monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 11:40 am
@layman,
I don't disagree. I was discussing whether or not his campaign rhetoric could be used to argue intent.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 11:43 am
@maporsche,
I imagine he might have said along the way that it fulfilled his promise to keep America safe, so if you have tweet at the ready you can save it.
maporsche

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 11:46 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I imagine he might have said along the way that it fulfilled his promise to keep America safe, so if you have tweet at the ready you can save it.

Ok...but does that change your view as to whether or not courts should or could consider things said on the campaign trail?
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 11:46 am
@maporsche,
As to Part II of your question: At this point the issue of what the president can and cannot do in terms of immigration and executive orders, and whether or not a court can surmise intent from comments made over the text of the order, is far more important that the original EO, which I never thought was all that significant to begin with.

The case needs to be decided by the USC and I'm sure it will be.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 11:51 am
@giujohn,
I care to the extent that Trump impacts the whole world. He polutes it, in more ways than one.

I've always be anti-communist, by the way.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 12:42 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
...it wasn't malicious like Trump and his deals with Comey.

Really?

Do you honestly think that Clinton wasn't aware of and didn't approve the smear campaigns his wife and surrogates waged against the women who revealed they had affairs with him?

By contrast what was particularly malicious about Trump's dealings with Comey? We know Comey leaked his memos to attack Trump. You can believe his self-serving testimony in which he implied that he did so for the sake of the country. As a rather zealous defender of HRC, I'm sure you thought his 20 minute press briefing and his reopening of the closed case right at the end of the campaign was strictly for the good of the country too. Right?

The appointment of a Special Counsel to investigate any actions of the president or his advisers is never considered a political benefit by anyone. Very much the exact opposite. His opposition began clamoring for one the minute he was elected because they knew that, if nothing else, it would consume the White House and retard Trump's political agenda. If Comey knew there was no evidence of collusion, (it certainly looks like he did) that Trump wasn't under investigation (to which he admitted), and didn't truly believe the alleged conversations amounted to obstruction (If he did believe it, why didn't he report them to the DOJ or Congress? His explanation for not doing so is not satisfactory and will certainly be used in Trump's defense if it ever gets that far), then an attempt to ensure the appointment of a Special Counsel to investigate the man who fired you could easily be interpreted as being motivated by malice.

I understand that the NYT is reporting that Comey may have been the source of other leaks, while he was FBI Director. If that's true, it shreds any pretense of his integrity. I don't know if Trump somehow knew Comey was a source of leaks, but if he did, I wouldn't blame him for not treating him as a friend or even someone worthy of respect. Referring to someone as nut-job is certainly not gentile, but at least he took on the job of "slandering" a political enemy rather than passing off the dirty business to surrogates like Mr. Malice, James Carville, who, keep in mind, was attacking women whose only "offense" was to admit to having sexual congress with his boss and benefactor.

The Ragin' Cajun wrote:
"If you drag a hundred dollar bill through a trailer park, you never know what you'll find,"

[quote="revelette1]At least he publically (sic) admitted he mislead the whole American public and his wife and family and he tried to make amends and didn't fight the disbarring or the settlement with Paula Jones. He said he wanted it over by that time to just go away. [/quote]

I bet he did.

It never occurred to you that he didn't fight the contempt charge, the suspension of his Arkansas law license and disbarment from the USC Bar, because he knew he was guilty and didn't want to risk worse consequences by fighting?

Here's what an entry in Wikipedia has to say about the matter:

Quote:
On April 12, 1999, Wright found Clinton in contempt of court for "intentionally false" testimony in Jones v. Clinton, fined him $90,000, and referred the case to the Arkansas Supreme Court's Committee on Professional Conduct, as Clinton still possessed a law license in Arkansas.[1]

The Arkansas Supreme Court suspended Clinton's Arkansas law license in April 2000. On January 19, 2001, Clinton agreed to a five-year suspension and a $25,000 fine in order to avoid disbarment and to end the investigation of Independent Counsel Robert Ray (Starr's successor).

On October 1, 2001, Clinton's U.S. Supreme Court law license was suspended, with 40 days to contest his disbarment. On November 9, 2001, the last day for Clinton to contest the disbarment, he opted to resign from the Supreme Court Bar, surrendering his license, rather than facing penalties related to disbarment.

In the end, Independent Counsel Ray said:

"The Independent Counsel’s judgment that sufficient evidence existed to prosecute President Clinton was confirmed by President Clinton’s admissions and by evidence showing that he engaged in conduct prejudicial to the administration of justice."

More specifically, the Independent Counsel concluded that President Clinton testified falsely on three counts under oath in Clinton v. Jones. However, Ray chose to decline criminal prosecution in favor of what the Principles of Federal Prosecution call "alternative sanctions". This included being impeached:

"As a consequence of his conduct in the Jones v. Clinton civil suit and before the federal grand jury, President Clinton incurred significant administrative sanctions. The Independent Counsel considered seven non-criminal alternative sanctions that were imposed in making his decision to decline prosecution: (1) President Clinton’s admission of providing false testimony that was knowingly misleading, evasive, and prejudicial to the administration of justice before the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas; (2) his acknowledgement that his conduct violated the Rules of Professional Conduct of the Arkansas Supreme Court; (3) the five-year suspension of his license to practice law and $25,000 fine imposed on him by the Circuit Court of Pulaski County, Arkansas; (4) the civil contempt penalty of more than $90,000 imposed on President Clinton by the federal court for violating its orders; (5) the payment of more than $850,000 in settlement to Paula Jones; (6) the express finding by the federal court that President Clinton had engaged in contemptuous conduct; and (7) the substantial public condemnation of President Clinton arising from his impeachment."

These seven sanctions, Ray reasoned, were "sufficient", and therefore he did not pursue further sanctions in a criminal proceeding.[2]

I'm not certain how the author(s) know why Clinton took the actions he did as outlined in the bold type sections, but if they are assumptions, they are certainly more reasonable than "He did it for the good of the country!"

The independent counsel's finding as relates to Clinton's misdeeds and his belief they were subject to criminal prosecution is in red font. Hardly sounds like he thought they were trivial.

As to why he was not tried after he left office, the entry addresses that as well. Sort of like Trump's thinking that Flynn has been punished enough.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 12:44 pm
@maporsche,
No it doesn't.
0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 01:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, I read your later post, the fact is Bill Clinton was never charged with perjury in a court of law much less convicted. So layman's post is bull crap. Bill Clinton admitted to making false statements and apologized for it. In my judgement, it was enough for what he did. He has had to live with that legacy all these years and in the end it was nothing but a sexual matter. I am done discussing this.
Baldimo

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 01:26 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
He has had to live with that legacy all these years and in the end it was nothing but a sexual matter. I am done discussing this.

He didn't have to live with anything negative, in fact they are wealthier and more popular among the DNC base then ever before. In fact the left-wing media has pretty much covered his ass since he left office. If he had to live with what he did, his wife's political career would have also suffered and we see how well she has done over the last 20 years...
0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 01:27 pm
Quote:
WASHINGTON - A friend of former FBI Director James Comey said on Tuesday he is turning over any memos of Comey's conversations with President Donald Trump in his possession to the FBI, MSNBC reported.

It said the friend, Columbia Law School professor Daniel Richman, confirmed to NBC News that "he's now turning over any Comey memos that he has in his possession to the FBI."

Comey, who was fired by Trump last month, said in congressional testimony last week that he gave a memo describing his conversations with Trump to a close friend and told him to share its contents with a reporter.

MSNBC reported that Richman also said Robert Mueller, the special counsel leading an investigation into Russian links with the Trump campaign during the 2016 U.S. presidential elections, has been in touch with the Senate Judiciary Committee to discuss how the panel can get access to the memos.

Reuters
0 Replies

layman

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 01:35 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Bill Clinton was never charged with perjury in a court of law much less convicted.

Clinton was "convicted of perjury in a court of law" when he was adjudged guilty and fined for contempt of court.

Clinton lied so much in that case that the judge finally ordered him to stop lying under oath.

When a judge gives you a direct order, and you disobey it, that's "contempt of court."

Clinton ignored it, and just kept lying. Hence the contempt of court conviction.

Nice try, cheese-eater.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 01:44 pm
Fake news reported that Sessions had a "third" undisclosed meeting with the russian ambassador. Based on an "anonymous source," no doubt.

Sessions just testified, under oath, that the story was false.

Golly, gee....I just don't know WHO to believe, eh?

Quote:
Sessions Testimony: Suggestion of Colluding With Russians an ‘Appalling’ Lie

In his opening statement, Mr. Sessions said any suggestion that he participated in or was aware of any collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russian government to undermine the democratic process “is an appalling and detestable lie.”

Mr. Sessions also denied talking to any Russian official in the Mayflower Hotel in Washington at an event in April 2016, rejecting reports that he may have had an undisclosed meeting with the Russian ambassador, Sergey I. Kislyak, at that event.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/13/us/politics/jeff-sessions-testimony.html?_r=0
0 Replies

nimh

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 02:12 pm
@layman,
And as if we conjured it up, today's Gallup has Trump's disapproval rating up to a record 60%. I guess Comey didn't help him after all.

It took Bush almost five years to get to a disapproval rating this high. Obama, Bill Clinton and even Jimmy Carter never did.
nimh

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 02:22 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Strange... Rasmussen

Not strange at all... just Rasmussen.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2017/05/Polls.jpg&w=1484
nimh

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 02:40 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:
You're prolly a commie so wouldn't you be in favor of him helping the Ruskies?

You're aware Russia hasn't been remotely communist for 26 years?
giujohn

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 02:43 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Quote Olivier 5:
Quote:
Your president conspired with the Russian mafia clique in order to get elected. He's a traitor.

The evidence is pouring in that Trump is indeed a Putin collaborator. Trump defenders increasingly have to look at themselves and realize they've slowly become Putin's Fifth Column.

Pouring in Gracie? You libitards kill me...ok his impeachment is certainly imminent then huh?...take the bet...your screen name against mine...now don't be a 🐔 (cluck cluck) have the courage of your convictions!
giujohn

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 02:45 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I care to the extent that Trump impacts the whole world. He polutes it, in more ways than one.

I've always be anti-communist, by the way.

Pray tell us how he impacts your world.
0 Replies