monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 03:39 am
@roger,
Quote:
...link between climate warming and terrorism...

There's not a direct link but the thinking is that some of the effects of climate change, like prolonged drought or loss of water supply, can destabilize societies and that these stressed populations of poor people on the move are ripe for recruitment by terrorist organizations. There's some evidence that this occurred in Syria and led to the rapid rise of the so-called "Islamic State". In general, civil strife generates resentment and destabilization — which is why the US has sometimes recognized dictatorships as being preferable to chaos. Climate change adds a new element of potential instability to the mix.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 03:39 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
You are forgetting that of the five elections that were so close the popular vote winner lost the Electoral College, Hillary had by far the greatest plurality of popular votes?
It's a good point.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 03:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Trump refuses to make a state visit to the UK until Theresa May "fixes warm UK welcome".

"When I know I’m going to get a better reception, I’ll come and not before", it has been reported, he told the PM.

Brilliant. Trump is universally hated over here, even the Tories don't like him. There will never be a time when there won't be huge protests.

Labour are currently 8 points ahead of the Tories, and when I saw Jezza yesterday he was ebullient.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 03:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Re: roger (Post 6465597)
The Pentagon concluded similarly some time ago in the Quadrennial Defense Review, reporting that the effects of climate change are "threat multipliers", enabling terrorism and other violence by aggravating underlying societal problems.
Exactly.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 04:11 am
@blatham,
Quote:
what we now know about Trump/Russia (and what else we are about to learn) is almost entirely a consequence of reporting entities doing their job.

I wish they would have done it a bit sooner, but better late than never.
blatham

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 04:33 am
@Olivier5,
Oh yes. There's a lot to criticize and I think it's critical that citizens continue to educate themselves to better monitor how the press operates. But at the same time, a critical part of our self-education has to include a greater awareness of how the modern right in the US is complicit in a broad campaign to derogate news media in a classic authoritarian gambit of suppressing criticism and controlling information flows.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 05:23 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
... temperature increase will be reduced by a small fraction of 1 degree by the year 2100 , is going to stop terrorism from killing thousands this year, and next, and next just how?
I admit that I really don't feel the difference between a 30-degree day and a 29-degree day.
But it’s not about weather, it’s about what that rise in temperature does to the climate and the world around us like e.g. in Syria (see the linked report).
Olivier5

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 05:37 am
@blatham,
I agree. There's no democracy without a well informed public. If it was not for a particular newspaper who exposed François Fillon's shody business as a parliamentarian, he would be the French president right now.
blatham

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 05:45 am
@Olivier5,
I hadn't known that. Thank you.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 05:57 am
A very good piece by Joshua Green in the NYT on Breitbart and modern right wing media (and consequences of).
Quote:
...Look to the right now and you’re apt to find an alternative reality in which the same set of facts is rearranged to compose an entirely different narrative. On Fox News, host Lou Dobbs offered a representative example on Thursday night, when he described the Donald Trump Jr. email story, with wild-eyed fervor, like this: “This is about a full-on assault by the left, the Democratic Party, to absolutely carry out a coup d’état against President Trump aided by the left-wing media.”

Mr. Dobbs isn’t some wacky outlier, but rather an example of how over the last several years the conservative underworld has swallowed up and subsumed more established right-leaning outlets such as Fox News. The Breitbart mind-set — pugnacious, besieged, paranoid and determined to impose its own framework on current events regardless of facts — has moved from the right-wing fringe to the center of Republican politics.
NYT About two years ago, David Frum said that Republicans thought they were determining how right wing media operated but it was now clear that the reverse was the actual case. It was a bright observation.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 06:01 am
Trump setting new records
Quote:
Approaching six months in office, Trump’s overall approval rating has dropped to 36 percent from 42 percent in April. His disapproval rating has risen five points to 58 percent. Overall, 48 percent say they “disapprove strongly” of Trump’s performance in office, a level never reached by former presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama and reached only in the second term of George W. Bush in Post-ABC polling.
WP
So, a gold star to Donald for his achievement.
0 Replies

snood

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 07:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

layman wrote:
... temperature increase will be reduced by a small fraction of 1 degree by the year 2100 , is going to stop terrorism from killing thousands this year, and next, and next just how?
I admit that I really don't feel the difference between a 30-degree day and a 29-degree day.
But it’s not about weather, it’s about what that rise in temperature does to the climate and the world around us like e.g. in Syria (see the linked report).

I admire your dedication to the education of the limited, but I'm afraid what you've attempted here is akin to explaining a sunset to a blind man.
snood

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 07:50 am
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19961163_10209230239704745_6791947121158146338_n.jpg?oh=9ff9d98707287545087a256ecfa7164e&oe=5A0A9093
snood

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 07:53 am
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19989315_1942691076001040_5429944561516958691_n.jpg?oh=8f4cba654bf6f224b6d37e11ddd6839e&oe=5A0317A0
0 Replies

layman

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 10:34 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I admire your dedication to the education of the limited, but I'm afraid what you've attempted here is akin to explaining a sunset to a blind man.

Stupidity cannot be "explained" in a way that makes it sensible. Anyone who tries to argue that there is any significant link between the Paris accord and eliminating terrorism is too foolish to talk to.

The cheese-eaters blame every car accident, every killing in this country by an illegal alien, and every other undesirable event on "global warming." It's ridiculous.

There have always been, and always will be, droughts and food shortages, irrespective of any Paris accord, so what?

Most scientists acknowledge that higher temperatures result in more evaporation, hence more rainfall, hence less droughts.

Increased levels of CO2 result in more crop production, and hence less food shortages.

The Paris accord will have NO significant effect on warming, but, to the extent it reduces warming, it will result in more, not less, droughts and food shortages.

There is an utter lack of rational connection between the Paris accord and terrorism, notwithstanding the shrieking of Chicken Little.
0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 10:53 am
@snood,
(The morphing of the Russiagate Narrative as per Hannity)

Thank you for that post.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 11:22 am

Hillary didn't violate campaign laws because she PAID bribes to russian officials and spies to obtain false information about Trump to disseminate. Hence there was no "donation," see? THAT was not illegal. Accepting information without PAYING is the crime, caincha see?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 12:15 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Now if only America had a halfway decent press. America does not get to Trump beating Clinton especially all surprised about it on election day with a functioning journalism corps.
I would not want to count up the number of posts I've written here or elsewhere which have been critical of the modern political press. Yet what I'd said in the post you respond to is accurate - what we now know about Trump/Russia (and what else we are about to learn) is almost entirely a consequence of reporting entities doing their job.

And what do we now know about Trump Russia, specifically? Specifically, what crime was committed?
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 03:13 pm
Theme Weeks. Now, that's governance!
Quote:
With Republicans’ health care bill in jeopardy, the White House is once again turning to a series of unrelated themed weeks to organize President Donald Trump’s schedule.

Over the next three weeks, the White House will hold events pertaining to three vaguely defined themes: “Made in America,” “American Heroes” and “American Dreams.”
Politico
We're reaching levels of High Dipshittery that would discombobulate the Marx Brothers.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 03:14 pm
Well, OK, then! These illegals are startin to wise up, eh? There's a new Sheriff in town:

Quote:
An ICE agent visited a restaurant. About 30 employees quit the next day

The co-owner of a dockside Baltimore restaurant has revealed that nearly his entire kitchen staff resigned after an Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent demanded their papers in the latest example of the national debate over immigration.

Change came to the BoatHouse about 3 p.m. Thursday, Singleton said, just after the lunch rush. An immigration agent walked up to the host stand and asked for a manager.

The agent delivered a demand letter, Singleton said: Provide a list of anyone who worked at the restaurant in the past two years, along with their employment eligibility forms.

“Properly documented and potentially less than properly documented are all fearful of being separated from their families, many with small children. Many went home to pack up and leave," Singleton wrote in a Facebook post Saturday, a day after their departure.

The BoatHouse is hardly the only restaurant to bear the brunt. Raids on Asian restaurant in Mississippi detained more than 50 people in February.

Quite an efficient way to enforce immigration law, eh? Self-deportation. No expenses incurred to jail these illegals, hold hearings, pay for travel costs, no nuthin!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2017/06/27/an-ice-agent-visited-a-restaurant-about-30-employees-quit-the-next-day-its-owner-says/?utm_term=.58bce7ca6b34

You go, Donald!