monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 03:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

maporsche wrote:

I can't remember anyone ever saying that Hillary was invincible? She had the 2nd highest negatives of any presidential politician ever. She was running to be the first female president in our nations history. She's been hated and scorned for almost 30 years by the right. There were so many cracks in that armor.

It's pretty clear that despite her flaws as a campaigner, a public official, and as a human being, the Democrat Establishment, their allies in the MSM, and True Blue among the rank and file, were certain that she was going to win. I think one of george's points is that while yes, there was certainly no rational reason to believe she was invincible, she campaigned and her allies and supporters acted as if she was. That they truly believed she was, and weren't hiding their fears and concerns behind a facade of confidence, was demonstrated by the widespread shock and despair they clearly and uniformly displayed when she lost. Obviously, a significant and decisive number of American voters were all too cognizant of the flaws that didn't really bother the elites and zealots, or she would have won. (And if this isn't george's point, it is mine Smile )

I think there is some excitement displayed in every election about a person's chosen candidate. And hyperbolic speech isn't only a 'leftist' trait.

I thought Hillary was going to win too. No so much because of who she was, but because of who she was against. If I was forced to bet, I'd have bet Hillary 4 out of 5 times. You probably would have too, if you were honest. I think Trump supporters were as surprised that HE won as Hillary supporters were that she lost.

Quote:

Quote:
What people were surprised about were how many people had no problem electing Donald Trump (or at least, compared to Clinton).

A far more accurate statement would be "What Clinton supporters were surprised about were how many people had no problem electing Donald Trump (or at least, compared to Clinton)" and my response to it would be

"No kidding?"

First of all, Trump wasn't elected solely by a group of voters who believe he was without flaws, in fact most of his voters recognized his flaws. What you and those who think like you can't wrap your head around was that the Trump voters who recognized his flaws, also recognized hers and decided that, for a president, his were more acceptable than hers. It certainly did mean that they were blind to his flaws or that they all embraced them (some, of course, did to the extent that they saw them operating as virtues if he exercised control).

Yeah, it's the "his were more acceptable than hers" part that I really can't get my head around. Still can't. But it's not just about a person's flaws to me, it's also about the agenda they'll support. That means more to me than any specific candidate.

Quote:

Since the election it appears that the Democrat Party hasn't bothered to examine their brand, or if they have, they haven't found any problems with it. In practice, they seem to have decided to intensely reinforce the brand, or those elements of it most rejected by Trump voters, rather than attempt to modify them to attract those voters the next time around.

To say that the DNC hasn't done any soul searching since the election, while I have no proof, I simply can't imagine that it hasn't happened. And I'm still having a very hard time figuring out what is wrong with their brand in the minds of those on the left. The ones who seem so against the DNC (from the left, not from the right) can't seem to offer any specific changes they'd like to see.

Quote:

Quote:
I think back to all the claims of impropriety and character flaws that I seen the right throw to the left...and here we have Trump, who is the personification of most of those flaws. Guess those things don't matter too much after all.

This is another classic reaction to a major loss. Blame those who voted for the other guy, the other brand and not the losing candidate or brand.
It may be an understandable manifestation of human nature, but it in no way will win future elections, particularly when it represents a key element of the losing brand that led a significant and decisive number of voters to reject it.

Not saying it's going win future elections, but it's going to make arguing on message boards a lot more fun.
layman

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 05:18 pm
This was a rather informative article, I thought:

Quote:
Canadian sniper sets world record with 2.2-mile pickoff of ISIS thug

A Canadian sniper set what appears to be a record, picking off an ISIS fighter from some 2.2 miles away, and disrupting a potentially deadly operation by the terror group in Iraq.

Shooting experts say the fatal shot at a world-record distance of 11,316 feet underscores how stunningly sophisticated military snipers are becoming. Ryan Cleckner, a former U.S. Army Ranger sniper called the feat an “incredible” accomplishment, one that owes as much if not more to the spotter’s expertise than the shooter's skill.

“The spotter would have had to successfully calculate five factors: distance, wind, atmospheric conditions and the speed of the earth’s rotation at their latitude,” Cleckner told Fox News.

“Because wind speed and direction would vary over the two miles the bullet traveled, the true challenge here was being able to calculate the actual wind speed and direction all the way to the target.”

Atmospheric conditions also would have posed a huge challenge for the spotter.

“To get the atmospheric conditions just right, the spotter would have had to understand the temperature, humidity and barometric pressure of the air the round had to travel through.

“The key to having a sniper round travel that far and hit a small target has less to do with speed and more to do with the efficiency with which the projectile moves through the air,” he said.

That’s because while sniper bullets exit the muzzle at several times the speed of sound they eventually slow down to less than the speed of sound, and at that point they become less stable. An efficiently designed bullet reduces that instability, he explained.

Cleckner said that while the ammunition that Canadian special forces use in the TAC-50 is “off-the-charts powerful,” with some 13,000 foot-pounds of force when it comes out of the muzzle, the speed of a bullet, a 750-grain Hornady round, is not as important as the aerodynamic efficiency of the bullet.

The new record was set using a McMillan TAC-50, a .50-caliber weapon and the largest shoulder-fired firearm in existence.

"distance, wind, atmospheric conditions and the speed of the earth’s rotation at their latitude..had to understand the temperature, humidity and barometric pressure of the air." These guys aint playin, eh?

If some homey of mine suddenly got his ass dropped, I wouldn't be lookin for someone over 2 miles away. I would just start blastin anything I could see that moved.
McGentrix

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 05:42 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Check out CNN's two bits worth:

Quote:
Democrats just went 0-4. When will they win?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/21/politics/democrats-georgia-elections-analysis/index.html

0-5, don't forget Trump prime...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 05:46 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

And the republicans can get a pile-o-**** in the white house and ridicule America with it. So?

No, Clinton lost where it counts.
Debra Law

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 06:24 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

I've no idea how to kick up the dem party. I've always been more local re contacts, etc.: don't know national party workings.

I'm mixed - am for dumping the apparatus but keeping the people who call themselves democrats. A whole new party?

Maybe I could go for it, but think of multiplied skirmishes happening up the wazoo even to set it up.

In case anyone doesn't know, I'm a lefty.

There needs to be an awakening, and that may only happen when people are suffering.

When more and more average middle-class citizens have to take out second and third mortgages on their homes to pay medical bills, more eyes will open.

When more and more states start giving vouchers worth many thousands of dollars to rich people to subsidize their kids private school educations, (i.e., private schools that middle class people can't afford even with the vouchers), while public schools are stripped of funding, then more eyes will open.

When unregulated corporations accelerate the pollution of our air, water, and land, more eyes will open.

When more wars are fought and more of our sons and daughters are brought home maimed or in body bags, more eyes will open.

And on, and on, and on.

Debra Law

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 06:41 pm
Here's the Senate healthcare proposal called the "Better Care Reconciliation Act of 2017":

https://www.cotton.senate.gov/files/documents/170622SENATEHEALTHCARE.pdf

Edited to add another link from the U.S. Senate Committee on the Budget:

https://www.budget.senate.gov/bettercare
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 07:29 pm
@Debra Law,
I agree.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
maporsche

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 08:09 pm
@Debra Law,
1) Democrats are for universal healthcare or at the very least a comprehensive mandatory health insurance law and subsidies for those who can't afford it.

2) Democrats are against school vouchers and for increased school funding.

3) Democrats have implemented just about every pro-environment step the USA has taken. I agree that it hasn't gone far enough, but it's closer than it's ever been and was on track to get better. Democrats in the the state governments are taking the lead now.

maporsche

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 08:14 pm
@maporsche,
And I'll point out, on these 3 issues, the far left only disagrees in that the proposals may not go far enough for their liking (i.e. $10 vs $15 federal minimum wage) while the Republican party is often for a complete reversal.

To imply that Democrats and Republicans are in any way the same party, well that's just crazy. I know the Republicans wouldn't agree.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 08:22 pm
@revelette1,
You are most definitely a centrist. A Clintonite.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 08:25 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I think there is some excitement displayed in every election about a person's chosen candidate. And hyperbolic speech isn't only a 'leftist' trait.

True, and of course hyperbolic speech isn't only a 'leftist' trait, who has argued that it is? The point I am trying to make (I'm not going to speak for george anymore) is that the flaws that led to her defeat were obvious and yet they were ignored. Perhaps the biggest mistake she made (and I think it flowed from a flaw, but it needn't have in order to make my point) was to dismiss the dissatisfaction and concerns of the largely white working class who for quite some time had been the base of the Democrat party, and still represented a large segment of that base. A great many of the people who didn't vote for Clinton, did vote for Obama, but despite her husband (who on his worst day was 100 times the politician she was on her best) telling her and her campaign that they were making a big mistake by dismissing this group, she did anyway. The election was close enough that if she had listened to Bill early enough it could have made the difference she needed to win.

Quote:
I thought Hillary was going to win too. No so much because of who she was, but because of who she was against. If I was forced to bet, I'd have bet Hillary 4 out of 5 times. You probably would have too, if you were honest. I think Trump supporters were as surprised that HE won as Hillary supporters were that she lost.

Just a little tip for you to consider: When you use "you would too if you were honest" you are announcing, in advance of any response, that you believe that if the person disagrees with you, they are lying. Now if that's the message you want to send, OK, but it's damned arrogant and it implies not only that you are 100% correct but that you can read people's minds. I don't think you are 100% right or that you can read my mind, and if you want to insist that, as a result, I'm a liar then all I can say is f*ck you. However I'm betting that it's not what you intend to convey so I'm going to respond as if you didn't use the arrogant phrase.

I'll admit that I was surprised when I woke in the morning and found that Trump had won, but nowhere near as much as you and most Democrats likely were (and if you're honest you will admit that's true). After the first hour or two of returns I thought I was watching an upset unfold, but I tend to be a pessimist in most situations and when she started narrowing the gap, I figured it would end in her victory if only because I've conditioned myself over the years to expect the worst so that whatever happens can't be a disappointment. I did think he was the underdog throughout the race but my betting on the outcome would have switched back and forth throughout. I know a lot of people who were convinced he was going to win from the beginning and I never thought they were crazy, and guess what? Not only weren't they, they were right. Again though it wasn't just confidence in her winning that hurt her chance of winning. Every candidate should be confident. As we now know though, it was a blinding arrogant confidence that led her and her campaign to ignore both more seasoned politicians and operatives on the ground.

Quote:
Yeah, it's the "his were more acceptable than hers" part that I really can't get my head around. Still can't. But it's not just about a person's flaws to me, it's also about the agenda they'll support. That means more to me than any specific candidate.

Well, if Democrat strategists can't get their head around it, they're going to lose again. I've no doubt the election wasn't all about personal flaws for you but your original point was.

Quote:
To say that the DNC hasn't done any soul searching since the election, while I have no proof, I simply can't imagine that it hasn't happened.

I'm sure there has been all sorts of navel gazing. I wrote it "seemed" like it hasn't, because the brand isn't changing, it's being intensified and the people that have argued it needs to change have been ignored and maybe even ostracized. If you lose a race that you and a whole lot of other people believe you could have and should have won, something went wrong. The easy way out is to blame it all on the candidate and that's usually what happens immediately after the first devastating defeat, but the Democrats have taken it a step further and are blaming everyone but the candidate and their brand: Idiot voters, James Comey, the despicable dirty tactics of the Trump campaign, misogyny, the Electoral College and of course The Russians! Any and all of those things might have had an influence on the outcome, but focusing on them (for which a whole lot can't be done) to the exclusion of internal failure (for which a whole lot can be done) is thick headed and short sighted and is likely to lead to additional defeats.

Quote:
And I'm still having a very hard time figuring out what is wrong with their brand in the minds of those on the left. The ones who seem so against the DNC (from the left, not from the right) can't seem to offer any specific changes they'd like to see.

Well the couple of Dems who I've seen recently criticize the brand were pretty specific: The brand is increasingly becoming associated with obsessive hysteria and political warfare. According to one of the guys, no one he has spoken with in his district seems to give a damn about the the Russian Investigation. It's healthcare and the economy they care about and they see the Dems being almost fanatically concerned with the former to the exclusion of the latter, but that's my read. I'm pretty sure that if you look you'll find their specifics. Of course there are a bunch of Young Turks who would like to see the Old Dinosaurs like Pelosi step aside and give them their shot, so there's undoubtedly some aspect of power politics at play, but they still need for the party to win if their power is going to grow no matter who is leading it, so they definitely have a big stake in winning elections.

Quote:
Not saying it's going win future elections, but it's going to make arguing on message boards a lot more fun.

There's that, but then you're not responsible for bringing in election victories for the party. If the people who do have that responsibility care more about the visceral satisfaction they get from calling a large section of the population a bunch of moronic slobs (or words to that effect) than about winning elections, you're going to have all the fun you can stand from blaming the people who won't elect Democrats.
0 Replies

roger

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 08:27 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Well, ya know something other than post content is involved when PETA cheese-eaters give you 6 downvotes for postin a cute little animal video, eh?

Maybe it shows jackasses can work together, too.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 08:40 pm
@Debra Law,
Makes sense except you need to substitute "if" for "when" and not be such a glass half empty sort.

How many "average middle-class citizens" have to take out second and third mortgages on their home to pay medical bills right now? There must be some number of them, because you're assuming an increase.

How many states (and which ones) are now giving vouchers to rich people that are worth more than those they give to middle class or lower class people? Generally speaking, lower class parents are big fans of vouchers to use to send their kids to schools that are a hell of a lot better that the ones in their ghettos, but Democrats with financial ties to the Teachers' Union are frustrating their wishes. Maybe the way to go is to get a lot more of these folks and those in the middle class vouchers and stop worrying about a problem with upper-class vouchers that doesn't even exist.

All the reports that I've seen say that pollution in this country (including CO2 emissions) is on the decline, and not increasing. Do you have links to show me I'm misinformed or is this another prediction?

Right now there are no new wars that weren't being fought before Trump was elected. Do you have predictions for where these new wars will be fought, when and over what?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 12:19 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
If distorting truth was revolting to you, you would revolt against Trump, who lies through his teeth every singly day and hour. Moore is merely caricaturing his case, but his facts are generally correct. And Trump is a fatso too. So your answer is unconvincing. There must be something else, like him saying things you don't want to hear.
Olivier5

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 12:29 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

And the republicans can get a pile-o-**** in the white house and ridicule America with it. So?

No, Clinton lost where it counts.

So what? The Republicans STILL got a pile-o-**** in the White House and it DOES ridicule America.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 12:56 am
Quote:
Four Arab states have sent Qatar a list of 13 demands it must meet if it wants them to lift their blockade, news agencies report.
Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain are asking the Gulf state to shut down its broadcaster, Al Jazeera.
They are also asking Qatar to reduce ties with Iran and close a Turkish military base - all within 10 days.
Qatar denies funding terrorism and encouraging regional instability.
It has been subjected to more than two weeks of unprecedented diplomatic and economic sanctions, in the worst Gulf crisis in decades.
The list was announced after US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson urged Qatar's neighbours to make their demands "reasonable and actionable".
Correspondents say there has been frustration in Washington, which is seeking to resolve the dispute, over the time taken by the Saudis and others to formalise their demands.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40378221

So the truth finally comes out, the biggest sponsor of Islamist terrorism wants to continue dominating the region and silencing the press. It was always about Al Jazeera and never about Qatari support for terrorists.

This is a giant step backwards in the ME.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 01:21 am
Quote:
A dispute between the UK and Mauritius over disputed island territory in the Indian Ocean is to be referred to the International Court of Justice (ICJ).
The UN General Assembly voted by 94 countries to 15 that The Hague should examine the legal status of the Chagos Islands.
The former British colony used to be part of Mauritius but was detached in 1965 and is now home to a US airbase.
The Foreign Office said it would be an "inappropriate" use of the ICJ.
"This is a disappointing outcome," a Foreign Office spokesman said: "Sovereignty of the British Indian Ocean Territory is clearly a matter for the UK and Mauritius to resolve ourselves.
"Taking this dispute to the International Court of Justice is an inappropriate use of the ICJ mechanism."
Mauritius, which gained independence from Britain in 1968, argues that the UK broke international law when it separated off the islands before granting Mauritius its independence.
'Embarrassing defeat'
Deigo Garcia, the largest of the group of islands, was leased to the US in 1966.
Families were forced to leave the Chagos Islands in the 1960s and 1970s to make way for a US Air Force base on Diego Garcia, which is leased until 2036.
The Foreign Office said it did not recognise Mauritius's claim to sovereignty over the islands - but that it would return the islands when they were no longer needed for defence.
"We have committed to cede them to Mauritius when the territory is no longer required for defence purposes," the spokesman said.
"At present it plays an important role in regional and global security, helping to keep the UK, US and other allies, including Mauritius, safe."
The government said it would "robustly defend" its position ahead of the ICJ's decision, which would not be legally binding.
Most EU countries abstained from the vote, which BBC diplomatic correspondent James Landale described as an "embarrassing diplomatic defeat" for the UK.
He said it signalled that Britain's diplomatic clout had waned after the vote for Brexit.
In 2015, the UK Supreme Court denied a legal challenge by former islanders to return to Chagos after being removed more than 40 years ago.
The court rejected claims that islanders suffered a "significant injustice" by being forcibly removed from their homeland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40376673

A step in the right direction.

https://justiceinconflict.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/chagos-islander-rosemond-sameenaden.jpeg?w=640

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/510e7e_073dd3d05d1c4309a7440996bea8c653.png_256
0 Replies