monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Frugal1

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 10:16 am
@Blickers,
One is too many, unless you're muslim... are you muslim?
0 Replies

Frugal1

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 10:19 am
This pertains to those that returned to attack Americans.
There are more that just went back to fighting everyone that doesn't agree, or submit to them.

At least 12 released Guantanamo detainees implicated in attacks on Americans
0 Replies

giujohn

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 10:22 am
@Blickers,
Lest we forget that we imprisoned plenty of Germans and Japanese for the duration of the war without benefit of a trial. These are enemy combatants and we're at War. And they should be held for the duration of this war.
giujohn

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 10:34 am
One result of the recent Electoral College vote has been the obvious irrelevancy of the self-anointed Hollywood class. We first saw it with Hillary's attempt at using celebrities at her rallies which did absolutely no good and now we see this group of has-been actors pleading for the electors to intervene and circumvent the process which actually reduced the number of electoral college votes for Hillary.

This, once and for all should cement the fact that the American public does not believe these Hollywood "elites" have any influence in the political process and should confine themselves to making movies and TV shows
0 Replies

Frugal1

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 10:44 am
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/15621865_602964243232912_1098062378233856274_n.jpg?oh=559b35a29ce834d1cba6114f3f368c2a&oe=58DE75FB
0 Replies

tony5732

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 11:02 am
@Blickers,
No I'm with you for the moment, I don't see any reason we could not hold trials for these people before letting them rot. Why don't we? Are these POW'so or alleged terrorists, or people were shooting at our soldiers or what?
tony5732

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 11:07 am
I'm all ears about GITMO, any relevant information and sources would be awesome. I need a little education on this subject.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 11:15 am
It's usually best for everyone if you just make enemy combatants die in battle.
0 Replies

Blickers

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 11:20 am
@giujohn,
Quote giujohn:
Quote:
Lest we forget that we imprisoned plenty of Germans and Japanese for the duration of the war without benefit of a trial. These are enemy combatants and we're at War. And they should be held for the duration of this war.

Those Japanese and German prisoners were carrying out the war policy of their country's government against the United States. The prisoners at Guantanamo come from all different countries that are not at war with the United States. They cannot be held until the end of a nonexistent war between the United States and their home countries-their countries are not at war with the United States in the first place.

Therefore, charges against them must be read and a trial must be held. Or else they get released. It's been over eight years.
Frugal1

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 11:21 am
@Blickers,
The Gitmo prisoners can be held indefinitely.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 11:31 am
@tony5732,
tony5732 wrote:

This is kind of basing an opinion off of an opinion.... I mean, who really cares what this guy has to say, conservative or liberal. It's just some off the wall comment with no substance whatsoever. A guy said something, that's cool.

Tony: Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who offers the most unsubstantiated comments of them all?

Mirror: YOU! Yes, YOU! And that's not cool.

ehBeth

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 11:39 am
@tony5732,
There have been quite a few threads about this over the years. You could look them up or google some interesting books and discussions by military lawyers who've been involved with the entire Guantanamo question.
tony5732

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 12:34 pm
@Debra Law,
That's not true at all, and I have always posted any sources of information when asked, I posted articles and news articles all the time, with facts. I just won't post things like " that guy says this", or "this girl said that".

What are you contributing Debby law?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 12:37 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

From Bush speech-writer, Michael Gerson
Quote:
The GOP is at its peak, but conservatism has hit rock bottom

...The movement is authoritarian in theory, apocalyptic in mood, prone to conspiracy theories and personal abuse, and dismissive of ethical standards. The president-elect seems to offer equal chances of constitutional crisis and utter, debilitating incompetence.
LINK

Someone on this board (whom I have now placed on ignore) responded to the above-linked opinion piece written by Bush's speech writer with a flippant "who cares", etc. To me, that mindset indicates an unwillingness to appreciate the benefits of this thread, one of which is to expose the readers/participants here to a broad range of opinions and the facts/circumstances upon which those opinions are based.

I care a great deal. I care about feeding my mind and keeping it open and it is puzzling to me that others do not share a similar thirst for knowledge and an expansion of their viewpoints. One of things I struggle with is the dissonance between the ideals of conservatism and the practices of those who claim to be conservatives. It seems to be a giant oxymoron. And the author of the commentary linked above stated:

Quote:
All of us have things to learn, even from our political opponents. The truth is out there, but it is generally broken into pieces and scattered across the human experience. We only reassemble it through listening and civil communication.

I care. I know I have things to learn. And, I would hope my "political opponents" would also care to do the same.

tony5732

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 12:40 pm
@ehBeth,
Well, thank you, but I was more less looking for someone to bring their sources to the table and explain why they think the way they do. This isn't really my area of expertise, so I don't mind playing the fool here.
giujohn

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 12:42 pm
@Blickers,
Bullshit. They've established a caliphate they pledge their allegiance to that state and we are at war with them. Anyone who aligns themselves materially assist or engages in any violent behavior on behalf of that Islamic state is subject to the classification as an enemy combatant and is not afforded any rights under our constitution they can be held indefinitely until the cessation of all hostilities.
0 Replies

giujohn

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 12:43 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

tony5732 wrote:

This is kind of basing an opinion off of an opinion.... I mean, who really cares what this guy has to say, conservative or liberal. It's just some off the wall comment with no substance whatsoever. A guy said something, that's cool.

Tony: Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who offers the most unsubstantiated comments of them all?

Mirror: YOU! Yes, YOU! And that's not cool.

Holy **** looks like you've gone round the bend.
0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 12:44 pm
@tony5732,
I knew I was opening up a can of worms bringing that piece here about the remaining prisoners being held in Gitmo. (easier for me to spell) It is something which would be necessary to watch to see how or if Trump is going to handle that issue, but perhaps this is not the thread to get bogged down on it. The fault lies with me for bringing it.
tony5732

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 01:02 pm
@revelette1,
Fair enough.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 01:07 pm
@Debra Law,
Well stated, Debra.
0 Replies