savored it knowing he was going to cast the killing vote.

Walter Hinteler

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:04 am
@izzythepush,
The "North Sea cod" actually is called (in English) Northeast Atlantic cod as opposed to the Northwest Atlantic cod.
The cod in the Baltic Sea is different from both Atlantic cods (actually, there are four different kinds of cod in the Baltic Sea).
0 Replies

layman

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:22 am
@layman,
Quote:
Mooch is a Trump clone is terms of attitude, but he's much more articulate and smooth in terms of his presentation...

To elaborate, what I mean here is that, notwithstanding his underlying determination to fight, he's very capable of presenting things in a conciliatory tone. He can remain on the "attack" without appearing belligerent.

He was very gracious with CNN (or whoever it was, the NYT, maybe) when they published libelous falsehoods about him which they had to retract.

He also appears to be very result-oriented, with a focus on pragmatic achievements rather than simple retaliation/revenge.

He's no fool. As I recall he's a Harvard Law graduate.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:28 am
@maporsche,
And lookee what I just found in my inbox

Not quite what I speculated, but it's a start...and it's by (who else?) Eugene Robinson.

I love this bit

Quote:
The Court of Mad King Donald is not a presidency. It is an affliction, one that saps the life out of our democratic institutions, and it must be fiercely resisted if the nation as we know it is to survive.

I wish that were hyperbole.

Guess what Eugene? Your wish came true!

I realize that liberal pundits (professional an amateur) are passionate fans of melodrama, but if this isn't hyperbole, what the heck is? The ravings of a paranoid schizophrenic?

maporsche

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:33 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm glad you're happy Finn, but speculating that some opinion writers are going to be a tad extreme or hyperbolic isn't really a stretch.

It happens on both sides and when people on either side point out that it's hyperbole or extreme, they're right to do so, but it's in no way surprising.
layman

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:39 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I'm not sure if his seething hatred began with or predated Trump's nasty comments about his experience in Vietnam..

If you want to know this may help. The "captured" diss by Trump came relatively late and was retracted by Trump over a year ago:

USA Today, AZ central wrote:
Here's a blow-by-blow account of the Donald Trump vs. John McCain feud

July 18, 2015: The feud really exploded when Trump, at a Saturday event in Iowa, disparaged McCain's service during the Vietnam War. Trump, who did not serve in Vietnam, said McCain was “a war hero because he was captured” and that he liked “people that weren’t captured.”

May 11, 2016: Trump seemed to want to make peace with McCain, telling national radio personality Don Imus: "You know, frankly, I like John McCain, and John McCain is a hero. Also heroes are people that are, you know, whether they get caught or don’t get caught, they’re all heroes as far as I’m concerned. And that’s the way it should be.”

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/azdc/2016/10/15/donald-trump-vs-john-mccain-feud/91960246/

This article covers more recent events: