The Democrat Party 2017

Lash

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 04:05 am
It appears that what Americans have known as the Democrat or Democratic Party is gasping its last ragged breaths.

Beginning with Bill Clinton's famous Third Way centrism, the party began incremental steps to the right--and now, they've arrived. Accusations against Republicans for taking Koch money are met with derision because the Democrats also take money from the Kochs. Many failings the Republicans have been blasted for, the Democrats are also guilty of.

Their failure to find a marginally palatable candidate for 2016 has left us with Donald Trump in the Oval Office with his fingers near important buttons.

The DNC's unrepentant cheating during the primaries and their continued freezing out of a large, party-donating, activist, progressive wing of the party selects them for extinction.

One progressive, who has been shouting in the wilderness about this death spiral for months speaks out again. Michael Moore.

No message, no plan, no leaders.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/338811-michael-moore-dems-have-no-message-no-plan-no-leaders

Lash

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 04:13 am
The Guardian
Why Democrats keep losing.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/21/jon-ossoff-georgia-democrats-party-establishment

Like his party, Ossoff didn't stand for anything.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 04:21 am
Exactly. The Dems' encephalogram is flat. They're technically dead even though they don't know about it yet.

Michael Moore for president!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 04:28 am
Exactly what I have been preaching myself. The party itself, instead of regarding such information as a call to interparty warfare, should heed the message and take appropriate action. Not likely, but it would be a best alternative to a blood bath.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 04:32 am
@Lash,
Quote:
The DNC's unrepentant cheating during the primaries...

You keep bringing this up — can you explain how "cheating" occurred? Thanks.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 04:37 am
@hightor,
We ran hundreds of posts and threads about it while it was going on. I for one have done with trying to explain that, because our pleas and information were rejected as we reported it. I don't see any plus in beating head against wall any further.
Lash

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 04:54 am
@hightor,
What Edgar said.
Google it.
------------------------------------------------

Looks like some Dems are trying to stop the bleeding by calling for Pelosi's removal from leadership. This could possibly work, but only if the she's replaced by a progressive. Chances of that happening...? Yeah, forget I said it.

The other thing that struck me in the article linked below: Ossoff was openly courting Republicans. I heard Hillary talk about one big party, a big purple space of agreement. I'm really getting the impression that this idea of one big national party may have been officially adopted by the Dems. Hillary's loss blew that plan to hell, but they can't or won't adjust. It's like a slo mo Hindenburg crash. Like on a field of flammable dinosaurs...

They're too stiffnecked to change course in response to all these losses.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/21/us/pelosi-georgia-ossoff-democrats.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

I don't think all her millions will keep her in leadership. The knives are coming out.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 04:55 am
@hightor,
The DNC favored Clinton. There are also indications that some of the Super Tuesday primaries in the South that gave Clinton a hedge were manipulated.
hightor

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 05:37 am
@edgarblythe,
Okay, sorry for bringing it up. I thought OP might be referring to the "super-delegates" , the rules of which were well known and there for all to see.

Good luck with your efforts.
Lash

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 05:37 am
This was interesting from David Gergen.

Dems, take this as a warning. Trump is doing better than you think he is. Gergen also says Trump is taking a "deserved victory lap."

How can you not beat this guy!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/21/politics/david-gergen-donald-trump-victory-lap-rally-erin-burnett-outfront-cnntv/index.html
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 05:38 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
The DNC favored Clinton.

Most Democrats did as well.
Lash

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 05:43 am
@hightor,
That is under contention.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 05:47 am
News about the #DNCFRAUDLAWSUIT

A major American political party is arguing that they have the right to defraud voters and railroad the people toward their preferred candidate.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsweek.com/dnc-fraud-lawsuit-claims-bernie-sanders-would-have-won-rigged-election-hillary-611165%3Famp%3D1
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 05:58 am
@hightor,
I'm not trying to be combative.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 07:32 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Most Democrats did as well.

Irrelevant. Voters chose whom they vote for, of course, but the referee (DNC) is supposed to be impartial.
hightor

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 09:04 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Irrelevant.

It's somewhat relevant if people are claiming that the will of the voters was thwarted. No one voted for the DNC.
Quote:
...but the referee (DNC) is supposed to be impartial.

I never thought of the DNC that way; I always considered them an arm of the political establishment and I didn't find their reaction to Mr. Sanders to be particularly surprising. He could have avoided all the crap with them if he'd run as an independent or a Green.

I still feel that reforming our election laws is the most critical element in restoring any pretense of representative democracy. Ranked choice voting, repeal of Citizens United, politically impartial election districts, maybe some measure of public financing.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 09:12 am
@hightor,
I agree Bernie should have run as an independent. He trusted people that should not have been trusted. Next time, hopefully.

With him or someone like him in the WH, your reforms stand a chance. Without him, they're dead on departure.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 09:26 am
The real focus here is the Democratic party: Will it evolve or die. Ever since the days of Richard Nixon it has lost ground. Even when they controlled congress they were losing the country. As Democrats spoke up for a few liberal objectives they lost ground in all other respects. Clinton moved the party to the right in a drastic way and congressional Dems went for the money over the people. By the time Obama got elected the states were mostly Republican. Obama and the Senate did nothing to correct any of it and Hillary only promised more of the same. As a result, Democrats control virtually nothing and they seem to prefer it that way to surrendering any leadership roles to liberals.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 06:37 pm
I don't think splitting the Democrats into two parties goes far enough.

Let's split them into 10 and see if the Republicans can carry all 50 states.
Kolyo

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 09:33 pm
Maybe the people who haven't voted for the Democratic party in the last 20 years, and who go out of their way to get its name wrong, but who apparently know what's best for it, should form a new party. They could call that new party the Democrat party.