monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
camlok

Sat 22 Jul, 2017 10:01 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
They're always terrified of the facts that I post.

You have a high regard for your tripe, oralloy. That is indicative of someone who is highly delusional. You never provide any sources for your incoherent maundering.

It's a grand delusion gathered by nothing more than the silly propaganda that makes up the sum total of the USA.
Debra Law

Sat 22 Jul, 2017 10:39 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

blatham wrote:

Quote:
Christopher D. Long‏
@octonion
Why does Trump think health insurance costs $12/year? Because Gerber advertises life insurance for babies on Fox News for about that price.
9:21 AM - 22 Jul 2017

I hope we all understand that this is entirely plausible.

Of course it is.

It seems fairly obvious that he has absolutely no clue what health insurance even is. It's never been an issue for him, and he likely doesn't understand - at all - what the whole fuss is about. And can't be bothered to find out about it, either.

As far as he knows, the big problem here is that Obamacare is named for the guy he's despised for so many years now, so obviously that has to go. That's what he promised. That's what he wants. And whenever he made that promise at his campaign rallies, people were cheering for him. So it's gotta be right.

Just before his inauguration, he promised "insurance for everybody." Then he had a little celebration party in the Rose Garden - champagne and all - over a bill that was going to cost 24 million people their health insurance. And just this week, he made it clear that he would also sign a bill that fully repealed Obamacare and kicked 32 million people off of health insurance. Or just let Obamacare collapse. Or sign repeal-and-replace. It's not like those details matter, as long as he can claim some kind of victory.

And realistically, how much could health insurance possibly cost? $12 a year? $15 a month?

For one day, there was a free clinic in Virginia . . . and Trump should have been there to listen and learn about the dire needs of the people he represents . . .

Thousands flock to free medical clinic, as Washington dithers on health care

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/thousands-flock-to-free-medical-clinic-as-washington-dithers-on-health-care/2017/07/21/07b7d1f2-6d80-11e7-96ab-5f38140b38cc_story.html?utm_term=.c629cf85c310

Excerpts:
Quote:
WISE, Va. — The sick and the disabled pour out of these mountains every summer for their one shot at free health care, but this year was supposed to hold hope for a better solution.

. . .

It is the place of last resort for people who can’t afford insurance even under Obamacare or who don’t qualify for Medicaid in a state where the legislature has resisted expansion.

. . .

Many of these people voted for Trump — not only for his vow to fix health care, but also for his promise to bring back the coal industry. They’re still waiting for results, with varying degrees of patience.

. . .

[Patricia] McConnell has been watching the health-care debate in Washington and wondering if it will ever amount to anything that actually helps people like her. “I don’t know what they’re trying to do,” she said, struggling to get the words out around the gauze.

She voted for Trump, she said, and still feels that he’s working hard to help. But his anger and his tweets seem to aggravate Congress, and no one is working together, she said.

They need to set all that aside and work to pass health care for everyone, she said. “Let’s get this done.”

Others had a hard time mustering the faith that anyone cared.

“They’re trying to kill us poor people, is what they’re trying to do,” said Robert Horne, 55, a disabled former construction worker seeking dental care. Horne said he voted for Hillary Clinton last fall because of her pledge to maintain the Affordable Care Act.

That didn’t work out, either.

Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D), who flew out to the clinic Friday morning, had invited Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to join him but said that the Republican leader “politely” declined.

. . .

Stan Brock, the English philanthropist who founded the RAM clinic program more than 30 years ago, said there was one more visitor he’d like to see at the clinic.

“It’s absolutely imperative that the president of the United States come and visit one of these events,” he said. “I believe if he did, he would take some immediate action.”

Full article at Washington Post link.
Debra Law

Sat 22 Jul, 2017 11:17 pm
This is inspiring .... we need this grieving mom ... we need lots and lots of people like her: "After losing her 22 year-old daughter because she didn't have health insurance, Amy Vilela is running for congress against a Democratic Party incumbent who won't support Single-Payer Medicare for All."

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=19603#.WXJRAI8Mk3A.twitter
Lash

Sun 23 Jul, 2017 03:59 am
Schumer drops bogus Russia Narrative to try to save doomed Dems.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/343337-schumer-dems-not-russia-are-to-blame-for-loss-to-trump
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 23 Jul, 2017 04:06 am
@Debra Law,
It was a visit to one such free medical clinic that compelled Wendell Potter (who had been VP of corporate communications for Cigna) to finally speak out against the immorality of the profit-driven system he had been part of prior to Obamacare.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 23 Jul, 2017 04:07 am
I remarked on this the other day in post # 6,468,845:
Quote:
The Bogus Voter-Fraud Commission

The truth can’t be repeated often enough: The Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity, which held its first meeting last week, is a sham and a scam.

It is run by some of the nation’s most determined vote suppressors, the kind who try to throw out voter registrations for being printed on insufficiently thick paper or who release reports on noncitizen voting that are titled “Alien Invasion” and illustrated with images of U.F.O.s.

Its purpose is not to restore integrity to elections but to undermine the public’s confidence enough to push through policies and practices that make registration and voting harder, if not impossible, for certain groups of people who tend to vote Democratic.

The entire well-referenced editorial in the NYT is worth reading.

Lash

Sun 23 Jul, 2017 04:20 am
Chaco Trap House, the vibrant, alt left ragers against Clintonist neoliberalism.

Death of the establishment Dem party by irreverent millennials. Where do I send donations?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/22/chapo-trap-house-podcast-dirtbag-left-takes-aim-at-clinton-supporters
Lash

Sun 23 Jul, 2017 04:59 am
@oralloy,
I've heard you make this hopeful prediction before. I think we all have a tendency to enmesh our hopes into our predictions.

Obviously, I think you're wrong, but I realize my hopes are pretty enmeshed in my prediction too.

I think Americans are waking up to the fact that we've been fed a bunch of horseshit by our elected officials in order to control us. They call universal healthcare and affordable education 'free stuff' while our eyes are closed to the staggering percentage of the GDP they spend enriching the Industrial Military Complex... We only see what they tell us to see.

I think this era may be ending. I think the two party system is crumbling to a close, and a people's party will emerge. I'm just already becoming wary of an 'Animal Farm' situation, and I fervently hope we're all smart enough to support four or five vibrant parties and be on guard against any overly powerful party or candidate.

Anyway, we'll definitely see which way the wind blows.

I think you're wrong.
Lash

Sun 23 Jul, 2017 05:03 am
@Debra Law,
I have huge hopes that all the murderous, corrupt dinosaurs will be primaried.
0 Replies

snood

Sun 23 Jul, 2017 05:17 am
Well, this is interesting. This majority Republican House is sending 45 a bill that has new sanctions on Russia, PLUS allows Congress to block the White House from easing the sanctions. Let's see how he reacts to a veto-proof bill that forces him to sanction his beloved Putin.
farmerman

Sun 23 Jul, 2017 05:19 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
If Trump chooses to tell the truth, his words are likely to align with my words
"If" seems to be the key word eh?

Quote:
What a devastating rebuttal of all my facts
One doesn't need much to rebut your political beliefs. Admit it, your mind has been soaped up and washed out by Trumpian doctrine. So, it appears that, you are now required to turn on a GOP elder statesman because he often publically disagrees with your "Fuhrer".

hightor

Sun 23 Jul, 2017 05:59 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
When the Democrats fight tooth and nail to undermine any attempt to get a handle on how much voter fraud there is, they undermine their claims that there is no evidence of such fraud.

No they don't. Actually it's the other way around — when the Republicans continually attempt to undermine people's trust in election results they reveal themselves as fearful, suspicious people who don't like the demographic makeup of the electorate and seek to disenfranchise those who may be likely to vote against them.