monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oristarA

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 08:24 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Nice try, cheese-eaters.

Isn't Trump exactly an alternative cheese-eater who has been eating government cheese, e.g., he was spending at a family-owned golf club that was being paid to host the U.S. Women’s Open tournament (NYTimes)?

Trump’s Interests vs. America’s is a big problem.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 08:45 am
We have such a jerk for a president, I absolutely loathe him more everyday. This is his latest tweets.

Quote:
The Republicans never discuss how good their healthcare bill is, & it will get even better at lunchtime. The Dems scream death as OCare dies!
@realDonaldTrump
twitter

Shouldn't he want to be president for all Americans including democrats? Is this attitude acceptable now among our resident Trump followers?

Moreover, he is doing his best to make sure Obamacare dies, he doesn't care who he hurts. I think it is all about the name. Why don't we just improve the health care we got and change the name to trumpcare? Then he would be happy to "own it."

Sanders: Trump working overtime to sabotage health care for Americans (The Hill)

snood

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 08:59 am
@revelette1,
He is motivated solely by getting anything that can remotely be perceived as a 'win' for Donald Trump. Not by the greater good. Not by any ideology or core belief. Not by any moral code. Not by what's good for the Republican party, or his country, or theworld. Just by what will feed his bloated gasbag ego in the moment. He has shown what he is consistently, for decades.

I have been holding out hope that Mueller's investigation might bring at least some of his brood to justice, but this Slate article has me thinking twice.

Now I'm holding out hope that Drumpf steps up his consumption of red meat and french fries and continues screaming at the TV, and maybe he'll take care of the problem himself.
ehBeth

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 10:28 am
https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/7/19/15994924/nixon-trump-vietnam-russia-historical-parallels

Quote:
What follows is the tale of how the campaign of a megalomaniacal Republican candidate colluded with a foreign power to swing an American presidential election. And how US national security agencies unearthed proof of the plot, but failed to intercede and stop it — leaving an incumbent Democratic president fuming in impotent fury.

As you doubtless suspected, we are speaking not about Donald Trump and his interactions with Russia, but another episode in modern presidential history — namely, Richard Nixon’s off-the-books diplomacy with South Vietnam, in advance of the 1968 elections. In that year, Nixon employed secret emissaries to urge South Vietnamese officials to stall, and thus wreck, President Lyndon Johnson’s election eve effort to convene a peace conference and bring an end to the Vietnam War.

Johnson learned of the Republican intrigue but, like President Barack Obama and US security agencies almost 50 years later, declined to go public without proof of the candidate’s direct, personal involvement.

Although the Trump-Russia story has yet to fully unfold, some of the parallels are striking. The earlier episode, moreover, offers cautionary lessons for the left.

interesting article if you're a student of politics

also interesting if you are following current American politics

Quote:
The experience left him with a fierce resolve to never be out-cheated again.
0 Replies

snood

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 10:46 am
Six Month Update for Trump Supporters:
1. He told you he’d repeal Obamacare and replace it with something “beautiful.” You bought it. But he didn’t repeal and he didn’t replace. (Just as well: His plan would have knocked at least 22 million off health insurance, including many of you.)

2. He told you he’d cut your taxes. You bought it. But tax “reform” is stalled. And if it ever moves, the only ones whose taxes will be cut are the wealthy.

3. He told you he’d invest $1 billion in our nation’ crumbling infrastructure. You bought it. But his infrastructure plan, which was really a giveaway to rich investors, is also stalled.

4. He said he’d clean the Washington swamp. You bought it. But he’s brought into his administration more billionaires, CEOs, and Wall Street moguls than in any administration in history, to make laws that will enrich their businesses, along with former lobbyists, lawyers and consultants who are crafting new policies for the same industries they recently worked for.

5. He said he’d use his business experience to whip the White House into shape. You bought it. But he created the most chaotic, dysfunctional, back-stabbing White House in modern history, in which no one is in charge.

6. He said he’d close “special interest loopholes that have been so good for Wall Street investors but unfair to American workers.“ You bought it. But he picked a Wall Street financier Stephen Schwarzman to run his strategic and policy forum, who compares closing those loopholes to Hitler’s invasion of Poland.

7. He told you he’d “bring down drug prices” by making deals with drug companies. You bought it. But now the White House says that promise is “inoperative.”

8. He said that on Day One he’d label China a “currency manipulator.” You bought it. But then he met with China’s president and declared "China is not a currency manipulator.”

9. He said he wouldn’t bomb Syria. You bought it. But then he bombed Syria.

10. He called Barack Obama “the vacationer-in-Chief” and accused him of playing more rounds of golf than Tiger Woods. He promised to never be the kind of president who took cushy vacations on the taxpayer’s dime, not when there was so much important work to be done. You bought it. But in his first 6 months he has spent more taxpayer money on vacations than Obama did in the first 3 years of his presidency. Not to mention all the money taxpayers are spending protecting his family, including his two sons who travel all over the world on Trump business.

11. He said he’d force companies to keep jobs in America. You believed him. But despite their promises, Carrier, Ford, GM, and the rest are shipping jobs to Mexico and China.

12. He said he’d create coal jobs. You believe him. He hasn’t. But here’s what he has done: Since 1965 a federal program called the Appalachian Regional Commission has spent $23 billion helping communities in coal states fund job retraining, reclaim land, and provide desperately needed social services. A.R.C. helped cut poverty rates almost in half, double the percentage of high-school graduates, and reduce infant mortality by two-thirds. Trump’s first proposed budget eliminates A.R.C.

-Robert Reich
ehBeth

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 10:58 am
@snood,
I'd appreciate that more if Mr. Reich acknowledged his piece of the blame/credit for #45 being elected.
revelette1

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 11:23 am
Quote:
U.S. Supreme Court partly rejects Trump in latest travel ban fight

WASHINGTON, July 19 (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday declined for now to block a judge's ruling that prevented President Donald Trump's travel ban from being applied to grandparents of U.S. citizens.

But in a partial win for Trump, the court put on hold part of the judge's ruling that would have allowed more people to enter the United States under a separate ban on refugees.

The brief order said its decision is temporary while the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals considers a separate appeal on the same issue.

Reuters
0 Replies

snood

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 11:27 am
@ehBeth,
What responsibility is that - not supporting Saint Bernie?
ehBeth

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 11:41 am
@snood,
Mr. Reich was all Sanders love, all the time.
Some of his anti-Clinton stuff showed up in 45's campaign.
Thank you Mr. Reich.

I used to follow some of his economics writings. Then I stopped following him completely. If he goes back to economics I might start reading him again.
maporsche

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 12:23 pm
@snood,
Trumps contract with America has been treated just like many of his other contracts.

Raise your hand if you're surprised.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 12:27 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

During G2 summit dinner of which leaders and their spouses attended, Trump got up from his seat and sat down beside Putin and talked without a US interpreter for at least an hour. Trump and Putin were among the last the leave. Putin left at 11:50 pm and Trump left at 11:54 pm. So we have no idea of what they talked about during that time because there was no US interpreter.

Story report here
WP

We would have no idea of what they discussed if there had been an American translator, unless you have come to expect that everyone who works for the president is going to leak whatever they hear.

The hyperbolic buzz about this incident is utterly absurd and yet another example of The Opposition taking the most mundane of words or actions and trying to blow them up into evidence of malfeasance.

POTUS attends these international meetings to guess what? Meet with other leaders! There isn't a law that requires the president to only meet with other leaders if such meetings have appeared on an official schedule released by the White House. There is no law that requires a president to always have an American translator at his side during a meeting with a foreign leader (Although I'm sure if there is a Govt Translator Union, they lobbied for one!), and there isn't a law that requires the president to either inform the media, congress, or the American people of every meeting he has with another leader or what was discussed. If anyone sees this meeting and any of its circumstances to be suspicious, it's because they are driven by suspicion and want the meeting to be sinister.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 12:28 pm
@maporsche,
It seems to me that the leftists and the MSM from day one moved to keep Trump frozen from doing his job. They have been harping about one thing or the other since Hillary lost the election. I honestly don't think it would have mattered who won from the GOP side, the leftists and MSM would have played the same exact game if Cruz or someone else had one.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 12:37 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Shouldn't he want to be president for all Americans including democrats? Is this attitude acceptable now among our resident Trump followers?

Funny but this is the same question a lot of people asked when it came to Obama and Republicans.

Of course he wants to be president for all Americans, and actually that is exactly what he is. What's more, I'm sure he desires all Americans to approve of his presidency and cares a great deal that a great many do not. It need not have anything to do with a sense of public service. Everyone enjoys approval and perhaps him more than a lot of other people.

Being president for all Americans didn't mean Obama had to go along with Republican policies and it doesn't mean Trump has to do the same with Democrat policies.

You do realize, don't you, that when he referred to Republicans and Democrats in his tweet, he was referring to Republican and Democrat members of Congress, not the rank and file members of the two parties? As president he owes absolutely nothing to the Democrat politicians who regularly insult him, impugn his character, and call for his impeachment.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 12:37 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Mr. Reich was all Sanders love, all the time.
Some of his anti-Clinton stuff showed up in 45's campaign.

Clinton is the main reason Trump was elected. She had no clue what she was standing for. To whine about Sanders and co. 6 month after is childish.
maporsche

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 12:41 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

It seems to me that the leftists and the MSM from day one moved to keep Trump frozen from doing his job. They have been harping about one thing or the other since Hillary lost the election. I honestly don't think it would have mattered who won from the GOP side, the leftists and MSM would have played the same exact game if Cruz or someone else had one.

And thank god they have Baldimo. The Democrats are doing the job THEY were elected to do. They are protecting the progress that has been made and trying to block the regressive agenda of the right.

You know that the left is not going to jump on board for Trumpcare.

Really though, Trump just doesn't give a crap about his promises. You know this I think.
ehBeth

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 12:41 pm
@Olivier5,
Not whining. Stating a fact. Anti-Clinton stuff developed by Reich showed up in 45's campaign.

Did I want 45 for the US/world? no
Did I want Clinton -"- ? no
Did I want Sanders -"-? no
ehBeth

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 12:44 pm
@revelette1,
Interesting that. Standard protocol is for both sides to issue a brief press release confirming the discussion between leaders of two/more countries. We see it each time Mr. Trudeau and #45 meet/call/talk. They rarely say the same thing, but they say something.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 12:47 pm
@Olivier5,
The DNC didn't have any choice but to do with Hillary, it was her turn and damn the nation. Didn't you wonder why there were only 5 people in the entire DNC who felt they had the stuff to be President? If Hillary doesn't run in 2020, there will be more than 5 who run in the Primaries, it should be another interesting Primary season as well, because I'm expecting the GOP to run another candidate to challenge Trump, he will lose and a different GOP candidate will win the election. I'm personally hoping the Libertarians run a strong candidate who will put in a good showing and actually win some electoral votes.
maporsche

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 12:48 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

The DNC didn't have any choice but to do with Hillary, it was her turn and damn the nation. Didn't you wonder why there were only 5 people in the entire DNC who felt they had the stuff to be President? If Hillary doesn't run in 2020, there will be more than 5 who run in the Primaries, it should be another interesting Primary season as well, because I'm expecting the GOP to run another candidate to challenge Trump, he will lose and a different GOP candidate will win the election. I'm personally hoping the Libertarians run a strong candidate who will put in a good showing and actually win some electoral votes.

I hope they go with someone like Kasich
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 19 Jul, 2017 12:50 pm
@ehBeth,
So what?
0 Replies