monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 10:50 am
@maporsche,
I'm not as far north, but the days are really long right now about 3.30am to 9.30pm.

Strictly speaking you're not going for ten days, just part of one day.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 11:31 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
It's just that remarks about French arrogance are kinda odd coming from you. You're not particularly humble yourself IMO, so it sounded a bit like "know your place, frenchie".

I'm not particularly humble either, that's a fact, but I don't try and teach you humility.
Olivier5

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 11:36 am
@revelette1,
I've said all I have to say on this topic.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 11:40 am
@maporsche,
Have fun, maporche!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 12:10 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

It's not derailing anything, other than your wish to not hear anything about it. At some point, the Dems will have to try and reflect about what went wrong in the last elections. It's painful but it needs to be done.

I certainly agree with you that the topic in question is not "derailing" this thread.

It's title specifically includes "...and relevant contemporary events." These words alone widely open the doors to discussion of a great range of loosely related (though still relevant) subjects. The originator of the thread might advise us of his intent, but in his absence, we can examine his own contributions for guidance. Blatham has, on numerous occasions, walked through the widely opened doors and introduced topics that are best characterized as loosely related. It's fair to assume then that he intended a broad definition to be applied to "relevant" and contributors are welcome to follow his lead. If his intent was actually otherwise than I'm afraid he has subverted it by not only creating a wide door with his title, but by his own multiple passages through it. Either way we are free to take off on tangents, with limited relevance, without being fairly accused of hijacking or derailment. After all, my pronouncements on valid thread content are as authoritative as any made by presumptive "Thread Bosses."

Those who don't wish to see a discussion in any thread move to or continue in a direction they don't appreciate should contribute content that might move it in the direction of which they approve. If they can provide interesting, cogent or even provocative content that engages other members they will succeed. If they can't or don't care to they can always utilize the "ignore" feature and wait for the flow to return to their favored theme or move in a direction of which they approve. They might even start a thread on the subject they find undesirable and attempt to persuade those who find it interesting to continue their discussion their. Any of these ways are far preferable to the issuance of presumptuous instructions, and/or pompously laying out the ground rules for how they will continue to respond to you as if further engagement with them is your fondest of desires.

It's also always amusing when someone leads with "Not to be a ____" and then immediately proceeds to be the very thing they deny they want to be. In this case, it's as if in the absence of blatham's presence, rev has no choice but to assume the duties of "Thread Boss" Smile

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 12:12 pm
@maporsche,
Enjoy the lamb's head soup and grilled puffin!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 12:13 pm
@Olivier5,
It was a joke...you don't have to get all hurt.

(sound familiar? Smile)
Olivier5

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 12:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
All clear then... Smile Let's go back to your reasons to find Moore repulsive. Okay he's fat. So what?

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 12:33 pm
@Olivier5,
Fat Waller was a dude, in the fashion sense of the word. Moore is slovenly. I find that repellent.
Olivier5

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 12:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
He may look untidy but I wish all documentary makers were as precise and effective as he is. Edit: I also wish more would pay attention to what he says, as opposed to his look. Point well taken that one has to be in better shape to become president.

layman

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 01:04 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

He may look untidy but I wish all documentary makers were as precise and effective as he is. Edit: I also wish more would pay attention to what he says, as opposed to his look.

That's his problem, eh, Ollie. People have paid (some) attention to what he has to say. It aint nuthin purty.

Chris Hitchens, a lefty in the extreme, had this to say about Moore's film:

Christopher Hitchens wrote:
The Lies of Michael Moore: Unfairenheit 9/11

To describe this film as dishonest and demagogic would almost be to promote those terms to the level of respectability. To describe this film as a piece of crap would be to run the risk of a discourse that would never again rise above the excremental. To describe it as an exercise in facile crowd-pleasing would be too obvious. Fahrenheit 9/11 is a sinister exercise in moral frivolity, crudely disguised as an exercise in seriousness. It is also a spectacle of abject political cowardice masking itself as a demonstration of "dissenting" bravery....

I ever quite know whether Moore is as ignorant as he looks, or even if that would be humanly possible.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2004/06/unfairenheit_911.html

There a full review there, with nothing but scorn for Moore.

It figures that you would fall hook, line, and sinker for his bullshit, and think he's a fit candidate for president. Wise up, Ollie.
Olivier5

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 01:40 pm
@layman,
When he wrote those words, Hitchens was a neocon, fully supportive of the ill-fated Iraq war of Bush. Not a leftist in my book. Regardless, he was always a fool. I'm not too surprised you'd fall for him.
wmwcjr

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 01:54 pm
@Olivier5,
But ... but ... but ... he did write an expose of Henry Kissinger. Smile

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/518obm1rMzL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
0 Replies

layman

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 01:55 pm
@Olivier5,
Nice try, Ollie. Hitchens was NEVER a "neocon." He was a devout commie all his life. Even a commie who wasn't stupid would know better than to molly-coddle muslim terrorists.
layman

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 02:02 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Hitchens as a young man was an ardent Trotskyist and a rabid anti-war crusader. He remained as such through his years as a writer at The New Statesman and when he moved to the States. He moved to the States as part of an editor-exchange between The New Statesman and The Nation.

At the leftist periodical, The Nation, he wrote scathingly against neo-con policies of then President Reagan, continuing to do such towards the George W. Bush administration -- he was adamantly opposed to the first Gulf War (Desert Storm).

With the election of Bill Clinton, who many considered liberal, Hitchens did not. He observed the neo-liberal policies of the Clinton administration as being pro-corporate business, and against the common citizen. He despised the welfare reform Clinton enacted and was beyond disgust with the Monica Lewinsky affair -- he claimed Clinton was a serial-rapist since his days as Governor of Arkansas.

But Hitchens pointed out the hypocrisy of the right-wing motive for prosecuting Clinton solely for political-gain. It is with the advent of the 9/11 terror attacks that the political views of Hitchens markedly change course. He remained liberal on social-issues, but at this time his views of foreign-policy changed. He was always a militant atheist. Feeling that the hypocrisy of fundamental-religion spawned nothing but ill for the world, 9/11 confirmed his convictions. Thus he wrote approvingly of the west's invasion of Afghanistan and cheered heartily for the eradication of the Islamic Taliban, and the terrorist group, Al Qaeda.

https://www.quora.com/How-did-Christopher-Hitchenss-political-views-change-over-time

Quote:
Hitchens' employment of the term "Islamofascist" and his support for the Iraq War caused his critics to label him a "neoconservative". Hitchens, however, refused to embrace this designation, insisting, "I'm not any kind of conservative." In the years after the fatwa issued against Salman Rushdie in response to his novel The Satanic Verses, Hitchens became increasingly critical of what he called "excuse making" on the left. In 2005, Hitchens criticised the abuse of prisoners in Abu Ghraib.

ehBeth

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 02:06 pm
@layman,
Using Quora as a reference is about the same as using A2k or any other discussion forum as a reference. Meaningless.
ehBeth

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 02:07 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Regardless, he was always a fool. I'm not too surprised you'd fall for him.

this 100%

___

Certainly an engaging writer and debater, but counting on him for facts? not recommended.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 02:11 pm
@Olivier5,
He lost me in the neocon fog, but I remember liking him to start with, when I first read him, whenever that was.
revelette1

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 02:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Don't worry, I'll step down when Blatham gets back; in the meantime, just call me boss lady. It'll be a heady experience. (jk)

0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 02:17 pm
@layman,
As I said, always a fool.
0 Replies