monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Setanta

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 01:08 pm
@oralloy,
Incredibly, your claims are even weaker than Giujohn's. What law do you, or does he allege, the president would be assuring the enforcement of in selectively attempting to direct investigations by the FBI? What executive authority of which the president has 100%, do you allege entitles the president to selectively direct FBI investigations? The head of the FBI is the Director. If he does not direct investigations, but rather, the president does so, what's his purpose? Is the Director just a political crony who gets a cool office and a chauffeured car? I'm sure President Plump would like to think so.
oralloy

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 01:10 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Even if an obstruction can't be proven by a court of law, in the court of public opinion and common sense, it is clear (if folks are honest with themselves) Trump attempted to extract loyality from Comey. He tried to influence Comey to let the Flynn investigation go.

Good for Trump. So what?

revelette1 wrote:
The excuses the big wigs in the republican party pretty much tells it all when they say, he don't know any better or it was just a light weight thing. They know Trump did something improper and crossed a line he shouldn't have, but they don't care.

No. Trump did nothing even remotely improper.

revelette1 wrote:
If the main republicans (the ones who would have rather hand Pence or another republican but went with Trump in the end out of no choice) cared about the country they live in, they would bring up a political solution for the political problem that is Trump. Impeachment. But they won't because they don't care. IMO

The fact that Trump disagrees with the Democrats does not make him a problem. The problem is the way the Democrats abuse the law to conduct witch hunts against people who disagree with them.

The solution is not to help the Democrats harm their victims. The solution is to put an end to the Democratic Party.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 01:11 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:
Yes, Finn dAbuzz. You repeatedly demean me and my contributions to the discussion. You can play coy and pretend something otherwise, but you're not fooling me with your tactics. But if it makes you happy to do so, carry on.

Perhaps if you learned what you were talking about before you opened your mouth you would not be so comical.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 01:24 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Incredibly, your claims are even weaker than Giujohn's.

I have not assessed Giujohn's position, but my position is unassailable.

Setanta wrote:
What law do you, or does he allege, the president would be assuring the enforcement of in selectively attempting to direct investigations by the FBI?

I do not allege that the enforcement of any specific law was involved.

Setanta wrote:
What executive authority of which the president has 100%, do you allege entitles the president to selectively direct FBI investigations?

The FBI is part of the executive branch of the government. As such, the President's 100% control over the executive branch gives him 100% control over the FBI.

Setanta wrote:
The head of the FBI is the Director. If he does not direct investigations, but rather, the president does so, what's his purpose?

The Director of the FBI is a subordinate to the President. His job is to run the FBI according to the wishes of the President.
oralloy

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 01:27 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:
The pedigree means nothing. It's the substance that counts. And it takes the ability to engage in critical thinking to analyze the substance.

It's the substance that is lacking. You don't even understand basic legal concepts.

Debra Law wrote:
We are a nation of laws. We have an hierarchy of laws, with the U.S. Constitution as the supreme law of the land. Everything we do and say in this country is governed by the law. Why can't ALL of us speak about the law intelligently? That is the question.

I have no trouble doing so. As for why you don't, well I'll pass on that. It would probably be deemed a personal attack.
Debra Law

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 01:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Debra Law wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Do you deny that prosecutors will very often seek to influence criminal investigations? If the authorities are spending too much time trailing flunkies and not tailing a kingpin they will attempt to influence (if not direct) them to spend more time on the kingpin. Are they then all guilty of obstruction?

WTF is your point? Donald Trump is not a prosecutor. What does any of this have to do with a kingpin? Why are you still wandering in the land of the absurd?

You, not me, posted the contention that an endeavor to influence an investigation was evidence of obstruction.

I've cited an example of where an official might legitimately do this. Would he or she be guilty of obstruction? Yes or no? Words are important, particularly for lawyers. If this contention is untrue why should anyone have faith in the other ones you have advanced?

Your trying to present yourself as a legal authority here so you're not going to get the benefit of my doubt.

Read the statute that I already provided, 18 U.S.C. 1512(c). It starts with "Whoever corruptly . . ." That's the mens rea. Look at court cases that have defined the word "corruptly" to see what it means, i.e., how have our courts applied the mens rea element of the offense to the facts and circumstances set forth in the case. If a prosecutor corruptly influences an official proceeding, then yes ... a prosecutor could be charged with the offense.

camlok

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 01:30 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy offering his uninformed opinions AGAIN, legal things that he knows nothing about. No sources EVER.
Debra Law

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 01:43 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Incredibly, your claims are even weaker than Giujohn's. What law do you, or does he allege, the president would be assuring the enforcement of in selectively attempting to direct investigations by the FBI? What executive authority of which the president has 100%, do you allege entitles the president to selectively direct FBI investigations? The head of the FBI is the Director. If he does not direct investigations, but rather, the president does so, what's his purpose? Is the Director just a political crony who gets a cool office and a chauffeured car? I'm sure President Plump would like to think so.

Another important aspect is the integrity and independence of the FBI. This is something we must safeguard and hold precious if we wish to remain a nation of laws and not of men. If the bureau is merely a tool for the president's use whenever he wants to punish his enemies (or political adversaries) or safeguard his friends, then our country is no better than a despotic third-world country. The thing that must and should set us above others is our adherence to the rule of law.

Setanta

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 01:53 pm
A despotic third world country would probably suit President Plump to a "T"--then his daughter could advertise her trashy costume jewelry and accessories on the White House web site, and no one would say squat.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 02:05 pm
@Debra Law,
Yes of course, you're right. The key is "corruption" and not simply an endeavor to influence an investigation.

As McCarthy noted in his article prosecutors exercise influence on not only investigations but criminal proceedings by exercising discretion. Comey exercised discretion in relation to HRC and I'm not sure that was even within his authority, but if it is and if (as we know to be the case) the AG can exercise discretion, so can their boss. If he was urging Comey to give a good guy who has suffered enough a break that's not corrupt.

The primary difference between your argument and McCarthy's is interpretation of the facts, but that's not the lawyer's role it is the judge's or jury's. You don't have to agree with opposing counsel's arguments, but it's rarely smart to dismiss them out of hand as childish.

His opponents want to make much of everything Trump is alleged to have said if it serves their purposes but recall that Comey also testified that Trump told him that it would be good thing to uncover any collusion that his "satellites" might have engaged in with the Russians. Now that might have been because he knew Flynn was the only one to have done so on his behalf, but no one can possibly know that to be true based on what we know about this matter.

What I object to are lawyers who are offering "legal opinions" that Comey made or just about made a clear case for obstruction charges; for partisan political purposes (e.g. Lawrence Tribe) i.e. to damage the president of the United States.

On more than one occasion I've argued than citizens not directly involved in a legal proceeding are under no obligation to assume innocence until guilt is proven, but it seems to me that if someone is offering a legal opinion based on their professional education, experience and credentials they ought to at least keep it in mind until a lot more facts are known

Setanta

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 02:06 pm
@oralloy,
Your conceit is unassailable--but not either your knowledge of the constitution nor of legal statute. If you are someone's employer, and you order them to do an illegal act, you are just as culpable as that poor fool if he or she carries out your wishes. I suspect that your adulation of President Plump blinds you to logic as well as knowledge of the constitution and of law.

The president proposes, but Congress disposes. If at any time, Congress were not happy with the FBI, the constitution gives them to power not only to create executive branch agencies, but to abolish them, too.

Furthermore, as defined by the Supremes in Morrison versus Olson, 1988, the Director of the FBI is an inferior executive branch officer, and can only be appointed or dismissed with congressional approval.

The only thing unassailable about your posts is your display of invincible ignorance.
Debra Law

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 02:07 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

. . . . By the way, always good to see you here. Cheers

Thank you, and "cheers" to you too.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 02:07 pm
@lmur,
lmur wrote:

Assume that coveting thy neighbour's wife was a criminal offence. I am currently not under investigation for this. Therefore I am innocent.

That's my reading of Hightor's post.

Until such time as that is proven, I will go ahead and assume you are innocent. But, you should probably be under investigation if enough people have probable cause to assume you do cover your neighbors wife. Is she hot?

But, if you are not under investigation, why would I think that you do that?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 02:08 pm
@Debra Law,
This sounds nice and high minded but did you express the same outrage when it was learned HRC threatened someone with an IRS audit?

The fact of the matter is that the FBI is not independent of the Executive branch or the President. It must remain independent of corrupt influence as you argue, but that hardly means Comey should have been free to run the FBI anyway he thought was proper.
layman

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 02:10 pm
@layman,
Longtime, left-wing Harvard Law professor:

Alan Dershowitz wrote:
The president can, in theory, decide who to investigate, who to stop investigating, who to prosecute and who not to prosecute. The president is the head of the unified executive branch of government, and the Justice Department and the FBI work under him and he may order them to do what he wishes.

Yet virtually every Democratic pundit, in their haste to “get” President Trump, has willfully ignored these realities. In doing so they have endangered our civil liberties and constitutional rights.

So let’s move on and learn all the facts regarding the Russian efforts to intrude on American elections without that investigation being impeded by frivolous efforts to accuse President Trump of committing a crime by exercising his constitutional authority.

https://able2know.org/topic/355218-1125#post-6443187

I guess there's no real point in posting this again for the benefit of people who can't read to begin with, but.....
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 02:10 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:
Another important aspect is the integrity and independence of the FBI. This is something we must safeguard and hold precious if we wish to remain a nation of laws and not of men. If the bureau is merely a tool for the president's use whenever he wants to punish his enemies (or political adversaries) or safeguard his friends, then our country is no better than a despotic third-world country. The thing that must and should set us above others is our adherence to the rule of law.

Spare us the pompous bullshit.

The Democrats are at present abusing the law just to harm a president who disagrees with them.

When Obama was in power, the IRS was abused to persecute conservatives.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 02:12 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Comey is a liar.
Trump speaks the truth.

You find this problematic but not Trump is a liar, Comey speaks the truth?
oralloy

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 02:13 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:
oralloy offering his uninformed opinions AGAIN, legal things that he knows nothing about. No sources EVER.

Stop lying. I offered facts. I know more about this lone subject than you know about everything in the universe. And I always provide cites on request.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 02:15 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:
Read the statute that I already provided, 18 U.S.C. 1512(c). It starts with "Whoever corruptly . . ." That's the mens rea. Look at court cases that have defined the word "corruptly" to see what it means, i.e., how have our courts applied the mens rea element of the offense to the facts and circumstances set forth in the case. If a prosecutor corruptly influences an official proceeding, then yes ... a prosecutor could be charged with the offense.

That refers to attempts to mislead an investigation and throw it off the track. It doesn't refer to officials exercising discretion over which cases to investigate.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sat 10 Jun, 2017 02:16 pm
@glitterbag,
I'm mixed in that Finn often writes well, whether I agree with him or not, most often not. I sometimes need a rest from all the snide flurries. Presently he is in the cloakroom facing the wall. Who knew back then that I would find the essences of a Chicago elementary sch00l cloakro0m, many years later, to sometimes be excellent time out places. Eh, not me, I was a goody goody back then. It was mostly or maybe all boys that had to go stand in the cloakroom.
0 Replies