monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 11:28 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
izzythepush wrote:
Stuff like that pisses me off too, but what do you expect? Trump's supporters aren't exactly the most educated bunch of people.

Not by and large, but how do you account for the ones that are? Cognitive dissonance? Terminal tribalism?

We are explained by our focus on facts and reality.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 11:31 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
"Desperate" hardly begins to describe the behavior of our resident rightists as the details of the Trump administration's incompetence and perfidy steadily leak into the public sphere.

Are you serious? What in the world would we have to be desperate about?

I'm generally pissed off and want to see a serious move to outlaw the Democratic Party in America, but I see no cause for desperation.

hightor wrote:
A few months ago they were gloating over their "bigger than Watergate" scandal. Which apparently had something to do with Obama ordering the wiretapping Trump Tower and something about Susan Rice eventually going to prison. Oh yeah, heads were going to roll. For sure!

It would indeed be nice to see Trump order the investigation and prosecution of various Democratic crimes.

In particular I'd like to see a thorough investigation of the Obama Administration for abusing the IRS to persecute conservatives.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 11:37 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
There will be no single smoking gun that will bring down this White House. It will be death by firing squad — or perhaps a sequence of firing squads — as the whole story inexorably pours out of the administration’s smoldering ruins.

Trump is going to remain our president for the full eight years. The Republicans are going to hold the White House for twenty years.

Quote:
This week’s bombshell has the feel of gallows humor. Trump Jr.’s panicked release of the self-incriminating emails

Given the reality that there is nothing incriminating in the emails, they are hardly self incriminating.

Quote:
is tantamount to picking up a loaded gun and shooting himself in the head.

Except for the fact that releasing the emails caused no harm whatsoever.

Quote:
Why did Little Donald not do what the Trumps always do in these situations — let the press (in this case the Times) go ahead and report its incriminating findings, rail against leakers, and then dismiss the latest incontrovertible evidence of wrongdoing as “fake news”?

The question is premised on falsehoods. There were no incriminating findings, and no incontrovertible evidence of wrongdoing. There was no suggestion of wrongdoing whatsoever.

As for "why?" to understand that question, one would have to have a grasp of reality. It's not anything that a liberal could ever understand.

Quote:
Was Little Donald trying to protect his father from even worse revelations? To take down his brother-in-law even as his brother-in-law (a possible source of the emails) tried to take down him? To deliver a message from or to the Kremlin?

None of the above. Since no one has done anything wrong here, he merely decided to just let the emails be open to the public.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 11:40 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
I don't think this latest will bring about Trump's impeachment,

You got that one right. Given the complete lack of any wrongdoing, Trump is going to be our president for the next eight years.

Even if there were actual wrongdoing, the Democrats have no answer as to why anyone should care after they placed Bill Clinton above the law.

revelette1 wrote:
but, all the same, this Trump Jr/Kushner Russian meeting thing is being investigated by US officials and in particular the Russian intelligence operative who also attended the meeting.

Witch hunts like this are why it is important to outlaw the Democratic Party in America.

revelette1 wrote:
Despite the fact Trump wants closer ties to Russia, Russia is a hostile country to the US. They have interfered with our elections and in other parts of the western world.

Oh please. Spare me the fake concerns about Russia. During the Cold War the Left actually wanted the Soviets to destroy the US. And just a couple years ago they were all sneering at Mitt Romney for saying he thought Russia was still a threat to us. I heard no calls from the Left to act against Putin when he was invading Georgia and Ukraine. And the Left has actually sabotaged all the investigations that could have led to more secure elections in the future.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 11:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Now if only America had a halfway decent press. 

Then the electorate would be well informed, and it not have elected a con man as president.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 11:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I wish I had a dollar for every prediction that one party or the other was going down and the other one would rise to decades of dominance.

My prediction is a bit different from all the others. My prediction has a very high probability of coming true.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 11:52 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
If any of the putrid vermin occupying the White House gets brought to justice, I'll take consolation in that.

Justice would involve not harming an innocent president and instead outlawing the party who is abusing the law to harm him.

snood wrote:
But I know there won't be any satisfaction in the comeuppance of the apologists, because they will just go on denying and obfuscating.

It is perfectly reasonable to deny the Left's untrue accusations.

Pointing out facts that you find inconvenient is hardly obfuscation.

snood wrote:
If absolute incontrovertible proof of collusion with a hostile government to subvert our system or hard proof of obstruction of justice are uncovered, they'll just say it's lies of the left and a desperate attempt at a coup.

None of us will refer to incontrovertible proof as a lie. That's the sort of thing a liberal would do.

It is reasonable to call it a coup when a party tries to abuse the law to harm our president.

Given the way the liberals actually wanted the Soviets to destroy the US during the Cold War, were just recently sneering at Mitt Romney for saying Russia was a threat, didn't offer much in the way of condemnation for the recent invasions of Ukraine and Georgia, and just sabotaged all the investigations that could have led to protections of future American elections, it is pretty disgusting to hear them pretend to be all concerned about a supposed Russian threat.

Receiving damaging information about opposing candidates hardly subverts our system.

If hard proof of obstruction of justice were to emerge (unlikely, since nothing that has been alleged so far could possibly count as obstruction), the response would be to point out that the Democrats were just fine with obstruction of justice when Bill Clinton was the one committing it.

snood wrote:
If there are indictments of Manafort or Flynn or Kushner or Jr., they'll just say "The Fake News won a small victory".

No. If Flynn or Manafort are indicted for failing to register as a foreign agent, that will be an abuse of prosecutorial discretion. The solution will be to pardon them.

If Kushner or Jr are indicted, the charges will obviously be untrue. The solution will again be pardons.

Best actually to just pardon everyone right now so we can bring the witch hunt to an end.

snood wrote:
I am convinced they are immune to any objective proof of wrongdoing by this disgrace of an administration.

Well, your biggest problem is that you are pretending that perfectly legitimate activities are wrongdoing.

No matter how many times you breathlessly denounce Trump for having done nothing wrong, none of us are going to care.

But you do have a point. If you did manage to establish any sort of Trump wrongdoing, our very next question to you would be "Why should anyone care after you let Bill Clinton commit all those felonies?"

snood wrote:
That's why I don't argue too hard against their bullshit.

Facts are not BS, no matter how inconvenient you find those facts.

The reason why you don't try to argue against facts is, facts are pretty hard to argue against. Deep down some part of you realizes how foolish you look when you try to deny reality
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 01:01 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Oh and also, can anyone explain Finn's keen sense of humor?

Opposite of satire, insult/demean the weak and vulnerable whilst sucking up to the rich and powerful.

There's a reason why all the best comics are left wing. True humour requires a degree of humanity.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 01:11 am
Why hasn't this, which happened 4-5 days ago, been the biggest news story of the year, eh?:

Quote:
House Democrat files article of impeachment against Trump

Rep. Brad Sherman (D-Calif.) formally introduced an article of impeachment against President Trump on Wednesday.

"Donald John Trump has acted in a manner contrary to his trust as president and subversive of constitutional government, to the great prejudice of the cause of law and justice and to the manifest injury of the people of the United States. Wherefore, Donald John Trump, by such conduct, warrants impeachment and trial, and removal from office,” the article of impeachment states.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/341677-house-dem-files-article-of-impeachment-against-trump

Oh, I see....

Quote:
Sherman so far has only one supporter on his article of impeachment: Rep. Al Green (D-Texas), who previously called for Trump’s impeachment on the House floor.

Democratic leaders in the House reacted with caution to Sherman’s move. Sherman drew ire from fellow House Democrats last month when he began circulating a draft article of impeachment and suggested he might force a floor vote on it.

Democratic leaders and most rank-and-file members aren’t eager to aggressively push impeachment at this point. One leadership ally, Rep. Michael Capuano (D-Mass.), stood up during a Democratic caucus meeting to say Sherman’s effort could hurt the party. Pelosi and House Democratic Caucus Chairman Joseph Crowley (N.Y.) backed up Capuano at the time,

However, Sherman said, he wants “to begin a long process to protect our country from...impulsive, ignorant incompetence.”

Nice try, cheese-eaters.
roger

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 01:17 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Why hasn't this, which happened 4-5 days ago, been the biggest news story of the year, eh?:

Probably because being unlikeable is not an impeachable offence. It might be coming, but this isn't quite there.
layman

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 01:37 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Probably because being unlikeable is not an impeachable offence. It might be coming, but this isn't quite there.

Well, who knew? The cheese-eaters in this thread have been telling us we were way past "there" months ago.
roger

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 01:42 am
@layman,
Yeah, well, we'll get there as long as the man thinks he's flameproof.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 02:26 am
After having talked with Trump about this subject, Macron is quite confident that there's a real possibility the USA will return to the Paris Treaty.

http://i.imgur.com/EyP32LL.jpg

In an interview with the French Sunday paper "Journal du Dimanche" Macron said, Trump told that he was going to try to find a solution for a possible return in the coming months. "We talked extensively about what could make him return," Macron added.
The US President had listened to him during her talks in Paris: "He told me he was looking for a solution in the coming months." Trump understood, above all, his view that there was a link between climate warming and terrorism.
roger

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 02:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Can you help us out a little on that link between climate warming and terrorism?
Walter Hinteler

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 02:50 am
@roger,
Terrorist groups will exploit the natural disasters and water and food shortages resulting from climate change and allow them to recruit more easily, operate more freely and control civilian populations.
(It is known - and has been published since years [according to a quick google search] - that terrorist groups are increasingly using natural resources – such as water – as a weapon of war.)
roger

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 02:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Okay. Sounds tenuous, but okay.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 03:04 am
@roger,
The Pentagon concluded similarly some time ago in the Quadrennial Defense Review, reporting that the effects of climate change are "threat multipliers", enabling terrorism and other violence by aggravating underlying societal problems. (Got only second sources for that, but it's mentioned in this report [pdf, "Response to Congressional Inquiry on National Security Implications of Climate-Related Risks and a Changing Climate"] as well.)
Walter Hinteler

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 03:23 am
Trump refuses to make a state visit to the UK until Theresa May "fixes warm UK welcome".

"When I know I’m going to get a better reception, I’ll come and not before", it has been reported, he told the PM.
"I haven’t had great coverage out there lately, Theresa," Mr Trump told Ms May, according to a transcript of the conversation.
Ms May replied: "Well, you know what the British press are like."
But Mr Trump added: "I still want to come, but I’m in no rush.

Okay, that's part of an exclusive report in the Sun
layman

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 03:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
So the climate is (maybe) warming, now what? The Paris Accord, which was going to cost the U.S. $3 trillion for the hope that temperature increase will be reduced by a small fraction of 1 degree by the year 2100 , is going to stop terrorism from killing thousands this year, and next, and next just how?
blatham

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 03:35 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Now if only America had a halfway decent press. America does not get to Trump beating Clinton especially all surprised about it on election day with a functioning journalism corps.
I would not want to count up the number of posts I've written here or elsewhere which have been critical of the modern political press. Yet what I'd said in the post you respond to is accurate - what we now know about Trump/Russia (and what else we are about to learn) is almost entirely a consequence of reporting entities doing their job.