monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 02:26 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Using Quora as a reference is about the same as using A2k or any other discussion forum as a reference. Meaningless.

Do you happen to dispute a single word of what that author said? Do you have any substantive thing to say about it? Or is all your fallacious "counter-argument" confined to making snide comments about the forum on which the facts were published?
0 Replies

layman

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 02:49 pm
A real "neocon," sho nuff:

Quote:
Abortion: Hitchens opposed the overturning of Roe v. Wade

Capital punishment: Hitchens was a lifelong opponent of capital punishment.

Drug policy: Hitchens has called for the abolition of the "War on Drugs," which he described as an "authoritarian war" during a debate with William F. Buckley. Hitchens favored the legalization of cannabis for both recreational and medicinal purposes, and said, "Marijuana is a medicine

Gun rights: Although Hitchens repeatedly stated a broad support for the right to keep and bear arms, he was not an enthusiastic advocate and he rarely publicly discussed his views.

LGBT rights: Hitchens was a supporter of LGBT rights. He opposed sodomy laws and supported same-sex marriage.

NSA warrantless surveillance: In January 2006, Hitchens joined with four other individuals and four organisations, including the American Civil Liberties Union and Greenpeace, as plaintiffs in a lawsuit, ACLU v. NSA, challenging Bush's warrantless domestic spying program; the lawsuit was filed by the ACLU.

When Hitchens didn't go along with his left-wing homeys in their support for Hussein, Al Qaeda, and the Taliban, they reacted as they ALWAYS do with any opposing viewpoint. They attempted ostracize and demean Hitchens. From that day forward he was referred to as "Hitch, the Snitch" in their cheese-eatin circles.
Olivier5

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 02:57 pm
@ossobucotemp,
He was a militant atheist and virulent anticlericalist. He was good at it too but it always sounded a bit vain to me.

What we call a "priest-eater"... (bouffeur de curé)
hightor

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 03:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Lash has an active thread on the future of the "Democrat" Party.

I wonder if it's really all that necessary for a political party to have all sorts of policy positions, stated intentions, and well thought out plans. Seems to me that most of what government does is react to the unintended consequences of previous mistakes and plans gone awry. Listing a bunch of "I'm gonnas" and then not being able to do them because conditions have changed — remember Mr. Trump's promise to label China a currency manipulator — just makes a politician look ineffective. Or worse. Just have candidates list their favorite books, music, and cookie recipes.
layman

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 03:10 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Why I Left The Nation
By: Christopher Hitchens
The Nation | Friday, November 29, 2002

Just watching the sluggish stream sliding by in the past few months, I have seen the editor of CounterPunch, one of our fellow columnists, reprint a vicious and paranoid and subliterate screed, explicitly associating Jew power with the destruction of the World Trade Center.

I have read Gore Vidal's dark suggestion that September 11 was prearranged, and Norman Mailer's view that the dead of that day are no more significant than traffic accidents and Noam Chomsky's repeated assertion that Al Qaeda at its worst is no better than American foreign policy on a good day. I think I have just named some of the political and cultural centerpieces of the Nation worldview.

Why would this disagreement necessitate my departure from The Nation?

At public forums in the past several months, debating with Oliver Stone in one case and with Michael Moore in another, and with several others in between, I have heard witless applause for fatuous debating points and for fatal casuistry, and have realized that I am hearing the magazine's propaganda and attitude being played back to me.

I am against aggressive totalitarian states and I am resolutely opposed to religious fanaticism. I am also sickened by any attempt to call these hideous things by other names. Most especially in its horrible elicitation of readers' letters on the anniversary of September 11, The Nation joined the amoral side.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 03:22 pm
@Olivier5,
Anti large organization/government of all sorts. Solidly libertarian, if that's possible.

Smaller government, fewer rules, less government involvement in citizen's lives. There weren't a lot of laws, whether religious or political, that he was (wildly) in favour of.

More conservative libertarian than anything else though there were moments he approached anarchic libertarianism as described and espoused by former A2K poster @bogowo.

Hitchens was always an engaging debater/entertainer.

___

Many years ago I was at a social event attended by bogowo. Another guest was a friend of the late cavfancier. The fellow was a well-known Canadian conservative libertarian (speechwriter for a couple of Cdn conservative prime ministers). One of the best live, social, debates I've ever seen. I decided then that libertarians are the best/smartest debaters and entertainers - regardless of where they fall on the global political spectrum.
layman

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 03:53 pm
These "respectable" democrats do their best to incite their extremists to violence and then purport to piously condemn it. Bunch of bullshit, eh?

Quote:
Caught on tape: Dem official says he's 'glad' Scalise got shot

A Nebraska Democratic Party official was removed from his post on Thursday after an audio recording surfaced of him saying he's “glad” House Majority Whip Steve Scalise got shot last week.

Phil Montag, now-former co-chair of the state party’s technology committee, was recorded saying he wishes Scalise, R-La., were “dead.”

“His whole job is to get people, convince Republicans to [expletive] kick people off [expletive] health care. I’m glad he got shot,” Montag said in the audio recording. “I wish he was [expletive] dead.”

The audio was posted on YouTube. Nebraska Democratic Chairwoman Jane Kleeb confirmed to FOX 42 that the voice on the audio recording was, in fact, Montag’s.

"I did not call for the congressman’s death,” Montag reportedly said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/23/caught-on-tape-dem-official-says-hes-glad-scalise-got-shot.html

For this guy, the only "bad" thing about his homey gunning down Scalise was that he only wounded him, instead of killing him, eh?

Quote:
Kleeb removed Montag from his post just one week after Nebraska Democratic Black Caucus Chairwoman Chelsey Gentry-Tipton was asked to resign over a Facebook post about Scalise and the attack on Republicans. She did not.

She reportedly stated, “The very people that push pro NRA legislation in efforts to pad their pockets with complete disregard for human life. Yeah, having a hard time feeling bad for them.”

"Watching the congressman crying on live tv about the trauma they experienced. Why is this so funny tho?"

A barrels of yucks, sho nuff. If you're a cheese-eater.
revelette1

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 04:05 pm
@layman,
One person does not a party make.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 04:14 pm
@hightor,
Regardless of how it's precisely defined, a political party has have a recognizable identity, a brand. Otherwise what is the point of having a party?

I don't know if this is the case, but my bet would be that a lot more people base the majority of the votes they cast on a ballot, upon party affiliation rather than perceptions or knowledge of the individual candidates.

Perhaps in very high profile races like those for president, governor, big city mayor and a Senate seat there are a lot more votes based on the voter's understanding of the of the individual, but local election? Water Commissioner, County Clerk etc? I doubt that even House Reps who haven't found a way to grab the national spotlight have much name recognition let alone well known profiles in their districts.

And even when a candidate is well known, but not well liked, his or her party affiliation will often be the deciding factor of the person voting for them. I'm sure this was the case with a lot of voters in November: "I don't really like Hillary and I don't like Trump, but she's a Democrat and he's a Republican and, in general I like Democrats better than Republicans." In order to base one's vote on a calculus like this, one has to have some understanding, or at least a perception, of what it means to be a Democrat or Republican.

An effective strategy in the recent GA special election was to continuously link the unknown Ossoff who ran as a centrist, with Nancy Pelosi. Pelosi had 98% name recognition in the district and for a whole lot of people, she is the face of the Democrat Party, a personification of the Democrat Brand. Pelosi and the national brand are not hugely popular in the district (especially among Republican voters) and so they filled in the blanks they had with Ossoff with Pelosi and the Brand. They did so despite the impression they may have received from Ossoff's campaign rhetoric, and I think that demonstrates that a lot of voters don't, at all, trust campaign rhetoric and that they know (or at least strongly believe) that candidates will do or say anything to get elected and then worry later about what the voters think about them once they get on the job.

Even if Ossoff was sincere in his centrist rhetoric, the way a number of Blue Dog Democrats were during their last successful wave, once he got to DC he would have learned that the only way a low profile, first term representative was likely to accrue power or influence is to support the Party Leadership, the people who establish the Brand. Blue Dog Democrats who stayed true to the positions they ran on found themselves wandering the wastelands of DC and if they joined in on the majority's agenda in order to have any chance of being effective, when they returned to their districts, the voters, understandably, saw them as having conned them to get elected (even if they really hadn't) and refused to re-elect them.

I can't say if any of the returning Blue Dogs tried to explain to their constituents their dilemma and how they needed to go along with Party leadership if they were to have any chance of serving them, but if they did, I'm sure it wasn't persuasive. Why would anyone vote for a centrist Democrat who once elected, acted like a left wing Democrat? That the Blue Dog just had to because that's the way the system worked?

"No thanks, we wouldn't vote for Pelosi if she ran here, and voting for you was a vote for her, so pack your bags."

Of course the same dynamic can play out with Republicans, but I don't think too many Democrat voters would buy it either.

It's funny too because Democrat strategists haven't exactly kept this particular strategy secret. They'll tout it to whatever reporter asks them about it. Of course they don't add "...and the most important part of the strategy is for the guy to flip once in DC either by design or coercion," but do they really think voters are so gullible as not have figured that part out yet?
Below viewing threshold (view)
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 04:26 pm
@layman,
Quote:
"I did not call for the congressman’s death,” Montag reportedly said.

And that's the crucial distinction!

He was glad Scalise was shot and he wished he had f*cking died, but he never called for the man to be killed.

I don't see what the big deal is. He didn't pull the trigger.

Gutless Kleeb, I'm sure, caved in to the demands of hypocritical Nebraska Republicans and the local conservative news rag. Thank Goodness the Nebraska Democrat Party and its Black Caucus has a courageous social warrior like Chelsey Gentry-Tipton on board! She sure wasn't about to succumb to the cowardly instincts of quislings like Kleeb!
0 Replies

layman

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 07:25 pm
40 MS-13 members arrested in NY. 13 of them came here as "unaccompanied minors." ICE agents are happy that they are now allowed to do their job. The community is thrilled. Cheese-eaters everywhere strongly disapprove, however.

roger

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 07:44 pm
@layman,
I'm wondering if we shouldn't come up with a special definition of 'children'.
roger

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 07:51 pm
@layman,
Possibly elementary school age children. Surely, they don't all have tats up to their arm pits and down to their butt cracks, with a bunch on the face for good measure.
Lash

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 08:18 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

maporsche wrote:

1) Democrats are for universal healthcare or at the very least a comprehensive mandatory health insurance law and subsidies for those who can't afford it.

A lie to include universal healthcare in that sentence. They've obstructed universal healthcare more than once.

ICYMI. Wink
0 Replies